Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 05:46 PM)

meanwhile some of us are trying to calculate if they'll have a spare forty bucks at the end of the week for some food...

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 07:20 AM)

At least I can see where the 600 US bucks is going in this case. The MP line looks more ridiculous by the day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 July 2019 - 07:09 AM)

It's ridiculous. I'll stick to Armadacron

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 06:13 AM)

If anything, shipping is going to make the actual toy's price look affordable.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 02:28 AM)

Its like, $550 ish in US money (so probably about $800 for my Australian self) and is taller than TR Fort Max. He's gonna be a hefty boy.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 July 2019 - 10:05 PM)

Damn, that Unicron looks big. Not gonna be cheap

@  wonko the sane? : (21 July 2019 - 09:09 PM)

"By the way, your landlord called. Something about being late with the rent."

@  Nevermore : (21 July 2019 - 04:09 PM)

"Hi there, I'm Unicron. Your husband ordered me."

@  unluckiness : (21 July 2019 - 09:04 AM)

"Perhaps I misjudged you. Proceed on your way to the couch."

@  Donocropolis : (21 July 2019 - 07:33 AM)

I'm just afraid of what my wife would do to me if it showed up at our door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 July 2019 - 01:23 AM)

Giant Robot Satan has that effect on people.

@  Ashley : (21 July 2019 - 12:31 AM)

So, I might not be able to get Hasbro Pulse Unicron because my mother is afraid of it

@  Pennpenn : (20 July 2019 - 09:58 PM)

But that's neither here nor there.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Both maybe?

@  Benbot : (20 July 2019 - 04:44 PM)

Do you need a criminal lawyer or a criminal, lawyer.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 10:40 AM)

I don't suppose the allspark has any criminal lawyers from Georgia. ;P

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 July 2019 - 01:17 PM)

It seems like, with these kind of things, anything not TF-specific is either in an existing thread or just not discussed since they're not part of something deemed important enough to get its own thread already.

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Yeah, but it's for Transformers specifically

@  Gryllid : (19 July 2019 - 12:39 PM)

There is. It's called "SDCC 2019 thread"

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:24 PM)

no general SDCC thread?

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:08 PM)

I never even bothered to see it.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2019 - 10:30 AM)

O never hated it, the whole thing was an Indiana Jones movie. I didn't care for the CGI, but that's just nature of the beast.

@  Paladin : (19 July 2019 - 07:58 AM)

sidebar- has enough time passed that we can stop irrationally hating "Crystal Skull" yet?

@  Telly : (18 July 2019 - 09:18 PM)

after 38 years and i dont know how many viewings, today is the first time i noticed indiana jones doesnt use a revolver in the bar fight in raiders...

@  Kalidor : (18 July 2019 - 05:33 PM)

@Sabrblade Depends on when you're here. I used to have the backups happen once daily, now I have them happen once per hour so you might often see a hesitation at the top of every hour for 30-45 seconds.

@  Locoman : (18 July 2019 - 05:11 PM)

isn't that just Modern Family

@  Foffy : (18 July 2019 - 04:45 PM)

that's right. my gym teacher is a clown. new series coming to disney channel next fall

@  Foffy : (18 July 2019 - 04:44 PM)

all these clowns are making me run really fast.

@  Sabrblade : (18 July 2019 - 12:10 PM)

All this awesome SDCC news is really making these boards run slowly.

@  Bass X0 : (18 July 2019 - 07:54 AM)

Racism must be stopped. No matter the cost.

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2019 - 07:49 AM)

Tine to stop buttering it up.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 July 2019 - 09:43 PM)

Well shucks.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 July 2019 - 08:14 PM)

The joke is a husk of its former self.

@  Paladin : (17 July 2019 - 01:15 PM)

Pop.

@  Shrug : (17 July 2019 - 10:15 AM)

Something something... corn bread?

@  MEDdMI : (17 July 2019 - 07:21 AM)

Ok, ok. Enough of the puns and let's all thank Kal for the amaizeing job he did.

@  Paladin : (17 July 2019 - 06:24 AM)

by now I think this jokes' been creamed.

@  Nevermore : (17 July 2019 - 03:31 AM)

The kernel.

@  Nevermore : (17 July 2019 - 03:31 AM)

Who gives the orders in cybernetic warfare?

@  unluckiness : (16 July 2019 - 09:59 PM)

Zea mays

@  Xellos : (16 July 2019 - 09:53 PM)

Isn't that a kernel of truth.

@  Paladin : (16 July 2019 - 08:43 PM)

huh. suddenly the Squawk is popping.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2019 - 07:47 PM)

Not placing much stalk in this conversation.

@  Nevermore : (16 July 2019 - 06:22 PM)

That's so corny.

@  Shrug : (16 July 2019 - 06:07 PM)

It's absurd how happy I am that a post of mine made the front page of Reddit.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2019 - 05:46 PM)

Aww, shucks.

@  TriBlurr : (16 July 2019 - 05:45 PM)

Not till I taste the corn

@  Kalidor : (16 July 2019 - 05:43 PM)

You guys aren't being very nice. You're supposed to tell me I did "good, really good!"

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2019 - 05:40 PM)

Just don't go beyond the rows.

Photo
- - - - -

The Vok, Swarm, and Earth: What the hell happened?

Vok Earth Humanity Swarm Beast Era G2 Wings Universe Marvel

117 replies to this topic

#61 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38709 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:17 PM

The Fan Club, I do believe.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#62 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 22828 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:21 PM

Naming that island "Brigadoon" is about ten times less stupid than "Darksyde" and about a hundred times less stupid than most of AVP.

Kind of a low bar really. I mean "Darksyde" is really, really dumb.

I can guarantee people woudn't hate the name Brigadoon if it was actually used in the show.

I can guarantee the article wouldn't be called that if the name hadn't been used offhand in a random supplementary source with zero connection to the series.

If we're done guaranteeing readily apparent things, literally no one even implied it was a bad name.

Evidently, I didn't read it that way.

In any case, my point was that, as far as I can tell, the only thing that makes people dislike the name Brigadoon was it coming from a later source, which, putting it bluntly, I think is stupid.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#63 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 22828 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:29 PM

Naming that island "Brigadoon" is about ten times less stupid than "Darksyde" and about a hundred times less stupid than most of AVP.

Why does the wiki use the dumber spelling, anyway? "Dark Side" was first used in the N64 game and was used again for IDW.

I mean, it's still dumb, but at least minimize the stupidity.

Mainframe would totally have spelt it with a "y" if they had come up with that name.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#64 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3916 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:33 PM

I'm curious as to what you all think happened to Earth in the time near the end and after the Great War. I personally like what BW Uprising did, making them and the Cybertronians on less than amicable terms. Although, other could always just be a case of, "Hey, let's not go around letting everyone know where Earth is, considering that could, y'know, erase the timestream and start another war."

Crack theory: Earth has become Holy Terra, capital of the Imperium of Man. For the Emperor!

If you go with the theory that the "300 years" between G1 and Beast Era is in Cybertronian years, then it's quite likely that humanity is extinct.

Or at least that's my headcanon.

#65 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9632 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:35 PM

I can safely say that I would indeed think Brigadoon was stupid name if it was used in the show. Brigadoon is a musical. In which it's the name of a Scottish village that magically appears for one day every 100 years, and an American tourist falls in love with one of the villagers. What does this have to do with a flying island full of death traps and the giant laser beam firing monument that getting past them gains you control of?

Edited by Kil, 24 January 2019 - 06:35 PM.

#66 repowers

repowers

I AM THE ONE OF GOOD!!!

• Citizen
  • 1245 posts
  • Location:Portland, Oregon. They promised me giant robot battles. I don't see any giant robot battles.

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:48 PM

"Brigadoon" is a silly name for the flying island because 

1) Who, in-story, decided it needed a proper noun name?

2) Who's referencing that name? Did the Vok send a map down with the name written on it? Or did Rattrap mark the ship's maps with a name for the thing that was only around for like a day?

3) How did they settle on a 1940s musical as the source of the name when they are a few million years before Broadway existed?

ETA: ninja'd

Edited by repowers, 24 January 2019 - 06:48 PM.

repowers @ TFWiki.net

Robert is made to withstand plenty of play, and transforms from car to robot! Go, Robert, go!

Why will we solve after Robert grasps the abysmal winter's ulcer? He may change rural tailors, do you join them? The films, tapes, and spoons are all good and fresh.

#67 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3916 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:51 PM

You're absolutely right.

They should have called it "Castle in the Sky."

#68 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 22828 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:51 PM

I feel like you could probably ask the same question for about 50 or so percent of spaceships/places in Transformers.

Probably more for characters themselves.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#69 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28145 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:08 PM

Like, how'd the Autobots name their ship "the Ark" four million years before Noah was born, hm? It's just one of those silly nonsensical things that happens in fiction that we're not supposed to read into that much.

Edited by Sabrblade, 24 January 2019 - 07:11 PM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#70 Creedence

Creedence

borf borf

• Citizen
  • 9015 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:42 PM

Yeah, I know where the spelling comes from. My question is why the wiki uses that awful spelling when "Dark Side" is an older spelling.

#71 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28145 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:59 PM

Yeah, I know where the spelling comes from. My question is why the wiki uses that awful spelling when "Dark Side" is an older spelling.

https://tfwiki.net/m...420&oldid=50419

Revision as of 13:05, 15 October 2006 (edit) (undo)

ItsWalky (Talk)
m (Darkside moved to Darksyde: I think the convention comic wins out over the spelling used in the DVD sets.)

Edited by Sabrblade, 24 January 2019 - 07:59 PM.

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#72 Creedence

Creedence

borf borf

• Citizen
  • 9015 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:16 PM

And IDW ended up using "Dark Side" anyway, so.

#73 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 22828 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:24 PM

In the Beast Wars Sourcebook, so.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#74 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 17271 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:55 PM

If Rattrap named himself after a rat trap, I don't see why he couldn't name an island after Brigadoon. Obviously he hasn't bought into this "all the Earth records are sealed" business.

(And yeah, Brigadoon is a stupid name for that island, but Rattrap is a stupid name for a rat. Maybe Rattrap just shouldn't be allowed to name things anymore.)

#75 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28145 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:07 PM

He didn't name the island, though. No one did.

#76 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3916 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:53 PM

I name it... Fred.

#77 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28145 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:04 PM

I name it... Fred.

aiKCibs.jpg

#78 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42251 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 25 January 2019 - 06:42 AM

The "y" might have helped with toy trademarks. That's the only reason why it was added to the character names in the first place.

I forget though, didn't the "Predacon Ship" that came with 10th Megatron get a sticker applied to the box that covered over "Darksyde"? That came out the same year as BotCon DoFP, so might be a Hasbro thing... again... for toys.

#79 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 665 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:04 AM

I'm generally not a fan of ex post facto naming of things, and less so if I think that it's a dumb or inappropriate name. Or if it's conflating the thing with something else that it wasn't intended to be associated with in the first place. So I dislike Brigadoon for the reasons Kil mentioned, Darksyde because it's very very dumb, and stuff like Playback for the Paradron guy or Archforce for Straxus!Megatron because I think they should be separate characters.

#80 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22277 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:10 AM

Like, how'd the Autobots name their ship "the Ark" four million years before Noah was born, hm? It's just one of those silly nonsensical things that happens in fiction that we're not supposed to read into that much.

"Ark" is a common noun that means "box" (e.g. Ark of the Covenant), so you can just pretend that the in-universe name is a Cybertronian common noun that also means "box".

I mean, it's not like the in-universe explanation for Hound and Bumblebee's names is that they're named after the actual Earth animals.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vok, Earth, Humanity, Swarm, Beast Era, G2, Wings Universe, Marvel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users