Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

There's always a sense of irony to it, but what the ratio between irony (you really failed) and straightworwardness (at least you achieved something) is depends on the situation and the speaker.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:12 PM)

The meaning can be both literal (you succeed on one level but fail on another), or it can be utterly ironic (you fail in every regard but the most technical; or even worse, "you really gave your best"), and anything in between.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:10 PM)

For example: A singer can hit the notes really well, but clearly isn't a native speaker and what little of the lyrics you can make out sounds nothing like what it's supposed to be.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:06 PM)

The premise seems to be the mixing of technical and aesthetic technical qualities towards the overall success.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

But both "hollow victory" and pyrrhic victory" are referring to having lost as much as you've gained. IE; a battle was won but both armies were destroyed. The town being seiged is victorious, but all the soldiers are still dead. Nevermore's concept is more "You did it, but it's so ugly we don't know if you actually succeeded".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Alternately, one could probably also call it a "hollow victory".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Example: In the Powerpuff Girls episode "Uh Oh Dynamo", the monster-of-the-day was a really tough, giant-size one that required the use of a really destructive mech to defeat it. While the monster was ultimately beaten, the city of Townsville was utterly trashed by the mech's weapons in the process. So, while the city was saved from the monster, it was harmed even worse by the mech that saved it, making the victory bittersweet.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:32 AM)

@Nevermore, sounds to me like what one might call a "bittersweet victory". The goal was met, but at great cost or by disastrous result that call into question if the achieved goal could even be called a success.

Photo

The Boys - streaming on Amazon Prime Video

22 replies to this topic

#1 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9898 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:01 AM

In a world where superheroes embrace the darker side of their massive celebrity and fame, THE BOYS centers on a group of vigilantes known informally as “The Boys,” who set out to take down corrupt superheroes with no more than their blue-collar grit and a willingness to fight dirty. THE BOYS is a fun and irreverent take on what happens when superheroes – who are as popular as celebrities, as influential as politicians and as revered as Gods – abuse their superpowers rather than use them for good. It’s the powerless against the super powerful as The Boys embark on a heroic quest to expose the truth about “The Seven,” and Vought – the multi-billion dollar conglomerate that manages these superheroes. Coming Summer 2019.

Based on the 2006-2012 comic book series by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson at WildStorm Productions, later Dynamite Entertainment.

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#2 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3763 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 31 January 2019 - 02:26 PM

i LOVE the book...i really do...but i feel like its gonna be, like PREACHER, a mediocre adaptation at best...there are so, so many things that i feel like the general viewing public either wont "get" or wont "like". From the hamster, to the origin of Mothers Milks powers, it's take on 9/11, "The Old Timer" (a really vulgar and cynical take on Stan Lee), The Superman analogs rape scenes, Herogasm...

Unless they make it more of a "Surface Adaptation" and just take some of it and tone the rest down, which will leave probably all of the fans disappointed, BUT make it more digestible for regular people...I just don't see this doing too great.

Edited by D Immortalis, 31 January 2019 - 02:27 PM.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#3 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22351 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:32 PM

There's also the thing about not getting Simon Pegg to play Wee Hughie.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#4 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1226 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:55 PM

There's also the thing about not getting Simon Pegg to play Wee Hughie.

Too old. He's playing Hughie's dad.
LOOKDOWN.png

#5 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8671 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:43 AM

Criiiipes, I read Herogasm and certain issues of that. Yeeeeah, it'll be toned down. Might actually be better in a different way? Like, how the teen sidekick group would be adapted now? (was The Boys a decade ago? How much of the social media paradigm has evolved now? Not so much?)

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#6 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9898 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:00 PM

Here is a new red band trailer from IGN on YouTube.

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

#7 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32894 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:42 PM

Totally on-board with this.

“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#8 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 7986 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:38 PM

I got a Powers vibe from that.

#9 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9898 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:09 PM

Another trailer:

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

#10 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

• Citizen
  • 3763 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 03:08 AM

So, i'm just finishing up episode 4. And I don't think I've been this disappointed in an adaptation of a great comic since Preacher.

Missing characters and watered down ideas seem to define everything that's happened so far. This isn't just "not good", its flat out BAD. All of the FUN of the books is just...gone. Butcher is nothing like himself and doesn't even have Terror!

I really wish they'd have tried either to do a faithful adaptation or create something original.

Bland, Boring, and Bad.

#11 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8671 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 05:22 AM

It's boring? What about all the sex? Toned down. I'm curious about why they changed up the Aquaman of the group.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#12 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14172 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:41 AM

started watching this morning.  so far so good.

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#13 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 8037 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 05:04 AM

Spoilers about things that didn’t happen:

Spoiler

I was way wrong. Not completely sure I like where we’re going instead.

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/

#14 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7760 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 05:55 PM

Not having read the source material, I didn't have any qualms with the show and breezed through all 8 episodes in a single afternoon.

Karl Urban killing baddies with a baby was just dark, epic fun.

The eighth episode kind of ended abruptly like it should have been a 10-episode series.  Hopefully, this is just part 1, and Amazon doesn't cancel it like the Tick.

#15 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7760 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:18 PM

Double-post.

Since Comixology had the first two Omnibus releases of The Boys on 50% off, I went ahead and dipped into the source material.

I gotta say that I actually like the show's set up and execution more so far.  Especially The Boys not operating in any official capacity and without powers/enhancements.

I'm only through issue 7 or 8 so I may change my mind later.  Tek-Knight is weird.

#16 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8671 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 07:48 PM

I didn't realize The Deep is Chace Crawford. He's not blonde. This is hilarious though.

Do the others in the team have their own spoofs?

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#17 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65980 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:35 PM

The blonde woman has a shampoo commercial.

ACItEK8.png

#18 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

• Citizen
  • 3763 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 02:56 PM

Double-post.

Since Comixology had the first two Omnibus releases of The Boys on 50% off, I went ahead and dipped into the source material.

I gotta say that I actually like the show's set up and execution more so far.  Especially The Boys not operating in any official capacity and without powers/enhancements.

I'm only through issue 7 or 8 so I may change my mind later.  Tek-Knight is weird.

I dunno...I feel like theres so much of the gross and fun elements of the first few books being left out...like ALL of the sordid affairs of Teenage Kix, Starlights actual introduction to the 7, Queen Maeves whole attitude, THE HAMSTER!

Most of all I miss The Legend. watching someone do the depraved stan lee gimmick on tv would have made me laugh so damn hard.

#19 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7760 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 05:02 PM

And I guess that's where my tastes differ.  The comic is very much a parody of existing comic universes.

Tek Knight is Batman (along with Nightwing and Tim Drake Robin counterparts).  They reference a Wolverine-esque character that needs to beef up his arms to contain his claws.  The Legend is Stan Lee, etc..

Sure, Homelander is like a Cap/Superman love child, Mauve is Wonder Woman, the Deep is Aquaman, and I don't think you can depart too far from the source material and still call it The Boys.  However, in a way, the show actually makes itself more of its own genuine universe rather than a dark mirror of DC/Marvel.

Also, the sheer depravity of the characters in the comic seems to exist sheerly for shock value.  The Tek Knight arc was stupid.  Five year plan is not much better.

I think the show keeping things contained to the Seven and Hughie helped keep much needed focus.  Otherwise, it would have been more like a spy thriller with comic book characters in the background of an alternative dimension, which is how the comic reads. 

Edited by Betty Nor, 03 August 2019 - 05:02 PM.

#20 Sukoshiko

Sukoshiko

Demented Genius at Play

• Citizen
  • 921 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:16 PM

Never read the comic/source material. I actually enjoyed this for just what it is.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users