Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM)

Wait. Slivers were bishies???

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2019 - 10:40 PM)

Not necessarily. It's possible they're stuck in "yaoi anatomy"

@  Ashley : (22 May 2019 - 10:35 PM)

I think Slivers in MTG have crossed the bishonen line and looped back around to monstrous

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM)

Maxi, provigo, loblaws.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM)

Which store brand is it?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

I need to buy more "no name" foods. This pizza is freaking awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

I watched Death Wish 5 last night and clearly recognized Toronto streets; didn't pull me out of Bronson's 1-man war on drugs or fashion or whatever it was that pissed him off that time

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:49 PM)

it's nice to finally be thought of as exotic by somebody! lol

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:48 PM)

In an "I cannot possibly make my brain ignore the location I'm familiar with and pretend it's whatever the story claims it is" way?

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Question for those of you living in exotic locations such as the US or the UK: If you watch a movie or a TV show that features a real-life location as a stand-in for someplace else, and you recognize the real-life location due to having been there in person, does that pull you out of the story?

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM)

Maybe you should have installed macOS in your house instead.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 May 2019 - 04:40 PM)

Nothing like coming home after a long day to find a bird in the house. And then once you sit down for a well-earned rest after leading the bird back outside, you find it had a friend. A friend who *really* doesn't understand how windows work...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:26 PM)

Bingo. The big polls don't tell people what's actually happening because that doesn't sell.

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 AM)

IIRC there are good polls but data is easily manipulated so they give people what they want to hear

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 10:58 AM)

The only way to get people interested in politics is to make into reality TV. So they lie to do it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 May 2019 - 03:54 PM)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Stay out of the sun or melt into a pile of gross slop.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 May 2019 - 10:26 AM)

Greasy, disappointing and still managing to be over priced?

@  Lancer : (18 May 2019 - 10:22 AM)

... Yes, it is!

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2019 - 09:48 AM)

Life's a fillet of fish!

@  unluckiness : (18 May 2019 - 08:53 AM)

ow the edge

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 07:03 AM)

a reminder that life is an unrepentant hellscape where everyone & everything you know will eventually betray you.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:45 AM)

You know, this election is what has finally broken me of any confidence at any point of pre-polling data. I mean, it's always been sketchy, but this is just... aaaargh!

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:08 AM)

I was going to make an Auspol election thread in P&R, but the outcome so far has made me feel physically ill.

@  Gamma V : (18 May 2019 - 03:28 AM)

Haven't been here in a long time.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 03:16 AM)

I have heard that, it's rather disappointing. Ah, maybe they'll just leech each others stores of "awful racist vote" and not go anywhere.

@  Trpodeca : (17 May 2019 - 11:09 PM)

I voted. Boy there are a worrying amount of parties which sound like fascists.

@  Pennpenn : (17 May 2019 - 06:55 PM)

For those in Australia, it is a federal election today. Go Vote! It's Mandatory!

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 May 2019 - 04:19 PM)

Humor? I 'ardly know 'or!

Photo
- - - - -

the Aladdin remake

112 replies to this topic

#1 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 11721 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:19 PM

Robin, I am so SO sorry... :( 

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#2 Rust

Rust

all that was real is left behind

• Supporter
  • 45476 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:26 PM

With the amount of CGI showcased in the trailer alone I'm left wondering why even bother with live action shots at all? I'd probably be a lot more forgiving of the film if it were a full on CG remake. As it stands, I am forcibly reminded of the Spy Kids movies.

You can definitely tell Disney's CG "A Team" was working on the Lion King instead.

Edited by Rust, 10 February 2019 - 09:28 PM.

Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know
So tell me do you wanna go?

#3 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18755 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:44 PM

Part of me thinks it's unfinished CGI - because really, there's no other reasonable excuse.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#4 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45476 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:49 PM

I mean, they thought that Jafar was acceptable so...

Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know

#5 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 27650 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:53 PM

Aside from Jafar, I was okay with everything I saw in that trailer...

...right up until that last bit with Genie, at which point I was like

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#6 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Pinky to pinky~

• Citizen
  • 3682 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:09 AM

The Cave of Wonders looks so boring just carved into the wall like that.

#7 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10579 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:10 AM

Oh man, it looks just a little bit above the level of Once Upon A Time's Aladdin stuff. That's... not great.

#8 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!

• Supporter
  • 17853 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:11 AM

Wow... I was kind of expecting a CG Genie that Will Smith would voice.  Like, might vaguely resemble him, but it would have to be a bit cartoonish for it not to fall into the awful uncanny valley when he's doing Genie magic.

But no.  It's just Will Smith with CG Blue and pointy ears.

That's... disappointing on a whole new level.

Reminds me of the whole debacle with Robin Williams trying to make Disney not use him to sell the movie (which resulted in him refusing to return for the second movie) and makes me wonder if the Genie in the original would have been basically an animated Robin Williams had he not been so insistent.

I definitely miss the Al Hirschfeld inspired visual style, but they were never going to do that in live action.  Could have done it with the Genie, but.... yeah, that's obviously not happening.

Edited by The Doctor Who, 11 February 2019 - 01:15 AM.

nzo8WYb.png

#9 unluckiness

unluckiness

THE HUGGING STRONG in color

• Citizen
  • 18616 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:14 AM

Everything about this makes me wish it bombs hard just so that no more of them gets made. 

The cave is a static hunk of rock, Jafar is boring when he was the second most memorable character and he sounds bored to be in this movie, and lol genie. Everything Will Smith touches nowadays turns to crap.  

Edited by unluckiness, 11 February 2019 - 06:24 AM.

xOyvpt9.png

#10 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16671 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:20 AM

Jafar looks (and sounds) like a sabotage attempt. Put the Disney Renaissance films down and back away slowly.

They learned the wrong lesson from the recent Jungle Book remake. They should have done other mid-tier films, like the Aristocats or the Rescuers. You cannot remake some of the most beloved family films ever.

#11 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14573 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:06 AM

We saw some early footage at CinemaCon last year, specifically segments from "One Jump Ahead" and "Prince Ali" that looked much better than what they've show so far. The film does have a very specific, Bollywood-inspired look and I think that is what is throwing everyone off and is causing the cries of it looking "cheap", but from what I've seen it works in context.

Yep.

#12 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3876 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:08 AM

... please, please, let this be the one that kills the live-action Disney remakes.

I'm not strong enough to handle the prospects of a live-action Lilo and Stitch.

#13 unluckiness

unluckiness

THE HUGGING STRONG in color

• Citizen
  • 18616 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:19 AM

We saw some early footage at CinemaCon last year, specifically segments from "One Jump Ahead" and "Prince Ali" that looked much better than what they've show so far. The film does have a very specific, Bollywood-inspired look and I think that is what is throwing everyone off and is causing the cries of it looking "cheap", but from what I've seen it works in context.

Why would they want to give it an indian aesthetic when Aladdin ostensibly takes place in the middle East?

xOyvpt9.png

#14 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6046 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:13 AM

Why would they want to give it an indian aesthetic when Aladdin ostensibly takes place in the middle East?

Have you seen the animated film? In Disney's eyes, that's the same place.

j1GI7Gi.gif

#15 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 27650 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:48 AM

Cinderella really is going to end up being the only decent installment of these recent live action remakes, isn't it?

Oh man, it looks just a little bit above the level of Once Upon A Time's Aladdin stuff. That's... not great.

Just from how this Jafar looks and sounds in this trailer alone, Once Upon a Time (both the normal and Wonderland versions) did their take on Jafar far better, even giving him a developed backstory that shows just how and why he became the thoroughly evil man that he is.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#16 Glenn

Glenn

The fault in our Stars(Lord)

• Supporter
  • 10514 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:49 AM

Have you seen the animated film? In Disney's eyes, that's the same place.

The animated film borrowed heavily from a movie called The Thief of Bagdad.. which was in the Middle East/West Africa.

The original story of Aladdin was Chinese.. so figure that one out LOL.

#17 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16671 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:32 PM

Jafar in "Descendants" sounded better than this.

#18 Glenn

Glenn

The fault in our Stars(Lord)

• Supporter
  • 10514 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:18 PM

It seems the animated voice of Jafar took over the role on Broadway in November.

#19 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45476 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:27 PM

I've seen better output from Bollywood.

#20 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16910 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:32 PM

That is some TERRIBLE looking CGI.

On the one hand I'm willing to grant them "unfinished" status, but for gosh sakes if it's THAT unfinished don't show anybody.

-ZacWilliam, that was Disney Channel made for TV level CGI
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users