Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Paladin : (23 July 2019 - 07:23 AM)

anything burns if it gets hot enough.

@  Benbot : (23 July 2019 - 07:12 AM)

That's why you should keep your under-the-bed money in gold and silver--that won't burn!

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 July 2019 - 05:34 AM)

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20171003-proof-that-people-have-always-complained-about-young-adults

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 July 2019 - 02:24 AM)

Disparaging the youth has been a pastime for thousands of years. Pretty much every society we have writing from has some version of "kids these days" at some point.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 July 2019 - 02:21 AM)

Numfar! dance of pain.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 July 2019 - 01:49 AM)

If the USA vanished from Earth prior to millennials (later to be joined by Generation Z) coming of age, would the global community have the same magnitude of disparaging upon youths as a pastime because old boomers are insecure about their inability to handle new technology?

@  Ashley : (23 July 2019 - 12:02 AM)

This wasn't that, this was a "we don't trust banks!" thing

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 11:57 PM)

Well I know when I first got my back pay for disability, some of the paperwork said I couldn't have so much in the bank after 30 days...so I had to take out a huge chunk of cash.

@  Ashley : (22 July 2019 - 11:53 PM)

I know a family who lost thousands of dollars in a house fire because they were literally keeping it under the bed. Don't underestimate the USA's luddism.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 10:39 PM)

The US is filled with people LITERALLY proud of their ignorance of tech. Don't expect the US to be a major power in the next 30 years.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 10:25 PM)

Most people in Australia that I've heard of use electronic transactions for rent (and similar things). I mean, doubtless there are some people who use cash for various reasons of varying levels of ethics, but most require electronic transfers.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:22 PM)

But I don't understand Paladin's premise of "allowing the landlord access to one's bank account". I'm pretty sure I have acquaintances who pay monthly by check or automated bank transfer.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:15 PM)

I know many lower-end restaurants in the USA take cash only as a probable method of tax evasion. Perhaps that is why some landlords do as well. Alternatively, such people demand cash upfront because they have thin profit margins or whatever and are too afraid of spending the time and effort to pursue someone whose check or electronic payment bounced.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:14 PM)

@Nevermore The USA is a place where lots of people can proliferate at being technologically behind. e.g. almost no one accepts or pays by contactless yet despite the inherent security of the process. And by having a population of over 300 million we can generate large quantities of believers in the Luddite fallacy and such.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:59 PM)

I pay by credit card whenever possible for the rewards/points, but utilities don't usually allow that so those I just pay through the online bill payment feature rather than mess around with pre-authorizations

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:57 PM)

Most monthly or whatever payments are done electronically around here, I think. Mine certainly are. Whether by pre-authorized debit, an e-transfer (transfer from one bank account to another), or your bank's online bill payment system/database

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:04 PM)

If I overpaid, it may take several months for them to pay me back the difference. If I underpaid, they're very quick with demanding the difference.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:03 PM)

Meanwhile, I can write a tax report, but since the employer already deduced the standard legal taxes from my monthly payment, the tax report is also mostly just to let the tax authority determine if I underpaid or overpaid.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:02 PM)

Based on my average costs for the year, they will then calculate the estimated monthly costs for the upcoming year.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:01 PM)

At the end of the year, the power company will send me an annual invoice which shows if I overpaid or underpaid. If I overpaid, the difference may just be deduced from my December bill.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

I also pay my monthly gas and electricity bills that way.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

It's funny. Here in Germany, many people still pay cash in stores, restaurants etc. (the staff usually asks "cash or wireless?"), but many regular payments are handled wirelessly and automatically.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Around the same time, I get sent a slip from payroll that lists my gross income, all the deductions and the net income, i.e. the final transaction sum.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:56 PM)

My monthly payment from my employer is wirelessly transferred to my bank account. Taxes, health insurance, unemployment insurance and social security fees are calculated by the payroll department, handled by the employer, and I just get paid the rest after taxes and everything.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

yes. you're assuming US employers would pay fairly & take fairly.

@  Telly : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

we dont get paid on a monthly basis, if thats what you mean. i myself get paid every 2 weeks. some are every week. and if im telling you something you already know, just ignore me...

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:54 PM)

Which I assume doesn't work that way in the US either?

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:53 PM)

That way you may time the transaction with your monthly payment from your employer.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:52 PM)

You don't need to give the landlord access to anything. You go to your bank, show the clerk your bank account card, give them the landlord's bank details, tell them the exact amount of the rent and which day of the month the transaction should happen, sign the order, and you're done.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:49 PM)

most Americans wouldn't trust a landlord with access to their bank account.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Do people in other countries really still pay their landlords in cash? Here in Germany, it's very common to have the payment as an automated bank transaction on a set day of the month, so if the payment is late, it's either the bank's fault, or there's not enough money on the bank account.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 05:46 PM)

meanwhile some of us are trying to calculate if they'll have a spare forty bucks at the end of the week for some food...

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 07:20 AM)

At least I can see where the 600 US bucks is going in this case. The MP line looks more ridiculous by the day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 July 2019 - 07:09 AM)

It's ridiculous. I'll stick to Armadacron

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 06:13 AM)

If anything, shipping is going to make the actual toy's price look affordable.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 02:28 AM)

Its like, $550 ish in US money (so probably about $800 for my Australian self) and is taller than TR Fort Max. He's gonna be a hefty boy.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 July 2019 - 10:05 PM)

Damn, that Unicron looks big. Not gonna be cheap

@  wonko the sane? : (21 July 2019 - 09:09 PM)

"By the way, your landlord called. Something about being late with the rent."

@  Nevermore : (21 July 2019 - 04:09 PM)

"Hi there, I'm Unicron. Your husband ordered me."

@  unluckiness : (21 July 2019 - 09:04 AM)

"Perhaps I misjudged you. Proceed on your way to the couch."

@  Donocropolis : (21 July 2019 - 07:33 AM)

I'm just afraid of what my wife would do to me if it showed up at our door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 July 2019 - 01:23 AM)

Giant Robot Satan has that effect on people.

@  Ashley : (21 July 2019 - 12:31 AM)

So, I might not be able to get Hasbro Pulse Unicron because my mother is afraid of it

@  Pennpenn : (20 July 2019 - 09:58 PM)

But that's neither here nor there.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Both maybe?

@  Benbot : (20 July 2019 - 04:44 PM)

Do you need a criminal lawyer or a criminal, lawyer.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 10:40 AM)

I don't suppose the allspark has any criminal lawyers from Georgia. ;P

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 July 2019 - 01:17 PM)

It seems like, with these kind of things, anything not TF-specific is either in an existing thread or just not discussed since they're not part of something deemed important enough to get its own thread already.

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Yeah, but it's for Transformers specifically

Photo
- - - - -

The Vok, Swarm, and Earth: What the hell happened?

Vok Earth Humanity Swarm Beast Era G2 Wings Universe Marvel

117 replies to this topic

#81 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16736 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:39 AM

I retrospectively hate "Brigadoon" just because the BWU book is full of author-intentist noncanon falsehoods and I no longer believe we should have legitimized anything new printed in it.

#82 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 17272 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:56 AM

I mean, it's not like the in-universe explanation for Hound and Bumblebee's names is that they're named after the actual Earth animals.

Wait, isn't that literally the only in-universe explanation we've ever had for a Bumblebee's name?

#83 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 22828 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:01 AM

Emirate Xaaron

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#84 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 22828 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:10 AM

I'm generally not a fan of ex post facto naming of things, and less so if I think that it's a dumb or inappropriate name. Or if it's conflating the thing with something else that it wasn't intended to be associated with in the first place. So I dislike Brigadoon for the reasons Kil mentioned, Darksyde because it's very very dumb, and stuff like Playback for the Paradron guy or Archforce for Straxus!Megatron because I think they should be separate characters.

Honest question: how do you feel about the Nemesis?

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#85 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22282 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:15 AM

I mean, it's not like the in-universe explanation for Hound and Bumblebee's names is that they're named after the actual Earth animals.

Wait, isn't that literally the only in-universe explanation we've ever had for a Bumblebee's name?

If you mean Animated, Sentinel (most likely) didn't know what Earth lifeforms were like at the time, so I assume he meant a similar alien bug instead.

I'm not sure how much of a stretch that is, but it's still less bizarre to think about than "random assortment of syllables that came from a musical in the '40s".

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 25 January 2019 - 09:19 AM.

#86 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42252 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:17 AM

Doesn't Charlie name him after the Earth critter in the new movie?

I... *cough* I haven't seen it yet. But I thought I saw that clip online in one of the trailers/sizzlers.

#87 Creedence

Creedence

borf borf

• Citizen
  • 9016 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:35 AM

I forget though, didn't the "Predacon Ship" that came with 10th Megatron get a sticker applied to the box that covered over "Darksyde"?

It was misspelled as "Preadcon Ship" so they had to use a sticker to cover it.

Edited by Creedence, 25 January 2019 - 09:36 AM.

#88 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 26657 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:36 AM

Yeah, Bumblebee's name definitely comes from Charlie in the movie.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#89 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 2133 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:37 AM

Wow, I didn't think me calling the thing by its Wiki Name would cause, like, three pages of discourse. My stance on it was just "that's the only time it's ever been named in anything, so better that than no name."

Re: Earth after the great war, I had a big, complicated headcanon in Personal Canon Theatre, that the Maximal Elders deliberately deleted and obfuscated its existence, and the fact that the Ark had been buried there as a way to avoid people stealing Transwarp ships and doing what Megatron eventually did. Note that when Depth Charge flies there in the future, it's also marked as a restricted zone of travel. 

#90 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 17272 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:46 AM

I didn't remember that we know that people get their names from boot camp in Animated (what are they called before that?) but I was talking about Bee Movie, yeah. Where Charlie says he reminds her of a bumblebee even though he sounds nothing like one.

(Much like the floating island Brigadoon is nothing like a disappearing Scottish village.)

#91 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42252 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:06 AM

Yeah even though there are in-fiction instances of Transformers names being derived from Earth words, the overwhelming majority of names that are Earth words are never explained. They're there, they reflect the meaning of the Earth word enough for us to understand the reference and that's as far as they need to go.

Brigadoon being a mythical island is no less stupid than Orthia being a Greek goddess. Or Hound being an Earth animal. Or even Ratchet being an Earth handtool.

How it got named Brigadoon though is silly and doesn't seem like something that the actual fiction should be beholden to... and of course I'll say the same thing about AVP and the obscure Club stuff that named things. Anything that's a retcon name needs a ginormous asterisk, IMO.

#92 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 22828 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:09 AM

How it got named Brigadoon though is silly and doesn't seem like something that the actual fiction should be beholden to... and of course I'll say the same thing about AVP and the obscure Club stuff that named things. Anything that's a retcon name needs a ginormous asterisk, IMO.

That I absolutely agree with

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#93 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1740 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:10 AM

"Ark" is a common noun that means "box" (e.g. Ark of the Covenant), so you can just pretend that the in-universe name is a Cybertronian common noun that also means "box".

The trouble is, once you open the Pandora's box that is etymology there's no closing it. I mean, there are the obvious cases like Jazz, which refers to a very specific thing. But even something innocuous like Hot Rod has its own complicated etymological history rooted in specific parts of Earth history.

https://en.m.wikiped...t_rod#etymology

But let's deconstruct an even more innocuous name: Huffer. One who huffs, or maybe, one who is often in a huff. But huff is a 16th century onomatopoeia for heavy breathing, which evolved into a word for annoyance. How would THAT have any cultural relevance for a bunch of robots?

Basically if you pull on any (or at least a significant fraction) of these threads they quickly unravel. I think you have to assume that whatever translation algorithms they're using are incredibly fuzzy and/or sophisticated and move from there.

Edited by Jim S, 25 January 2019 - 10:12 AM.

#94 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 26657 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:30 AM

This just reminds me of my personal theory that Roadbuster and Trailbreaker actually have the same name in Cybertronian.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#95 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9633 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:31 AM

Brigadoon isn't a bad name for the flying island because it comes from a piece of Earth culture. That is the source of tons of names in TF fiction, it often doesn't make actual logical sense, and that's fine with me. 

It's a bad name because it's not thematically appropriate. 

Edited by Kil, 25 January 2019 - 11:31 AM.

#96 Broadside

Broadside

Crack Calibre Laser-Blazer Broadside

• Staff
  • 10937 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:59 PM

I love Darksyde because it's not a bad name, and because it's got such an absurd origin. It's stupid as hell and that's what makes it great.

3nAcIwa.png

#97 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42252 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:11 PM

There is a charm to the series of events from the BotCon/DVD pack-in comic and the episode.

MEGS: "Don't name the ship we're stealing."
TERRY: "But I already did. It's the Dar--"
MEGS: "We're never going to call it that."

*First chance Terrorsaur gets to use it, he curls himself dramatically and booms his voice to intimidate Cheetor*

TERRY: "Welcome. To the Darksyde."

*Terrorsaur gets thromped multiple times. No one ever uses the name ever again.*

Edited by NightViper, 25 January 2019 - 01:15 PM.

#98 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 17272 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:47 PM

While we're bitching about names, can I just complain that somehow we were left with the part of a Bee Movie draft that made him "B-127" in a movie that demonstrated that everybody else on the planet already had names? Was he a slave?

#99 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Supporter
  • 49552 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:33 PM

It was so they could have Charlie name him, and have that name not be what he had before. Everyone else having unexplained names makes it worse, but that's why it's in the movie. 

In any case, yes, all retroactive naming is stupid and should be treated as secondary even when the name provided in the actual source material actually being discussed is "the flying island". 

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#100 repowers

repowers

I AM THE ONE OF GOOD!!!

• Citizen
  • 1245 posts
  • Location:Portland, Oregon. They promised me giant robot battles. I don't see any giant robot battles.

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:39 PM

My thing with retroactive naming is that if you watch the shows, you'd never know what someone means if they talk about Brigadoon or Darksyde or the Ark*. Using those names is less descriptive in the context of the primary source material.

But if they talk about the flying island or the Predacon ship/Predacon base or Autobot Headquarters, you'll know exactly what they're talking about. 

*for the G1 cartoon, not BW

repowers @ TFWiki.net

Robert is made to withstand plenty of play, and transforms from car to robot! Go, Robert, go!

Why will we solve after Robert grasps the abysmal winter's ulcer? He may change rural tailors, do you join them? The films, tapes, and spoons are all good and fresh.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vok, Earth, Humanity, Swarm, Beast Era, G2, Wings Universe, Marvel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users