Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:37 AM)

Either way, I'd stick to the definitions of the people who actually work in the field and know what they're talking about over incredibly loose unhelpful ones 

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:34 AM)

Which fossils and genetic sequencing proved were quite different from wolves as we know them. Which is kind of the point, since while domesticated organisms changed genetically, so have their wild counterparts.

@  Pennpenn : (23 January 2019 - 08:34 AM)

I mean, even more extreme would be to ask if cows would turn back into aurochs. They'd go feral or exitinct, but they wouldn't revert.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:33 AM)

Don't be ridiculous. The domesticated dog wasn't derived from the modern wolf. Both descended from a common ancestor

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 08:33 AM)

Then they are still Geneticly modified. ;P I mean hell, in a lot of cases, there is very little difference between removing a gene and making it dormant. Anyways. Gotta run, stuff to do right now. Have fun.

@  Pennpenn : (23 January 2019 - 08:32 AM)

The ones that survived would be more wolf like, but they wouldn't be wolves. And in a lot of cases without human intervention most of the heavily modified animals and plants wouldn't survive a "few generations".

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 08:31 AM)

Are you saying, given a few years (relativily speaking) of no humans, dogs will return to wolves?

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:30 AM)

Within a few generations without human intervention, the same traits resurface. because again, the genes aren't changed. Only the population.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:28 AM)

The genes for those traits are still present though. You're not manipulating the genotype, rather than the phenotype of the population.

@  Pennpenn : (23 January 2019 - 08:26 AM)

The fact that it's a more indirect method compared to, say, CRISPR is irrelevant.

@  Pennpenn : (23 January 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Selective breeding is a form of genetic manipulation, since you're restricting or eliminating unfavored genetic patterns from being expressed in the target organisms.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 08:25 AM)

As it should be... People whine about GMO, but most of it is because they don't understand that biotech is usually just a faster way of doing the exact same thing thousands of years of crossbreading does.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:20 AM)

You can call it whatever you like, but again, that definition is so wide as to be worthless and few people would agree with the definition.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:20 AM)

The commonly accepted definition of "genetic modification" by the scientific community involves biotechnology and direct manipulation of genetic material

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 08:13 AM)

But.. While slower.. That's -exactly- what crossbreeding is.. Genetic modification.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:02 AM)

Which is patently ridiculous. They didn't modify the genetic makeup of these organisms; just manipulated the odds of traits deemed as favorable being expressed. 

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 07:53 AM)

By that definition, literally everything that humans have domesticated is a GMO.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 07:44 AM)

Why? It's completely geneticly modified to be almost completely distinct from what a real banana is.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 06:52 AM)

By looser definitions of GMO. So loose as to be worthless pretty much.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 06:35 AM)

So.. All banannas that anyone eats.. organic or not.. is a GMO..

@  Pennpenn : (23 January 2019 - 06:23 AM)

Aren't they usually called palatains? But yeah, the only reason those cultivars survive at all is because of humans.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 06:16 AM)

That said, there are still wild banana plants which do reproduce sexually. If you don't mind gigantic seeds in them.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 06:16 AM)

This makes them highly susceptible to disease due to the stagnant genetic pool and inability to adapt.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 06:15 AM)

The domesticated kind reproduced asexually, meaning that the ones present today have the genetics of the same banana plants circa whenever bananas were domesticated

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 January 2019 - 04:53 AM)

Why would they be?

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 January 2019 - 04:07 AM)

Shouldn't banana's be extinct now?

@  MEDdMI : (22 January 2019 - 11:38 PM)

:p You leave my male harem alone.

@  unluckiness : (22 January 2019 - 11:27 PM)

Yeah, but unfortunately, it was Fire Emblem Fates.

@  MEDdMI : (22 January 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Fire Emblem Fates didn't force the gay pairings to have kids, not even for adoption. Granted, there were only 2 canon gay/bi options amoungst a sea of hetero, but still.

@  Pennpenn : (22 January 2019 - 10:27 PM)

It pissed off more people than usual since when the game was getting hyped much was made that you could have your character be gay as the first of May, and also the fact that the achievement for that event in the DLC was called "Growing Up"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 10:19 PM)

Never played the game, but that works as well! Textbook mindless natalism.

@  Pennpenn : (22 January 2019 - 10:15 PM)

Huh, I figured you were talking about that Assassins Creed Oddessy DLC that forces your character to have a kid regardless of your choices, previous behaviour, or current situation.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 09:16 PM)

Some context: I am bemoaning the fact that Modern Family is currently demonstrating why it should have already ended. Because not only it is making its annoying characters even worse, but Haley's storyline is taking her in a direction I hate.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 09:08 PM)

So when a lazy cop-out in the story happens, I'm going to object to the shoehorning.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 09:05 PM)

I think you misunderstand me. History is rife with instances wherein having children turned out not to be the right decision, and people with normal intelligence saw it coming. So people like myself find it infurating when television writers broadly pretend this doesn't happen.

@  Shrug : (22 January 2019 - 09:02 PM)

So it's not weird that it shows up in a lot of fiction. Since it shows up in a lot of nonfiction.

@  Shrug : (22 January 2019 - 09:01 PM)

But you know, like... the majority of people do it.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 08:49 PM)

And no characters call out this course of action for the stupidity it is. Believe it or not, not everyone is cut out to have kids, and having children is not an extraordinary life accomplishment.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 08:48 PM)

Yup. Like writers knocking up a (usually female) character for no good reason, often when said character has not previously expressed the desire for children, or children would heavily set back their life plans, or the other biological parent is not a good relationship partner.

@  Pennpenn : (22 January 2019 - 07:29 PM)

I mean, there's more to it, and varying levels of related concepts and blah blah blah, but I'm not gonna go further in the shoutbox.

@  Pennpenn : (22 January 2019 - 07:27 PM)

It's the "everyone's gotta make babies" school of thought. It varies but in media it manifests as "all characters end up married with kids or dead". For contrast an anti-natalist concept would be China's One Child policy.

@  Locoman : (22 January 2019 - 06:28 PM)

.... pro-natalist?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 06:10 PM)

Pro-natalist clichés in fiction are overrated. But no Hollywood writer can come up with new ideas. Argh.

@  unluckiness : (22 January 2019 - 10:05 AM)

How does the giant gimmicky Bumblebee toy have such an incredible leg transformation compared to the MPM

@  lastmaximal : (22 January 2019 - 09:27 AM)

I mean it's Vigo. We are like the buzzing of flies to him.

@  unluckiness : (22 January 2019 - 05:51 AM)

Perfectly. His talent is only surpassed by Tommy Wiseau

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 January 2019 - 04:57 AM)

How well he can play them is another story.

@  unluckiness : (22 January 2019 - 04:34 AM)

Blasphemy. Nicolas Cage can play anybody.

@  Pennpenn : (22 January 2019 - 03:34 AM)

I'm just glad we're in a timeline where Nicolas Cage was too busy to play Aragorn in Lord of the Rings. As much as I may like Cage, there was no way he could have done that and Viggo was infintely better for the part.

@  unluckiness : (22 January 2019 - 02:30 AM)

I want to see the timeline where Nicolas Cage was cast as Iron Man

Photo

Phil's review of War for Cybertron: Siege Sideswipe

4 replies to this topic

#1 Philister

Philister

Teutonicons Rising!

• Citizen
  • 1409 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:38 AM

SiegeSideswipe_Map.jpg
For more pics, click on the image above

Prelude: Recently I’ve begun most of my reviews with a funny or informative (both when possible) intro text of some kind or other. In case of Siege Sideswipe, though, I can’t really think of anything. So instead I’ll relate the tale of my niece’s very expensive Christmas gift, an interactive doll, breaking down a mere two days later, which led to my brother-in-law and me making an emergency run to our local Toys R’Us. We managed to snatch the next-to-last of those same dolls and the day was saved. So with that feeling of triumph and having discovered a soon-to-expire discount voucher in my pocket, I ended up treating myself to Siege Sideswipe, despite having skipped him the first time around. Here’s why I should have kept things that way.

Robot Mode:
Let me start this portion here by saying that there is nothing inherently bad about this Sideswipe robot. He’s a decent Deluxe-class figure with no major problems and upholds many of the quality standards we have seen in the other figures of the Siege toy line. He is very nicely articulated, including tilting ankles, twisting wrists, the works. He comes with numerous 5mm ports to attach additional weaponry. At first glance he is yet another excellent Deluxe-class figure from a very good toy line.

At second glance, though, there are a few issues. No major ones, mind you, but quite a few. One, Sideswipe has that nipple on his chest, which is there so you can attach a blasting effect from one of the Battlemasters. The problem is, it’s too small, the blasting effects simply fall off. Second, the 5mm holes on his arms are slightly too large, so any weapons put in there are very, very wobbly. Third, he has the dreaded battle damage detailing. Much like Hound he only has it in two spots that look like metal, making for a very nice worn metal look. It makes sense on the shins and feet. But he also has it across his entire hip plate, which just seems… weird. Were the Decepticons deliberately aiming for his waistline during battle?

Sideswipe comes with two weapons, a black launcher for his shoulder and a red gun for his hand. Like all Siege weapons these can also combine, but by God, they are the most boring weapons in the Siege toy line yet, be it combined or separate. On top of all that is the fact that Sideswipe is simply yet another hood-as-chest car-Transformer the likes of which we’ve seen hundreds of. Which isn’t bad, mind you, but nothing to brag about, either. So bottom line for the robot mode: boring. Sideswipe would have needed SOMETHING here to offset his few minor issues, but he doesn’t.

Alternate Mode: Let’s face it, very few of the supposed “Cybertronian” vehicle modes in the Siege toy line actually look the part. Most of them look like Earth vehicles with a very, very slight twist to make them look somewhat futuristic and/or alien. And then there is Sideswipe, who doesn’t even make the effort to look like anything but an expensive Italian sports car. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a very nice-looking Italian sports car. Streamlined, great look, no visible robot parts, ports to attach weapons, it works just fine. But much like in robot mode, there is nothing to impress here. Just another Transformers robot that transforms into a nice-looking sports car. Not bad, but not in any way memorable, either.

Remarks: Sideswipe has been a common name in Transformers ever since he was part of the original G1 Ark crew. He’s been present in pretty much every G1-based media and toy line and the name (and red sports car altmode) was used for one of the main characters in Robots in Disguise (2015), too. Thing is, for all that Sideswipe (the G1 version) has been around for so long, he’s never really been more than just another Autobot warrior. We’ll see if that changes anytime soon, but I’m not holding my breath.

The thing about Sideswipe (the Siege figure) is not that he is a bad toy, far from it. It’s more that there is really nothing about him that impresses, either. Sure, he is well-articulated. So are all the other Siege figures. He can wield lots of weapons. So can all the other Siege figures. Plus there are the other things like a clearly non-Cybertronian vehicle mode, the very boring weapons, the strangely applied battle damage, and his single nipple that can’t hold a blasting effect. None of it is big, but it adds up. At the end of the day Sideswipe feels like he is simply there to fill a quota, like Hasbro needed another Deluxe-class figure to fill out the first wave of Siege figures and picked Sideswipe’s name out of a hat with very little love or attention to detail going into the toy. Again, he’s not bad, but compared to almost everything else the Siege line has shown us so far, he is simply unremarkable. I’ll definitely skip the Red Alert repaint. Recommended to Sideswipe fans and Siege completists only.

Rating: C+

You own this figure? Rate it on TFU!

#2 DINOBOT SLUDGE

DINOBOT SLUDGE

Jungle Warrior

• Citizen
  • 6975 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:44 PM

My big issue here is no spoiler, which makes him look very much like Overdrive in vehicle mode.

This would have been a perfect line for Omnibots by the way.

What is singature?

#3 Philister

Philister

Teutonicons Rising!

• Citizen
  • 1409 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:35 AM

This would have been a perfect line for Omnibots by the way.

Yeah, but the Omnibots aren't "Evergreen", so why take the risk when you can instead use the same two dozen characters over and over again? We can count ourselves lucky we got Cog and Skytread.

#4 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Pinky to pinky~

• Citizen
  • 3609 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:26 AM

I'm just here waiting for Hasbro to officially announce Siege Red Alert. :p

#5 Philister

Philister

Teutonicons Rising!

• Citizen
  • 1409 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:59 AM

Wasn't he announced already? Thought I read something about that.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users