Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

@  Telly : (13 June 2021 - 12:08 AM)

or feed him after midnight

@  wonko the sane? : (12 June 2021 - 09:00 PM)

Just don't drop him.

@  Kaon : (12 June 2021 - 08:03 PM)

man this chat is nothing but Bass X)

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 07:08 PM)

Carefull, he is a Bass Xo.

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 June 2021 - 05:53 PM)

Aw, it's not even a shiny.

@  Sabrblade : (12 June 2021 - 05:27 PM)

A wild Bass X0 has appeared!

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 05:20 PM)

I didn't even try this time.

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 03:43 AM)

8ass X÷ has hijacked this conversation.

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 03:37 AM)

Its Bass X0. I named myself after my three favourite Mega Man characters - Bass, X and Zero. I did consider going with Vile Bass X0, but that would have been going too far.

@  repowers : (11 June 2021 - 11:29 PM)

Bass XO has been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

@  Echowarrior : (11 June 2021 - 09:25 PM)

Do not taunt Bass XO.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 June 2021 - 09:02 PM)

Please consult a technician before using Bass XO. Do not operate Bass XO while consuming alcohol.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 June 2021 - 04:48 PM)

Nine out of ten doctors recommend Bass XO. The last doctor is on my list.

@  Dekafox : (11 June 2021 - 01:51 PM)

Bass XO is available at these fine retailers.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 June 2021 - 02:01 AM)

Bass XO is not to be confused with Bay Sexo.

@  Fenix Twilight : (10 June 2021 - 08:38 PM)

It's good to be back, after that outage I think I'll try to post more.

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 June 2021 - 12:16 PM)

I think Hasbro Pulse is broken. Dang Star Wars nerds!

@  tigerhawk : (10 June 2021 - 04:46 AM)

When I googled 'space bridge' I was disappointed. Maybe in a hundred years.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 June 2021 - 04:05 PM)

Bass XO is backward compatible with the Sega Master System.

@  Donocropolis : (09 June 2021 - 05:37 AM)

Bass XO has 9" long, dagger-like teeth and a 12,000 lb. bite force

@  repowers : (08 June 2021 - 07:26 PM)

Bass XO doesn't feel pain. He can't be reasoned with!

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 June 2021 - 02:57 PM)

Bass XO has no known weaknesses.

@  Nevermore : (08 June 2021 - 06:15 AM)

Base XO is definitely unstoppable.

@  Donocropolis : (07 June 2021 - 04:30 PM)

What about magnets? No one knows how they work or what they can do.

@  Bass X0 : (07 June 2021 - 02:22 PM)

Yes Cybershark, and now no force in the universe can stop us.

@  Cybersnark : (07 June 2021 - 10:03 AM)

Aaaan we're back!

@  Telly : (06 June 2021 - 09:07 PM)

its alive! AAAALIIIIIIVEEEEEE! *maniacal laugh*

@  repowers : (06 June 2021 - 02:18 PM)

WHAT!!! ALLSPARK!!! you IN LIVE!!!!!!

@  Donocropolis : (06 June 2021 - 01:53 PM)

Indeed. I was missing it.

@  Shockwave 75 : (06 June 2021 - 11:35 AM)

So glad the boards are back!

@  Echowarrior : (06 June 2021 - 07:45 AM)

It's alive! Alive!

@  wonko the sane? : (05 June 2021 - 08:32 PM)

Aw man, I missed this place...

@  Sabrblade : (05 June 2021 - 08:31 PM)

Now here in Manhattan, the spell is broken! And we live again!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (05 June 2021 - 08:16 PM)

Groovy.

@  Kaon : (05 June 2021 - 07:23 PM)

How is everyone

@  Kaon : (05 June 2021 - 06:42 PM)

test

@  tigerhawk : (24 May 2021 - 07:42 AM)

I'm making progress with tweezers. It's no great loss given Dai Atlas minor roles anyway, I really do prefer this mold for Titans Overlord and Sky Shadow,

Photo

Unpopular gaming opinions

549 replies to this topic

#441 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 44806 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:37 AM

Wait... why doesn't leo have a similar reach but more damage? Cause... hugging swords.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#442 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Follow your heart, let it guide you through the dark

• Supporter
  • 50693 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 29 January 2021 - 08:38 AM

Donatello had more reach because his bo staff is longer than one of Leo's swords. His "balance" was that he thrusts it straight, giving him a narrower hit area, compared to everyone else's arc. In practice, it rarely mattered, because most enemies were large enough to hit anyway.

#443 Caldwin

Caldwin

Keelah Se'lai

• Supporter
  • 27584 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 29 January 2021 - 09:10 AM

I love the NES TMNT game. Put that and Castlevania in front of me and tell me I have to beat one, I'm picking TMNT.
--LBD "Nytetrayn"

If I have to beat either one of those, I'd be dead.

Castlevania I never made it past stage four. Heck, I'm not sure if I ever made it past stage three more than once.

TMNT I vaguely remember beating the dam once.

They're both fun games but I hold no illusion of ever beating either one of them.

Donatello had more reach

April had more flexibility.

Edited by Caldwin, 29 January 2021 - 09:12 AM.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#444 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

• Supporter
  • 50693 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:47 PM

I vaguely recall that the airport stage of TMNT had randomized placement within the stage map. So not only could the required level be the first manhole you found or the very last; if you lost a turtle, the stage you'd have to clear to get them back would also be randomized, so good luck finding them. And that was where the game started getting really unfair. I don't think I ever made it past that.

#445 Caldwin

Caldwin

Keelah Se'lai

• Supporter
  • 27584 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 02:09 PM

The first TMNT game, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden and Contra games all have one thing in common: they're all easy for the first couple levels and then its best to just turn them off.

And they were all made by Konami. So I guess that's two things.
Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#446 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 2173 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 29 January 2021 - 06:41 PM

I haven't played it in decades, but I could beat TMNT consistently back when I was a kid. It was tough, but it was doable.

I could reach Dracula in Castlevania, but it was tough to do. I never managed to defeat him without using save states. Knowing more about the fight and game mechanics these days, I imagine I might be able to do it with some practice, but I would absolutely abuse save states to get that practice. I definitely rank Castlevania as tougher than TMNT.

I know I made it to the final boss of Ninja Gaiden once. I never owned the game, so I guess it must have been as a rental. I can't recall if that means I had to get through the game normally, or if there was some cheat code to let you go straight to it. From what little I remember of it though, it's one I'm confident I would never win without abusing save states. I haven't spent nearly as much time with it, but I certainly remember it as being tougher still than Castlevania.

Contra can go die in a fire. I don't think I ever got very far in it, and it put me off enough very early on to never want to try to do so.

#447 Caldwin

Caldwin

Keelah Se'lai

• Supporter
  • 27584 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:04 PM

I love Playing Contra. The controls are tight and it knows there's never enough dakka. But the Konami code is an absolute must or else I have to be at the top of my game just to get past the first level.

#448 Corgis Pal

Corgis Pal

I don't need a rationale to sing The Internationale

• Supporter
  • 6833 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:52 PM

Sonic the Hedgehog has never had a good game. Influential, yes, zeitgeisty, sure, popular, absolutely. But even the two and a half "good" ones are just okay. 

#449 Daith

Daith

Is this the Way?...

• Supporter
  • 10068 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 30 January 2021 - 01:16 AM

I had beat TMNT on NES 5 times or so. The dam never was that hard to me. It was just the last few levels afterwards that gave me trouble. Finding the Technodrome with the RNG between the foot base levels was a pain, and then once inside there was the constant slew of high powered enemies to get through before Shredder.

But if you had Don, Shredder was easily cheesed.

Also Nintendo has never made a completely bad system. Certainly some oddly unique ones, but theirs never been a Nintendo system I didnt enjoy playing.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#450 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 19236 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 30 January 2021 - 05:32 AM

I've beaten TMNT a few times. Mostly comes down to stocking up scrolls for the final level or two.

The NES TMNT game has a lot of big ideas that bungles the execution a tad.  Did you know that the turtles all deal different damage to different enemies?   Did you know that it's almost a moot point entirely since Donatello does the most damage in almost all instances in addition to having his massive reach?  It's true!

They wanted to have other differences between the Turtles, as I recall, but didn't have time to incorporate a system that complex.

Donatello had more reach because his bo staff is longer than one of Leo's swords. His "balance" was that he thrusts it straight, giving him a narrower hit area, compared to everyone else's arc. In practice, it rarely mattered, because most enemies were large enough to hit anyway.

The main differences boasted are strength and speed; Don was the strongest but slowest, and had the longest reach. Raph was fastest but generally weakest with the shortest range.

If anyone wanted to make a hack or patch, just three things would improve the game significantly:

1) Unlimited continues.

1a) Some sort of save feature would be good, if we're talking something not running on an emulator.

2) Be able to rescue a Turtle more than once per level.

3) Don't automatically replace your equipped special weapon when a new one is randomly dropped by an enemy, making you lose the good weapon you stockpiled for a crappier one. At least drop the old weapon so you can pick it back up!

3b) Also, don't automatically turn the picked-up weapon on so you're wasting ammo before you know what happened.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#451 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

• Supporter
  • 50693 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 06:20 AM

Also Nintendo has never made a completely bad system. Certainly some oddly unique ones, but theirs never been a Nintendo system I didnt enjoy playing.

Even the Virtual Boy?

#452 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44806 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 08:07 AM

I've beaten TMNT a few times. Mostly comes down to stocking up scrolls for the final level or two.

The NES TMNT game has a lot of big ideas that bungles the execution a tad.  Did you know that the turtles all deal different damage to different enemies?   Did you know that it's almost a moot point entirely since Donatello does the most damage in almost all instances in addition to having his massive reach?  It's true!

They wanted to have other differences between the Turtles, as I recall, but didn't have time to incorporate a system that complex.

The main differences boasted are strength and speed; Don was the strongest but slowest, and had the longest reach. Raph was fastest but generally weakest with the shortest range.

If anyone wanted to make a hack or patch, just three things would improve the game significantly:

1) Unlimited continues.

1a) Some sort of save feature would be good, if we're talking something not running on an emulator.

3) Don't automatically replace your equipped special weapon when a new one is randomly dropped by an enemy, making you lose the good weapon you stockpiled for a crappier one. At least drop the old weapon so you can pick it back up!

3b) Also, don't automatically turn the picked-up weapon on so you're wasting ammo before you know what happened.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

At this point: you might as well just drag out the programs and make a new game.

#453 Caldwin

Caldwin

Keelah Se'lai

• Supporter
  • 27584 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:11 AM

Even the Virtual Boy?

I tried playing the Virtual Boy once on a Sears display. It was every bit as eye-straining as they said. It was poorly executed, no doubt. But if current tech has proven anything it's that the idea was sound. It just needed a few decades for the technology to get there.

#454 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 5482 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:39 AM

Streets of Rage 4 is absurdly overrated.  It lacks of the polish of Battletoads and the personality of the WayForward brawlers like Double Dragon Neon and River City Girls.  It is repeatedly guilty of the same complaints those other games were often accused of.

I think it is one of the most blatant “blinded by nostalgia” games we’ve seen in years.

#455 Caldwin

Caldwin

Keelah Se'lai

• Supporter
  • 27584 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:58 AM

I don't remember what numbers I've played, but between a couple different Genesis collections and the Genesis mini, I have played a few different Streets of Rage games. I've also played all 3 original Final Fight games and each of the Double Dragons.

For my money, Final Fight's button press to animation controls are the smoothest, the sound effects make the hits feel the most impactful and the music is just awesome.

Not saying the other games are bad. They're actually pretty good. And with the TMNT and X-Men arcade games, it's hard to say Final Fight is the best brawler. But if I had a choice between Double Dragon, Streets of Rage or Final Fight; I'd choose Final Fight every time.

#456 Daith

Daith

Is this the Way?...

• Supporter
  • 10068 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 11:59 AM

Even the Virtual Boy?

I tried playing the Virtual Boy once on a Sears display. It was every bit as eye-straining as they said. It was poorly executed, no doubt. But if current tech has proven anything it's that the idea was sound. It just needed a few decades for the technology to get there.

What Caldwin said. I loved the Warioland game and There was a starfox likegame I remember playing.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#457 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11376 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 12:04 PM

Dynasty Warriors style games are better than old style beatemups.

#458 Caldwin

Caldwin

Keelah Se'lai

• Supporter
  • 27584 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 12:19 PM

I'm not sure that's an unpopular opinion. A lot of people seem to like Warriors games. Personally though, I prefer old style beat em ups.

I think I said this in the Hyrule Warriors thread, but there's two things I really don't like about Warriors games.

1. East camp is under attack. Okay. Wait, where's the east gate. The map says it's right thete. Ugh! 2D maps don't help when I'm on a 3D battle field. West camp is under attack. I'm still trying to find my way to the east camp! North camp is under attack. ONE THING AT A TIME, DAMNIT!

2. Wow! I'm really kicking ass and taking names! Hundreds of enemy dead and I've barely taken any damage at all. Wait...mission failed? What? Why mission failed? I'm still at full hugging health!

#459 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 19236 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 31 January 2021 - 05:41 AM

1) Unlimited continues.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

At this point: you might as well just drag out the programs and make a new game.

I don't see how adjusting some values (in the first two cases, at least) is even remotely comparable to building a whole new game from scratch.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#460 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44806 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 09:29 AM

Adding a save feature alone would be a hell of a feat for a rom hack. And since it a rom anyway, why would you even build in a save feature? You would use the emulators state save. Weapon storage and selection require binding the key controls for it, and increasing the game memory to create an actual inventory. Some of the stuff you want could probably done with minimal problems in the game code. Some of the stuff you want requires a fundamental altering of the game engine. Since you're asking for that kind of stuff anyway: might as well just start from scratch in an engine that lets you do that stuff to begin with instead of trying to hack a 32 year old, 8 bit game.

Plus, you'd be able to get better graphics, tighter controls, and a whole host of in game feature adjustments for your trouble.

More work? Yeah, absolutely. But the end product would be worth it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users