Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Steevy Maximus : (02 April 2020 - 11:07 AM)

I could never master oral bullshittery. But in my day I was quite adept with the written word.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 April 2020 - 11:32 PM)

You have mastered the art of Bulljive. You must use this power only for good, or entertainment.

@  Sabrblade : (01 April 2020 - 08:58 PM)

This morning, for one of my online classes, I had to give a positive oral presentation about a play that I hated having to watch. I went into it completely unprepared and just winged it. My professor LOVED my presentation and thought it was excellent. She believed every word I said and honestly thought that I enjoyed that miserable play. Best April Fools ever!

@  ▲ndrusi : (01 April 2020 - 10:06 AM)

Happy Everyone Thinks They're A Comedian Now Day!

@  Donocropolis : (31 March 2020 - 05:45 AM)

Who, I might add, has never been photographed together with Byteman. Just sayin'.

@  Sabrblade : (30 March 2020 - 10:27 PM)

Bruce Wayne's cyberpunk cousin?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 09:27 PM)

Laser Wayne

@  Sabrblade : (30 March 2020 - 09:08 PM)

Luther Unum

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 07:09 PM)

Or Lee Derwon.

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:51 PM)

Not to be confused with Leader I

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:50 PM)

He was Leader Uno

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:50 PM)

He was the OTHER Leader 1

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 March 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Or Sideways.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 05:26 PM)

On the other hand, this is Armada we're talking about. It could have actually been Metroplex.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 March 2020 - 11:08 PM)

Oh yeah, that was Fort Max. My bad.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:12 PM)

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Peritus_Maximus

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:11 PM)

Christmas Maximus?

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 March 2020 - 01:13 PM)

At least the ozone layer is healing. unless this is a 0.0000000001% thing it's sounds like good news.

@  ▲ndrusi : (28 March 2020 - 09:27 AM)

(But only pretty sure, not 100% sure.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (28 March 2020 - 09:26 AM)

Pretty sure y'all were thinking of Fortress Maximus yesterday.

@  Bass X0 : (28 March 2020 - 12:38 AM)

Dare! Dare to believe you can survive 2020!

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 March 2020 - 08:18 PM)

Baja Blast is back at retail!

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 March 2020 - 03:47 PM)

Shame he wasn't around more. He seemed like such a jolly, happy soul.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (27 March 2020 - 02:16 PM)

No, he was definitely Metroplex. You could tell because he was in Metroplex's distinctive red and green coloration.

@  Paladin : (27 March 2020 - 02:11 PM)

that was Leader-1. or possibly Jolt. maybe Grindor...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (27 March 2020 - 01:57 PM)

Metroplex was in Armada, in a flashback. He was the same size as everybody else. I thought that was the joke.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (27 March 2020 - 12:39 PM)

@Rodimus Supreme: Gah! You are right! How'd I get that mixed up? x.x;

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 March 2020 - 12:14 PM)

There is no Metroplex. Only Zuul.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:13 AM)

@Tm_Silverclaw: There is no Armada Metroplex, he was in Cybertron.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:12 AM)

And they'd be better off just retooling Metroplex and Fortress Maximus to be somewhat more accurate and changing/adding parts for interaction with later play gimmicks.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:11 AM)

I honestly would prefer that for scale purposes.

@  Cyoti : (27 March 2020 - 11:07 AM)

They can redo all the CW combiners as Titan Class figures like Predaking/Devastator.

@  Dekafox : (27 March 2020 - 07:52 AM)

They could just redo Metroplex again too. Especially if it's going to be S3 based. They could also do another Primus to go with the coming Unicron.

@  OverDrive73 : (26 March 2020 - 10:56 PM)

If anyone is bored, or interested... I just added the last chapter to my fanfic comic in Allspark Pictures

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (26 March 2020 - 10:54 PM)

And no.. We could always get Titan Class Superion.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (26 March 2020 - 10:53 PM)

We need Titan Class Transformers Armada Metroplex.

@  Telly : (26 March 2020 - 08:39 PM)

ill be surprised if scorpy isnt the last titan

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 March 2020 - 05:57 PM)

Too bad a new character titan class figure is pretty much an impossibility.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 March 2020 - 05:56 PM)

I want a titan class, really good looking bucket wheel excavator. Like Cybertron Metroplex was supposed to be but didn't quite pull off.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 March 2020 - 03:32 PM)

I just taped up a shower curtain and took my first shower in three weeks. It was heavenly.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (26 March 2020 - 11:48 AM)

I would buy that...

@  Maximus Ambus : (24 March 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Studio Series 100 Titan Class Driller.

@  Sabrblade : (23 March 2020 - 09:05 PM)

I'll give ya 25 cents, a pack of gum, and some peanuts.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 March 2020 - 07:35 PM)

I can give ya twenty bucks for it.

@  Paladin : (23 March 2020 - 04:28 PM)

hoarder? I hardly know 'er?

@  Dekafox : (23 March 2020 - 01:52 PM)

FOR THE HORDE!

@  repowers : (23 March 2020 - 01:48 PM)

* hordes shrubberies *

@  Telly : (23 March 2020 - 01:46 PM)

YET...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 March 2020 - 01:22 PM)

At least we haven't resorted to shouting "NI" at old ladies.

@  CORVUS : (23 March 2020 - 11:04 AM)

Keep it out, and I won't reply to it.

Photo
- - - - -

Transformers Prime, the lost season

58 replies to this topic

#41 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35139 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:13 PM

I mean. That's not a false promise. They simply went in a different direction from what you wanted.

But really, you have them survive, and so much of the plot changes. What reason does Predaking have to eventually oppose Megatron? The whole point of that subplot is that he's legitimately loyal, and Megatron's paranoia about him drives him to betray him - because Megatron can't abide someone as strong as or stronger than him or conceive that they'd be loyal anyway. Giving Predaking everything he wanted and still doing that changes his entire character. And where does Shockwave get the idea to use cybermatter? You lose so much as far as characterization for multiple characters, set up for the story to come, and basically, again, make it solely about selling their toys.

Edited by Tyranno, 22 January 2019 - 09:13 PM.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#42 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nut

• Citizen
  • 29688 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:43 PM

There are a million different directions they could have taken Predaking in. They didn't have to be beholden to the one they ultimately chose to go with. Shucks, it's not even the direction that Hasbro conceived for the character in their promotional material and toy bios. What we got for him was neat (if a bit of a retread of Dreadwing, who had already been done very well as a loyal Decepticon manipulated and lied to by his superiors), but it was not the only direction that was available for them to take him in.

And like I said, they could have written it so that the project is thwarted by the Autobots instead of having Megatron call it quits, allowing the Cybermatter to still come into play where it did.

Or, hey, here's another option. They could have ended Season 2 as it was supposed to with Cybertron being restored, but done so by Megatron, placing the planet under Decepticon control and forcing the Autobots to retreat to Earth from a Decepticon-ruled Cybertron, allowing all of Season 3 to be about the Autobots trying to take back Cybertron from Megatron and fight off his brand new Predacon forces (brought to him by the newly-resurfaced Shockwave) that have been sent to Earth to hunt down the now-scattered Autobots. And Ultra Magnus's return could have been due to his detecting the revival of Cybertron, and in turn retreating to Earth to join up with Optimus there, with his ship coming equipped with the new armor and weapons that the toys had. Predaking himself could still be the same as before, but being one of many Predacon beasts instead of by himself. And when he becomes the first of the horde to transform and develop sentience, even though he'd be genuinely loyal, Megatron's paranoia would drive him to rethink his Predacon army, fearing that Predaking may decide to usurp him with the horde at his beck and call, leading to a clash between Megatron and Predaking that would culminate near the end with the Autobots taking advantage of the Decepticon/Predacon conflict to finally liberate Cybertron from its oppressors. Megatron would be destroyed and the Autobots would make peace with Predaking, permitting him to take the remaining Predacons and go find a place on Cybertron for them to call home, no longer slaves to Megatron's warmongering. Shockwave and Starscream would retreat like they did in the show, while Knock Out still switches to the winning side. And to still give Bumblebee his voice back, the final battle could have been set at the Omega Lock's sanctuary, with him still falling into its energy field (which would have been activated since, at the same time as the final battle, the Autobots would be attempting to use it to reformat Cybertron back to normal from its Decepticon version that Megatron made it into back in the Season 2 finale), getting healed, and killing Megatron in a surprise blow with the Star Saber. Of course, with Megatron dying on Cybertron, Predacons Rising probably wouldn't have been made, but while it was still good, the way the actual Season 3 ended was still good enough that the epilogue movie was merely a nice bonus rather than a necessity.

Now, I KNOW that all of this couldn't have been done with how this show managed its budget, but that all goes back to my original statement of how the show blew its budget on trying to look too good for its own good rather than scaling back its animation costs to allow other aspects of its production to share more of the budget than they got. Less focus on making the icing be the most delicious icing on the face of the Earth to give more attention to actually baking the cake.

Edited by Sabrblade, 23 January 2019 - 10:28 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#43 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 50876 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:46 PM

I mean, that's still a bunch of distinct designs to keep track of, and I feel like if they went that route, the narrative would change that "only Predaking was a character and they were too cheap to hire multiple voice actors."

The "narrative" would likely change if the reality did, yes. The show wasn't just going to somehow not show the limitations of its production. And all things considered, it came pretty close, in the sense that, you know, the particular pastiche of what the execs wanted now and what the showrunners were already doing, vs. any other hypothetical one someone can propose instead, still resulted in the best season of the series.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#44 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35139 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:54 PM

That... feels like something you'd be able to see in every Transformers show, especially as prone to its earlier releases were to the debut queue and "remove characters from the cast to set up this plot point."

Beast Wars season 3 is especially affected by this kind of thing, arguably more Prime ever was, in my opinion.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#45 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 50876 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:08 PM

Well, not every show has a "the narrative" against it, apparently, so it's okay to acknowledge how Beast Wars is kind of a mess of conflicting directives and that the character stuff that mattered was written within the random-ass landscape it had to occupy as opposed to driving it, while Prime was a show pitched to much higher expectations and somehow not actually much more successful at hanging together. And uh, you know, followed Animated, which was the most cohesive piece of Transformers fiction of its scope that will likely have ever happened in the franchise, but screw you Animated, shut up, we already know you're perfect. 

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#46 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35139 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:21 PM

I disagree with both those statements, and found Animated season 3 to also be a mess and a bigger let down than most people do, but I guess that's just how opinions work.

#47 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 4019 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:42 PM

I'll remember the Beast Hunters we got for the scene where the Autobots kill a bunch of newborn babies.

#48 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 50876 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:09 PM

but I guess that's just how opinions work.

Yep, some of them are wrong. = P

#49 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 18144 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:59 PM

What you're all missing is that it's my favorite fiction that does everything right and transcends its limitations, which you'd only ignore if you were being willfully ignorant. There are plenty of valid complaints about your favorites, obviously.

#50 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35139 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:02 AM

I mean, I think Prime has its problems. Season 2 can be pretty repetitive, off the top of my head. But I think its issues do tend to get overinflated while other shows' tend to get downplayed.

Edited by Tyranno, 23 January 2019 - 12:02 AM.

#51 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 50876 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:48 AM

Well, part of that is the tone and scale. If its faults had been limited to the level of BW or Animated (which obviously don't think was the case, but setting that aside) its dire need to be taken so damn seriously would have ... led people to take them more seriously all the same. There's no "just go with it, it's fun" to fall back on. And that naturally has nothing to do with anything we've been talking about here, but it's a factor in that general perception.

#52 The Magic Man

The Magic Man
  • Citizen
  • 1718 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:18 AM

I just liked the cool looking dragon and thought the shorter format of BH helped actually get across the characters succinctly...

Anything COULD be better. But taking Rik Alvarez's word that it WOULD have been better is a fool's game and we know it.

#53 LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce

See if you can take the power of justice!

• Retired Staff
  • 2362 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:20 AM

Personally Beast Hunters was more fulfilling than anything I've heard about the scrapped season 3.

Agreed. This planned season three doesn't really sound like it would do anything for me.
Besides, Beast Hunters got us the Prime Predacon toys. They're remarkably unique in the world of Transformers figures, and I'm glad they happened/I have them.

B3v0h0W.png

#54 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

Creator of all things Transformers

• Citizen
  • 5502 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:26 PM

The biggest problem with the show actualy doing Predacons beyond Predaking is that they would've either 

1- Have to bee underpowered wimps like Insecticons had to become when we got more of them

2- Have to be fleshed out in less than 4 episodes before the finale that had to finish the show's plot, and that would lead to either them being as bland as the PREDACONS RISING guys were or the plot being beyond rushed

3- The show's last 5 episodes would have to be animated with real life stop motion and paper cut outs because we were told the Predacon models were so detailed they cost as much as an entire 3D enviroments, so their badly managed budget would in that point COMPLETELY IMPLODE on itself.

So there is really no universe where the predacons clones would actualy be produced succesfully. Using their failed production as a plot point is honestly to god the best choice the show could've made with that set up. If you want something to complain about that particular subject it should be that the show decided to do a fetch-quest Season 3 again or whatever.

#55 The Magic Man

The Magic Man
  • Citizen
  • 1718 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:57 PM

Also, the whole "have the autobots kill all the baby predacons" worked as a great character moment for Starscream, Megatron, Predaking, the Wreckers and was a really good set up for Predaking's turn.

#56 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 50876 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 01:05 PM

The biggest problem with the show actualy doing Predacons beyond Predaking is that they would've either 

1- Have to bee underpowered wimps like Insecticons had to become when we got more of them

2- Have to be fleshed out in less than 4 episodes before the finale that had to finish the show's plot, and that would lead to either them being as bland as the PREDACONS RISING guys were or the plot being beyond rushed

3- The show's last 5 episodes would have to be animated with real life stop motion and paper cut outs because we were told the Predacon models were so detailed they cost as much as an entire 3D enviroments, so their badly managed budget would in that point COMPLETELY IMPLODE on itself.

So there is really no universe where the predacons clones would actualy be produced succesfully. Using their failed production as a plot point is honestly to god the best choice the show could've made with that set up. If you want something to complain about that particular subject it should be that the show decided to do a fetch-quest Season 3 again or whatever.

And there's a lot of cleverness in how they managed to use the fetch quest to fulfill the letter if not the spirit of the subtitle. In a series with two sets of generic indistinguishable fodder enemies already, it baffles me that they couldn't simply introduce a third, but.

#57 Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.

• Supporter
  • 5295 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:49 PM

Maybe if the show hadn't spent so much money on trying to look so pretty and so epic all the time, as well as casting certain actors that it could barely afford in main/recurring roles, it mightn't have gone so over-budget.

I honestly think the bigger issue is just that when it came out on The Hub, audiences already had Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network at their Adventure Time rebirth, and Disney XD. So dividing time to see what's on another channel wasn't happening. I don't even know if the show aired in Canada.

Yes, Prime did air here in Canada. During season 2 most of the episodes often aired here first!

The Hub itself wasn't available in Canada, or I think, anywhere outside the United States, which is also probably not a great idea when you're planning on airing shows tied specifically to your products exclusively.

"The objective truths of the world are controversial only to people who are both under-informed and who like to argue." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

#58 LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce

See if you can take the power of justice!

• Retired Staff
  • 2362 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:50 PM

Maybe if the show hadn't spent so much money on trying to look so pretty and so epic all the time, as well as casting certain actors that it could barely afford in main/recurring roles, it mightn't have gone so over-budget.

I honestly think the bigger issue is just that when it came out on The Hub, audiences already had Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network at their Adventure Time rebirth, and Disney XD. So dividing time to see what's on another channel wasn't happening. I don't even know if the show aired in Canada.

Yes, Prime did air here in Canada. During season 2 most of the episodes often aired here first!

The Hub itself wasn't available in Canada, or I think, anywhere outside the United States, which is also probably not a great idea when you're planning on airing shows tied specifically to your products exclusively.
Yeah. It aired on Teletoon.

The best part? Canada didn't get The Hub, but a lot of the Transformers figures we got during that time still had The Hub stickers on the packaging. gg Hasbro, gg

Edited by LordGigaIce, 23 January 2019 - 10:51 PM.

B3v0h0W.png

#59 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28980 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 01:32 PM

I think how the show handled the Predacons works fine. We're introduced to Predaking as a mindless beast who is easily more powerful than any bot thus far. That means he unseats Megatron. The reveal that he's actually a sentient Transformer in his own right is a nice twist and the response it evokes from the Decepticons is I feel nicely grey. Would Predaking truly have taken over or was this paranoia? Their response also shoves the Decepticons back into firmly being THE antagonists, having them come up with a way to slaughter the Predacon clones but frame the Autobots for doing so. In a show that neccesitates the villains having few victories, that's pretty impactful. It also brings up the reveal of the cybermatter which effortlessly allows the show to refocus itself for the final stretch with the plan to convert Earth. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users