Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 July 2019 - 04:42 PM)

For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little bank account....

@  Bass X0 : (23 July 2019 - 03:50 PM)

No... I accept your cookies! I... ACCEPT.. THEM...

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 July 2019 - 02:48 PM)

I don't think that's the case in Canada. Bank account debits from outside parties need to be pre-authorized at your branch or via online banking.

@  Benbot : (23 July 2019 - 10:04 AM)

That does sound like fun.

@  Dekafox : (23 July 2019 - 09:35 AM)

Fun note: in the US(at least), by default if someone has your routing number and account number off a check, they can pull as much money out as they want with nothing you can do about it until after the fact.

@  Paladin : (23 July 2019 - 07:23 AM)

anything burns if it gets hot enough.

@  Benbot : (23 July 2019 - 07:12 AM)

That's why you should keep your under-the-bed money in gold and silver--that won't burn!

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 July 2019 - 05:34 AM)

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20171003-proof-that-people-have-always-complained-about-young-adults

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 July 2019 - 02:24 AM)

Disparaging the youth has been a pastime for thousands of years. Pretty much every society we have writing from has some version of "kids these days" at some point.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 July 2019 - 02:21 AM)

Numfar! dance of pain.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 July 2019 - 01:49 AM)

If the USA vanished from Earth prior to millennials (later to be joined by Generation Z) coming of age, would the global community have the same magnitude of disparaging upon youths as a pastime because old boomers are insecure about their inability to handle new technology?

@  Ashley : (23 July 2019 - 12:02 AM)

This wasn't that, this was a "we don't trust banks!" thing

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 11:57 PM)

Well I know when I first got my back pay for disability, some of the paperwork said I couldn't have so much in the bank after 30 days...so I had to take out a huge chunk of cash.

@  Ashley : (22 July 2019 - 11:53 PM)

I know a family who lost thousands of dollars in a house fire because they were literally keeping it under the bed. Don't underestimate the USA's luddism.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 10:39 PM)

The US is filled with people LITERALLY proud of their ignorance of tech. Don't expect the US to be a major power in the next 30 years.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 10:25 PM)

Most people in Australia that I've heard of use electronic transactions for rent (and similar things). I mean, doubtless there are some people who use cash for various reasons of varying levels of ethics, but most require electronic transfers.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:22 PM)

But I don't understand Paladin's premise of "allowing the landlord access to one's bank account". I'm pretty sure I have acquaintances who pay monthly by check or automated bank transfer.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:15 PM)

I know many lower-end restaurants in the USA take cash only as a probable method of tax evasion. Perhaps that is why some landlords do as well. Alternatively, such people demand cash upfront because they have thin profit margins or whatever and are too afraid of spending the time and effort to pursue someone whose check or electronic payment bounced.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:14 PM)

@Nevermore The USA is a place where lots of people can proliferate at being technologically behind. e.g. almost no one accepts or pays by contactless yet despite the inherent security of the process. And by having a population of over 300 million we can generate large quantities of believers in the Luddite fallacy and such.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:59 PM)

I pay by credit card whenever possible for the rewards/points, but utilities don't usually allow that so those I just pay through the online bill payment feature rather than mess around with pre-authorizations

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:57 PM)

Most monthly or whatever payments are done electronically around here, I think. Mine certainly are. Whether by pre-authorized debit, an e-transfer (transfer from one bank account to another), or your bank's online bill payment system/database

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:04 PM)

If I overpaid, it may take several months for them to pay me back the difference. If I underpaid, they're very quick with demanding the difference.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:03 PM)

Meanwhile, I can write a tax report, but since the employer already deduced the standard legal taxes from my monthly payment, the tax report is also mostly just to let the tax authority determine if I underpaid or overpaid.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:02 PM)

Based on my average costs for the year, they will then calculate the estimated monthly costs for the upcoming year.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:01 PM)

At the end of the year, the power company will send me an annual invoice which shows if I overpaid or underpaid. If I overpaid, the difference may just be deduced from my December bill.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

I also pay my monthly gas and electricity bills that way.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

It's funny. Here in Germany, many people still pay cash in stores, restaurants etc. (the staff usually asks "cash or wireless?"), but many regular payments are handled wirelessly and automatically.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Around the same time, I get sent a slip from payroll that lists my gross income, all the deductions and the net income, i.e. the final transaction sum.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:56 PM)

My monthly payment from my employer is wirelessly transferred to my bank account. Taxes, health insurance, unemployment insurance and social security fees are calculated by the payroll department, handled by the employer, and I just get paid the rest after taxes and everything.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

yes. you're assuming US employers would pay fairly & take fairly.

@  Telly : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

we dont get paid on a monthly basis, if thats what you mean. i myself get paid every 2 weeks. some are every week. and if im telling you something you already know, just ignore me...

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:54 PM)

Which I assume doesn't work that way in the US either?

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:53 PM)

That way you may time the transaction with your monthly payment from your employer.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:52 PM)

You don't need to give the landlord access to anything. You go to your bank, show the clerk your bank account card, give them the landlord's bank details, tell them the exact amount of the rent and which day of the month the transaction should happen, sign the order, and you're done.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:49 PM)

most Americans wouldn't trust a landlord with access to their bank account.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Do people in other countries really still pay their landlords in cash? Here in Germany, it's very common to have the payment as an automated bank transaction on a set day of the month, so if the payment is late, it's either the bank's fault, or there's not enough money on the bank account.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 05:46 PM)

meanwhile some of us are trying to calculate if they'll have a spare forty bucks at the end of the week for some food...

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 07:20 AM)

At least I can see where the 600 US bucks is going in this case. The MP line looks more ridiculous by the day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 July 2019 - 07:09 AM)

It's ridiculous. I'll stick to Armadacron

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 06:13 AM)

If anything, shipping is going to make the actual toy's price look affordable.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 02:28 AM)

Its like, $550 ish in US money (so probably about $800 for my Australian self) and is taller than TR Fort Max. He's gonna be a hefty boy.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 July 2019 - 10:05 PM)

Damn, that Unicron looks big. Not gonna be cheap

@  wonko the sane? : (21 July 2019 - 09:09 PM)

"By the way, your landlord called. Something about being late with the rent."

@  Nevermore : (21 July 2019 - 04:09 PM)

"Hi there, I'm Unicron. Your husband ordered me."

@  unluckiness : (21 July 2019 - 09:04 AM)

"Perhaps I misjudged you. Proceed on your way to the couch."

@  Donocropolis : (21 July 2019 - 07:33 AM)

I'm just afraid of what my wife would do to me if it showed up at our door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 July 2019 - 01:23 AM)

Giant Robot Satan has that effect on people.

@  Ashley : (21 July 2019 - 12:31 AM)

So, I might not be able to get Hasbro Pulse Unicron because my mother is afraid of it

@  Pennpenn : (20 July 2019 - 09:58 PM)

But that's neither here nor there.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

Photo

Avengers: Endgame - fourth Avengers movie

690 replies to this topic

#561 tec

tec

My love to KyoAni

• Supporter
  • 30600 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:37 PM

Whew finally seen Avengers took forever for the the movie traffic to slow down enough for me to get good seats did pretty good at not being spoiled to

I cheered I clapped I laughed I cried all the things you want from a great film delivered

9.8/10

Edited by tec, 20 May 2019 - 09:58 PM.

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#562 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8343 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:16 AM

200million to go!

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#563 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34230 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:39 PM

A busted travel plan meant my wife and I got to go to Endgame last night, me for the second, her for the first. Something that I didnt notice the first time, because I was preloaded by someone telling me Cap ended up in 1970, is that he didnt. 1940s cars drove by outside. He went back to 1945 and got the dance just like he was supposed to. But that makes him about 116 sitting on that bench.

Yeah, it wouldn't have made any sense to go to the 1970's to live. Since Peggy would have had 25 years to get married by then.

But he knows that she didn’t, right? He is about a dozen years older than he was the first time he got to 1945. But maybe Peggy was a bit older than him to start with.

#564 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 7959 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:45 PM

If i were him, id go back to as early as i could to have more time with her. He probly showed up the day after he crashed the plane
When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#565 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 11954 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:49 PM

Lord I hope this is on the home release...

Kevin Feige has confirmed that they have done a special shoot of Luis recapping the entire 10-year history of the MCU. Wizard World on Twitter

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#566 tec

tec

My love to KyoAni

• Supporter
  • 30600 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:10 PM

And all the B Roll of Stan that Fige has

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#567 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34230 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:10 PM

Putting all of the girls in one charge is a neat visual, but it makes me groan a little. It means in the middle of a battle like that, someone said, “Hey, why don’t we get all of the girls together for something?”

#568 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1200 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:19 PM

The one thing that really "bugged" me was Wasp being there...  Do people actually believe that Scott could have got it set up enough himself?  He is not dumb, but she is definitely the technical brains of the duo.

That, and Captain Marvel should have been fine alone if she had just flew straight through everything.  I mean, she just did it to a giant ship.  Twice.

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#569 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 45768 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:03 AM

Putting all of the girls in one charge is a neat visual, but it makes me groan a little. It means in the middle of a battle like that, someone said, “Hey, why don’t we get all of the girls together for something?”

I found it no more ridiculous than Spider-Man, clutching an Infinity Gauntlet, flying through the battlefield by webbing onto a thrown Miljonir.

#570 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10600 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:40 AM

The one thing that really "bugged" me was Wasp being there...  Do people actually believe that Scott could have got it set up enough himself?  He is not dumb, but she is definitely the technical brains of the duo.

That, and Captain Marvel should have been fine alone if she had just flew straight through everything.  I mean, she just did it to a giant ship.  Twice.

I'm not sure I'm following you on the first part.

But Captain marvel was not fine alone because we can see Thanos using one of the stones against her.

#571 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 45768 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:56 AM

That Wasp should have been at the van getting it set up. Despite the fact we see the Van was already set up and Wasp's priority was getting the Gauntlet to it (Before it got blowed up).

#572 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34230 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:45 PM

Putting all of the girls in one charge is a neat visual, but it makes me groan a little. It means in the middle of a battle like that, someone said, Hey, why dont we get all of the girls together for something?

I found it no more ridiculous than Spider-Man, clutching an Infinity Gauntlet, flying through the battlefield by webbing onto a thrown Miljonir.
That WAS a kooky superhero action sequence. But someone rounding up all the girls from wherever they are so they could do that together despite the chaos going on is bizarre. We have some very powerful women here and I get it that they want to showcase that, but I think they overplayed the hand. The greatness of 2012 Avengers that has stood for me was that they set up an end battle where the super and the skilled could all be useful doing what they were good at. When you pull all of these ladies together because they are ladies, you drop that. I would have much preferred they spent the same length of time showing what each one was doing wherever they were. You could even tie it together with Captain Marvel passing them all as she moved the gauntlet. It would be a strained coincidence, but of the variety we are accustomed to. It wouldnt mean that someone was taking the time to actually form logistics based on inappropriate whims. Edit - And it would leave Hope fixing the van like she should.

Edited by Axaday, 23 May 2019 - 01:46 PM.

#573 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17083 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:51 PM

Why the heck do you think they would need a party planner to join up on the battlefield?

-ZacWilliam, a couple happen to be fighting together, team up. Another couple see that group and run up. Now they're a big enough group for more to fly in and form on. Seems perfectly natural and normal to me.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#574 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 45768 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:56 PM

Putting all of the girls in one charge is a neat visual, but it makes me groan a little. It means in the middle of a battle like that, someone said, Hey, why dont we get all of the girls together for something?

That WAS a kooky superhero action sequence. But someone rounding up all the girls from wherever they are so they could do that together despite the chaos going on is bizarre.

Not really. It was pretty standard comic climax splash page, in my opinion.

#575 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65142 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:48 PM

Yeah, the scene seemed a little too forced to me.  I liked seeing them all together, but it seemed a bit off or something.  I like Axaday’s suggestion.

ACItEK8.png

#576 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10600 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:58 PM

But that's actually something you might see in a comic.

#577 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17083 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:05 PM

So are a bunch of lady heroes teaming up.

ZacWilliam, seriously though if it had been a bunch of the guys teaming up in a big group would anyone even have noticed? There's absolutely nothing odder about the girls doing that than there would have been with a group of all boys.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#578 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10600 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:11 PM

Oops, didn’t mean to imply one was more likely than the other..

#579 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8343 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:23 AM

Why the heck do you think they would need a party planner to join up on the battlefield?

-ZacWilliam, a couple happen to be fighting together, team up. Another couple see that group and run up. Now they're a big enough group for more to fly in and form on. Seems perfectly natural and normal to me.

I suddenly imagined the conversation like two ladies were going,

hey, did you see Thor? What happened to him?
I dunno, I can dig it. But let's ask Valkyrie.
He got depressed but I think he's doing better but did you hear about two Captain America's fighting each other?
Nebula says he used the B-word.
Yeah, I can confirm. What to hear the recording?
You automatically record everything you hear? Do you have info on Thanos?
Yes, Mrs. Stark.
Oh, do you have details on the other green guy? The invisible one? Is he related to Hulk?
I have touched his mind several times and he is a gentle soul.
Do tell. I would ask him about his knives of alien metal and how it compares to Wakandan steel.
Speaking of, Wasp, when your tech shrinks, does it count as nano?
I'm not sure but your, what's it called, kimora beads? They're fantastic!
I don't suppose you kept a copy of the Vision's brain patterns, please?
As a matter of fact, we stored the database! We can rebuild his body but we need magical lightning and an infinity stone to power it.
Thor can provide the lightning.
And Captain Marvel has a power signature of an infinity stone, albeit the tessaract. Hey Carol!
Hey, is the animal themed guy cute under his mask?
Forget it, he's engaged
I mean the other one. The one I helped.
OMG, he's underaged!
I didn't know!

Well, that got away from me, haha.

Also, there's an article saying Endgame is slowing down but c'mon, Far from Home will bring the interest back and it'll get the last 150million to beat Avatar.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#580 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28153 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:33 AM

My only issue with the all-female heroes group shot is that it continues to raise a question I've been asking since Thor: Ragnarok...

WHERE IS LADY SIF?!!!!!

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users