Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Then there are people who outright manufacture memories for whatever reason.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (10 August 2020 - 01:13 PM)

The human brain is so flaky that it is extremely unlikely that a given person does NOT have any false memories.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Perhaps it's simple word association the movie Sinbad and then our minds apply the same memories to a man named Sinbad.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:04 PM)

The Mandela Effect is the same as people remembering Sinbad in a movie where he played a genie... Of which he never did.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:36 AM)

People that believe Mandela Effect things would rather come up with any number of reasons as to why their version doesn't have any actual evidence(like alternate timelines collapsing into our own) than just admit they remembered something wrong

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Sort of. It's more that when presented with a verifiable fact, they double down because it's what they believe instead of changing their minds

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

"I could have sworn that ______."

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

I'm not arguing with either of those two statements, but they're not really connected. Mandela Effect is, to oversimplify, people being widely mistaken about what they think *is* a verifiable fact. Nothing to do with opinions.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 08:52 AM)

Pretty sure the Mandela Effect in general is an American thing. Opinion > Verifiable Facts is sadly a pretty American thing

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:27 AM)

Ask these people how Apartheid ended according to their recollection, and I'm sure they'll draw a blank.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:25 AM)

You got two black anti-Apartheid activists who were imprisoned by the oppressive regime. One died, the other was Nelson Mandela. It's not a far stretch that Americans who don't know many details about the history of other countries would mix up the two.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:24 AM)

My own theory is that these people are simply mixing up Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko, another South African anti-Apartheid activist, who did indeed die in police custody in 1977. There was an Oscar-nominated movie about his life starring Denzel Washington that came out in 1987, the same time frame these people claim remembering Mandela dying.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:17 AM)

I met a few people from South Africa, and they either never heard of the phenomenon at all, or only know of it from the internet. Apparently, it's completely unknown in South Africa, and it might even be entirely limited to the United States.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:16 AM)

So does anyone remember the "Mandela Effect"? I'm talking specifically about the original case where many people vividly remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 August 2020 - 03:16 AM)

Crisis of Corona.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

Photo
- - - - -

[IC] Friendship Gardens: Down But Not Out

play by post friendship gardens

122 replies to this topic

#41 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*Vader breathing*

• Administrator
  • 40835 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:46 AM

"Are you looking for something?"

Post coos in concern.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#42 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18318 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:02 AM

Lustrous Ivy sighed and said, "It's my parents, darling. They should be here right now." Just then, a pink and athletic earth pony mare walked up. Her light yellow and purple mane was tied off in a braid, and she stood taller than most other ponies in the town. The trio knew this was Sunsparkle, the town's mayor. "I was talking with Ivy and her parents should've been here this morning. It's not like them to be this late. If anything, they usually show up early to make a grand entrance. I was about to search and...

Hey Ivy, why don't you help these three out for the moment? It'll help clear your mind. I'll wait here."
Spoiler

#43 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 14843 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:15 AM

Timber's brow furrowed in concern.
"I don't need help with anything right now. Why don't we help you look for your folks? Maybe they just got caught up sightseeing somewhere."

#44 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36026 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:18 AM

Ember takes out her quill and paper. "Do you know any places around town they might be? I can make a list and then we can search each of them, starting with the most likely places they would be, and... oh! We could split into teams of two for extra efficiency!"

#45 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*Vader breathing*

• Administrator
  • 40835 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:05 PM

"I have nowhere else to be this afternoon. I'm free to help as soon as I'm off work."

Post takes the last of the day's mail and flies it over to Ivy.

"Okay I'm off work."

B5ofTKU.jpg

#46 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18318 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:21 PM

"Splitting up into groups sounds like a good idea," Midnight Clover said. The dark blue unicorn unicorn stallion trotted over to the group. With his magic, he removed a few loose leaves from his magenta mane. "Was just searching the grounds to see if they slipped by and were looking around. I guess most searching will be in the south since that's the direction they would be coming from. Ivy, do you know where they might have stopped before this?" Ivy thought for a moment, then said, "They might have stopped at the other Venin Apple tree. Probably taking pictures of it." While not edible, the two Venin Apple trees in town were sometimes a point of interest due to the unique smell of the bright green apples and the ability to use them as magical conduits. One was near the barn while the other was in the southern part of the garden. "But...if we split into three teams of two, what happens if they do make it to the barn?" Sunsparkle pondered for a moment, "What if you stay here Ivy? Me and Midnight check the southern path to see if they're just outside of town. Timber, Ember and Swift check the Venin Apple tree. Sound good?" "One of the two groups might want to see if they stopped by town hall," Midnight added.
Spoiler

#47 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36026 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:43 PM

Ember quickly jots down notes as the others spoke. 

Coming from the south... might have stopped at the other Venin Apple tree...

She pauses and looks up as the arrangement of the teams is discussed, then makes one last note.

Check by town hall?

#48 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 14843 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:04 AM

Timber was already galloping away, kicking up dirt and grass behind her.

#49 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18318 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:02 PM

Timber Glee arrived at the small clearing around the southern Venin Apple tree first with the others in hot pursuit. The tree usually provided nice shade on sunny days but this wasn't as needed with the clouds overhead. Timber and the others felt that the ground in the area was a little soft and spongy like after a rain.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#50 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 14843 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:42 PM

Spoiler

#51 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36026 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:28 PM

Spoiler

#52 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*Vader breathing*

• Administrator
  • 40835 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 10:51 AM

Swift Letter scans around. Not seeing anything particularly interesting, he sends Post to fly overhead for a better look.

Sometimes he forgets that he can do that too.

Spoiler

B5ofTKU.jpg

#53 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18318 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 11:26 AM

Ember and Timber both saw where several rows of flowers had been knocked down. However, while Swift seemed preoccupied with checking the tree itself, he could hear Post actively trying to get his attention if hey, he would just listen. And indeed, Swift Letter had gotten used to how to communicate with Post so his feathered friend had not only found a wooden wheel, he had also found a sizable hole.
Spoiler

#54 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*Vader breathing*

• Administrator
  • 40835 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 03:12 PM

Post's attempt to communicate surely looks like nonsense but Swift Letter nods in apparent understanding.

"We've found something! Everyone follow Post."

He follows as Post leads the way.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#55 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18318 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 03:23 PM

The trio found that the hole Post led them to was fairly large, like some sort of sinkhole. The wooden wheel next to it was painted a shade of teal just slightly off from Ivy's coat.
Spoiler

#56 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36026 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 03:48 PM

Ember looks back at the disarranged flowers, then at the wheel, and then down into the hole. An apprehensive look crosses her face.

"You don't suppose..."

#57 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 14843 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:34 PM

*Long inhale*

"HELLOOOO!!!! ARE YOU DOWN THERE??"

#58 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18318 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:41 PM

All was silent with no response. However, there was a rumble and a shake as the ground began to crumble under the trio's feet!

Spoiler

Spoiler

#59 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 14843 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:09 PM

Spoiler

#60 Patch

Patch