Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (15 October 2019 - 02:55 PM)

I got stabbed in the eyelid by a mudwasp, pulled down a tree, and then got ice cream. You know, all told: not a bad day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 October 2019 - 09:17 AM)

Burrunjor

@  Paladin : (15 October 2019 - 08:04 AM)

your mom.

@  Benbot : (15 October 2019 - 08:02 AM)

What's your favorite Paleolithic megafauna?

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:06 PM)

Together with the Rhino G1 sets, probably the most expensive DVDs I ever bought

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:01 PM)

I've still got the age-old Rhino sets

@  Telly : (14 October 2019 - 09:09 PM)

i didnt find that at any of the ones around here, so i had to settle for seasons 1 and 2 of duckman for $3

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Heck, I got the season 2/3 set for $3 (?) from a Dollar General discount bin :p

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 07:29 PM)

The series is pretty cheap on DVD, too, which at least will work internet or no. The complete series set seems to be OOP, but there's a Season 1 set as well as a combined 2 & 3 set.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 06:10 PM)

Woot! Beast wars!

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 06:08 PM)

Yay! Tubi now has the first season of Rescue Bots and the full run of Beast Wars FINALLY available.

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Just like me in a game of Civilization. Don't have gunpowder? Time for your cities to burn.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 01:51 PM)

He dubbed the peoples that saw him as bad news cannibals and savages before enslaving and wiping them out too.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 01:40 PM)

And if they had been unfriendly: he would have simply slaughtered them with diseases they couldn't fight, and technology they couldn't match until they as a people did not exist. There's something about european backgrounds that drive us to exploit.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 11:02 AM)

He described the peoples he encountered as some of the most friendly and giving in the world, so naturally, he ate all their food, enslaved them and put them to work looking for gold that did not exist, until they as a people did not exist.

@  Paladin : (14 October 2019 - 09:57 AM)

he landed by coincidence in front of long-term residents.

@  Sabrblade : (14 October 2019 - 09:55 AM)

He said the world was round-o! (He said the world was round-o!) He said it could be found-o! (He said it could be found-o!) That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo! (That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo!)

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 09:22 AM)

In the year 1492, Columbus gave us the day off skoo

@  Noideaforaname : (14 October 2019 - 08:59 AM)

How often do people actually celebrate Columbus or the Pilgrims? Usually it just feels like celebrating the first break in the school year and a nice dinner with the family.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 08:29 AM)

You've got like two more weeks until the american thanksgiving. Canadian thanksgiving is literally a harvest festival.

@  CVReynolds : (14 October 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Hey, everyone. Come together to enjoy this national holiday made to celebrate a mass-murderer who never set foot in the USA. What fun!

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 07:25 AM)

that's perfect!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (14 October 2019 - 02:22 AM)

A school-bus combiner called Valedictorion.

@  TriBlurr : (13 October 2019 - 12:16 AM)

Honor-Roll

@  Arazyr : (11 October 2019 - 08:18 AM)

I like that one.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Oh, how about Dropout?

@  Pinkcolliebot : (09 October 2019 - 07:47 PM)

Hey Everyone I'm beginning to put together The TF Roll Out Short Hot Rod's Presentation!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 02:35 PM)

Truant.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 October 2019 - 12:26 PM)

Haslab Unicron may change the direction of Cyberverse or the netflix series.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 October 2019 - 11:31 AM)

Bluecheesewagon

@  Benbot : (09 October 2019 - 07:09 AM)

Those are too friendly--what if he was a Decepticon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (08 October 2019 - 07:23 PM)

Cheesewagon

@  Dekafox : (08 October 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Bus-Top has a very GoBot vibe

@  Bass X0 : (08 October 2019 - 10:51 AM)

I actually never heard of the name Megalodon until recently.

@  Noideaforaname : (08 October 2019 - 09:44 AM)

Bus-Top, Omnibus, Cerebus, Busicus, Busicon

@  unluckiness : (08 October 2019 - 09:32 AM)

Otto

@  unluckiness : (08 October 2019 - 09:32 AM)

Frizzle

@  Dekafox : (08 October 2019 - 09:10 AM)

Crankshaft?

@  Benbot : (08 October 2019 - 08:55 AM)

What's a good name for a school bus Transformer?

@  lastmaximal : (08 October 2019 - 12:57 AM)

Huh. There's a neat name for Beast Hunters Sharkticon Megs.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 October 2019 - 11:44 AM)

It's a submarine, we swear!

@  Otaku : (07 October 2019 - 11:26 AM)

@Bass X0 Letting myself comment to say "That's a good one!" and ask "Would a megalodon be a good fit for Megatron?"

@  Benbot : (07 October 2019 - 07:59 AM)

Ohhh good one

@  Bass X0 : (07 October 2019 - 07:39 AM)

I now want a Decepticon shark called Megalotron.

@  TriBlurr : (06 October 2019 - 05:47 PM)

Gives them time to screw up the color of his hands. :p

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 October 2019 - 12:33 PM)

His bulk is too great to teleport across such distances.

@  Sabrblade : (06 October 2019 - 11:09 AM)

Cuz it'll take that long to mass produce.

@  Darth Gonzo : (06 October 2019 - 10:47 AM)

Why is Unicron coming in 2021 and not 2020?

@  wonko the sane? : (06 October 2019 - 06:47 AM)

Shut up rattrap.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (05 October 2019 - 11:58 PM)

We're all gonna die!

Photo
- - - - -

Mulan - live-action Disney remake in theaters 27 March 2020

32 replies to this topic

#1 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9815 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:51 AM

We don't seem to have a thread for the upcoming live-action Mulan film yet, so here is one. Details thus far:

• originally scheduled for release in theaters 2 November 2018, currently scheduled for 27 March 2020
  • helmed by Kiwi director Niki Caro of Whale Rider and The Zookeeper's Wife
  • screenplay by Elizabeth Martin, Lauren Hynek, and Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver of Rise of the Planet of the Apes
  • principal production commended 13 August 2018 in China and New Zealand
  • budget above $100 million USD

The cast includes:

• Liu Yifei (刘亦菲 / 劉亦菲) as Hua Mulan (花木蘭 / 花木兰)
  • Yoson An (安柚鑫) as Chen Honghui (陳洪輝 / 陈洪辉), the new version of Li Shang
  • Donnie Yen (甄子丹) as Commander Tung (唐將軍 / 唐将军), a new character in this version, the leader of the Imperial Army and mentor to Mulan
  • Jet Li (李連杰 / 李连杰) as the Emperor of China
  • Gong Li (鞏俐 / 巩俐) as Xian Lang (仙狼), a new character in this version, an evil witch who allies with the Huns
  • Jason Scott Lee (李截) as Bori Khan, the new version of Shan Yu
  • Ron Yuan (袁文忠) as Sergeant Qiang, a new character in this version, the second-in-command to Commander Tung
  • Jimmy Wong as Ling
  • Doua Moua as Po
  • Chen Tang as Yao
  • Tzi Ma (馬泰 / 马泰) as Hua Zhou, father of Hua Mulan
  • Xana Tang as Hua Xiu (花秀), a new character in this version, sister of Hua Mulan
  • Utkarsh Ambudkar as Skath, a new character in this version, a con artist and friend of Ramtish
  • Chum Ehelepola as Ramtish, a new character in this version, a con artist and friend of Skath
  • Rosalind Chao (趙家玲 / 赵家玲), Cheng Pei-pei (鄭佩佩 / 郑佩佩), and Nelson Lee also star
  • Reportedly, Mushu will appear

https://www.hollywoo...director-975869

https://www.hollywoo...ds-star-1061585

https://www.hollywoo...-jet-li-1101994

https://www.hollywoo...n-movie-1116949

Edited by SHIELD Agent 47, 17 December 2018 - 04:22 AM.

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#2 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22766 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:11 AM

Any reason for the name changes?

#3 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9815 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:15 AM

Any reason for the name changes?

I have been unable to find anything explaining that, beyond fans pointing out that this version is evidently a complete rewrite of the 1998 animated film. The term "remake" may not do justice to the magnitude of changes that have been made.

Edited by SHIELD Agent 47, 17 December 2018 - 04:22 AM.

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#4 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Dark Knight is Digivolving!

• Staff
  • 13539 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:36 AM

Yeah, my first reaction on reading all these 'new character created for the film' characters is welll...

This sure is more of a re9nvention of Mulan, rather than an adaptation. Not sure what to make of it.

fslookup.jpg

#5 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 12300 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:54 AM

I'm sure it'll be just as good as all the previous live-action remakes of Disney Animated Canon features.

Spoiler

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#6 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14606 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:28 AM

I'm sure it'll be just as good as all the previous live-action remakes of Disney Animated Canon features...

which is to say, hugging TERRIBLE while simultaneously GUARANTEED to rake in over a billion dollars.

C'mon now, no reason to hide an unpopular opinion in a spoiler tag. Not a single one of them have been "hugging TERRIBLE". IMO they've been at the worst watchable. Sure, some have been lacking the magic of the originals, but I'd go out on a limb and say that the "Jungle Book" expanded on the original in all the ways it could and made for an overall better film, and from what we saw at CinemaCon of "Dumbo", "Aladdin" and "Lion King" they've got some real heavy hitters still waiting in the wings.

Yep.

#7 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28811 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:52 AM

I'm sure it'll be just as good as all the previous live-action remakes of Disney Animated Canon features...

which is to say, hugging TERRIBLE while simultaneously GUARANTEED to rake in over a billion dollars.

C'mon now, no reason to hide an unpopular opinion in a spoiler tag. Not a single one of them have been "hugging TERRIBLE". IMO they've been at the worst watchable. Sure, some have been lacking the magic of the originals, but I'd go out on a limb and say that the "Jungle Book" expanded on the original in all the ways it could and made for an overall better film, and from what we saw at CinemaCon of "Dumbo", "Aladdin" and "Lion King" they've got some real heavy hitters still waiting in the wings.

And Cinderella made some really good and/or interesting changes for both the stepmother and the prince (but the 1997 one is still the very best version, fight me!)

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#8 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14606 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 10:02 AM

And Cinderella made some really good and/or interesting changes for both the stepmother and the prince (but the 1997 one is still the very best version, fight me!)

Love the Rogers & Hammerstein Broadway show. "In my own little corner in my own little chair, I can be whatever I want to be..." Would have loved to see Disney blend more of that into the remake.

Yep.

#9 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28811 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 10:14 AM

Love the Rogers & Hammerstein Broadway show. "In my own little corner in my own little chair, I can be whatever I want to be..." Would have loved to see Disney blend more of that into the remake.

Jason Alexander just owns that movie. He gets all the best lines and the best musical number.

"You know, I do wish that there was something between us... A continent." :D

Edited by Sabrblade, 17 December 2018 - 10:15 AM.

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#10 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 12300 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:09 AM

First trailer- 

https://twitter.com/...898346268348417

They've also cut Mushu AND all the songs. 

https://movieweb.com...no-songs-mushu/

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#11 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1657 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:26 AM

Never saw the original, so...

It doesn't look awful?

~Marduk

#12 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 13539 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:30 AM

And the possibility of a Phoenix instead of Mushu. Or, Mushu reinvented As a Phoenix.

All these changes they're making could work to their advantage and create a new take on Mulan that's just as good as the original. Or, this new take could just end up as a heavily diluted Mulan, attempted to be all 'gritty and grounded'.

The fact that all the songs will either be ditched, or just intrumentals versions within the score itself, does kinda disappoint me.

fslookup.jpg

#13 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28811 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:45 AM

I kinda like the sound of this.

To me, the live action remakes that have kept the songs of the original animated versions felt like the songs restricted them from really becoming their own things, making them instead just be lesser versions of the originals.

While good, the songs of the animated versions were so integral to the specifics of those movies' narratives that the new movies that retained them were forced to maintain as much of the original movies' contexts in order for those songs to still make some degree of sense.

By excising the songs of the original, this allows the new movie more creative freedom to create new context for its own version of the story, no longer needing to make sure everything lines up with the same context as the original in order for the songs to still fit.

Of all these live action remakes we've gotten so far, nixing the songs for the betterment of the film's reconstructed narrative has worked best for the live action remake of Cinderella, as it enabled some much needed fleshing out and character exploration for the likes of both the prince and the stepmother.

And, frankly, I'm perfectly fine with them nixing Mushu for a phoenix. After all, the original was just a shameless attempt at trying recapture what Robin Williams had done before with Genie in Aladdin, with Disney failing to realize that the reason Genie worked in the first place was because of Williams himself, not because of the character's anachronistic pop culture references or 20th Century sense of humor.

Edited by Sabrblade, 07 July 2019 - 11:48 AM.

#14 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3506 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:34 PM

I've seen the trailer, I'm not impressed, I never seen the original animated movie but it never really intersted me and this doesn't really interst me either, its a easy pass.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#15 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65807 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 07 July 2019 - 04:05 PM

Didn't make me think of Mulan when watching it. I really like the original, but this could be good too.

ACItEK8.png

#16 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7238 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 06:38 PM

I think if you were going to drop the songs from a Disney film this is a jolly good choice (TLK is probably #2). 

I wouldn't really want to lose Hakuna Matata or I'll Make A Man Out Of You, but I wouldn't particularly miss any other of the others. I always felt like the songs in Mulan felt kind of half-hearted and tacked-on. It's no BatB or Aladdin or Hunchback even. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#17 tec

tec

Costume Goals

• Supporter
  • 31041 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:07 PM

This looks great this is the first live action from 90s cartoon that I wanna see

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#18 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 13539 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:03 AM

That trailer, now i've watched it, gives my some hope for this being quite good.

We shall see.

fslookup.jpg

#19 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11294 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:29 AM

Interesting that they seem to be going for Wuxia; that's a genre Disney hasn't touched before.

#20 unluckiness

unluckiness

curry on rice

• Citizen
  • 19677 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:21 PM

This looks like a blatant grab at those sweet sweet Chinabucks. looks like the dozens and dozens of generic Three Kingdoms war movies out there

xOyvpt9.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users