Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  ▲ndrusi : (01 April 2020 - 10:06 AM)

Happy Everyone Thinks They're A Comedian Now Day!

@  Donocropolis : (31 March 2020 - 05:45 AM)

Who, I might add, has never been photographed together with Byteman. Just sayin'.

@  Sabrblade : (30 March 2020 - 10:27 PM)

Bruce Wayne's cyberpunk cousin?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 09:27 PM)

Laser Wayne

@  Sabrblade : (30 March 2020 - 09:08 PM)

Luther Unum

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 07:09 PM)

Or Lee Derwon.

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:51 PM)

Not to be confused with Leader I

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:50 PM)

He was Leader Uno

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:50 PM)

He was the OTHER Leader 1

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 March 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Or Sideways.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 05:26 PM)

On the other hand, this is Armada we're talking about. It could have actually been Metroplex.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 March 2020 - 11:08 PM)

Oh yeah, that was Fort Max. My bad.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:12 PM)

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Peritus_Maximus

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:11 PM)

Christmas Maximus?

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 March 2020 - 01:13 PM)

At least the ozone layer is healing. unless this is a 0.0000000001% thing it's sounds like good news.

@  ▲ndrusi : (28 March 2020 - 09:27 AM)

(But only pretty sure, not 100% sure.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (28 March 2020 - 09:26 AM)

Pretty sure y'all were thinking of Fortress Maximus yesterday.

@  Bass X0 : (28 March 2020 - 12:38 AM)

Dare! Dare to believe you can survive 2020!

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 March 2020 - 08:18 PM)

Baja Blast is back at retail!

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 March 2020 - 03:47 PM)

Shame he wasn't around more. He seemed like such a jolly, happy soul.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (27 March 2020 - 02:16 PM)

No, he was definitely Metroplex. You could tell because he was in Metroplex's distinctive red and green coloration.

@  Paladin : (27 March 2020 - 02:11 PM)

that was Leader-1. or possibly Jolt. maybe Grindor...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (27 March 2020 - 01:57 PM)

Metroplex was in Armada, in a flashback. He was the same size as everybody else. I thought that was the joke.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (27 March 2020 - 12:39 PM)

@Rodimus Supreme: Gah! You are right! How'd I get that mixed up? x.x;

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 March 2020 - 12:14 PM)

There is no Metroplex. Only Zuul.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:13 AM)

@Tm_Silverclaw: There is no Armada Metroplex, he was in Cybertron.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:12 AM)

And they'd be better off just retooling Metroplex and Fortress Maximus to be somewhat more accurate and changing/adding parts for interaction with later play gimmicks.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:11 AM)

I honestly would prefer that for scale purposes.

@  Cyoti : (27 March 2020 - 11:07 AM)

They can redo all the CW combiners as Titan Class figures like Predaking/Devastator.

@  Dekafox : (27 March 2020 - 07:52 AM)

They could just redo Metroplex again too. Especially if it's going to be S3 based. They could also do another Primus to go with the coming Unicron.

@  OverDrive73 : (26 March 2020 - 10:56 PM)

If anyone is bored, or interested... I just added the last chapter to my fanfic comic in Allspark Pictures

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (26 March 2020 - 10:54 PM)

And no.. We could always get Titan Class Superion.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (26 March 2020 - 10:53 PM)

We need Titan Class Transformers Armada Metroplex.

@  Telly : (26 March 2020 - 08:39 PM)

ill be surprised if scorpy isnt the last titan

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 March 2020 - 05:57 PM)

Too bad a new character titan class figure is pretty much an impossibility.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 March 2020 - 05:56 PM)

I want a titan class, really good looking bucket wheel excavator. Like Cybertron Metroplex was supposed to be but didn't quite pull off.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 March 2020 - 03:32 PM)

I just taped up a shower curtain and took my first shower in three weeks. It was heavenly.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (26 March 2020 - 11:48 AM)

I would buy that...

@  Maximus Ambus : (24 March 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Studio Series 100 Titan Class Driller.

@  Sabrblade : (23 March 2020 - 09:05 PM)

I'll give ya 25 cents, a pack of gum, and some peanuts.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 March 2020 - 07:35 PM)

I can give ya twenty bucks for it.

@  Paladin : (23 March 2020 - 04:28 PM)

hoarder? I hardly know 'er?

@  Dekafox : (23 March 2020 - 01:52 PM)

FOR THE HORDE!

@  repowers : (23 March 2020 - 01:48 PM)

* hordes shrubberies *

@  Telly : (23 March 2020 - 01:46 PM)

YET...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 March 2020 - 01:22 PM)

At least we haven't resorted to shouting "NI" at old ladies.

@  CORVUS : (23 March 2020 - 11:04 AM)

Keep it out, and I won't reply to it.

@  RichardT1977 : (23 March 2020 - 08:50 AM)

It's a sad world where we can't discuss our health and safety without it descending into political arguments...

@  fourteenwings : (22 March 2020 - 11:46 PM)

woah I have no idea what's going on here but it's certainly breaking the "keep P&R out of the shoutbox" rules (which really should be enforced like... at all)

@  CORVUS : (22 March 2020 - 11:13 PM)

Ugh, Chinese. Typo-city.

Photo
- - - - -

Alvarez panels from TFCon on Youtube

70 replies to this topic

#1 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 13176 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:58 AM

Lots of trivia stuff to mine for the Wiki.

- The first pitch for Age of Extinction would have featured a group of former Decepticons (the "Lords of Deception") in a very "Mad Max"-inspired desert setting (with the Twins' heads on chains) that would have caused mayhem in order to occupy the Autobots while a group of humans build a huge transforming base, which would have been named "Galvatron".
- The original concept for Lockdown looked much more like his Animated counterpart.
- Oil Slick was to be in it, too.
- The Dinobots were intended to be the "Guardians of the Allspark" and were supposed to form a combiner named "Dino-Might". Grimlock would have been able to speak.
- Following Dark of the Moon, Hasbro tried to convince Bay to direct a M.A.S.K. movie.
- After Revenge of The Fallen, Tyrese was considered as Roadblock in a G.I. Joe movie (with a brief "you must be confusing me with someone else" reference to his role in the Transformers films), before Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was cast for Retaliation. He was then considered to be killed off along with Ratchet in that first pitch for AOE.
- Michael Bay was sold on the idea of directing another Transformers film thanks to a single piece of art that featured Optimus Prime riding atop of Grimlock in T-rex mode.
- Hasbro pushed for Lance Henriksen, but didn't have much say in the matter.
- Cade Yeager started out as a character named "Spike", who would have built a transforming motorcycle that would have been granted life by Optimus at the end of the film. This might have later inspired Sqweeks in The Last Knight.
- Elaborates on how the release schedule for tie-in material, particularly comic and other adaptations of the movies' plot, would always result in spoilers (as well as the occasional inaccuracy due to the adaptations being based on earlier drafts of the script), which the studio really wasn't okay with anymore following that very infamous spoiler from Dark of the Moon.

- Elaborates on how Beast Hunters really came out of nowhere was mandated as a result of a staff change, completely killed off any plans for Thundertron and the pirates that would have come from the thirteen colonies, and how the lead time in development resulted in Predaking and Optimus looking drastically different onscreen compared to their toys.
- Knockout was considered the breakout character of TF: Prime. He was the only Decepticon who was mandated by Hasbro not to be killed off no matter what. Even Megatron didn't get that treatment.
- Drift would have originally looked a lot more like his IDW self, as a white car. Takara expressed concern about a stereotypical depiction of the character, and Alvarez was the one to tell Takara that they were SOL, as Hasbro had no say in that regard.
- AOE Crosshairs started out as Smokescreen, inspired by the TF: Prime version of the character, with his robot mode styled after a boxer.
- The original pitch for AOE Hound was based on IDW's version of Kup (hence the Cy-gar), with his alternate mode based on a G.I. Joe V.A.M.P.

Edited by Nevermore, 20 January 2019 - 10:24 AM.

aR2oX8u.jpg
Big thanks to my dad for playing along with this visual recreation.

#2 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 66860 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:24 AM

Good stuff. I remember hearing something about Epps getting killed in AOE before.

Now where is my Siege Knockout if Hasbro realized he was the breakthrough character?

ACItEK8.png

#3 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 23044 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:09 AM

....Wasn't Alvarez gone by that point?

Why would he know...any of this?

#4 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 13176 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:19 AM

... no? Alvarez was laid off around 2013, so he would have been there in the early development stages of AOE. And he was certainly around during the development of TF: Prime. He already discussed the whole goings-on behind the scenes of TF: Prime and Beast Hunters at a previous panel.

He explictly explains what he did, when and how he got there at the beginning of the first video. Did you actually watch the videos before doubting their accuracy based on faulty memory?

Edited by Nevermore, 20 January 2019 - 11:20 AM.

aR2oX8u.jpg

#5 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 18139 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:33 AM

I would have, but then I have no real interest in videos of Alvarez whining.

#6 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28980 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:06 PM

Interesting stuff but his patter kinda sucks. He gives every attempt at a joke like a second to land before awkwardly covering for it.

Have to say his ideas for AOE actually sound worse than what we got. Galvatron as a human built Titan?

#7 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 4019 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:24 PM

Wow, that AOE pitch sounds terrible.

It's weird to say that the final version of AOE is actually better than something...

#8 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 18139 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:57 PM

When I was in second grade, I nearly died of septicemia from a ruptured appendix, and that was actually a lot worse than AOE.

Still a toss-up with Energon, though.

#9 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52342 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:36 PM

Drift would have originally looked a lot more like his IDW self, as a white car. Takara expressed concern about a stereotypical depiction of the character, and Alvarez was the one to tell Takara that they were SOL, as Hasbro had no say in that regard.

They had no say about one of their characters (in what was ostensibly their own Movie) being presented as a racist caricature?

Well that certainly explains the Twins...and why they took more control.

card-strongarm.jpg

#10 Chromedome113

Chromedome113
  • Citizen
  • 254 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:09 PM

Probably for synergy but you would think if Hasbro didn't care much for racist movie Drift, RID Drift would be the white super robot style design.

#11 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28980 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:20 PM

Is RID Drift really that racist though? I mean consider that in place of Beast Hunters Takara commissioned Go, focusing on teams of samurai and ninja Autobots. It seems the issue here is knowing how racially insensitive Bay is and thus movie Drift would be an insulting stereotype samurai. Which is technically accurate. Japan is generally happy to reference its own culture but hates when Americans do it.

#12 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 18139 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:29 PM

RID Drift doesn't even have a Japanese voice actor.

#13 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35138 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:35 PM

what?

He's voiced by Tomokazu Sugita.

Edited by Tyranno, 20 January 2019 - 03:36 PM.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#14 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28980 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:06 PM

I loved the episode where Drift warns his apprentices about thinking you've got up in the night to go wee but discovering too late you're still dreaming and wake up to yourself wetting the bed.

Or the time they had to create an after school club to stop Windblade from using her Primus power from destroying the universe.

Or when he lost a hand fighting the Fallen.

#15 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 10019 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:01 PM

RID Drift doesn't even have a Japanese voice actor.

what?

He's voiced by Tomokazu Sugita.

I gather LV refers to the original production of Robots in Disguise in English in juxtaposition with movieverse Drift by Ken Watanabe.
遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#16 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 18139 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:03 PM

That is to what I refer.

#17 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 23044 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:55 PM

... no? Alvarez was laid off around 2013, so he would have been there in the early development stages of AOE. And he was certainly around during the development of TF: Prime. He already discussed the whole goings-on behind the scenes of TF: Prime and Beast Hunters at a previous panel.

He explictly explains what he did, when and how he got there at the beginning of the first video. Did you actually watch the videos before doubting their accuracy based on faulty memory?

Coming back to this; no, I didn't, but I forgot which year he was fired. My mistake.

#18 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nut

• Citizen
  • 29684 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:40 PM

Watching those videos, it seems Alvarez didn't quite fully understand half the questions he was asked.

Like, when asked if they had considered making the pirates animals and dragons, he says no... then proceeds to talk of Thundertron being a cat.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#19 Creedence

Creedence

borf borf

• Citizen
  • 9198 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:35 AM

Is RID Drift really that racist though? I mean consider that in place of Beast Hunters Takara commissioned Go, focusing on teams of samurai and ninja Autobots. It seems the issue here is knowing how racially insensitive Bay is and thus movie Drift would be an insulting stereotype samurai. Which is technically accurate. Japan is generally happy to reference its own culture but hates when Americans do it.

Japanese creators using their own cultural archetypes for their characters isn't the same thing as Americans marking Drift as "Japanese" using stereotypes.

#20 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 13176 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:22 AM

Japanese creators using their own cultural archetypes for their characters isn't the same thing as Americans marking Drift as "Japanese" using stereotypes.

So if Drift had randomly displayed the ability to summon the power of BURNING JUSTICE out of nowhere, that would have been okay with Takara?
aR2oX8u.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users