Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Lancer : (18 February 2019 - 09:24 PM)

Make his fur a red and black flannel pattern

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2019 - 09:10 PM)

Bonus points if you can work in a red and black flannel pattern on his chest plate.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2019 - 09:09 PM)

Might as well make it cliched. Lumberjack moose male and aristocratic deer female.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2019 - 08:16 PM)

Or their aristocratic deer.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2019 - 08:10 PM)

Thinking of making a pair of moose Transformer OCs, male and female. Thier a lovey dovy pair of lumberjacks

@  Paladin : (18 February 2019 - 06:56 PM)

they also have NOTORIOUSLY poor protection on their servers. do NOT keep a credit card on file there.

@  Telly : (18 February 2019 - 04:48 PM)

i just checked my past tfsource orders, and theres no sales tax charge

@  Arazyr : (18 February 2019 - 11:16 AM)

They haven't (yet, at least) on the stuff I currently have in my Stack. Haven't had them ship anything for a while, though, so I don't know if they will when I do...

@  Benbot : (18 February 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Does TFSource charge sales tax?

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2019 - 09:47 AM)

That's because, once upon a time, the people whom owned the animals weren't the people whom butchered them. So the pig was owned by a saxon who spoke english, but butchered by a french speaker. So a pig got cut up into PORC chops.

@  unluckiness : (18 February 2019 - 03:25 AM)

Hank Pym<<<< Hank Hill

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 February 2019 - 01:28 AM)

In that case, I don't see anything wrong with English speakers calling it what it is in English. Even though we technically use the French words for what comes out of it. "Beef", "pork"...

@  Bass X0 : (17 February 2019 - 02:04 PM)

I’d like a Siege Thundercracker who has his regular blue colors Cybertronian jet mode which transforms into a robot mode with his Action Master colors. Looks like it could be possible.

@  Paladin : (17 February 2019 - 11:57 AM)

The cow was slaughtered in the abattoir.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 February 2019 - 08:53 AM)

It's not a pretty name: abattoir is literally just the french word for slaughterhouse.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 February 2019 - 08:46 AM)

Giving it a pretty name won't make it a pretty place.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 February 2019 - 02:45 AM)

I do believe there is an aphorism about the U.S.A. and yogurt being different because after 200 years the latter will have a culture.

@  Maruten : (16 February 2019 - 11:30 PM)

There's another word for "abattoir"?! Honestly you people, "slaughterhouse" is a bit on the nose.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 February 2019 - 10:09 PM)

I learned this week that the French-style term abattoir is prevalent in the UK/Commonwealth in place of where U.S.-American Anglophones would say "slaughterhouse". Fascinating.

@  MEDdMI : (16 February 2019 - 08:51 PM)

Nonsense. Everybody loves all my posts.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (16 February 2019 - 08:27 PM)

Or dislike them. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Wish we could like the shout posts...

@  Patch : (16 February 2019 - 04:26 PM)

Uh oh. Here comes a flock of Wah-Wahs.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (16 February 2019 - 10:54 AM)

Oh, that makes more sense.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2019 - 07:31 AM)

Haven't given it to him yet. Not sure when I will, but soon. Wah Wah is what he calls any vehicle with a siren, and the little bugger just LOVES firetrucks. So I got him a rescue bot heatwave.

@  repowers : (16 February 2019 - 02:41 AM)

I hope he said "You've given me a wah-wah"

@  Dekafox : (16 February 2019 - 12:48 AM)

A red panda?

@  Rodimus Supreme : (15 February 2019 - 11:06 PM)

*WAH

@  Rodimus Supreme : (15 February 2019 - 11:05 PM)

THE HECK IS A WHAH WAH?!?!?!

@  wonko the sane? : (15 February 2019 - 08:54 PM)

Yay! My nephew's Wah Wah showed up today!

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 February 2019 - 08:12 PM)

BotBots are GLORIOUS

@  Pennpenn : (14 February 2019 - 07:07 PM)

A day best ignored if you're not the target demographic. Can be difficult sometimes though.

@  Paladin : (14 February 2019 - 11:55 AM)

Valentine's Day. bummer.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2019 - 08:55 AM)

Or you could come to canada, where bureaucracy is a publically funded art form! So garbage and used condoms trying to make a statement about something or other, not entirely sure what.

@  Nevermore : (14 February 2019 - 06:10 AM)

We've turned it into an art form.

@  Nevermore : (14 February 2019 - 06:10 AM)

You think you know bureaucracy, but you've never been to Germany.

@  RichardT1977 : (13 February 2019 - 11:48 PM)

I think a better counterpart would be "society".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (13 February 2019 - 11:24 PM)

Sounds like the cobra effect.

@  Echowarrior : (13 February 2019 - 05:58 PM)

I think a better counterpart for it would be bureaucracy.

@  MEDdMI : (13 February 2019 - 08:33 AM)

Is Verbesserschlimmerung a change that was intented to make things worse but made them better instead?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 February 2019 - 07:35 AM)

We have a similar word in english "government".

@  Nevermore : (13 February 2019 - 06:05 AM)

The meaning of this word is: A change that was intended as an improvement but ended up making things worse.

@  Nevermore : (13 February 2019 - 06:04 AM)

It's a portmanteau of "Verbesserung", which means "improvement", and "Verschlimmerung", which means "worsening".

@  Nevermore : (13 February 2019 - 06:04 AM)

Your new German word for today: Verschlimmbesserung.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 February 2019 - 02:17 PM)

Fortunately it's been long enough now that the possibility exists another label like Shout Factory or Arrow could pick it up and give it an updated release.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 February 2019 - 02:16 PM)

It's the same with their Dawn of the Dead blu-ray, and several others

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 February 2019 - 02:11 PM)

In Volcano's case it isn't so much a case just of amazon or eBay sellers... it looks like rather than releasing it directly, Fox licensed it out to Starz/Anchor Bay, and it's subsequently gone out of print

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 February 2019 - 01:28 PM)

There's Amazon sellers for you.

@  Telly : (12 February 2019 - 12:49 PM)

thought about buying volcano on bluray last night, until i saw the price on amazon: $135. the used ones arent much cheaper at $90. i know the 3p sellers can set any price they want, but come on. $90-$135 for a 20 year old movie that was only so-so?

@  unluckiness : (12 February 2019 - 05:12 AM)

GOt my hopes up there for a bit. Last I heard it was nebulously in 2019.

Photo
- - - - -

the Aladdin remake

44 replies to this topic

#1 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 11267 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:19 PM

Robin, I am so SO sorry... :( 

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#2 Rust

Rust

all that was real is left behind

• Supporter
  • 44849 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:26 PM

With the amount of CGI showcased in the trailer alone I'm left wondering why even bother with live action shots at all? I'd probably be a lot more forgiving of the film if it were a full on CG remake. As it stands, I am forcibly reminded of the Spy Kids movies.

You can definitely tell Disney's CG "A Team" was working on the Lion King instead.

Edited by Rust, 10 February 2019 - 09:28 PM.

Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know
So tell me do you wanna go?

#3 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18609 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:44 PM

Part of me thinks it's unfinished CGI - because really, there's no other reasonable excuse.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#4 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 44849 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:49 PM

I mean, they thought that Jafar was acceptable so...

Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know

#5 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 26959 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:53 PM

Aside from Jafar, I was okay with everything I saw in that trailer...

...right up until that last bit with Genie, at which point I was like

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#6 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Pinky to pinky~

• Citizen
  • 3640 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:09 AM

The Cave of Wonders looks so boring just carved into the wall like that.

#7 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10532 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:10 AM

Oh man, it looks just a little bit above the level of Once Upon A Time's Aladdin stuff. That's... not great.

#8 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!

• Supporter
  • 17441 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:11 AM

Wow... I was kind of expecting a CG Genie that Will Smith would voice.  Like, might vaguely resemble him, but it would have to be a bit cartoonish for it not to fall into the awful uncanny valley when he's doing Genie magic.

But no.  It's just Will Smith with CG Blue and pointy ears.

That's... disappointing on a whole new level.

Reminds me of the whole debacle with Robin Williams trying to make Disney not use him to sell the movie (which resulted in him refusing to return for the second movie) and makes me wonder if the Genie in the original would have been basically an animated Robin Williams had he not been so insistent.

I definitely miss the Al Hirschfeld inspired visual style, but they were never going to do that in live action.  Could have done it with the Genie, but.... yeah, that's obviously not happening.

Edited by The Doctor Who, 11 February 2019 - 01:15 AM.

nzo8WYb.png

#9 unluckiness

unluckiness

OH MY COD

• Citizen
  • 18202 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:14 AM

Everything about this makes me wish it bombs hard just so that no more of them gets made. 

The cave is a static hunk of rock, Jafar is boring when he was the second most memorable character and he sounds bored to be in this movie, and lol genie. Everything Will Smith touches nowadays turns to crap.  

Edited by unluckiness, 11 February 2019 - 06:24 AM.

xOyvpt9.png

#10 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16577 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:20 AM

Jafar looks (and sounds) like a sabotage attempt. Put the Disney Renaissance films down and back away slowly.

They learned the wrong lesson from the recent Jungle Book remake. They should have done other mid-tier films, like the Aristocats or the Rescuers. You cannot remake some of the most beloved family films ever.

#11 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14510 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:06 AM

We saw some early footage at CinemaCon last year, specifically segments from "One Jump Ahead" and "Prince Ali" that looked much better than what they've show so far. The film does have a very specific, Bollywood-inspired look and I think that is what is throwing everyone off and is causing the cries of it looking "cheap", but from what I've seen it works in context.

Yep.

#12 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3726 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:08 AM

... please, please, let this be the one that kills the live-action Disney remakes.

I'm not strong enough to handle the prospects of a live-action Lilo and Stitch.

"He learned, almost too late, that man is a feeling creature and, because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned, too late for himself, that men have to make their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And, when men seek such perfection, they find there's only death, fire, loss, disillusionment, the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to toil and misery. It can't be given; it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from man himself."

#13 unluckiness

unluckiness

OH MY COD

• Citizen
  • 18202 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:19 AM

We saw some early footage at CinemaCon last year, specifically segments from "One Jump Ahead" and "Prince Ali" that looked much better than what they've show so far. The film does have a very specific, Bollywood-inspired look and I think that is what is throwing everyone off and is causing the cries of it looking "cheap", but from what I've seen it works in context.

Why would they want to give it an indian aesthetic when Aladdin ostensibly takes place in the middle East?

xOyvpt9.png

#14 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6021 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:13 AM

Why would they want to give it an indian aesthetic when Aladdin ostensibly takes place in the middle East?

Have you seen the animated film? In Disney's eyes, that's the same place.

j1GI7Gi.gif

#15 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 26959 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:48 AM

Cinderella really is going to end up being the only decent installment of these recent live action remakes, isn't it?

Oh man, it looks just a little bit above the level of Once Upon A Time's Aladdin stuff. That's... not great.

Just from how this Jafar looks and sounds in this trailer alone, Once Upon a Time (both the normal and Wonderland versions) did their take on Jafar far better, even giving him a developed backstory that shows just how and why he became the thoroughly evil man that he is.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#16 Glenn

Glenn

Sitting next to me may result in Smart-ass poisoning

• Supporter
  • 10146 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:49 AM

Have you seen the animated film? In Disney's eyes, that's the same place.

The animated film borrowed heavily from a movie called The Thief of Bagdad.. which was in the Middle East/West Africa.

The original story of Aladdin was Chinese.. so figure that one out LOL.

#17 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16577 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:32 PM

Jafar in "Descendants" sounded better than this.

#18 Glenn

Glenn

Sitting next to me may result in Smart-ass poisoning

• Supporter
  • 10146 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:18 PM

It seems the animated voice of Jafar took over the role on Broadway in November.

#19 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 44849 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:27 PM

I've seen better output from Bollywood.

#20 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16674 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:32 PM

That is some TERRIBLE looking CGI.

On the one hand I'm willing to grant them "unfinished" status, but for gosh sakes if it's THAT unfinished don't show anybody.

-ZacWilliam, that was Disney Channel made for TV level CGI
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users