Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 March 2020 - 11:08 PM)

Oh yeah, that was Fort Max. My bad.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:12 PM)

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Peritus_Maximus

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:11 PM)

Christmas Maximus?

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 March 2020 - 01:13 PM)

At least the ozone layer is healing. unless this is a 0.0000000001% thing it's sounds like good news.

@  ▲ndrusi : (28 March 2020 - 09:27 AM)

(But only pretty sure, not 100% sure.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (28 March 2020 - 09:26 AM)

Pretty sure y'all were thinking of Fortress Maximus yesterday.

@  Bass X0 : (28 March 2020 - 12:38 AM)

Dare! Dare to believe you can survive 2020!

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 March 2020 - 08:18 PM)

Baja Blast is back at retail!

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 March 2020 - 03:47 PM)

Shame he wasn't around more. He seemed like such a jolly, happy soul.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (27 March 2020 - 02:16 PM)

No, he was definitely Metroplex. You could tell because he was in Metroplex's distinctive red and green coloration.

@  Paladin : (27 March 2020 - 02:11 PM)

that was Leader-1. or possibly Jolt. maybe Grindor...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (27 March 2020 - 01:57 PM)

Metroplex was in Armada, in a flashback. He was the same size as everybody else. I thought that was the joke.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (27 March 2020 - 12:39 PM)

@Rodimus Supreme: Gah! You are right! How'd I get that mixed up? x.x;

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 March 2020 - 12:14 PM)

There is no Metroplex. Only Zuul.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:13 AM)

@Tm_Silverclaw: There is no Armada Metroplex, he was in Cybertron.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:12 AM)

And they'd be better off just retooling Metroplex and Fortress Maximus to be somewhat more accurate and changing/adding parts for interaction with later play gimmicks.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:11 AM)

I honestly would prefer that for scale purposes.

@  Cyoti : (27 March 2020 - 11:07 AM)

They can redo all the CW combiners as Titan Class figures like Predaking/Devastator.

@  Dekafox : (27 March 2020 - 07:52 AM)

They could just redo Metroplex again too. Especially if it's going to be S3 based. They could also do another Primus to go with the coming Unicron.

@  OverDrive73 : (26 March 2020 - 10:56 PM)

If anyone is bored, or interested... I just added the last chapter to my fanfic comic in Allspark Pictures

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (26 March 2020 - 10:54 PM)

And no.. We could always get Titan Class Superion.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (26 March 2020 - 10:53 PM)

We need Titan Class Transformers Armada Metroplex.

@  Telly : (26 March 2020 - 08:39 PM)

ill be surprised if scorpy isnt the last titan

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 March 2020 - 05:57 PM)

Too bad a new character titan class figure is pretty much an impossibility.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 March 2020 - 05:56 PM)

I want a titan class, really good looking bucket wheel excavator. Like Cybertron Metroplex was supposed to be but didn't quite pull off.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 March 2020 - 03:32 PM)

I just taped up a shower curtain and took my first shower in three weeks. It was heavenly.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (26 March 2020 - 11:48 AM)

I would buy that...

@  Maximus Ambus : (24 March 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Studio Series 100 Titan Class Driller.

@  Sabrblade : (23 March 2020 - 09:05 PM)

I'll give ya 25 cents, a pack of gum, and some peanuts.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 March 2020 - 07:35 PM)

I can give ya twenty bucks for it.

@  Paladin : (23 March 2020 - 04:28 PM)

hoarder? I hardly know 'er?

@  Dekafox : (23 March 2020 - 01:52 PM)

FOR THE HORDE!

@  repowers : (23 March 2020 - 01:48 PM)

* hordes shrubberies *

@  Telly : (23 March 2020 - 01:46 PM)

YET...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 March 2020 - 01:22 PM)

At least we haven't resorted to shouting "NI" at old ladies.

@  CORVUS : (23 March 2020 - 11:04 AM)

Keep it out, and I won't reply to it.

@  RichardT1977 : (23 March 2020 - 08:50 AM)

It's a sad world where we can't discuss our health and safety without it descending into political arguments...

@  fourteenwings : (22 March 2020 - 11:46 PM)

woah I have no idea what's going on here but it's certainly breaking the "keep P&R out of the shoutbox" rules (which really should be enforced like... at all)

@  CORVUS : (22 March 2020 - 11:13 PM)

Ugh, Chinese. Typo-city.

@  CORVUS : (22 March 2020 - 11:11 PM)

Rodimus, you're just flat-out wrong. Trump eliminated the Pandemic Response Team. Trump was advised in January that this could be serious, and he didn't listen. Trump spent weeks downplaying COVID-19 by implying it was a hoax, and then that it was just a type of flu. He was late to close down travel from China, and by the time he closed down air-travel to the EU, that was also too late. He has refused to take responsibility for removing the pandemic response team, even though he basically bragged about it some months before. He's also prematurely talked up treatments using chlorquinine that have not been properly vetted as yet, and he keeps calling COVID-19 the "Chinense virus" because he can't help but be a jerk. Face facts: Trump is an incompetent bungler. Period. Full-stop.

@  repowers : (22 March 2020 - 03:49 PM)

That's totally super biased!

@  Nevermore : (22 March 2020 - 03:00 PM)

I'm not. I'm listening to his own contradictory statements.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 March 2020 - 02:06 PM)

Most people don't, but it's still making enough ratings to continue, apparently.

@  Bass X0 : (22 March 2020 - 11:45 AM)

I’m not finding modern episodes of The Simpson’s at all funny.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (22 March 2020 - 11:44 AM)

Trump HAS been working on this, stop listening to those idiot "news" outlets that just spin everything against him out of bias.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 March 2020 - 08:52 AM)

At the least, they could keep it off of Twitter.

@  wonko the sane? : (22 March 2020 - 08:10 AM)

I'm pretty sure the capuchin from "outbreak" would have done a better job than trump.

@  Nevermore : (22 March 2020 - 05:13 AM)

Isn't it sad that President Schwarzenegger would have been the better alternative in retrospect?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (22 March 2020 - 03:38 AM)

It was President Schwarzenegger, not Wolfcastle.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 March 2020 - 02:51 AM)

He put that in a speech in Springfields 'Do as we say' festival in 2005 too.

Photo
- - - - -

Who "Owns the Name" to you?

34 replies to this topic

#1 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35138 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 05:04 PM

I thought this would be something worth gauging people's perspective on. Tons of characters have had different names associated with different characters, some of them wildly different from the originator instead of just being alternate counterparts of the person who had it first. So naturally, I imagine different people have a different sense of who they more strongly associate with a name than others.

There are no right or wrong answers here, it's just to see what people think.

Personally, for me, Red Alert is a white and blue ambulance before he's a red and white fire chief vehicle. I also think of the movieverse character before the G1 targetmaster when I think of the name Crosshairs. Likewise, I think of Thrust as "the green and gray conehead" and not the red one, usually.

As far as Beast Wars characters, it can go either way. Silverbolt and Inferno I consider equally with their G1 counterparts, but Scorponok is secondary to the traditional big, green, and mechanical versions in my head. Rampage, meanwhile, the BW incarnation comes to mind more than the G1 Predacon.

What are some examples for you guys?

"Disabled people dont have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnt a special need. Its a basic human right. Its a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#2 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42509 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 23 December 2018 - 05:16 PM

As much as I liked the characters in RiD, Jetstorm and Slipstream aren't Minicons.

#3 LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce

See if you can take the power of justice!

• Retired Staff
  • 2357 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 05:33 PM

See, this is tricky for me. To use Tyranno's example of Thrust? My ideal Thrust uses the G1 character design and Armada character/personality.
Or like how I use PotP Trailbreaker on my shelf but he's still got MtMtE/LL Trailbreakers character.

I like to mix and match is what I'm saying.

Edited by LordGigaIce, 23 December 2018 - 05:33 PM.

B3v0h0W.png

#4 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35138 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 05:43 PM

In Thrust's case, he and G1 Thrust actually have the same character, Armada Thrust just actually does something with it. Combined with his appearance being more distinctive while G1  is derivative of several other characters, that makes me consider his look and appearance first.

"Disabled people dont have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnt a special need. Its a basic human right. Its a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#5 Xero Prime

Xero Prime

its like drinking a My Little Pony

• Citizen
  • 1034 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 06:03 PM

This is my biggest issue with Movie Bumbelebee. The original Bumblebee isn't any of the things that the currently pushed version is and my brain rejects the modern character as Bumblebee.  I have really no issue with the modern character at all, but it just isn't Bumblebee.  The could have named the character anything else and it would be less jarring to my childhood perception of what Bumblebee is. 

Maybe the new movie will merge the two in my mind, or at least bridge the gap. I doubt it.

#6 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 66835 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 23 December 2018 - 06:07 PM

Usually the G1 versions of guys. Even guys were a later version was more prominent.

Barricade and Hot Shot are probably some of the only examples for me.

ACItEK8.png

#7 LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce

See if you can take the power of justice!

• Retired Staff
  • 2357 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 06:14 PM

In Thrust's case, he and G1 Thrust actually have the same character, Armada Thrust just actually does something with it. Combined with his appearance being more distinctive while G1  is derivative of several other characters, that makes me consider his look and appearance first.

Does G1 Thrust though? I know his bio says stuff, but I can't think of a single thing G1 Thrust ever did of note, be it the show, Marvel Comics, or IDW.
So Armada Thrust certainly wins the character bit.

Problem is I just like G1 Thrust's design better. Armada Thrusts design is certainly unique, but it doesn't do anything for me. And I say that as someone that adores Armada.

Edited by LordGigaIce, 23 December 2018 - 06:14 PM.

B3v0h0W.png

#8 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1321 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 23 December 2018 - 06:20 PM

I'd say G1 Cartoon, then whatever came next for animated series, for the most part.  The Optimus Primes and Megatrons I can differentiate per series, though.  Each has a bit of unique flavor to them

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#9 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 66835 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 06:41 PM

Does G1 Thrust though? I know his bio says stuff, but I can't think of a single thing G1 Thrust ever did of note, be it the show, Marvel Comics, or IDW.
So Armada Thrust certainly wins the character bit.

Problem is I just like G1 Thrust's design better. Armada Thrusts design is certainly unique, but it doesn't do anything for me. And I say that as someone that adores Armada.

Beast Machines Thrust is crying in the corner.

ACItEK8.png

#10 Broadside

Broadside

#HaulOfFame

• Citizen
  • 11067 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 23 December 2018 - 06:49 PM

Thrust is an interesting example, because despite the G1 guy jumping to mind by default, he's by far the least interesting version of the character. And despite that, I still feel like it's the other characters who should be renamed if they coexist.

(pallium 4 lyfe)

unknown.png

#11 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35138 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 07:00 PM

That's what I meant by Armada Thrust "actually doing something with it." It's in G1 Thrust's bio, but it's not actually part of anything he's done in fiction.

#12 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 12550 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:53 PM

tumblr_nq0p9ad6Mq1r4yt67o1_500.gif

M "Both Of Em" Sipher
The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#13 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8158 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:05 PM

My "Default" Megatron is Animated's. He has the coolest voice, was sufficiently competent and menacing and his alt mode was awesome.

Prime Megatron was cool but a bit too tangential to the Movie version for my liking.

#14 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40686 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:07 PM

obviously Sideways owns the name Tarantulas

#15 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 18124 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:08 PM

This is gonna be a real predictable thread.

#16 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9362 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:48 PM

It does usually come to G1 with the originals prominence to the character name History. But certain versions take that and run well with it. I mean I love G1 Wreck-Gar but Animated with Weird Al voicing him and the TV head just wins it for me.

Bulkhead shares between Animated and Prime for me.

Ratchet is definitely shifted to Prime these days. Grumpy old man Ratchet from Animated was good but you can't beat a performance from Jeffery Combs.

Silverbolt definitely shifts to Beast Wars for me, as I love the cheesy White Knight Bird-Dog that Scott McNeil made and to be honest most combiners from G1 I rarely pay attention to other than their combined forms.

Shockwave has to go with Prime for me since I never was a Marvel Comic reader and while I do know his G1 self from the cartoon he was just Megatrons loyal yesman guard to the Space Bridge then. Animated does come up but Prime had the dominating feel compared to the long and lanky spymaster.

Arcee is a tough one. I grew up with the Pink car who was the sweet nannybot to Daniel, and that got jacked to the psycho killer in IDW, but again I gotta give it to the Prime version as it made her a character that felt real and not a cardboard cutout.

Blitzwing... Animated hands down. I love the zany nutjob

Prime Predaking beats G1 since Prime Pred actually is a character. AND DRAGON!

But then theres the main stays that get so many iterations. Megatron has so many good ones between the original G1 cartoon tyrant, BW's smooth calculating mastermind, Animated's mix of the two, and Prime  took the mix of all that came before and was a truly Deceptive and Powerful leader.

Optimus is tough to pin down one. Most versions share the noble leader vibe in their own ways and really differentiate only in physical design most of the time. Animated's being the untested young leader of a small band was definitely the most unique.

Starscream is almost a four way tie. Classic G1 Scream is always going to be the scheming backstabber with the shrillest voice, where as Armada Scream actually had a good redemption thread, Animated was actually good comedy in his attempts, but damn Primes BlumScreamwas just the best at times.

Bee... where to start. I want the body of G1 Bee with more of the nature of Prime and Bumblebee's personality.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#17 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40686 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:52 PM

This is gonna be a real predictable thread.

That's a more impressive prophesy posted before I do my Tarantulas/Sideways schtick.

#18 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nut

• Citizen
  • 29673 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 23 December 2018 - 11:09 PM

Thrust-Vehicon.jpg

Rid8.jpg

BWRampage_Badspark.jpg

Landfill_Rollbar_crouch.jpg

20121202191959%21AniBulkheadPromoModel.j

EnerLandmineBruteMode.jpg

FamilyBusiness_Chase_salutes.jpg

KnockOut-render.jpg

Dreadwindtfu.jpg

PrimeDreadwingTVAichiPromoRender.jpg

Edited by Sabrblade, 24 December 2018 - 09:12 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#19 Telly

Telly

Needs things explained to him sometimes...

• Retired Staff
  • 8478 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 24 December 2018 - 12:41 AM

tumblr_pk87s2EtoM1w5w68qo1_540.jpg

since im using it, i hearby declare the "shockwave is everyone" thing officially dead. if it wasnt already  :p

Edited by Telly, 24 December 2018 - 12:43 AM.

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#20 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 12550 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 12:50 AM

tumblr_p5cxeiRnjS1qmnujko1_540.jpg

Later, G1 Thrust was found stuffed in a gym locker, the recipient of The Dreaded Rear Admiral.

M "In My Head The Arms Micron Vehicon Is Prime Thrust" Sipher

The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users