Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 10:39 PM)

The US is filled with people LITERALLY proud of their ignorance of tech. Don't expect the US to be a major power in the next 30 years.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 10:25 PM)

Most people in Australia that I've heard of use electronic transactions for rent (and similar things). I mean, doubtless there are some people who use cash for various reasons of varying levels of ethics, but most require electronic transfers.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:22 PM)

But I don't understand Paladin's premise of "allowing the landlord access to one's bank account". I'm pretty sure I have acquaintances who pay monthly by check or automated bank transfer.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:15 PM)

I know many lower-end restaurants in the USA take cash only as a probable method of tax evasion. Perhaps that is why some landlords do as well. Alternatively, such people demand cash upfront because they have thin profit margins or whatever and are too afraid of spending the time and effort to pursue someone whose check or electronic payment bounced.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:14 PM)

@Nevermore The USA is a place where lots of people can proliferate at being technologically behind. e.g. almost no one accepts or pays by contactless yet despite the inherent security of the process. And by having a population of over 300 million we can generate large quantities of believers in the Luddite fallacy and such.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:59 PM)

I pay by credit card whenever possible for the rewards/points, but utilities don't usually allow that so those I just pay through the online bill payment feature rather than mess around with pre-authorizations

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:57 PM)

Most monthly or whatever payments are done electronically around here, I think. Mine certainly are. Whether by pre-authorized debit, an e-transfer (transfer from one bank account to another), or your bank's online bill payment system/database

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:04 PM)

If I overpaid, it may take several months for them to pay me back the difference. If I underpaid, they're very quick with demanding the difference.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:03 PM)

Meanwhile, I can write a tax report, but since the employer already deduced the standard legal taxes from my monthly payment, the tax report is also mostly just to let the tax authority determine if I underpaid or overpaid.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:02 PM)

Based on my average costs for the year, they will then calculate the estimated monthly costs for the upcoming year.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:01 PM)

At the end of the year, the power company will send me an annual invoice which shows if I overpaid or underpaid. If I overpaid, the difference may just be deduced from my December bill.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

I also pay my monthly gas and electricity bills that way.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

It's funny. Here in Germany, many people still pay cash in stores, restaurants etc. (the staff usually asks "cash or wireless?"), but many regular payments are handled wirelessly and automatically.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Around the same time, I get sent a slip from payroll that lists my gross income, all the deductions and the net income, i.e. the final transaction sum.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:56 PM)

My monthly payment from my employer is wirelessly transferred to my bank account. Taxes, health insurance, unemployment insurance and social security fees are calculated by the payroll department, handled by the employer, and I just get paid the rest after taxes and everything.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

yes. you're assuming US employers would pay fairly & take fairly.

@  Telly : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

we dont get paid on a monthly basis, if thats what you mean. i myself get paid every 2 weeks. some are every week. and if im telling you something you already know, just ignore me...

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:54 PM)

Which I assume doesn't work that way in the US either?

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:53 PM)

That way you may time the transaction with your monthly payment from your employer.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:52 PM)

You don't need to give the landlord access to anything. You go to your bank, show the clerk your bank account card, give them the landlord's bank details, tell them the exact amount of the rent and which day of the month the transaction should happen, sign the order, and you're done.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:49 PM)

most Americans wouldn't trust a landlord with access to their bank account.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Do people in other countries really still pay their landlords in cash? Here in Germany, it's very common to have the payment as an automated bank transaction on a set day of the month, so if the payment is late, it's either the bank's fault, or there's not enough money on the bank account.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 05:46 PM)

meanwhile some of us are trying to calculate if they'll have a spare forty bucks at the end of the week for some food...

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 07:20 AM)

At least I can see where the 600 US bucks is going in this case. The MP line looks more ridiculous by the day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 July 2019 - 07:09 AM)

It's ridiculous. I'll stick to Armadacron

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 06:13 AM)

If anything, shipping is going to make the actual toy's price look affordable.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 02:28 AM)

Its like, $550 ish in US money (so probably about $800 for my Australian self) and is taller than TR Fort Max. He's gonna be a hefty boy.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 July 2019 - 10:05 PM)

Damn, that Unicron looks big. Not gonna be cheap

@  wonko the sane? : (21 July 2019 - 09:09 PM)

"By the way, your landlord called. Something about being late with the rent."

@  Nevermore : (21 July 2019 - 04:09 PM)

"Hi there, I'm Unicron. Your husband ordered me."

@  unluckiness : (21 July 2019 - 09:04 AM)

"Perhaps I misjudged you. Proceed on your way to the couch."

@  Donocropolis : (21 July 2019 - 07:33 AM)

I'm just afraid of what my wife would do to me if it showed up at our door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 July 2019 - 01:23 AM)

Giant Robot Satan has that effect on people.

@  Ashley : (21 July 2019 - 12:31 AM)

So, I might not be able to get Hasbro Pulse Unicron because my mother is afraid of it

@  Pennpenn : (20 July 2019 - 09:58 PM)

But that's neither here nor there.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Both maybe?

@  Benbot : (20 July 2019 - 04:44 PM)

Do you need a criminal lawyer or a criminal, lawyer.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 10:40 AM)

I don't suppose the allspark has any criminal lawyers from Georgia. ;P

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 July 2019 - 01:17 PM)

It seems like, with these kind of things, anything not TF-specific is either in an existing thread or just not discussed since they're not part of something deemed important enough to get its own thread already.

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Yeah, but it's for Transformers specifically

@  Gryllid : (19 July 2019 - 12:39 PM)

There is. It's called "SDCC 2019 thread"

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:24 PM)

no general SDCC thread?

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:08 PM)

I never even bothered to see it.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2019 - 10:30 AM)

O never hated it, the whole thing was an Indiana Jones movie. I didn't care for the CGI, but that's just nature of the beast.

@  Paladin : (19 July 2019 - 07:58 AM)

sidebar- has enough time passed that we can stop irrationally hating "Crystal Skull" yet?

@  Telly : (18 July 2019 - 09:18 PM)

after 38 years and i dont know how many viewings, today is the first time i noticed indiana jones doesnt use a revolver in the bar fight in raiders...

@  Kalidor : (18 July 2019 - 05:33 PM)

@Sabrblade Depends on when you're here. I used to have the backups happen once daily, now I have them happen once per hour so you might often see a hesitation at the top of every hour for 30-45 seconds.

@  Locoman : (18 July 2019 - 05:11 PM)

isn't that just Modern Family

@  Foffy : (18 July 2019 - 04:45 PM)

that's right. my gym teacher is a clown. new series coming to disney channel next fall

Photo
- - - - -

How does the Shroud effect Transwarp technology?

Transwarp Shroud Technology Colonies Cybertron Technorganic Beast Era Warp gates Space bridges Travel

10 replies to this topic

#1 That One Guy

That One Guy

MaxCop gone rogue

• Citizen
  • 113 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:12 AM

One result of the Shroud was that the barriers between universes were strengthened, making inter-dimensional travel much more difficult. Convensional inter-dimensional travel is done via passing through transwarp space, the in-between of all the Multiverse. Access to transwarp space is a vital aspect in most continuities for travel, usually by space bridges or transwarp themed tech. With the established strengthening in universal walls, however, would transwarp space itself become less accessible? Would technology like space bridges, warp gates, and transwarp drives still be effective, or rendered obsolete?

Now is where I focus solely on the Beast Era.

By the time of the Beast Era, the Maximal Imperium is implied to have a handful of colonies under it's control, hence the name Imperium, and these are likely maintained via transwarp tech, because trying to establish an interplanetary empire without cheats tends to be very, very difficult. If transwarp tech is rendered useless, then Cybertron (and any other transwarp using civilizations) is left isolated, cut off from her colonies, effectively shattering the entire Maximal Imperium and whatever holdings the Predacon Alliance may have. The ramifications of this could also lead to a total breakdown in galactic affairs, with trade shrinking massively and any other civilizations using transwarp space regularly totally collapsing. If this truly is the case, then I may have to rework the story I'm writing, because the colonial front and intergalactic relations are key aspects in the narrative.

Edited by That ONE Guy, 31 December 2018 - 01:18 AM.

#2 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9633 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:35 AM

I doubt there was any intent in the concept of the Shroud of it impacting the ordinary means of space travel within a single universe. 

#3 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 12473 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:00 AM

Or you could completely ignore it.

M "It's A Perfectly Viable Option" Sipher

The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#4 That One Guy

That One Guy

MaxCop gone rogue

• Citizen
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:30 AM

Or you could completely ignore it.

M "It's A Perfectly Viable Option" Sipher

Honestly what I probably would/am going to do.

I doubt there was any intent in the concept of the Shroud of it impacting the ordinary means of space travel within a single universe. 

Well, I suppose that Kils the conversation.

*ba dum tshhhhh*

Okay I'll leave now.

Edited by That ONE Guy, 31 December 2018 - 11:32 AM.

#5 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Supporter
  • 49550 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:39 AM

From what little I honestly know of it, the out of universe reason for the Shroud was just to allow individual continuities to do their own thing - or maybe just internally rationalize the fact that they never stopped doing so. In that spirit, I think you could very well be justified in treating its effects in a given universe as precisely whatever they need to be for a given story, though it does seem to be retroactive (creating separate histories for singularities that precede it etc.) rather than an event that begins at a given point in that universe's time.
Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#6 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42251 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:51 AM

Correct. Transwarp, innerspace, micro-cosmic realities, Swindle's pocket dimensions, and things that exist within a given universe are unaffected.

The Shroud was a way to return things back the way they were before Club fiction got crazy with all that stuff. Since, well, no one else would likely take up the Multiversal rules as Forrest Lee and the old Hasbro guard laid it out for us. It had been three brand teams since then and IDW were already doing different things than the mainstream cartoons and movies, so it seemed best to take everything back to zero and let other writers tackle the multiverse (if they even want too, it's gotten to be a tad weathered and worn) without worrying about things that were increasingly becoming a challenge to keep interwoven.

#7 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16736 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:23 AM

There is so much about Transformers that is fun and interesting and even well-written.

Why not focus on that?

You are obviously a good writer with an analytical mind. But you seem to start a lot of threads about abstract plot devices that have never made sense and that most people have deliberately ignored for years (or decades). There's just never going to be a deep discussion about that.

Ask questions about stuff people actually liked.

Edited by Thylacine 2000, 31 December 2018 - 08:32 AM.

#8 Broadside

Broadside

Crack Calibre Laser-Blazer Broadside

• Staff
  • 10937 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:26 AM

Let's not forget that Animated Swindle quite honestly has an entire transwarp-filled dimension inside his tummy whose space-time barriers he can willingly transcend by simply pulling open his chest drawer and reaching his hand or small-enough objects into and out of it.

I'm not so sure how the Shroud would effect this:

TFAni_Decepticon_Air_Swindle_Optimus_Han

Would it just lock up his chest from ever being easily-opened again?

Transwarp isn't impacted at all.

--JimS

3nAcIwa.png

#9 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 22828 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:01 AM

I really don't think there's anything wrong with the guy asking questions about things he's curious about. There's no need to shout him down.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#10 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28147 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:08 AM

Transwarp technology in the Beast Era was for mere space travel and time travel within its own universe. The Shroud made travel between each individual separate universe more difficult.

A person locked in a large spacious room is still free to move about the different areas of that room. Or less frighteningly, ordinary human beings may not be able to leave the gravitational confines of the planet Earth and venture out into outer space via their own power and will, but they can still traverse to different places on the planet Earth itself.

Edited by Sabrblade, 31 December 2018 - 11:08 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#11 That One Guy

That One Guy

MaxCop gone rogue

• Citizen
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:39 AM

Alrighty, that should do it. Thanks to all involved, including Thylacine 2000. He's blunt and to the point, which I can respect. Anywho, I'm off to continue work on that story and get my tea together (I think I've left it steeping just a wee bit too long now).

Edited by That ONE Guy, 31 December 2018 - 11:44 AM.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Transwarp, Shroud, Technology, Colonies, Cybertron, Technorganic, Beast Era, Warp gates, Space bridges, Travel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users