Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 06:20 PM)

Perfection. :thumbsup

@  Patch : (11 July 2020 - 06:17 PM)

My plans:  :hmm  2020:  :)

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Our plans for 2020 were as amazing as Optimus Prime. But then 2020 came like Hot Rod.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 05:50 PM)

Indeed....

@  Bass X0 : (11 July 2020 - 05:40 PM)

"He who dies with the most toys wins."

@  Rycochet : (11 July 2020 - 01:11 PM)

Hey you, get moving, it's not too far, you're looking good so come as you are. Hey you, you never know what you'll see, when it's through that door with the 73.

@  Rycochet : (11 July 2020 - 01:10 PM)

Hey you, get ready, get on your feet. Get into gear and hit the street.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 12:46 PM)

I recall number 73 (old british show) discussing the Transformers movie and had the presenters trying to transform a few figures, one argued his deflated beach ball was a Transformer too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 July 2020 - 08:03 AM)

And he's a big ball, but he's not the biggest ball of them all. (That'll be Pulse Unicron.)

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 07:37 AM)

Trypticon so scared my Primus figure he turned into a ball.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 July 2020 - 09:56 PM)

King Nine, however, will not return.

@  Bass X0 : (09 July 2020 - 05:05 PM)

Bass_X0 will return after these messages ^^^

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 July 2020 - 03:37 PM)

WHATAMIFIGHTINGFOOOOOOOOARRGH

@  -LittleAutob... : (09 July 2020 - 02:06 PM)

Okay?

@  Otaku : (09 July 2020 - 07:47 AM)

@TheMightyMollusk Ah, but the series itself has pronounced "Bass" both ways. ;)  Oh, 90s English Capcom video game voice acting...

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 July 2020 - 03:14 AM)

Looking at my Titan Returns collection I can see they realised they didn't have to paint the Titan Masters after wave one, lazy bums.

@  Maruten : (08 July 2020 - 09:13 PM)

No, I'm going with "fish".

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 July 2020 - 04:19 PM)

He stated that it's in reference to the Mega Man character, so it follows the series' tradition of music names.

@  Cybersnark : (08 July 2020 - 03:59 PM)

The real question is if it's "bass" as in music or "bass" as in the fish.

@  Otaku : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Well, at least now I know how to pronounce @Bass X0 's screen name. ^^'  Rather, I think I'd just forgotten.  In my defense, it really does look like an emoticon or maybe just "decoration", which is what a lot of folks add to their screen names online.  Usually because someone has the name they really want. XD

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Extremely unimpressed with your idea that someone making a negative observation you don't like means they "got triggered."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (08 July 2020 - 11:16 AM)

You know somebody asked "And this would be in relation to... what exactly?"

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Its because someone got triggered over my random musings instead of just ignoring them. If I read one of your comments that is of no relevance or interest to me, I don't feel the need to say so.

@  -LittleAutob... : (08 July 2020 - 10:56 AM)

All this over someone's username lol

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 08:34 AM)

Bazro.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (08 July 2020 - 06:34 AM)

It could be Bass 10-0

@  Nevermore : (08 July 2020 - 06:11 AM)

How do you pronounce yourself? "Bass Ex-O" or "Bass Ex-Zero"?

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 03:23 AM)

I did almost go with Vile Bass X0, because Vile is cool too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 July 2020 - 08:34 PM)

Bossk Saw

@  ▲ndrusi : (07 July 2020 - 04:16 PM)

Bass XD

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 03:43 PM)

And its not Bass XO, its Bass X0, as in Bass, X and Zero from the Mega Man series.

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:33 PM)

@Trpodeca :( :(

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Thats what a gray rock is? Then I'm not one.

@  Trpodeca : (07 July 2020 - 02:12 PM)

Man I just learnt about what seemed like a really cool show, only to realize it was a dream and it dosen't really exist.

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 01:02 PM)

Just something I read that I wanted to share. I heard "gray rock" mentioned in a video, so I looked it up and that was the definition.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 July 2020 - 12:20 PM)

It's a fancy way of saying "Ignore annoying people".

@  NotVeryKnightly : (07 July 2020 - 12:15 PM)

Bass XO has a habit of pasting random drivel here as if doing so were profound.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 July 2020 - 11:30 AM)

And this would be in relation to... what exactly?

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 11:25 AM)

"One strategy for dealing with a narcissist or sociopath is to act like a "gray rock," meaning that you become uninteresting and unresponsive. You don't feed their needs for drama or attention. You don't show emotion, say anything interesting, or disclose any personal information"

@  Nevermore : (06 July 2020 - 07:23 PM)

Oh wow. Studio Series Offroad Bumblebee is awesome. His articulation is amazing.

@  -LittleAutob... : (06 July 2020 - 11:18 AM)

Oof-

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 July 2020 - 01:10 AM)

I got Studio Series 39 Cogman yesterday and woke up to find he'd decapitated my titans returns figures.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 July 2020 - 10:19 PM)

If I had a sarcasm powered mouth.. ooohh waaaiiittt...

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 05:01 PM)

Heh

@  Bass X0 : (04 July 2020 - 02:56 PM)

"If I had sarcasm-powered legs, I'd do a happy dance...!"

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 July 2020 - 02:39 PM)

The real clones were the friends we made along the way.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 01:47 PM)

So the Emperor in episodes 1 through 6 was a clone?

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:47 AM)

(And the 0th anniversary of the last time I couldn't do math.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Today is the 24th anniversary of the day we fought off an alien invasion with the help of Will Smith.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 10:41 AM)

Oh the end of the Ottoman Empire of course.

Photo
- - - - -

Quick Wings Universe Question

Wings Universe Lore Continuity G1 cartoon

25 replies to this topic

#1 That One Guy

That One Guy

MaxCop gone rogue

• Citizen
  • 130 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:52 PM

Okay, so quick question (specifically for NightViper considering his extensive involvement with Fun Pub and the Wings Universe as a whole). If all major events of the G1 cartoon continuity happen in Wings Universe, does the reverse apply for the G1 cartoon continuity?

For example, since the Machine Wars happened in WU, and the two timelines are supposedly very similar, then would the Machine Wars as we saw them occur in the cartoon continuity, though slightly edited to avoid any continuity errors?

Probably a question of little importance to most, but it's a query that's been nagging on me for the last few days. Thanks in advance to any help given!

Edited by That ONE Guy, 03 December 2018 - 11:00 PM.

#2 Creedence

Creedence

borf borf

• Citizen
  • 9212 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:19 PM

You're free to think it does, but nothing that outside the cartoon is going to be binding to anybody who wants to use the cartoon for their continuity.

#3 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 4021 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:32 PM

The point of Wings Universe was to give the FunPub writers a place to play with G1 cartoon-esque stories without actually having to worry about tripping over Hasbro mandates and what have you, so probably not?

#4 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9760 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:35 AM

If anything written in the Wings Universe is also automatically written into the G1 cartoon universe, then you might as well just say you're writing in the G1 cartoon universe to be begin with and not bother creating a new continuity at all.

#5 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23766 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:46 AM

If all major events of the G1 cartoon continuity happen in Wings Universe, does the reverse apply for the G1 cartoon continuity?

Probably not.

#6 That One Guy

That One Guy

MaxCop gone rogue

• Citizen
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:55 AM

Alright alright, point taken, stupid question. I was just curious, because the two continuities were described as very similar, so I wondered if all the broad strokes between them stayed the same (ei, major events like the Machine Wars).

As a continuity nerd, this is the stuff I ask myself when reading articles or statements from creators.

#7 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42544 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:42 AM

What's been said is correct, with or without the snark :p

The main motivation for Fun Pub separating Wingsverse from the G1 cartoon was because they didn't want to impact any of the previous writing and intents, without having the blessing of those that created the previous fiction. This was actually something very important to Pete Sinclair as an editor - he felt it disrespectful to change or rewrite or add to the previous stories if he knew that the new writing wouldn't have been what the original creative team would have put out. So, where he could, he opted to make the stories set in entirely new universes to completely get around the issue. Or new branches, like Classicsverse erupting out of and away from the Marvel comics. 

So shorter answer, no. The Wingsverse wouldn't reflect back on the G1 cartoon in any official mandate. If you'd like to add some of it to your own personal mega-canon though, I don't think we ended up making as many contradictions to the G1 cartoon as we thought we might have to (which was another reason why Wingsverse was made a distinct universe). 

#8 That One Guy

That One Guy

MaxCop gone rogue

• Citizen
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:25 AM

Ahh, okay, that clears things up. Now knowing the intent behind the decision, it makes things a lot clearer than at first.

In no official sense (this is, after all, just a series of forums and discussions), I think that the timelines being stated as highly similar indicates a mutual history of shared events, although of course that's simply personal canon. Thanks for the replies everyone, this has been quite useful.

Edited by That ONE Guy, 04 December 2018 - 11:25 AM.

#9 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30378 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:27 AM

Though, there are the Season 5 events of the cartoon that feature Powermaster Optimus Prime and Tommy Kennedy, which the Wings Universe seems to lack.

Edited by Sabrblade, 04 December 2018 - 11:28 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#10 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 27283 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:44 AM

Though, there are the Season 5 events of the cartoon that feature Powermaster Optimus Prime and Tommy Kennedy, which the Wings Universe seems to lack.

Okay, I've got to hear the explanation for this one. What happened in Wings that excludes season 5?

#11 Broadside

Broadside

#HaulOfFame

• Citizen
  • 11072 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:56 AM

Wings is to Sunbow as Marvel UK is to Marvel US.

unknown.png

#12 That One Guy

That One Guy

MaxCop gone rogue

• Citizen
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:59 AM

Other than Prime not having his power master body (Wings is no stranger to switching bodies for characters), what exactly contradicts the Season 5 shorts?

#13 That One Guy

That One Guy

MaxCop gone rogue

• Citizen
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:55 PM

Also, for the sake of context, this topic was mainly created to see if events similar to (but not quite the same as) the Machine Wars and Hoist the Flag happened in the G1 cartoon continuity in a 'Not official' but still assumed sort of way. That continuity was my childhood, and thus I have a special attachment to it. Wings Universe lore offers a potential expansion to the lore of the cartoon, and thus is of great interest to me.

Plus, NightViper's mention of Prime and Galvatron likely entering J'nwan after the Machine Wars has got me hooked on all kinds of questions.

Edited by That ONE Guy, 06 December 2018 - 02:06 PM.

#14 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30378 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:10 AM

Well, as was said, the Wings Universe was created as a way for Fun Pub to play around in a world like the cartoon without affecting the world of the cartoon proper.

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#15 That One Guy

That One Guy

MaxCop gone rogue

• Citizen
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:59 PM

Yes, I understand the motives behind that decision now. My mega-continuity timeline is going to need rewriting after Beast Machines, however, as I had been using Hoist the Flag and the Tornado-Decepticon Saboteur entries as the continuation of the timeline. In light of the information gained from this post, I'll have to return to using the Universe War ending (which is a shame, I rather enjoyed Hoist the Flag).

Speaking of the Universe War, I have a question. Was it confirmed that the Maximal High Council bites it during the Culling? Some articles on TFWiki have mentioned it in passing, others not, and I can't find the actual source text anywhere.

#16 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30378 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:21 PM

Speaking of the Universe War, I have a question. Was it confirmed that the Maximal High Council bites it during the Culling? Some articles on TFWiki have mentioned it in passing, others not, and I can't find the actual source text anywhere.

That info comes from the profile for Optimus Primal printed in Issue #9 of the Transformers Collectors Club newsletter (before it became a magazine).

#17 That One Guy

That One Guy

MaxCop gone rogue

• Citizen
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:35 PM

Got it. Rip Magnaboss (I was enjoying the fact Prowl and Ironhide somehow returned from the dead yet again). Of course, perhaps this Magnaboss wasn't a combiner at all and that's limited only to IDW fiction, but that's just pure speculation.

#18 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 10043 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:40 PM

Got it. Rip Magnaboss (I was enjoying the fact Prowl and Ironhide somehow returned from the dead yet again). Of course, perhaps this Magnaboss wasn't a combiner at all and that's limited only to IDW fiction, but that's just pure speculation.

Don't forget: the Magnaboss members being the famous G1 veterans is only definitely true in IDW Beast Wars and "Dawn of the Predacus", however obvious of an interpretation it might be. In Beast Wars: Uprising, eagle Silverbolt is his own individual, and in the original toy bio continuity, it is ambiguous. As for 3H continuity, I suppose you would have to ask those creators what they thought.

#19 That One Guy

That One Guy

MaxCop gone rogue

• Citizen
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:48 PM

Very true. If I had a dollar for every time TF lore was ambiguous...

#20 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30378 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:44 PM

Said creator who put Magnaboss on the High Council in the 3H fiction was Simon Furman, who was also the author of the IDW Beast Wars comics that made Magnaboss's components into the Maximal Elders, so make of that what you will.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wings Universe, Lore, Continuity, G1 cartoon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users