Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  MEDdMI : (19 April 2019 - 09:21 PM)

oof, yikes. Good luck.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2019 - 09:18 PM)

We're in the middle of a kitchen reno and NOTHING will be done until tuesday. I could beat a four day weekend with a hammer right now if it meant I could use my stove again.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Can't beat 4 day weekends either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I prefer later shifts myself, but my 3 day weekend shift isn't bad. Nice to work without those administration busy bodies poking around.

@  Nevermore : (19 April 2019 - 04:12 AM)

Yeah, traffic is a plus as well. Rarely got any trouble getting to work on late shift (even with the neverending construction site on the highway), and when my shift is over, there's hardly any traffic at all anymore.

@  MEDdMI : (18 April 2019 - 06:27 PM)

while I don't have weekends consistently off, working 2nd shift isn't so bad. I'm more likely to do stuff before work than after (when I'm already tired). Plus no rush hour traffic

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 April 2019 - 05:03 PM)

Switching shifts constantly is never good for one's health. There was a time when I worked overnights steady for about 2 years; did wonders for my health, as well

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Don't miss early shift (and especially switching back and forth every two weeks) a bit.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Man, permanent late shift really has done wonders for my overal well-being. Never having to get up early for work, staying up late, weekends off... a ot of my coworkers think I'm crazy, but late shift is really my preferred shift.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:33 PM)

(My total lack of sleep on that day might have contributed, though.)

At noon, it was warm.

On Monday, we went on strike early in the morning, I was also wearing to jackets and gloves and my toes and fingers were freezing.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 April 2019 - 04:31 PM)

Nope, right now my days are doing that. Frigid at night (Well, just below zero, but still.) and warm enough to be always be ill prepared during the day.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Today it's so warm I had to take a shower to wash off the sweat after a lengthy bike trip.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

This past Friday I was wearing two jackets and winter gloves outside and took a hot bath when I returned home.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

Is "April weather" an issue in other countries as well, or is that specifically a German phenomenon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Well, when you understand the history of the area it make sense. It's basically a series of countries buying the place, moving in, saying "we rule you people now", and the locals shrugging and responding, "okay, you have fun with that".

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2019 - 07:58 AM)

When did we all turn into Henry Higgins?

@  unluckiness : (16 April 2019 - 03:16 AM)

To be fair, most Americans can't get the hang of English, so I can understand why.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:15 AM)

(And yeah, Calliope is a Greek muse, not French, but the street was named BY the French when they took over.)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:10 AM)

In New Orleans there's a bunch of streets with French names that are pronounced by locals with a more English emphasis, for example "Calliope Street" is pronounced "CAL-lee-ope".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 11:56 PM)

I figured as much for Canadians.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 11:37 PM)

hm; whenever I've heard people talk about the school they said it the same way as the cathedral...but I guess that's in Canada, so they're probably more familiar with the cathedral than the school

@  Dracula : (15 April 2019 - 11:11 PM)

There's plenty of place names in the US like that. Around here we have an "el doh-RAY-doh," and up north there's a Cairo that's pronounced "kay-roh"

@  RichardT1977 : (15 April 2019 - 09:56 PM)

Yeah, the common pronunciation of the University is probably the reason most Americans don't pronounce the Cathedral name correctly.

@  Arazyr : (15 April 2019 - 08:03 PM)

That's my understanding of how the two are supposed to be pronounced as well.

@  Echowarrior : (15 April 2019 - 07:42 PM)

When I'm talking about the cathedral, I say "noh-treh dahme". When I talk about the university, I say "noh-ter dayme". I don't see a problem with that.

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 06:26 PM)

guessing "Hunchback" just got bumped WAY down the list for Disney's live-action remakes...

@  Patch : (15 April 2019 - 05:56 PM)

We all pronounce it wrong, so no one knows enough to care.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 05:40 PM)

It'd be odd for most Americans not to know how to pronounce Notre Dame, considering they have a University with the same name that's the subject of a relatively popular film based around a sport most Americans love

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Three or four more hours will be needed to contain the fire.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Update from France 24: the Paris Fire Brigade says two towers and the main structure of the cathedral have been saved from complete destruction.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:57 PM)

One does not have to speak French to know that rhyming with "voter name" is off the mark.

@  Locoman : (15 April 2019 - 03:51 PM)

Really? It's an international tragedy and you're zeroing in on the people who maybe don't speak French?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:44 PM)

@Tm_Silverclaw I just read on BBC News that the cause is not yet clear, but officials suspect the fire could be linked to renovation work.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:42 PM)

Oh boy, here we go with the U.S.-American newscasters who can't pronounce "Notre Dame" correctly.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 April 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Too soon to say.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 April 2019 - 03:20 PM)

Do we know if it was an attack? Arson? Or just bad wiring?

@  Nevermore : (15 April 2019 - 02:10 PM)

Religion is dead?

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 02:01 PM)

major cathedral burning down on Holy Week is some kind of metaphor.

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:54 PM)

Hard to believe a wonder of the world could just be wiped out so easily. Hopefully they can still save it

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Well, Notre Dame is burning down

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 10:05 AM)

yikes I thought the site was going to be down for a while

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:07 PM)

So, time for another strike. No sleep for me tonight. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:04 PM)

Think Game of Thrones "light" meets Cabaret and you get the idea.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:03 PM)

Kinda sorta, just with more intrigue, conspiracy, depravity, crime and violence.

@  RichardT1977 : (14 April 2019 - 06:37 PM)

So it's like a prequel to Cabaret?

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 04:02 PM)

And man, characters are smoking literally EVERYWHERE.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 03:27 PM)

Also, full frontal male nudity. (There's been quite a bit of female nudity since episode 1.)

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 03:26 PM)

Episode 6, and Hitler is randomly name-checked.

Photo

Avengers: Endgame - fourth Avengers movie

263 replies to this topic

#61 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32575 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:31 AM

If they were all gone, I'd expect Gamora to have heard about it. I'm going to write off the Nova-corp record as a possible continuity blip, and move on.
“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#62 Rust

Rust

all that was real is left behind

• Supporter
  • 45231 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:03 PM

I don't think it needs to be a continuity blip, just a wink to those paying attention. Thanos considers what he did to Gamora's world good and right...when it likely is what resulted in the other half of the population dying off. Thanos is a unhinged maniac utterly convinced of his own solutions he fails to see how utterly monstrous they are.

In case anyone needed more of a clue beyond the fact for all his talk about culling the universe for its own good, he himself was always immune to the effects of his actions (Right down to using the stones to heal the mortal wound Thor gave him).

That's not even talking about his hypocrisy with the Dwarves that built the Gauntlet. 300 souls aboard...leaves one alive. Thanos' math is screwy.

Edited by Rust, 12 December 2018 - 05:04 PM.

Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know
So tell me do you wanna go?

#63 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6090 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:45 PM

James Gunn said it was a straight-up retcon -- when he was developing Gamora's backstory for this one, he decided that in service to the plot, he had to contradict the barely-noticed reference to her species from GOTG. I think we're supposed to take Thanos at his word about the planet's current status.
ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#64 Glenn

Glenn

The fault in our Stars(Lord)

• Supporter
  • 10344 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:40 PM

Which is weird.. since the barely noticed reference is a core part of her comic backstory.

#65 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32575 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:37 PM

It is, but the slaughter was, I believe, carried out by the Badoon.
“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#66 Glenn

Glenn

The fault in our Stars(Lord)

• Supporter
  • 10344 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 13 December 2018 - 03:54 PM

indeed it was.

#67 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45231 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:48 AM

Nah. The MCU is good about vaguely keeping their films to the source material when it comes to story beats. While Thanos' fate is up in the air, it's pretty clear that just like the Gauntlet storyline Nebula's going to end up with the Gauntlet in the end. Adam Warlock was set up in GotG2, but I really question whether or not they can pull off that guy as guardian of the stones within a single two and a half to three hour film. So for sake of argument, I see Nebula being the Adam Warlock of the film ultimately and heading off to live in solitude with the soul of Gamora to keep her company.

There's also the fact Zoe Saldana (the actress who plays Gamora) is Neytiri in James Cameron's Avatar sequels and is presently filming those (and they're doing four of them back to back), so it's likely Gamora's fate in Infinity War is going to stand.

Chances are also very high Iron Man, and possibly all the original Avengers, end up biting it. It's not by circumstance that the ones left were the original five and none of them are getting any younger and in the case of Iron Man, getting any weaker. Iron Man was effectively a Green Lantern last film with an armor that could do anything (He survived being hit by a MOON with nanobots, when only a few years ago his briefcase armor was trashed by Dynamo's whips). Keeping him at his present tech level in the MCU would pose a lot of challenges since they haven't had an "Armor Wars" event that gets his level of tech into the hands of his opponents. Heck. Ghost had to be a villain for Ant-Man and Wasp because of that power gap. Only two that would exist in the MCU that could match Tony right now would be the real Mandarin (Who has been hinted at and I'd love to see Andy Lau play) and Zeke Stane (Son of Obadiah).

Plus, his death and/or the deaths of the other original Avengers would be a fitting "passing the torch" for the MCU to the newer generation of heroes that would arise in the absent of the Avengers. Namely Disney's re-acquisition to the rights to the Fantastic Four and X-Men.

Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know

#68 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3844 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:02 AM

It's actually just two hours of Korg and Thanos throwing down.

#69 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10119 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:53 AM

I don't think that all of the original Avengers will perish, but I strongly suspect that Steve Rogers might bite the big one.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#70 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32575 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:08 PM

It's actually just two hours of Korg and Thanos throwing down.

While the Avengers eat popcorn...and schwarma.

#71 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 7749 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 10:46 PM

shouldnt this be in the other thread we already have for endgame discussion?

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#72 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6765 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 10:55 PM

Naughty spambot's nonsense immortalised here so that the lovely bunch who kindly responded to it don't have their effort wasted.

Instead of all or one of the avengers beating thanos by brute force, time travel or getting their own infinity gauntlet, I predict Avengers Endgane would end with thanos choosing to reverse the snap. During the whole movie, the Avengers are going to try to do their thing to beat Thanos or reverse the snap but it's going to fail. It'll ultimately be one or the core Avengers convincing thanos he was wrong or maybe Thanos talking to Gamora or the dead ultimately choosing to reverse the snap or 'some solution'. Thanos was humanised and portrayed as a sympathetic/ tragic protagonist in Infinity War he was the focus of the entire movie it wouldn't make sense for him be the big bad villain then just die to the Avengers in a fist fight. It would also be slightly underwhelming if Thor or Captain Marvel killed Thanos in the final battle and it wouldn't measure up to Infinity War. What better ending to the arc of Thanos if he chooses to reverse the snap or comply with whatever the solution the Avengers came up with. While he wouldn't be a hero, his character arc would be similar to Darth Vader in the OT. I don't know precisely what the solution/plan of the Avengers are but I feel like this would be the most powerful way to end Avengers Endgame. Instead of invoking cosmic beings such as eternity, or complex ideas with the quantum realm and antman which would take a while for the regular audience to understand, it's much more simpler and powerful for Thanos to realize his wrongs and reverse the snap. The simple way is sometimes much more powerful than a complex idea which would be awesome in a comic book or TV series but not so much in a 2 hour movie. Keeping Thanks alive would also allow them to potentially set up the Infinity Watch and bring back Thanos as a hero, villian or neutral character in the future.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#73 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 7749 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:42 AM

Damn spambots!

#74 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45231 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:46 AM

I'm surprised really, since that Spambot was less...spambotty...then before. Damn Chatbot AIs.

#75 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6765 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:26 PM

I may have been a bit overzealous, but I'm always suspicious of first posts. And who signs up to a TF forum to post about Avengers, but doesn't care enough about Avengers to have found the existing thread?

WsuGTl1.jpg

#76 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32575 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:25 PM

Any ending other than the one that ends with Thanos being defeated by choosing hostess fruit pies over The Infinity Gauntlet will be a major disappointment.

Addendum: Thanos being defeated by Spider-Man, Hellcat, and some little kid with a dumb hat, and then being carted away by regular beat-cops is an acceptable substitute. Said beat-cops being played by Peter Weller and Ernie Hudson.

Edited by CORVUS, 16 December 2018 - 10:28 PM.

#77 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 27434 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 11:09 PM

Addendum: Thanos being defeated by Spider-Man, Hellcat,

Wouldn't mind seeing Trish move up into the films from Netflix, myself.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#78 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28126 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 05:58 AM

Addendum: Thanos being defeated by Spider-Man, Hellcat, and some little kid with a dumb hat

I am those last 2.

I want to be the first one.

#79 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 7749 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 04:21 AM

Watching infinity war again, and i noticed theres a mold/pattern/prototype of another gauntlet just sitting on nidavellir. Eitri is still alive (maybe). If they can fix the forge then they can have their own gauntlet...

Edited by Telly, 24 December 2018 - 04:33 AM.

#80 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45231 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 06:17 AM

I'm not sure Thor really wants to go through holding that portal open again.

Also the Gauntlet is useless without the Stones. The Gauntlet just allows the wearer to safely harness the power of them and use them in tandem with each other. (As both the Tesseract and Power Stone both had adverse effects on the wielders when held without protection).

But fun thing about the Tesseract/Cosmic Cube. People are still confused as to why Red Skull is suddenly the guardian of the Soul Stone when the Tesseract shot him into space. The Cube grants the desires of the wielder. Skull wanted to be the one who controlled the power of the stones. The Tesseract granted his wish...after a fashion.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users