Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:12 PM)

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Peritus_Maximus

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:11 PM)

Christmas Maximus?

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 March 2020 - 01:13 PM)

At least the ozone layer is healing. unless this is a 0.0000000001% thing it's sounds like good news.

@  ▲ndrusi : (28 March 2020 - 09:27 AM)

(But only pretty sure, not 100% sure.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (28 March 2020 - 09:26 AM)

Pretty sure y'all were thinking of Fortress Maximus yesterday.

@  Bass X0 : (28 March 2020 - 12:38 AM)

Dare! Dare to believe you can survive 2020!

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 March 2020 - 08:18 PM)

Baja Blast is back at retail!

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 March 2020 - 03:47 PM)

Shame he wasn't around more. He seemed like such a jolly, happy soul.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (27 March 2020 - 02:16 PM)

No, he was definitely Metroplex. You could tell because he was in Metroplex's distinctive red and green coloration.

@  Paladin : (27 March 2020 - 02:11 PM)

that was Leader-1. or possibly Jolt. maybe Grindor...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (27 March 2020 - 01:57 PM)

Metroplex was in Armada, in a flashback. He was the same size as everybody else. I thought that was the joke.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (27 March 2020 - 12:39 PM)

@Rodimus Supreme: Gah! You are right! How'd I get that mixed up? x.x;

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 March 2020 - 12:14 PM)

There is no Metroplex. Only Zuul.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:13 AM)

@Tm_Silverclaw: There is no Armada Metroplex, he was in Cybertron.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:12 AM)

And they'd be better off just retooling Metroplex and Fortress Maximus to be somewhat more accurate and changing/adding parts for interaction with later play gimmicks.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:11 AM)

I honestly would prefer that for scale purposes.

@  Cyoti : (27 March 2020 - 11:07 AM)

They can redo all the CW combiners as Titan Class figures like Predaking/Devastator.

@  Dekafox : (27 March 2020 - 07:52 AM)

They could just redo Metroplex again too. Especially if it's going to be S3 based. They could also do another Primus to go with the coming Unicron.

@  OverDrive73 : (26 March 2020 - 10:56 PM)

If anyone is bored, or interested... I just added the last chapter to my fanfic comic in Allspark Pictures

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (26 March 2020 - 10:54 PM)

And no.. We could always get Titan Class Superion.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (26 March 2020 - 10:53 PM)

We need Titan Class Transformers Armada Metroplex.

@  Telly : (26 March 2020 - 08:39 PM)

ill be surprised if scorpy isnt the last titan

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 March 2020 - 05:57 PM)

Too bad a new character titan class figure is pretty much an impossibility.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 March 2020 - 05:56 PM)

I want a titan class, really good looking bucket wheel excavator. Like Cybertron Metroplex was supposed to be but didn't quite pull off.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 March 2020 - 03:32 PM)

I just taped up a shower curtain and took my first shower in three weeks. It was heavenly.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (26 March 2020 - 11:48 AM)

I would buy that...

@  Maximus Ambus : (24 March 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Studio Series 100 Titan Class Driller.

@  Sabrblade : (23 March 2020 - 09:05 PM)

I'll give ya 25 cents, a pack of gum, and some peanuts.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 March 2020 - 07:35 PM)

I can give ya twenty bucks for it.

@  Paladin : (23 March 2020 - 04:28 PM)

hoarder? I hardly know 'er?

@  Dekafox : (23 March 2020 - 01:52 PM)

FOR THE HORDE!

@  repowers : (23 March 2020 - 01:48 PM)

* hordes shrubberies *

@  Telly : (23 March 2020 - 01:46 PM)

YET...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 March 2020 - 01:22 PM)

At least we haven't resorted to shouting "NI" at old ladies.

@  CORVUS : (23 March 2020 - 11:04 AM)

Keep it out, and I won't reply to it.

@  RichardT1977 : (23 March 2020 - 08:50 AM)

It's a sad world where we can't discuss our health and safety without it descending into political arguments...

@  fourteenwings : (22 March 2020 - 11:46 PM)

woah I have no idea what's going on here but it's certainly breaking the "keep P&R out of the shoutbox" rules (which really should be enforced like... at all)

@  CORVUS : (22 March 2020 - 11:13 PM)

Ugh, Chinese. Typo-city.

@  CORVUS : (22 March 2020 - 11:11 PM)

Rodimus, you're just flat-out wrong. Trump eliminated the Pandemic Response Team. Trump was advised in January that this could be serious, and he didn't listen. Trump spent weeks downplaying COVID-19 by implying it was a hoax, and then that it was just a type of flu. He was late to close down travel from China, and by the time he closed down air-travel to the EU, that was also too late. He has refused to take responsibility for removing the pandemic response team, even though he basically bragged about it some months before. He's also prematurely talked up treatments using chlorquinine that have not been properly vetted as yet, and he keeps calling COVID-19 the "Chinense virus" because he can't help but be a jerk. Face facts: Trump is an incompetent bungler. Period. Full-stop.

@  repowers : (22 March 2020 - 03:49 PM)

That's totally super biased!

@  Nevermore : (22 March 2020 - 03:00 PM)

I'm not. I'm listening to his own contradictory statements.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 March 2020 - 02:06 PM)

Most people don't, but it's still making enough ratings to continue, apparently.

@  Bass X0 : (22 March 2020 - 11:45 AM)

I’m not finding modern episodes of The Simpson’s at all funny.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (22 March 2020 - 11:44 AM)

Trump HAS been working on this, stop listening to those idiot "news" outlets that just spin everything against him out of bias.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 March 2020 - 08:52 AM)

At the least, they could keep it off of Twitter.

@  wonko the sane? : (22 March 2020 - 08:10 AM)

I'm pretty sure the capuchin from "outbreak" would have done a better job than trump.

@  Nevermore : (22 March 2020 - 05:13 AM)

Isn't it sad that President Schwarzenegger would have been the better alternative in retrospect?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (22 March 2020 - 03:38 AM)

It was President Schwarzenegger, not Wolfcastle.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 March 2020 - 02:51 AM)

He put that in a speech in Springfields 'Do as we say' festival in 2005 too.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 March 2020 - 09:05 AM)

"I came here to LEAD not to read" -President Wolfcastle

Photo
- - - - -

IDW Transformers 1.0 Postmortem General Discussion

138 replies to this topic

#21 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 18123 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:19 PM

I liked Costa's run a lot. But I don't talk about it because I'm not interested in hearing about how it objectively sucked.

Edited by LV!, 18 January 2019 - 10:20 PM.

#22 Chip

Chip

Machine Saurer, my strength / Only you can understand my heart.

• Citizen
  • 8242 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:52 AM

The Hasbroverse didn't grab me for anything aside from Revolutionaries, which I thought was great. Sgt. Savage went from being a kind of awful Captain America retread to being an amazing Astro City level Captain America retread. But the reboots of Bill Mantlo comics looked much less interesting to me than actual Bill Mantlo comics, and they all seemed like the kind of thing I avoid in modern superhero comics. Plus across a million series and miniseries there was never a single Roboskull, so what was the point?

#23 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9741 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:08 PM

Eject never showed up. Truly this was a continuity that was simply not ready for some football.

#24 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28976 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:22 PM

Everyone was gay.

Except the people who weren't.

#25 Magnusblitz

Magnusblitz
  • Citizen
  • 4082 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:44 PM

I liked Costa's run a lot. But I don't talk about it because I'm not interested in hearing about how it objectively sucked.

Someday I'll get around to re-reading it, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was better than I remember it. I'd certainly be interested in hearing your thoughts on it. But to me, even during the interesting stuff (such as the different countries making deals with different TF subgroups) something about it felt "off." And I really hated the whole D-Void thing, though obviously different minds can differ.

#26 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3794 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:45 PM

Hasbroverse felt like a waste of time for me and wasn't worth it, it just seemed like a attempt to get properties that really failed to get anywhere another chance on the back of Transformers instead of trying to start building their own worlds on their own feet (so to speak) about the only property I had no clue about was Rom, before the Revolution thing came around, I didn't know he even existed. While it was a good idea in some ways, I felt Revolution wasn't needed at that point and it was another botched story, much like the Heart of Darkness story got botched because they had to shoehorn in the IDW wide zombie event which I think was a bad move on IDW part.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#27 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Citizen
  • 9628 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:12 PM

Hasbroverse felt like a waste of time for me and wasn't worth it, it just seemed like a attempt to get properties that really failed to get anywhere another chance on the back of Transformers instead of trying to start building their own worlds on their own feet (so to speak) about the only property I had no clue about was Rom, before the Revolution thing came around, I didn't know he even existed. While it was a good idea in some ways, I felt Revolution wasn't needed at that point and it was another botched story, much like the Heart of Darkness story got botched because they had to shoehorn in the IDW wide zombie event which I think was a bad move on IDW part.

The Infestation tie-in (which was what, one or two panels?) was definitely not the main thing that went wrong with Heart of Darkness.

#28 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7451 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:33 PM

From what I was able to see of it, it really didn't seem like there was any sort of master plan. The different creative teams had different ideas in mind, leading to sometimes awkward transitions, something made worse by people reacting to Hasbro rather than trying to work it all in. 

I honestly hope that some sort of advanced planning is going into the new series, especially if they want it to run as long. 

Of course there was a master plan (as much as there ever is in serialised fiction) - Furman quite obviously had one, and others followed. You run a universe for a decade, things will change. You've got writers coming and going, you've got changes in your editorial team, you've got shifting priorities in Hasbro - there are a lot of moving parts. You only get one solid unbroken ten year "master plan" if there's only one static dude executing a vision with total creative control - and even then it only happens if he doesn't get any new ideas along the way.

Obviously advance planning is going into the new series, but just like the last universe: if it lasts then it will evolve beyond those initial plans.

Edited by Maruten, 20 January 2019 - 01:53 AM.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#29 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40686 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:54 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sure when you get a new writer you get new plans.  That's why you got a new writer.   

#30 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8158 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:02 PM

I liked the idea of a Hasbroverse but didn't really enjoy Revolutionaries as much as others did. I like GI Joe amd MASK coexisting. ROM is pretty cool too.

#31 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28976 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:33 PM

The Hasbroverse felt like it came too late in the game. We had a Transformers centric comic universe and then suddenly all these other Hasbro IP's appear with little warning and seem to take Transformers characters to their books in the hope TF fans would follow.

I think you have to be more clever in how you do it. GI Joe for instance is a group you can easily add as existing on the same Earth as the Transformers, maybe even make them a partial response to Transformers. The other stuff would have to be steadily built up too and only given its own book once they know it has the legs to support it.

#32 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 13174 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:37 PM

The Infestation tie-in (which was what, one or two panels?) was definitely not the main thing that went wrong with Heart of Darkness.

Heart of Darkness was what went wrong with Heart of Darkness.
aR2oX8u.jpg
Big thanks to my dad for playing along with this visual recreation.

#33 DocChloroplast

DocChloroplast

I think you underestimate the depths of my pettiness

• Citizen
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:05 PM

13 years ago today was the regular debut of Infiltration #1, kicking the era of Shockwave, infiltrations, Drift, Wreckers, Roberts, Windblade, Primes, revolutions, and much more into high gear. With the release of Historia having concluded new content, what is your perspective on the past 13 years of main Transformers comics?

Hands-down the best self-contained iteration of Transformers in the 35+ years of the brand.

dFdY.png

Magaroja on TFWiki | Buying POTP Prima Prime, either version

Rest in Peace our darling Rydia, 1998 - Sept. 2, 2018

#34 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 15494 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:08 PM

Heart Of Darkness was great. If it were an ongoing series or part of the main series I would get some of the hate, but as a side-story it added diversity to the brand and the artwork was crazy as Galvatron.

And then in a few years we had Scioli's even crazier TF Joe series and people went nuts for it, oh well.

Costa's series was good too, it was just straightforward G1 TF ordeals. Spike was a bit much, and Don's decision to over-segment the faces was too much, but for the most part it felt like a normal Monthly Marvel Transformers series. Not trying to hard to be a sharper G1 like Dreamwave or AHM, but not trying too hard to be the oposite, like the -ation series.
Woooo!

#35 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17028 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:18 PM

Tied with Animated as the most sophisticated and publicly-respectable TF storyline we've ever gotten.

Beast Machines was sophisticated and respectable, but by virtue of being both a sequel and a highly serialized narrative, it really had no "jumping-on points" for the normie public.

#36 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Citizen
  • 9628 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:18 PM

Heart Of Darkness was great. If it were an ongoing series or part of the main series I would get some of the hate, but as a side-story it added diversity to the brand and the artwork was crazy as Galvatron.

And then in a few years we had Scioli's even crazier TF Joe series and people went nuts for it, oh well.

It's not the "craziness" people dislike about Heart of Darkness's art, it's the fact that the guy just couldn't draw robots? When it's just kooky landscapes or crab people, the art is very nice!

#37 Broadside

Broadside

#HaulOfFame

• Citizen
  • 11067 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:10 PM

Whenever people bring up Farinas, I feel the need to point out that he since drew this work of art.

TFvsJoe10_subcvr.jpg

unknown.png

#38 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7451 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:00 PM

If the panels on the wiki are anything to go by I think his work on HoD is quite nice. I can understand why others wouldn't, it's perhaps a stylistic deviation from the bulk of modern TF comics, but is it BAD? 

(Maybe it is - as I said, I'm judging from only a handful of panels.)

WsuGTl1.jpg

#39 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 4019 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:40 PM

Me personally, I just found the actual story to be very scattered and incoherent, not to mention continuity-breaking (at the time) stuff like the Ancient Headmasters.

#40 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:21 AM

In retrospect I realize that Tarn really being Glitch is actually sort of pointless.

Firstly because he dies right after this information is revealed. 

Secondly because Glitch is an unimportant secondary character. I was certainly surprised when it turned out it was him, but I didn't actually care about him beforehand. It would have basically been the same if he actually was Roller (or would it have had a bigger impact, because he a more defined character?). Or maybe you could have plugged any minor past character into that role. He might as well have been one of the Heavies, and it would have had the same end result. 

Thirdly (and perhaps most importantly) I ask what does this add? Essentially the backstory for Tarn we were presented was that he was Some Guy who was fanatically loyal and dedicated to Megatron. An you know what that was all the backstory he really needed.  What do we gain from making a mystery of his identity?Do we get any new insight to him? Do we see his previous actions in a new light? The only real layer it adds to his character is in #48-49 where we see why Skids thought he could trust him in Grindcore. But other than that, it turns out he was essentially just Some Guy who joined Megatron, like we already knew. Maybe if we knew Glitch better it would have some impact, but we didn't.

So we have a shocking revelation, which achieves nothing.

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users