Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  ▲ndrusi : (01 April 2020 - 10:06 AM)

Happy Everyone Thinks They're A Comedian Now Day!

@  Donocropolis : (31 March 2020 - 05:45 AM)

Who, I might add, has never been photographed together with Byteman. Just sayin'.

@  Sabrblade : (30 March 2020 - 10:27 PM)

Bruce Wayne's cyberpunk cousin?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 09:27 PM)

Laser Wayne

@  Sabrblade : (30 March 2020 - 09:08 PM)

Luther Unum

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 07:09 PM)

Or Lee Derwon.

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:51 PM)

Not to be confused with Leader I

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:50 PM)

He was Leader Uno

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:50 PM)

He was the OTHER Leader 1

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 March 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Or Sideways.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 05:26 PM)

On the other hand, this is Armada we're talking about. It could have actually been Metroplex.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 March 2020 - 11:08 PM)

Oh yeah, that was Fort Max. My bad.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:12 PM)

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Peritus_Maximus

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:11 PM)

Christmas Maximus?

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 March 2020 - 01:13 PM)

At least the ozone layer is healing. unless this is a 0.0000000001% thing it's sounds like good news.

@  ▲ndrusi : (28 March 2020 - 09:27 AM)

(But only pretty sure, not 100% sure.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (28 March 2020 - 09:26 AM)

Pretty sure y'all were thinking of Fortress Maximus yesterday.

@  Bass X0 : (28 March 2020 - 12:38 AM)

Dare! Dare to believe you can survive 2020!

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 March 2020 - 08:18 PM)

Baja Blast is back at retail!

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 March 2020 - 03:47 PM)

Shame he wasn't around more. He seemed like such a jolly, happy soul.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (27 March 2020 - 02:16 PM)

No, he was definitely Metroplex. You could tell because he was in Metroplex's distinctive red and green coloration.

@  Paladin : (27 March 2020 - 02:11 PM)

that was Leader-1. or possibly Jolt. maybe Grindor...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (27 March 2020 - 01:57 PM)

Metroplex was in Armada, in a flashback. He was the same size as everybody else. I thought that was the joke.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (27 March 2020 - 12:39 PM)

@Rodimus Supreme: Gah! You are right! How'd I get that mixed up? x.x;

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 March 2020 - 12:14 PM)

There is no Metroplex. Only Zuul.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:13 AM)

@Tm_Silverclaw: There is no Armada Metroplex, he was in Cybertron.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:12 AM)

And they'd be better off just retooling Metroplex and Fortress Maximus to be somewhat more accurate and changing/adding parts for interaction with later play gimmicks.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:11 AM)

I honestly would prefer that for scale purposes.

@  Cyoti : (27 March 2020 - 11:07 AM)

They can redo all the CW combiners as Titan Class figures like Predaking/Devastator.

@  Dekafox : (27 March 2020 - 07:52 AM)

They could just redo Metroplex again too. Especially if it's going to be S3 based. They could also do another Primus to go with the coming Unicron.

@  OverDrive73 : (26 March 2020 - 10:56 PM)

If anyone is bored, or interested... I just added the last chapter to my fanfic comic in Allspark Pictures

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (26 March 2020 - 10:54 PM)

And no.. We could always get Titan Class Superion.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (26 March 2020 - 10:53 PM)

We need Titan Class Transformers Armada Metroplex.

@  Telly : (26 March 2020 - 08:39 PM)

ill be surprised if scorpy isnt the last titan

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 March 2020 - 05:57 PM)

Too bad a new character titan class figure is pretty much an impossibility.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 March 2020 - 05:56 PM)

I want a titan class, really good looking bucket wheel excavator. Like Cybertron Metroplex was supposed to be but didn't quite pull off.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 March 2020 - 03:32 PM)

I just taped up a shower curtain and took my first shower in three weeks. It was heavenly.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (26 March 2020 - 11:48 AM)

I would buy that...

@  Maximus Ambus : (24 March 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Studio Series 100 Titan Class Driller.

@  Sabrblade : (23 March 2020 - 09:05 PM)

I'll give ya 25 cents, a pack of gum, and some peanuts.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 March 2020 - 07:35 PM)

I can give ya twenty bucks for it.

@  Paladin : (23 March 2020 - 04:28 PM)

hoarder? I hardly know 'er?

@  Dekafox : (23 March 2020 - 01:52 PM)

FOR THE HORDE!

@  repowers : (23 March 2020 - 01:48 PM)

* hordes shrubberies *

@  Telly : (23 March 2020 - 01:46 PM)

YET...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 March 2020 - 01:22 PM)

At least we haven't resorted to shouting "NI" at old ladies.

@  CORVUS : (23 March 2020 - 11:04 AM)

Keep it out, and I won't reply to it.

@  RichardT1977 : (23 March 2020 - 08:50 AM)

It's a sad world where we can't discuss our health and safety without it descending into political arguments...

@  fourteenwings : (22 March 2020 - 11:46 PM)

woah I have no idea what's going on here but it's certainly breaking the "keep P&R out of the shoutbox" rules (which really should be enforced like... at all)

@  CORVUS : (22 March 2020 - 11:13 PM)

Ugh, Chinese. Typo-city.

Photo
- - - - -

Transformers Prime, the lost season

58 replies to this topic

#21 unluckiness

unluckiness

4 U

• Citizen
  • 20010 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:15 AM

The real Beast Hunters were the friends that we made along the way.

xOyvpt9.png

#22 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1816 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:01 AM

The biggest gain of Beast Hunters was the far better plotting and pacing. The dragon stuff they added was eh at best.

Agreed. Season 3 is easily the strongest, but only because it had roughly the same amount of plot as seasons 1 or 2 in half the episodes.

#23 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

Creator of all things Transformers

• Citizen
  • 5502 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:22 AM

Yes, they should have made the show look uglier. That would have helped tremendously.

I mean. We have a countless list of cartoons that were too fancy-looking to keep being made and of shows that look like crap thus were more profitable to keep going due to being cheaper.

So yeah, sometimes going with a less expensive production model pays off.

And a lower budget show that deliberately scaled back on frame rate only technically lasted longer in terms of episode count because a short seasonal arc was commissioned on top of the existing episode order.

I’m just saying I don’t think it’s technically just down to how much money they throw at it. And we know from interviews that Hasbro wanted to create a very technically impressive looking show, so I don’t understand why Sabr seemed to phrase it in a way that the creative decisions of the people they hired to make it are necessarily the problem.

RID was not lower budget by any actual significant margin. We had the show's animation director, who worked on Prime too, specifically saying that the new art style was chosen so they could have alot more characters and locations and props for about the same price. Just look at the number of unique voice actors RID had on every episode and the gigantic number of fully rigged CGI assets and it gets really obvious that it was never a cheap show. It just, y'know, spent that money on More Shit instead of Very Detailed Shit.

Also I'm sorry but RID still had four "go aheads" for new episodes while Prime only had 3, so even if you were right about that notion it would still work against your argument, if anything it proves the point that cheaper leads to more profitable at times.

Edited by Boomhauer, 22 January 2019 - 10:23 AM.

#24 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28980 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:56 AM

We must become Beast Hunters, although we won't ever do that specifically, per se.

https://youtu.be/7u0wg3t6osM

#25 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35138 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:27 PM

Yes, they should have made the show look uglier. That would have helped tremendously.

I mean. We have a countless list of cartoons that were too fancy-looking to keep being made and of shows that look like crap thus were more profitable to keep going due to being cheaper.

So yeah, sometimes going with a less expensive production model pays off.

And a lower budget show that deliberately scaled back on frame rate only technically lasted longer in terms of episode count because a short seasonal arc was commissioned on top of the existing episode order.

I’m just saying I don’t think it’s technically just down to how much money they throw at it. And we know from interviews that Hasbro wanted to create a very technically impressive looking show, so I don’t understand why Sabr seemed to phrase it in a way that the creative decisions of the people they hired to make it are necessarily the problem.

RID was not lower budget by any actual significant margin. We had the show's animation director, who worked on Prime too, specifically saying that the new art style was chosen so they could have alot more characters and locations and props for about the same price. Just look at the number of unique voice actors RID had on every episode and the gigantic number of fully rigged CGI assets and it gets really obvious that it was never a cheap show. It just, y'know, spent that money on More Shit instead of Very Detailed Shit.

Also I'm sorry but RID still had four "go aheads" for new episodes while Prime only had 3, so even if you were right about that notion it would still work against your argument, if anything it proves the point that cheaper leads to more profitable at times.

Okay, that's fair, but I also stand by my point that what Hasbro wanted out of both shows is what led to their respective creative emphases. Hasbro wanted a really impressive-looking CGI show, and then they wanted something different. It wasn't a matter of the showrunners making the wrong call, and then making the right call. It was just them giving Hasbro what they wanted.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#26 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

• Citizen
  • 5502 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:44 PM

Oh that I do agree with. In fact, Prime happened just after Transformers "Retailers are whining that the toys aren't the movie toys" Animated, so I always presumed they were aiming for a cartoon that had about the same visual appeal of the films but on a TV Budget.

Which is honestly why I am so surprised that the current cartoon is going so far into the G1 Aesthetic when the movies are very much still around and big. Megatron in particular is so slavishly G1 he doesn't even have spiky shoulders or whatever you'd expect the general audience to connect with.

#27 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 50873 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:03 PM

They're transitioning out of the movie aesthetic where they can, though. I mean, Bumblebee was a pretty direct attempt to bridge the two, and the brand going forward seems to be aimed at that unified G1 look because that seems to be what Hasbro thinks is the sustainable way to package the franchise.

Edit: But yeah, since I'd been involved with this misunderstanding, too, I just want to say that I don't and didn't intend to blame the showrunners for anything either, they were producing exactly the product they were asked for. And Jalaguy's info helps fill in a lot of gaps for me as well.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 22 January 2019 - 02:04 PM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#28 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 434 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:28 PM

"Actual Maximals and Predacons were set to appear on a revitalized Cybertron in Season 3 (he described it as a ‘taming the wild west’ setting)." [x]

Does this refer to the originally planned season three, or is it a discarded concept from Beast Hunters?

Also according to this article 

"JK: To be honest, it’s not where we started with “Transformers: Prime.” When we first started, we had ideas for where we wanted to go with longer term arcs; we knew where we wanted to get to at the end of Season 1, Season 2, Season 3. We planned out three seasons with no idea if we’d ever get that far. What we discovered early on, especially in Season 2, because we kept getting bigger and bigger, we wanted it to get more epic and the idea of having every episode be self-contained became impossible. And we burned through our three years of story early in Season 2. Which is pretty typical."

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#29 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9289 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:12 PM

Though they've never openly stated it and possibly never will as a way to maintain a positive face, I think it's pretty obvious that the budget crunch that hit in season 2 curtailed certain stories and necessitated the removal of certain characters, and since that reality has become more apparent I've always taken it as read that the "burned through three years of story by season 2" development was a consequence of that.

Edited by Chris McFeely, 22 January 2019 - 04:12 PM.

#30 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

• Citizen
  • 5502 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:14 PM

One can usually presume that a show doesn't do two Clip Show episodes in one season just for laughs, yeah.

#31 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9289 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:03 PM

CLIP SHOWS!! In the year of our lord Two Thousand and Twelve!!! With hindsight I'm just surprised it took me so long to cop to the fact something was up.

#32 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 434 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:22 PM

That was weird.

How did I only just realized that? 

(Because I haven't thought about Transformers Prime in years...)

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#33 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nut

• Citizen
  • 29684 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:25 PM

And immediately after the first clip show, we got an episode that had about three or four different plot threads running at the same time, and all of which got wrapped up by said episode's end. Then two episodes later came a mini-arc that split the cast up into four cost-saving teams of only a small handful of actors each. Then we got basically a retelling of the preexisting IDW prequel comic, rewritten to include Shockwave in its story, and which also utilized a small portion of the voice cast. Then right after the addition of a new character came the hasty resolution of the MECH plot, followed immediately by the last arc of seven fully serialized episodes, one of which being a second clip show (but which was superbly written, regardless), that introduced and swiftly took out the Star Saber, wrapped up the Iacon Relic hunts with the Omega Keys, and held off bringing the show to its proper conclusion to allow the new direction of Season 3 to take place.

So, yeah, looking at it all from a distance, Season 2 had a ton of cost-saving measures put into it because of Beast Hunters.

Though, Beast Hunters not only affected Season 2's hastiness but similarly affected Season 3. It's clear from how the show ended that the Omega Lock restoring Cybertron was supposed to be its proper end, which is where Season 2's finale was likely supposed to go before the Predacons were forced in. Otherwise, Season 2 might have ended closer to how Season 3 did, with Megatron dying and Cybertron being restored (though, this might have been a later season finale anyway had Season 2 not had to rush things so much, possibly allowing Season 2 to have had a completely different finale pertaining to something like MECH or Airachnid or something, but I digress).

The need to bring in the Predacons evidently forced the Omega Lock plot to be put on hold and instead gave us a first arc with Darkmount on Earth, in which Predaking was introduced but then swiftly taken out of the picture one episode later. Then came the second arc that properly reflected the Beast Hunters subtitle, only for its final episode to end up dropping the Predacon clones plot entirely just so that the final third arc could go right back to the Omega Lock plot of Season 2's finale, making the Darkmount and Project: Predacon plots of the first two arcs feel like complete (if still entertaining) time-wasters that merely distracted from what the show had really wanted to do.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#34 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35138 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:34 PM

I mean, Predaking still contributed to the plot, and the overall dynamic of the Decepticons. That's not really a time waster. And the results of Project Predacon ultimately informed the Omega Lock plot and played a role in developing their ultimate plan, there. That's, by definition, not a "waste", it just didn't go where you wanted it to.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#35 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nut

• Citizen
  • 29684 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:42 PM

Oh, what I wanted was to see the fulfillment of Project: Predacon, not its last-minute dissolution (and by its own initiators, no less).

But, alas, the needs of the series' intended conclusion outweighed the needs of, well, the Beast Hunters mandate, apparently. :p

Edited by Sabrblade, 22 January 2019 - 08:43 PM.

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#36 ZacDeath

ZacDeath

I am not dead, I'm overwintering.

• Citizen
  • 1073 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:47 PM

I remember being excited about the 13, when they were beginning to focus on that mythos, then only to turn it into a treasure hunt. It was really disappointing to not have any of the original 13 characters fleshed out, at the time.

Thats my memories of the show, building up for something really cool, and then letting me down.
WWOPD?

#37 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35138 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:48 PM

Oh, what I wanted was to see the fulfillment of Project: Predacon, not its last-minute dissolution (and by its own initiators, no less).

But, alas, the needs of the series' intended conclusion outweighed the needs of, well, the Beast Hunters mandate, apparently. :p

And "they would have doubled the size of the cast", and also undermined the conflict that ultimate drove Predaking for the sake of the story.

But no, selling toys of more dragons was more important I guess.

#38 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nut

• Citizen
  • 29684 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:58 PM

And "they would have doubled the size of the cast",

Not if they all just roared and growled like Predaking did. Since they all would have been newly emerged clones, I wasn't expecting any of them to transform right away, what with how long it took Predaking to do so. I figured if any of them were to transform, it wouldn't be until later, perhaps even closer to the finale (which at the time I figured the new Predacons might have been a pivotal part of). But I had it in mind that there wouldn't been much, if any, dialogue coming from the new Preds since they'd be more like another batch of foot soldiers like the Vehicons and Insecticons, only much more powerful and deadly.

But again, alas.

Edited by Sabrblade, 22 January 2019 - 08:59 PM.

#39 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35138 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:02 PM

I mean, that's still a bunch of distinct designs to keep track of, and I feel like if they went that route, the narrative would change that "only Predaking was a character and they were too cheap to hire multiple voice actors."

#40 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nut

• Citizen
  • 29684 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:08 PM

Then maybe they shouldn't have made a false promise hyping up the coming of new cool things only to back out of it at the last minute.

They could have written it as the Autobots valiantly stopping the project against all odds instead of deciding to have Megatron and Shockwave go "Nah, we don't like the new guy, let's just give up on everything we've worked so hard for over the past four episodes."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users