Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

@  Telly : (13 June 2021 - 12:08 AM)

or feed him after midnight

@  wonko the sane? : (12 June 2021 - 09:00 PM)

Just don't drop him.

@  Kaon : (12 June 2021 - 08:03 PM)

man this chat is nothing but Bass X)

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 07:08 PM)

Carefull, he is a Bass Xo.

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 June 2021 - 05:53 PM)

Aw, it's not even a shiny.

@  Sabrblade : (12 June 2021 - 05:27 PM)

A wild Bass X0 has appeared!

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 05:20 PM)

I didn't even try this time.

Photo

Unpopular gaming opinions

549 replies to this topic

#461 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5874 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 31 January 2021 - 10:09 AM

I'm not sure how much work it'd really be. I mean have you ever looked at what people do for rom hacks? It's some amazing stuff.

Hell what you are talking about is basically that Castlevania 2 rom fix that's floating out there. Well, okay actually I think this might be a bit more complicated, but I feel it's probably doable with those who know their code.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#462 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 44818 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:13 PM

Frankly, I don't know. I've never hacked a rom before.

But the thread IS titled "unpopular game opinions", so... :D

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#463 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 19238 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 01 February 2021 - 06:54 AM

Okay, wow, a bit to break down here.

Adding a save feature alone would be a hell of a feat for a rom hack. And since it a rom anyway, why would you even build in a save feature? You would use the emulators state save.

Please read all the text before responding:

1a) Some sort of save feature would be good, if we're talking something not running on an emulator.

I made that 1a as more of an aside to the key issue, and per the bolded text, I'm talking outside of an emulator, like some sort of official remake or re-release.

Weapon storage and selection require binding the key controls for it, and increasing the game memory to create an actual inventory.

I'm not sure where talk of binding and inventory is coming from.

In the game, you're allowed one subweapon per Turtle. As you're walking along, bashing enemies' heads in, they can drop another item, and there's just a slight delay to it, making it far too easy to pick up without realizing it. Suddenly, your 99 scrolls just became 20 shuriken.

Make that 19.

18. 17.

Because whenever you pick up a new subweapon, it's switched on automatically, whether yours was or not. So now you're trying to fend off enemies with your normal attack and you're instead wasting ammo of the new weapon you just got without realizing and didn't even want.

Or just do away with random weapon drops altogether. I won't miss 'em.

Some of the stuff you want could probably done with minimal problems in the game code. Some of the stuff you want requires a fundamental altering of the game engine. Since you're asking for that kind of stuff anyway: might as well just start from scratch in an engine that lets you do that stuff to begin with instead of trying to hack a 32 year old, 8 bit game.

Plus, you'd be able to get better graphics, tighter controls, and a whole host of in game feature adjustments for your trouble.

More work? Yeah, absolutely. But the end product would be worth it.

A guy in his garage could probably implement the changes I'm talking about. Hell, I could probably do it, if I had enough time to dedicate to learning how, but I don't.

But rebuilding it from the ground up is going to take way more than I've got the time or resources for.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#464 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44818 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 07:49 AM

And again: if we're talking about something official; why wouldn't you add new features and options that are closer to the standard for these kinds of games since it was first made?

#465 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Follow your heart, let it guide you through the dark

• Supporter
  • 50709 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 01 February 2021 - 10:18 AM

I'd rather just play Turtles in Time, personally.

#466 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 2173 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 01 February 2021 - 11:05 AM

Also Nintendo has never made a completely bad system. Certainly some oddly unique ones, but theirs never been a Nintendo system I didnt enjoy playing.

Even the Virtual Boy?

I tried playing the Virtual Boy once on a Sears display. It was every bit as eye-straining as they said. It was poorly executed, no doubt. But if current tech has proven anything it's that the idea was sound. It just needed a few decades for the technology to get there.

What Caldwin said. I loved the Warioland game and There was a starfox likegame I remember playing.

I picked up my Virtual Boy after the system failed and the price crashed, but before they'd been cleared off the shelves yet. I think it was like $20-$25 if I remember right. And all of about 3 games for it.

I liked the concept well enough, but the technology definitely wasn't ready. The neck pain that came with having to position yourself relative to the unit rather than strapping on a headset was way worse than any eye strain. As much as I like the concept, a system that hurts to play for more than a few minutes is a bad system.

#467 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11378 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 01 February 2021 - 11:24 AM

Turtles in Time is over-rated.

*hides!*

#468 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Follow your heart, let it guide you through the dark

• Supporter
  • 50709 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 01 February 2021 - 11:29 AM

Turtles in Time is over-rated.

*hides!*

pitchforks-and-torches.jpg

#469 Caldwin

Caldwin

Keelah Se'lai

• Supporter
  • 27606 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 01 February 2021 - 01:37 PM

Now now, TMM. This thread is for unpopular opinions. *ties Silverclaw to a pyre* Silverclaw is entitled to his opinion. *poors kerosene all over Silverclaw and the pyre* We can't just lynch someone for thinking differently from the entire rest of the human race. *ties black powder around Silverclaw's neck* I'm afraid we'll just have to agree to disagree. *pat's around his pockets* Does anyone have a match?
Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#470 Princess Viola

Princess Viola
  • Supporter
  • 32028 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 01 February 2021 - 03:00 PM

Console-exclusive games are bad and all video games should be made available on PC. I don't hold this opinion because of some dumbass 'PC gaming SUPERIOR, I'll never touch filthy peasant consoles!!!' view but entirely because it's so much easier to maintain and keep playing your collection of games on PC.

I admittedly don't have any current gen consoles, but say I had a PS5 and wanted to play a PS3 game from 2008 on it? Well too bad, unless there was a remastered version for the PS4 or something, I'd have to go and buy/have a PS3 just for that game. But on PC if I wanna play a game from 2008 on it? I just...install the game and play it. I'll freely admit that some games might have problems and might need to adjust some stuff to make it work with modern high res screens, high framerate displays, etc, I don't pretend it's perfect for every game, but I'd much rather have that than 'lol no you can't play these old games on your new hardware'.

dznwjievmaanw90kooil.png

#471 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 19238 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 06:57 AM

And again: if we're talking about something official; why wouldn't you add new features and options that are closer to the standard for these kinds of games since it was first made?

Not really talking about anything official, because game companies are cheap, and just getting them to open their wallets to pay for the license for something a second time tends to require some sort of voodoo, witchcraft, a wish on a falling star, and a miracle. I just put the asides to acknowledge there are potential further improvements that could be made in the right circumstances.

But for the purposes of an unofficial ROM hack or patch, the main three alone should make significant gains.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Edited by LBD "Nytetrayn", 02 February 2021 - 06:58 AM.

#472 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5874 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 02 February 2021 - 09:50 AM

Console-exclusive games are bad and all video games should be made available on PC. I don't hold this opinion because of some dumbass 'PC gaming SUPERIOR, I'll never touch filthy peasant consoles!!!' view but entirely because it's so much easier to maintain and keep playing your collection of games on PC.

I admittedly don't have any current gen consoles, but say I had a PS5 and wanted to play a PS3 game from 2008 on it? Well too bad, unless there was a remastered version for the PS4 or something, I'd have to go and buy/have a PS3 just for that game. But on PC if I wanna play a game from 2008 on it? I just...install the game and play it. I'll freely admit that some games might have problems and might need to adjust some stuff to make it work with modern high res screens, high framerate displays, etc, I don't pretend it's perfect for every game, but I'd much rather have that than 'lol no you can't play these old games on your new hardware'.

I don't entirely agree with this, but I understand where you are coming from.

Still I'd hate if consoles just up and vanished.

For one I still feel that trying to get exclusive games for your system and that whole 'competitiveness' among the companies that make systems, is a good thing. It helps drive each of them forward. 

If everything was just dumped on PC, I feel like a lot, if not most, of that competitive drive to make that "Killer app" game would vanish. They're no longer trying to make sure you want to buy THIER console. I just feel like people wouldn't try as hard, and that'd greatly effect the final project.

We'd also not get things like the Nintendo Wii. I can't imagine that have ever coming out if all we did was PC game.

Lastly, are the controls. Most PC games are compatible with a controller now a days, but is that only because console games are a thing? If not, would more games just use some sort of mouse/keyboard approach? I have a feeling I might be a bit too worried on this last one, but it leads into a gaming opinion I have that's likely unpopular. (Also not sure I mentioned it before in this thread)

But I'm sorry the keyboard and mouse is NOT an acceptable way of playing many games. I understand how it helps with something like an RTS game, or a sim game (games I'm not a fan of in the first place) But hell no I'm not playing any first person shooters or RPGs with that horrible control scheme. Give me a controller in my hands or forget it.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#473 Princess Viola

Princess Viola
  • Supporter
  • 32028 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 01:40 PM

But hell no I'm not playing any first person shooters

You lost me there dude lol.

I actually can't understand how people play FPS with controllers vs KB+M (or gyro on the Switch), it's so sluggish using analog sticks and tons of FPS on consoles have to compromise with auto-aim.

dznwjievmaanw90kooil.png

#474 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44818 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 04:07 PM

Depends entirely on the game. I completely rock fallout 4 using my controller and I functionally treat it like an FPS, but couldn't manage on either the outerworlds or cyberpunk and had to switch to the keyboard and mouse.

#475 Wing

Wing

Puns will continue until morale improves.

• Supporter
  • 18074 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 04 February 2021 - 10:19 AM

But hell no I'm not playing any first person shooters

You lost me there dude lol.

I actually can't understand how people play FPS with controllers vs KB+M (or gyro on the Switch), it's so sluggish using analog sticks and tons of FPS on consoles have to compromise with auto-aim.

For me at least, it's what I started on. It may be slower, but it's more comfortable. Trying to maneuver in high-tension situations with WASD just results in hand cramps and screw-ups trying to get my brain to parse what I need to do and finagle that into four fingers and a hand compared to two thumbs. Not like I'm good at competitive shooters either way, so if I'm gonna be bad, I may as well be comfortable.

UnHImyv.png

#476 Caldwin

Caldwin

Keelah Se'lai

• Supporter
  • 27606 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 04 February 2021 - 12:39 PM

I played the original Tomb Raider on PC because I didn't have a PlayStation. I appreciated save-anywhere vs. save-crystals. It also used arrow keys instead of WASD so controls weren't to bad.

But I can't play it on any PC I own now where as I was able to get a backwards compatible PS2 with all the TombRaiders for dirt cheap at Disc Replay...though I still don't like Save Cystals.

I also played Jedi Academy on PC, Mac and Nintendo Switch.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, hug computer/console loyalty. I play games on whatever works for whatever game. I played Angry Birds and hugging Final Fantasy III on iPad!

Can't we all just get along...except for those Turtles in Time haters. hug those bastards!

Oh yeah! I found a match.

*FWOOM*
Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#477 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 10085 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 05:09 AM

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, hug computer/console loyalty. I play games on whatever works for whatever game. I played Angry Birds and hugging Final Fantasy III on iPad!

Computer/console loyalty is and always has been stupid.

I prefer the ease and convenience of consoles, but I find RTS games like StarCraft or C&C unplayable on them.  So I play those exclusively on a PC.

#478 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 19238 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 06:11 AM

Computer/console loyalty is and always has been stupid.

I disagree, to a point.

Having a particular platform you enjoy and want to support is fine. Doing it at the expense of all others and tearing down what others enjoy simply to build yours up and try to protect one's fragile ego is not, however.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

#479 Princess Viola

Princess Viola
  • Supporter
  • 32028 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 08:07 AM

I'm convinced that like half of the 'PC master race' (which reminder was literally coined to make fun of PC gamers and their elitism and sense of superiority but leave it to gamers to not understand sarcasm and non-ironically adopt the term themselves) are just teenagers who feel the need to aggressively justify why they spent like $1000 of their parents' money on a gaming PC and the other half are grown-ass adults who never outgrew that mentality.

And I'm saying this as a primarily PC gamer.

dznwjievmaanw90kooil.png

#480 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44818 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 08:29 AM

In my experience, the whole game thing was a progression.

-Consoles are easy, direct, cheaper. Absolutely great for when you're younger, broke, or relying on people who don't understand or don't care to get you your equipment.

-PCs are great for when you're older. More complex, but absolutely more control, more expensive but at the same time: more rugged and available.

Some people never get off consoles, and that's cool. It works, and some people can't wrap their heads around tooling their PCs on their own. No shame there. Some people start absolutely ready to jump right to PC. It happens.

Just, you know, don't ruin other peoples fun. There's never a reason for that.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users