Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  MEDdMI : (24 May 2019 - 07:40 AM)

They fight you with sparkles.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 May 2019 - 03:40 AM)

Phyrexians are the bishie-est.

@  unluckiness : (24 May 2019 - 12:29 AM)

That's why they always wear long sleeved shirts and long pants

@  fourteenwings : (23 May 2019 - 11:36 PM)

Everybody knows the most bishie thing about any bishie is his exposed sinew.

@  MEDdMI : (23 May 2019 - 10:04 PM)

*looks up the humanoid slivers* ...really? People were calling those bishies?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 May 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Have they made a sliver planeswalker yet?

@  RichardT1977 : (23 May 2019 - 10:29 AM)

"DECOMPOSE!"

@  Paladin : (23 May 2019 - 06:29 AM)

will they next evolve into Inhumanoids?

@  Ashley : (23 May 2019 - 02:42 AM)

the original slivers were spikey monsters. then the evolved into humanoids. now they're back to spikey bug monsters.

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM)

Wait. Slivers were bishies???

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2019 - 10:40 PM)

They haven't necessarily looped yet. It's possible they're stuck in "yaoi anatomy"

@  Ashley : (22 May 2019 - 10:35 PM)

I think Slivers in MTG have crossed the bishonen line and looped back around to monstrous

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM)

Maxi, provigo, loblaws.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM)

Which store brand is it?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

I need to buy more "no name" foods. This pizza is freaking awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

I watched Death Wish 5 last night and clearly recognized Toronto streets; didn't pull me out of Bronson's 1-man war on drugs or fashion or whatever it was that pissed him off that time

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:49 PM)

it's nice to finally be thought of as exotic by somebody! lol

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:48 PM)

In an "I cannot possibly make my brain ignore the location I'm familiar with and pretend it's whatever the story claims it is" way?

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Question for those of you living in exotic locations such as the US or the UK: If you watch a movie or a TV show that features a real-life location as a stand-in for someplace else, and you recognize the real-life location due to having been there in person, does that pull you out of the story?

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM)

Maybe you should have installed macOS in your house instead.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 May 2019 - 04:40 PM)

Nothing like coming home after a long day to find a bird in the house. And then once you sit down for a well-earned rest after leading the bird back outside, you find it had a friend. A friend who *really* doesn't understand how windows work...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:26 PM)

Bingo. The big polls don't tell people what's actually happening because that doesn't sell.

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 AM)

IIRC there are good polls but data is easily manipulated so they give people what they want to hear

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 10:58 AM)

The only way to get people interested in politics is to make into reality TV. So they lie to do it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 May 2019 - 03:54 PM)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Stay out of the sun or melt into a pile of gross slop.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 May 2019 - 10:26 AM)

Greasy, disappointing and still managing to be over priced?

@  Lancer : (18 May 2019 - 10:22 AM)

... Yes, it is!

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2019 - 09:48 AM)

Life's a fillet of fish!

Photo

Unpopular gaming opinions

358 replies to this topic

#341 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 37685 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:59 PM

I liked Battlefront 1 more than Battlefront 2.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#342 Caldwin

Caldwin

Waaaaaaah!

• Supporter
  • 24060 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:53 PM

I actually prefer the slower paced Street Fighter II games. Sure my first SNES SF game was Turbo and for a while was the only version of SFII I could play. So I got used to Turbo speeds. But now with the 30th Anniversary Collection and the Arcade 1UP machine, I've gotten used to the slower pace and Turbo is actually a bit too fast paced for me.
PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

Before you do anything you can't undo...
National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#343 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 10883 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:29 PM

I hate Sonic's blue spheres levels.

HATE

#344 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19268 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:18 PM

HATE

I don't think this is unpopular opinion.  I generally have no clue what's going on in them, myself.  Just start moving around in directions and then it's "oh, alright, I 'died'.  I guess.  Or something...".  Pure nonsense.

Not to stir up the hornet's nest around the stuff that got me villified the last time, but that's totally in keeping with the parts I dislike about classic Sonic, in that a lot of it feels like blindly moving forward with no sense of direction, which is counter-intuitive to me.  A guy who spends his life moving around "at the speed of light" should be perfectly in control of his surroundings at all times, and Classic Sonic just makes me feel like I'm stumbling on every bump and rock in sight.

Or for the TL;DR, no matter what his fans are accustomed to, I still don't think the 80s/90s-style "trial-and-error" platformer is really the right genre for Sonic to reside in.

Edited by mx-01 archon, 01 May 2019 - 09:29 PM.

#345 Ximen

Ximen
  • Protoform
  • 6 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:47 AM

I think BFA (WoW) is not bad.

I don't like GW 2 mounts.

Fortnite is boring.

#346 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 10883 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:51 AM

So effing tired of SF2

#347 Caldwin

Caldwin

Waaaaaaah!

• Supporter
  • 24060 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:11 AM

That could be my fault. I've been on a Capcom kick lately. I'm sure I've been talking about it a lot.
PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

#348 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 10883 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:22 AM

No, it's just capcom's insistence of putting it everywhere and acting like we should be glad it's there (Sega classic coming to mind) instead of some of their other games.

I mean I get it.... SF2 is an icon.... but can be gotten literally everywhere. Stop forcing it down our throats.

#349 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 26524 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:24 PM

HATE

I don't think this is unpopular opinion.  I generally have no clue what's going on in them, myself.  Just start moving around in directions and then it's "oh, alright, I 'died'.  I guess.  Or something...".  Pure nonsense.

Not to stir up the hornet's nest around the stuff that got me villified the last time, but that's totally in keeping with the parts I dislike about classic Sonic, in that a lot of it feels like blindly moving forward with no sense of direction, which is counter-intuitive to me.  A guy who spends his life moving around "at the speed of light" should be perfectly in control of his surroundings at all times, and Classic Sonic just makes me feel like I'm stumbling on every bump and rock in sight.

Or for the TL;DR, no matter what his fans are accustomed to, I still don't think the 80s/90s-style "trial-and-error" platformer is really the right genre for Sonic to reside in.

It seems to me that your real problem with classic Sonic games is that you heard enough memes about them to form a deep-seated impression of what they were all about before you'd actually played any of them yourself, and now you're trying to play the game you imagined instead of the game that's in front of you.

Classic Sonic games are essentially about exploration. You find objects and things that might be routes you could take, you play with the physics, you figure out how different objects and setpieces work. Physics in particular are the defining feature of classic Sonic--the main reason Sonic Mania was so much better received than Sonic 4 is because Mania got the physics right. Speed is certainly an element, but it's a reward for figuring things out, whether it's "congratulations, you're at the beginning of Emerald Hill Zone and you realized you can press right to go right" or "yes, that's the right spot to jump on a curved hill so instead of going backwards you'll go forwards and cover ground faster than you would running alone" or "you got through that difficult platforming section, now please enjoy this loop and some rings." Or, yes, "you've memorized exactly where to jump so that you'll just miss the wall and not have to stop." Generally as the game goes on it makes you work harder. But the key is that it's not enough to have Sonic's ability to move his legs back and forth really fast--you also need his grasp of his environment.

Once you understand what Sonic understands that allows him to go fast, you can go fast, too.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#350 K Gatzby

K Gatzby

Mew.

• Supporter
  • 4727 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:58 PM

No, it's just capcom's insistence of putting it everywhere and acting like we should be glad it's there (Sega classic coming to mind) instead of some of their other games.

I mean I get it.... SF2 is an icon.... but can be gotten literally everywhere. Stop forcing it down our throats.

Alpha and 3 deserve more love than SF2.

Signatures are overrated.

#351 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38506 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:34 PM

Any time "crafting" is in a game, it's usually a tacked on feature used for a retail box call out instead of just, y'know, finding the actual gun or ammo or what have you.

I think Horizon Zero Dawn is the ONLY time I've ever thought crafting was done well in a game instead of something that grinds it to an absolute halt.

Alpha and 3 deserve more love than SF2.

SF Alpha 3 remains the best Street Fighter.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#352 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5047 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:58 PM

I...I don't like Street Fighter.

Should I see myself out?

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#353 Caldwin

Caldwin

Waaaaaaah!

• Supporter
  • 24060 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:04 PM

We can't be friends anymore.
PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

#354 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5047 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:54 PM

We can't be friends anymore.

W-well it's not like I wanted to be friends with you anyway b-baka!

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#355 tec

tec

Put a little spring in your step

• Supporter
  • 30296 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted Today, 01:12 AM

You can all rag on vanilla SF2, SF2CE, SF2T, SF2 Red Wave ,SSF2Turbo

But no one can say nothing about Super Street Fighter 2 ill shank an Allsparker

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#356 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19268 posts

Posted Today, 02:51 AM

HATE

It seems to me that your real problem with classic Sonic games is that you heard enough memes about them to form a deep-seated impression of what they were all about before you'd actually played any of them yourself, and now you're trying to play the game you imagined instead of the game that's in front of you.

Classic Sonic games are essentially about exploration. You find objects and things that might be routes you could take, you play with the physics, you figure out how different objects and setpieces work. Physics in particular are the defining feature of classic Sonic--the main reason Sonic Mania was so much better received than Sonic 4 is because Mania got the physics right. Speed is certainly an element, but it's a reward for figuring things out, whether it's "congratulations, you're at the beginning of Emerald Hill Zone and you realized you can press right to go right" or "yes, that's the right spot to jump on a curved hill so instead of going backwards you'll go forwards and cover ground faster than you would running alone" or "you got through that difficult platforming section, now please enjoy this loop and some rings." Or, yes, "you've memorized exactly where to jump so that you'll just miss the wall and not have to stop." Generally as the game goes on it makes you work harder. But the key is that it's not enough to have Sonic's ability to move his legs back and forth really fast--you also need his grasp of his environment.

Once you understand what Sonic understands that allows him to go fast, you can go fast, too.

No, I've played all the classic Sonic games.  Just, not at the point when they were super-popular (outside of messing around with Sonic 2 infrequently as a kid when I was over at friends' places, and generally failing hard at Chemical Plant Zone 2), and more when I was more critical of game design and such.

I have no problems with explorative platformers.  That's what Mario started to become, at least once the ratchet scrolling of Super Mario Bros. was out of the way and you had a bit more freedom of movement.  And I love speed blitzing my way around Megaman X and Zero, after I've gotten used to the stage layouts.

But Sonic's level design simply doesn't fly with me as being at all representative of who he is, and how he's portrayed outside the actual gameplay.  He's a "gotta go fast" guy, never once second-guessing his actions and always blazing forward at full clip.  He navigates hazards like he's got a sixth sense for danger.  The gameplay doesn't make you feel like that Sonic whatsoever.  You can only go full speed essentially if you have a map?  That doesn't sound like Sonic at all.  And as I mentioned earlier, most of the level design of those classic games wound up forcing you to slow down rather than speed up.  All those manually cranked elevators in Chemical Plant and Casino Night, and waiting around for block staircases to shift into the right position and such.  The games felt like they were trying to impede your speed at all costs (which they kinda were, since full speed meant they had to design larger levels, which could cause loading problems), rather than let you be free.

#357 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 10883 posts

Posted Today, 03:48 AM

The people who PvP in FFXIV are complete idiots.

#358 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Let there be night, and damn the sun

• Supporter
  • 44035 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted Today, 05:04 AM

The people who PvP in FFXIV are complete idiots.

To be fair, most of them are bots.

#359 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 10883 posts

Posted Today, 06:22 AM

Than the bots could at least learn to attack healers.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users