Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

There's always a sense of irony to it, but what the ratio between irony (you really failed) and straightworwardness (at least you achieved something) is depends on the situation and the speaker.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:12 PM)

The meaning can be both literal (you succeed on one level but fail on another), or it can be utterly ironic (you fail in every regard but the most technical; or even worse, "you really gave your best"), and anything in between.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:10 PM)

For example: A singer can hit the notes really well, but clearly isn't a native speaker and what little of the lyrics you can make out sounds nothing like what it's supposed to be.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:06 PM)

The premise seems to be the mixing of technical and aesthetic technical qualities towards the overall success.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

But both "hollow victory" and pyrrhic victory" are referring to having lost as much as you've gained. IE; a battle was won but both armies were destroyed. The town being seiged is victorious, but all the soldiers are still dead. Nevermore's concept is more "You did it, but it's so ugly we don't know if you actually succeeded".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Alternately, one could probably also call it a "hollow victory".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Example: In the Powerpuff Girls episode "Uh Oh Dynamo", the monster-of-the-day was a really tough, giant-size one that required the use of a really destructive mech to defeat it. While the monster was ultimately beaten, the city of Townsville was utterly trashed by the mech's weapons in the process. So, while the city was saved from the monster, it was harmed even worse by the mech that saved it, making the victory bittersweet.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:32 AM)

@Nevermore, sounds to me like what one might call a "bittersweet victory". The goal was met, but at great cost or by disastrous result that call into question if the achieved goal could even be called a success.

@  Arvegtor : (10 November 2019 - 09:40 AM)

Seems to be close enough to "Pyrrhic victory"

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

What do you get from putting the German term through a translator?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 08:57 AM)

That is a ridiculously interesting concept. But I don't think english has a singular term for what you're describing.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 08:28 AM)

Is there an English equivalent for what we Germans call "deductions in the B rating"? Context: Someone did something and suceeded on a technical level (as in, achieved the intended goal), but failed to some degree in the details, i.e. there was some collateral damage, or while a technical success, the end result is an aestetic failure. It can be used highly ironically, as in "barely achieved the intended goal, but failed so much in every aspect that's not purely technical that it might as well be considered an utter failure altogether." The German term is derived from the old judging syste in figure skating, which gave separate ratings for "technical merit" and "presentation", with the latter being the origin of the German term.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 November 2019 - 02:32 AM)

Huh. I did not know before today that "medieval" had an alternate spelling "mediaeval". Like "paleontology" and "palaeontology".

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 November 2019 - 04:15 PM)

'Beast Wars in underrated' the comment went. I exploded.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Absolutely.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

So... you can look like a cop from the 70's AND a huge nerd at the same time?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:09 PM)

I feel like the best way to carry the Switch would be an under-arm torso holster.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 12:31 PM)

It's not. hell. If the 3DS zelda case just stretched a LITTLE more it would fit.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 November 2019 - 03:38 AM)

I feel like the Switch Lite is a bit big to have hanging on your belt like that, but I don't take my Switch out with me often anyway.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 01:13 AM)

I must be the only one who wants a switch lite case with a belt loop. o.O

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 November 2019 - 03:03 PM)

I'm gonna have "Chainsaw Buffet" and "Candy For the Cannibal" by Lordi playing in my head all night.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 November 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Trick or treaters can only consent to cannibalism in Germania.

@  Sabrblade : (07 November 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Hey, if the trick or treaters can't take some loving insults, that's their problem.

@  Arazyr : (07 November 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Just make sure to put the leftovers in the fridge, so they don't get spoiled.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I love children... but I can never eat a whole one.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 November 2019 - 09:52 AM)

I can neither confirm nor deny this allegation.

@  Paladin : (07 November 2019 - 09:46 AM)

...you don't roast the trick or treaters, do you....

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 09:38 AM)

A cold beer, a warm fire, some smores and trick or treaters... Man, you got this life thing down.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

That actually sounds pretty awesome.

@  MEDdMI : (07 November 2019 - 08:59 AM)

we'll move to the open garage if it's raining

@  MEDdMI : (07 November 2019 - 08:58 AM)

every Halloween since we got a house, TMM and I chill in the driveway with a fire bowl and roast things while handing out candy. It's pretty great.

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 November 2019 - 03:42 AM)

Peter Cullen voiced King Kong let that sink in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 November 2019 - 11:42 PM)

I've noticed that after a year or two, though, people with children will start getting into it for their kids

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 November 2019 - 11:41 PM)

I think a lot of the decline you see in Halloween is due to newcomers to Canada who don't really get it... I mean,there are only a handful of countries in the world that practice this particular oddity

Photo

Unpopular gaming opinions

426 replies to this topic

#301 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10600 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:42 PM

ET was the best atari game ever.

#302 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19338 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:50 PM

How many pen-and-paper RPGs lack dice, stats, or other ways to track numbers? How many rely on using books full of charts for reference? The only "nuance" that differs is that a video game doesn't have a human GM, it has a programmed code. It still comes down to numbers. And, really, if you're just power-leveling in a video game to overwhelm things with numbers, rather than actually learning how the game works and actually playing it, then you've killed the challenge yourself. (And the only reason you can't do that in a tabletop RP is that the GM will get bored and stop you.)

Basically, I disagree not because of your opinion, but because your argument is based on a fallacy.

I did cover that before as well. 

The difference between pen-and-paper and console RPGs is that P&P allows for "true" choice.

Fans joke about the early Pokemon episodes - "Pikachu! Use Thunderbolt on Rhydon's horn!  It's a lightning rod!" - for not accurately representing the game's mechanics properly.  But that's the kind of thing you can do in P&P.  Creative, outside-the-box thinking can bring victory just as much as playing the numbers game can.

CRPGs lack that ability for nuance.  They can't give the player all the theoretical applications for casting a lightning bolt spell.  It's just a means to do damage, and nothing more.  When you boil the game down to purely numbers like that, then again, the choice becomes purely binary.  It's either the right choice, or the wrong choice.  There's no "Wow, unconventional strategy, but I'll reward you for your chutzpah".  It's "fire heals the fire elemental, stupid!", because the game doesn't have a mechanism to realize that you were trying to deprive the monster of oxygen by starting an even bigger inferno within the enclosed cave.

And that's where it all comes right back down to illusion of choice again.  You may have 50 different moves and spells at your disposal, but in any given circumstance, only one of those is probably numerically "correct".  You can write that solution down, pass it around, and everybody and their grandma can now beat that game following the exact same set of instructions.

And because I feel that it keeps getting lost in the argument, I feel I need to reiterate here that my arguments pertain only to pure turn-based, menu-based combat.  The moment any other elements are added to the mix, then my stance considerably softens (doesn't mean I'll give it an automatic pass, just that I'll be more willing to entertain their idiosyncrasies).  Final Fantasy's ATB system adds urgency to your choices (at least when played on "Active" mode.  If the game gives you the option to "Wait", then we're back at the base problem again) with a time limiter.  Mario RPG/Paper Mario action commands add an element of reflex testing.  Strategy RPGs typically add unit positioning as a major factor in how the math plays out, and as long as the CPU doesn't perform moves in a scripted way, then that can disrupt a winning formula. Small little things like that make a big difference.  Literally anything that can disrupt the binary win/lose system that isn't just horrific RNG.

You can throw around words like "fallacy", but I think I've outlined my reasonings on the matter well enough.  Feel free to provide examples where a game may subvert my expectations, because I feel like I've played enough of those types of games over the years that I pretty much have "seen it all".

Edited by mx-01 archon, 08 February 2019 - 04:06 PM.

#303 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Mummy...?

• Supporter
  • 18244 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:33 PM

Gee, who would have thought that, if you strip away all the fun from a game's mechanics, they're really boring?

nzo8WYb.png

#304 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6697 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:34 PM

Saying turn based combat is "press win button, or press lose button" is pretty silly. Chess is turn based combat. With solid game design turn based combat can easily be as, if not more deep when it comes to game mechanics or strategy.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#305 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19338 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:48 PM

Gee, who would have thought that, if you strip away all the fun from a game's mechanics, they're really boring?

That's rather precisely the problem, isn't it?

For me, that describes precisely the enjoyment that I get from turn-based RPGs anymore.  Once you get past the glitz and glam of the unique attack animations, that's all that's left.

I mean, you can boil Super Mario Bros. down to "all you do is hold right and press the jump button occasionally", but that rather betrays the level of skill and difficulty behind performing those actions and the precision required to actually win.  Practice, practice, practice.  The game actually challenges you.

But you break an RPG down in that way "hold X to win.  If fighting Ice enemy, instead move cursor down to 'Fire', and THEN hold X to win",  That's precisely the roadmap to victory.  There's no real nuance to it.  There's not much separating the capability of a "professional" gamer and a newbie with a guidebook.  If you properly understand the mechanics behind it, then the game cannot possibly challenge you because it specifically slows down and gives you the time to make the right choice, every time.

I feel like I've struck a nerve because these systems are a core of a lot of beloved classic games, and even a lot of new ones.  But I've played enough of them over the years that I've become jaded by that lack of innovation, and as an adult, I have no love for the time sink they represent without providing a level of gameplay that I can feel personally rewarded by.

Saying turn based combat is "press win button, or press lose button" is pretty silly. Chess is turn based combat. With solid game design turn based combat can easily be as, if not more deep when it comes to game mechanics or strategy.

I think you've missed the point here.  It's not just the turn-based structure that holds them back, it's also the effectively  binary nature of the choices presented to you.  No CRPG requires you to plan 20 moves ahead.  You just have to be able to handle the very next thing being thrown at you, which is something that's frequently broadcast to you if it's something that's going to be actually game-ending.

Edited by mx-01 archon, 08 February 2019 - 07:26 PM.

#306 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Mummy...?

• Supporter
  • 18244 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:46 PM

I feel like I've struck a nerve because these systems are a core of a lot of beloved classic games, and even a lot of new ones.

I'm just laughing at you because you come off like a coffee shop hipster.

Like, I'm imagining you saying all this while lounging in a faux grunge decorated cafe with a title like "Le Petite Ennui", dark purple beret on head, unpronounceable coffee in one hand, tiny cigarette in the other, while you explain to the waitperson that "Turn-based RPGs just don't have the capacity to excite me anymore. There's just no real challenge!  Just press the right button and you win! Trust me, I've seen it all, there's just nothing more for me to experience there."

Meanwhile they're wishing you'd just tell them what kind of stuffed croissant you want.

Stuffy French accent optional.

Like, I get it, you don't like turn-based RPGs and that's fine, but I don't know if you realize how much of a pretentious hack you come off talking about how you've seen it all and they're all played out and there's just nothing new to do with them. Like... maybe you just don't enjoy those kinds of mechanics? It's entirely possible to just dislike something. It doesn't have to be a deeply insightful commentary on an entire genre and its inability to provide lasting value, because... and I'm not sure if you've noticed, there are a lot of turn-based RPGs that have provided lasting value to a lot of people. So, like, maybe it's not so much that the turn-based RPGs are inherently unable to measure up to other types of games as much as you just don't respond to those mechanics?

And, like, if that's all you're trying to say, then that's cool. You can like or dislike what you want, but, like, maybe change your tactic a bit, because it's not doing you any favors.

nzo8WYb.png

#307 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19338 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:16 PM

Umm, okay?

I know fully well that I'm not going to convince everyone, or anyone, since that's the nature of this thread in general, to post opinions that likely don't have mainstream support.

But I'm not here to just fart out an incendiary opinion and just walk away.  I try to provide my reasonings and details so that others can try to understand my logic and reasoning, and hopefully provide talkback, because I'm legitimately curious as to how other people react to the subject.

I've probably come off as a bit standoff-ish and belligerent about the topic because I'm not getting the talkback that I've actively solicited.  From my standpoint, you are the elitist hipster who's so convinced he's right that he won't bother to entertain the other side.  To try to discuss a topic seriously, and have you and Andrusi come out and say that they're actually laughing/scoffing is just rude.

What elements have I missed that make my opinion "wrong"?  What does a turn-based system do that nothing else can do?  What evolutions/improvements have been made to the system over the years that I may have glossed over, that you feel provide the level of depth that I may not be giving a fair shake?

#308 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10600 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:53 AM

Who the hug cares.. you don't like it, others do. Move on with your goddamned life and let people enjoy things.

Jesus

Edited by Glenn, 09 February 2019 - 06:53 AM.

#309 Caldwin

Caldwin

Cool but crude

• Supporter
  • 24880 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:11 AM

I never really cared for mods on Skyrim. Aside from official DLC, I'm just fine with vanilla.
PSN = Caldwin Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#310 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 22564 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:04 AM

Who the hug cares.. you don't like it, others do. Move on with your goddamned life and let people enjoy things.

Jesus

The literal intent of this topic is for people to air their opinions like this, and while I may or may not agree with him, (I dunno about the former, and I agree with the latter, with the proviso that Archon check out Sonic Colors or Generations that more or less do everything he's looking for.) he is well within his right to A) Just say he dislikes a thing, and B) Explain why he dislikes a thing. The ridicule is unnecessary and kind of against the spirit of the topic.

Also, Skyrim is a garbage game with a garbage plot, garbage characters, and garbage game mechanics. =P

Edited by Cabooceratops, 09 February 2019 - 08:06 AM.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#311 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22351 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:12 AM

I actually like the vague nonsense in Kingdom Hearts.

The only thing I really don't like is spreading the story out to ancillary games that at the surface make no goddamn sense, but are actually vital to the story.

Spoiler

But other than that, god I love the vague bullshit. It's stupid, but fun.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#312 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10600 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:02 AM

Jesus

The literal intent of this topic is for people to air their opinions like this, and while I may or may not agree with him, (I dunno about the former, and I agree with the latter, with the proviso that Archon check out Sonic Colors or Generations that more or less do everything he's looking for.) he is well within his right to A) Just say he dislikes a thing, and B) Explain why he dislikes a thing. The ridicule is unnecessary and kind of against the spirit of the topic.

Also, Skyrim is a garbage game with a garbage plot, garbage characters, and garbage game mechanics. =P
which they both did.. and then repeated themselves.. and then had to have the 'who was right' battle.. and started insulting each other.. meanwhile the rest of us are just trying to enjoy the thread while those two have to measure their e-peen by getting the last word.

And yes on the Skyrim sucking stuff

Edited by Glenn, 09 February 2019 - 09:08 AM.

#313 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Mummy...?

• Supporter
  • 18244 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:19 AM

Correction: I am laughing at him waving his E-Peen around like it makes his opinion more meaningful.  Which, honestly, seems completely in keeping with a thread about spitefully mocking things you don't like.

And, yeah, Skyrim is a pretty garbage game.

Edited by The Doctor Who, 09 February 2019 - 09:19 AM.

nzo8WYb.png

#314 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46496 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:38 AM

Not sure why a thread entitled "Unpopular gaming opinions" that results in an unpopular opinion being voiced un-ironically is justification for dog piling said opinion giver. Especially not after a member of the staff effectively said "Cool It."  Nothing says "moral superiority" quite like mocking personal attacks on another poster, right?

Also to buck the trend since I'm working yet again to see myself through the game, Skyrim's a dang solid game and a fine entry into the franchise proper. Skyrim's fault was the sheer ambition of it and the arbitrary launch date. Where the game is polished, it's very polished - ie the Thieves Guild quest chain and the city of Whiterun and how its citizens interact with each other and have individual stories. Where the game is rushed, it is VERY rushed - ie the Companions having the faintest outline of a story with absolutely zero substance to it (two major faction characters die with barely a impact), and the city of Falkreath (Which doesn't even have a city story like Dawnstar, Morthal, or Markarth and isn't home to a faction like Whiterun, Riften, and Winterhold).

#315 Caldwin

Caldwin

Cool but crude

• Supporter
  • 24880 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:52 PM

So the unpopular part of my opinion wasn't that I like Skyrim without mods...it was that I like Skyrim.
PSN = Caldwin Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#316 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 26938 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:21 PM

I've probably come off as a bit standoff-ish and belligerent about the topic because I'm not getting the talkback that I've actively solicited.  From my standpoint, you are the elitist hipster who's so convinced he's right that he won't bother to entertain the other side.  To try to discuss a topic seriously, and have you and Andrusi come out and say that they're actually laughing/scoffing is just rude.

Okay no. First of all, I wasn't part of the discussion in December when you started going on about how you can only lose in a turn-based JRPG if you ignore context clues and play like an idiot (your words) and anyone who says a boss is difficult in any such game is wrong and just going off half-cocked 100% of the time (again, your words) so it's impossible for me to be to blame for how you're coming off. Second, that is not a thing I ever said. I made a joke about how you'd expressed two opinions I didn't like, and you apparently decided that this meant I, personally, was now obligated to give you the "talkback" you wanted. And then I said "no, it was a joke" "no, seriously, it was a joke" "no I'm really not interested in this discussion." But it turns out I'm even less interested in having my name dragged through the mud like this, so here. Here is all the talkback I have to offer.

/clears throat

You appear to have a very specific image in your head of What Turn-Based JRPGs Are Like, which is "you grind up to the appropriate level and then spam attacks with a type advantage until you win," and I can't think of one I've played in the past fifteen years that fits what you've described, except maybe Pokémon (and even then, always having something super effective to spam is gonna take a lot of grinding, well past what I'd think would be the "surely this isn't how the game is meant to be played" point). Now, initially, I didn't think that was literally what you meant. I thought you were simplifying for the sake of snappiness and what you meant was, essentially, that strategizing in a video game isn't a skill or challenge unless you have to do it fast (which, if taken as a given, makes your point tautological). You said various things that seemed to support this interpretation, like "more layers of 'complexity' just create extra steps in that formula" and the thing you've repeated a couple of times about how you can just follow a strategy someone else gave you.

But then you said two things that didn't seem to fit:

Strategy RPGs typically add unit positioning as a major factor in how the math plays out, and as long as the CPU doesn't perform moves in a scripted way, then that can disrupt a winning formula.

No CRPG requires you to plan 20 moves ahead.  You just have to be able to handle the very next thing being thrown at you, which is something that's frequently broadcast to you if it's something that's going to be actually game-ending.

Unit positioning in a strategy RPG is no less something you can write down and hand off to a newbie than anything you can do in a menu (at least in the strategy RPGs I've played--I guess there are probably ones out there where you don't get the nice exact movements you'd need). Similarly, needing to plan 20 moves ahead doesn't prevent someone from just telling you what those 20 moves should be.

So... does this mean you really are approaching this with the belief that JRPG strategies are always on that level? Because like I said, I haven't played one recently that fit that description. I'm always managing buffs and debuffs or status ailments or something series-specific like Octopath Traveler's boost points and shield counters.

If that's not it, then I'm afraid I don't really understand what it is you actually want, out of either a JRPG or this conversation. Maybe it would help if you gave us an idea of what games you're actually thinking of?

#317 unluckiness

unluckiness

curry on rice

• Citizen
  • 19713 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 14 February 2019 - 03:16 AM

Final Fantasy VII is hideous even compared to its contemporaries with a boring, generic story.

Aside from the implied forced bestiality I guess

VIII is the best children's card game game ever.

Edited by unluckiness, 14 February 2019 - 07:56 AM.

xOyvpt9.png

#318 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8669 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:02 PM

Resident Evil is a dumb name for the series. I get why the first game was called that because it took place primarily in a big scary house (i.e the titular "residence"). Not so much the rest of the games.

Capcom got right the first time with Biohazard.

Edited by Pale Rider, 16 February 2019 - 09:05 PM.

#319 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Chariot of the Big Sister

• Citizen
  • 3759 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 12:48 AM

Resident Evil is a dumb name for the series. I get why the first game was called that because it took place primarily in a big scary house (i.e the titular "residence"). Not so much the rest of the games.

Capcom got right the first time with Biohazard.

It was cool how both versions tied the two titles together for 7... though the Japanese one (Biohazard 7: Resident Evil) still made more sense within the context of that one game compared to the US one (Resident Evil 7: Biohazard), which just ends up sounding like it describes every game in the series. :p

#320 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 42308 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:01 AM

The series has been going on so long, and been in so many locations, you could infer that the evil HAS taken up residence in the world.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users