Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (26 February 2020 - 06:32 PM)

So the question is... has Madagascar closed down all its ports yet?

@  Nevermore : (26 February 2020 - 06:31 PM)

A couple that got infected attended a Carnival event with over 300 people in attendance.

@  Nevermore : (26 February 2020 - 06:25 PM)

So the Corona virus keeps getting closer to where I live. Several confirmed cases in my federal state already.

@  Steevy Maximus : (26 February 2020 - 02:20 PM)

Man, only having collector sites to get Toy Fair news from sucks. Did you know there is a 4" line of kids figures for the new Avengers game coming?

@  Dekafox : (26 February 2020 - 11:54 AM)

Since Omega already exists they could name it Auntie

@  Otaku : (26 February 2020 - 10:07 AM)

Oh, and one last Titan,provided we can fudge things a bit to include a character from Transformers: Animated; how about something at least resembling TF:A Omega Supreme?

@  Otaku : (26 February 2020 - 10:05 AM)

How about they find a way to make a mold they can use for both Broadside and Tidal Wave?

@  Maximus Ambus : (26 February 2020 - 02:13 AM)

Optimus Maximus, the mysterious titan of the Arisen, also Iaconus from Cyberverse.

@  TriBlurr : (25 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

I think the only other Titan class character that would interest me after Scoponok would be Tidal Wave

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 February 2020 - 07:34 PM)

A Titan would have more room for other toys to hang out, assuming one has the table space for it.

@  Darth Gonzo : (24 February 2020 - 03:32 PM)

Play wise which would be better a Commander Class Aircraft Carrier Mode Broadside or a Titan Class Aircraft Carrier Mode Broadside?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 February 2020 - 01:53 PM)

I'd be interested in a deluxe or voyager Fort Max in Armada flashback red-and-green.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 February 2020 - 10:49 AM)

I'd honestly be more interested in Commander-class Scorponok and Fort Max. I don't have the space for Titans.

@  Maximus Ambus : (24 February 2020 - 10:44 AM)

Make Commander class city bots to annoy collectors too

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 February 2020 - 10:43 AM)

Make two Broadsides. One Voyager-sized that only turns into a jet, and one Titan-sized that only turns into an aircraft carrier. Piss off everyone on both sides of the scale.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (24 February 2020 - 10:41 AM)

Since they seem to also go by the oh-so holy cartoon scale thing, he'd probably be a Commander Class figure.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 February 2020 - 10:34 AM)

Broadside is an aircraft carrier. He should probably be metroplex sized.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (24 February 2020 - 10:21 AM)

Broadside's more of a Commander Class.

@  Darth Gonzo : (24 February 2020 - 04:47 AM)

I think Broadside should be the next Titan Class figure.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 February 2020 - 09:38 PM)

I tan nicely! But also have a family history of cancer... so... yeah, pasty for me it is.

@  Otaku : (23 February 2020 - 04:22 PM)

I really do begin to get sunburned after about 5 minutes of direct exposure, nowadays.  Side effect of already being pasty then going on a particular medication.  Yay?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 February 2020 - 01:36 PM)

It makes me burn. Accursed daystar.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 February 2020 - 01:33 PM)

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy....

@  Vexwing : (22 February 2020 - 03:26 AM)

I watched L.I.L.Y.Cat on there a while back, it was surprisingly good.

@  Steevy Maximus : (21 February 2020 - 08:47 PM)

@Dekafox, no DTP, but they DO have LILY Cat ;)

@  CORVUS : (21 February 2020 - 08:46 PM)

For me, it's "chocolate therapy".

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 08:32 PM)

Tonight dough owns my soul.

@  CORVUS : (21 February 2020 - 07:28 PM)

Stupid, delicious Ben & Jerry's.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 February 2020 - 06:42 PM)

Ahh. I remember watching Bubblegum Crisis 2020 or whatever.

@  Dekafox : (21 February 2020 - 06:25 PM)

Next you'll say they have Dominion Tank Police and L.I.L.Y.Cat

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 February 2020 - 06:06 PM)

Bubblegum Crisis, going by several shouts down.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 February 2020 - 05:38 PM)

BGC?

@  Bass X0 : (21 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Enjoy the fudgy icing of this Hostess Cup Cake!

@  Telly : (21 February 2020 - 02:31 PM)

harlock is on tubi as well. not dubbed though :(

@  Rhinox42 : (21 February 2020 - 01:19 PM)

Blugh, the english dub of BGC is atrocious.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I might need to update my software, or they face regional limitations, cause I found no evidence of either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 10:31 PM)

DUDE! Starcom and COPS are on Tubi too!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 09:29 PM)

Spiffy! The english dub of Bubblegum Crisis on Tubi. It's gotten so hard to find these oldies on modern streaming services.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:44 PM)

And now I know and now I know and now I know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:31 PM)

Oh, oh, people can you hear me? People can you hear me? People can you hear me?

@  Echowarrior : (20 February 2020 - 06:39 PM)

Let me go-o-o-o!

@  Telly : (20 February 2020 - 05:41 PM)

Galileo Galileo!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 05:36 PM)

Very very fright-ning me!

@  Sabrblade : (20 February 2020 - 04:02 PM)

*thunder and lightning*

@  ▲ndrusi : (20 February 2020 - 03:46 PM)

Ah, ah, ah!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 03:33 PM)

Already did. It didn't take long.

@  Dekafox : (19 February 2020 - 06:14 PM)

Count Zero?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 February 2020 - 03:53 PM)

Oh boy, here we go.

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:34 PM)

Or do Japan's cultural values vary depending on exactly who you're trying to shut down?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Could it be that, perhaps, these different cultural values might lead to a different approach seeming appropriate?

Photo
- - - - -

The Vok, Swarm, and Earth: What the hell happened?

Vok Earth Humanity Swarm Beast Era G2 Wings Universe Marvel

117 replies to this topic

#81 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16982 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:39 AM

I retrospectively hate "Brigadoon" just because the BWU book is full of author-intentist noncanon falsehoods and I no longer believe we should have legitimized anything new printed in it.

#82 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 18045 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:56 AM

I mean, it's not like the in-universe explanation for Hound and Bumblebee's names is that they're named after the actual Earth animals.

Wait, isn't that literally the only in-universe explanation we've ever had for a Bumblebee's name?

#83 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 23043 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:01 AM

Emirate Xaaron

#84 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 23043 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:10 AM

I'm generally not a fan of ex post facto naming of things, and less so if I think that it's a dumb or inappropriate name. Or if it's conflating the thing with something else that it wasn't intended to be associated with in the first place. So I dislike Brigadoon for the reasons Kil mentioned, Darksyde because it's very very dumb, and stuff like Playback for the Paradron guy or Archforce for Straxus!Megatron because I think they should be separate characters.

Honest question: how do you feel about the Nemesis?

#85 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23303 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:15 AM

I mean, it's not like the in-universe explanation for Hound and Bumblebee's names is that they're named after the actual Earth animals.

Wait, isn't that literally the only in-universe explanation we've ever had for a Bumblebee's name?

If you mean Animated, Sentinel (most likely) didn't know what Earth lifeforms were like at the time, so I assume he meant a similar alien bug instead.

I'm not sure how much of a stretch that is, but it's still less bizarre to think about than "random assortment of syllables that came from a musical in the '40s".

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 25 January 2019 - 09:19 AM.

#86 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42497 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:17 AM

Doesn't Charlie name him after the Earth critter in the new movie?

I... *cough* I haven't seen it yet. But I thought I saw that clip online in one of the trailers/sizzlers.

#87 Creedence

Creedence

borf borf

• Citizen
  • 9193 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:35 AM

I forget though, didn't the "Predacon Ship" that came with 10th Megatron get a sticker applied to the box that covered over "Darksyde"?

It was misspelled as "Preadcon Ship" so they had to use a sticker to cover it.

Edited by Creedence, 25 January 2019 - 09:36 AM.

#88 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 27134 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:36 AM

Yeah, Bumblebee's name definitely comes from Charlie in the movie.

#89 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 2138 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:37 AM

Wow, I didn't think me calling the thing by its Wiki Name would cause, like, three pages of discourse. My stance on it was just "that's the only time it's ever been named in anything, so better that than no name."

Re: Earth after the great war, I had a big, complicated headcanon in Personal Canon Theatre, that the Maximal Elders deliberately deleted and obfuscated its existence, and the fact that the Ark had been buried there as a way to avoid people stealing Transwarp ships and doing what Megatron eventually did. Note that when Depth Charge flies there in the future, it's also marked as a restricted zone of travel. 

#90 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 18045 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:46 AM

I didn't remember that we know that people get their names from boot camp in Animated (what are they called before that?) but I was talking about Bee Movie, yeah. Where Charlie says he reminds her of a bumblebee even though he sounds nothing like one.

(Much like the floating island Brigadoon is nothing like a disappearing Scottish village.)

#91 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42497 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:06 AM

Yeah even though there are in-fiction instances of Transformers names being derived from Earth words, the overwhelming majority of names that are Earth words are never explained. They're there, they reflect the meaning of the Earth word enough for us to understand the reference and that's as far as they need to go.

Brigadoon being a mythical island is no less stupid than Orthia being a Greek goddess. Or Hound being an Earth animal. Or even Ratchet being an Earth handtool.

How it got named Brigadoon though is silly and doesn't seem like something that the actual fiction should be beholden to... and of course I'll say the same thing about AVP and the obscure Club stuff that named things. Anything that's a retcon name needs a ginormous asterisk, IMO.

#92 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 23043 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:09 AM

How it got named Brigadoon though is silly and doesn't seem like something that the actual fiction should be beholden to... and of course I'll say the same thing about AVP and the obscure Club stuff that named things. Anything that's a retcon name needs a ginormous asterisk, IMO.

That I absolutely agree with

#93 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1816 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:10 AM

"Ark" is a common noun that means "box" (e.g. Ark of the Covenant), so you can just pretend that the in-universe name is a Cybertronian common noun that also means "box".

The trouble is, once you open the Pandora's box that is etymology there's no closing it. I mean, there are the obvious cases like Jazz, which refers to a very specific thing. But even something innocuous like Hot Rod has its own complicated etymological history rooted in specific parts of Earth history.

https://en.m.wikiped...t_rod#etymology

But let's deconstruct an even more innocuous name: Huffer. One who huffs, or maybe, one who is often in a huff. But huff is a 16th century onomatopoeia for heavy breathing, which evolved into a word for annoyance. How would THAT have any cultural relevance for a bunch of robots?

Basically if you pull on any (or at least a significant fraction) of these threads they quickly unravel. I think you have to assume that whatever translation algorithms they're using are incredibly fuzzy and/or sophisticated and move from there.

Edited by Jim S, 25 January 2019 - 10:12 AM.

#94 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 27134 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:30 AM

This just reminds me of my personal theory that Roadbuster and Trailbreaker actually have the same name in Cybertronian.

#95 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9729 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:31 AM

Brigadoon isn't a bad name for the flying island because it comes from a piece of Earth culture. That is the source of tons of names in TF fiction, it often doesn't make actual logical sense, and that's fine with me. 

It's a bad name because it's not thematically appropriate. 

Edited by Kil, 25 January 2019 - 11:31 AM.

#96 Broadside

Broadside

#HaulOfFame

• Citizen
  • 11067 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:59 PM

I love Darksyde because it's not a bad name, and because it's got such an absurd origin. It's stupid as hell and that's what makes it great.

unknown.png

#97 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42497 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:11 PM

There is a charm to the series of events from the BotCon/DVD pack-in comic and the episode.

MEGS: "Don't name the ship we're stealing."
TERRY: "But I already did. It's the Dar--"
MEGS: "We're never going to call it that."

*First chance Terrorsaur gets to use it, he curls himself dramatically and booms his voice to intimidate Cheetor*

TERRY: "Welcome. To the Darksyde."

*Terrorsaur gets thromped multiple times. No one ever uses the name ever again.*

Edited by NightViper, 25 January 2019 - 01:15 PM.

#98 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 18045 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:47 PM

While we're bitching about names, can I just complain that somehow we were left with the part of a Bee Movie draft that made him "B-127" in a movie that demonstrated that everybody else on the planet already had names? Was he a slave?

#99 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 50785 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:33 PM

It was so they could have Charlie name him, and have that name not be what he had before. Everyone else having unexplained names makes it worse, but that's why it's in the movie. 

In any case, yes, all retroactive naming is stupid and should be treated as secondary even when the name provided in the actual source material actually being discussed is "the flying island". 

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#100 repowers

repowers

I AM THE ONE OF GOOD!!!

• Citizen
  • 1452 posts
  • Location:Portland, Oregon. They promised me giant robot battles. I don't see any giant robot battles.

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:39 PM

My thing with retroactive naming is that if you watch the shows, you'd never know what someone means if they talk about Brigadoon or Darksyde or the Ark*. Using those names is less descriptive in the context of the primary source material.

But if they talk about the flying island or the Predacon ship/Predacon base or Autobot Headquarters, you'll know exactly what they're talking about. 

*for the G1 cartoon, not BW

repowers @ TFWiki.net

Robert is made to withstand plenty of play, and transforms from car to robot! Go, Robert, go!

Why will we solve after Robert grasps the abysmal winter's ulcer? He may change rural tailors, do you join them? The films, tapes, and spoons are all good and fresh.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vok, Earth, Humanity, Swarm, Beast Era, G2, Wings Universe, Marvel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users