Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (12 December 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Morten Harket of A-ha might have aged 35 years on the outside, but his voice is still pretty much the same as it was in 1984. That's some great training and exercise for you.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 December 2019 - 06:59 PM)

Depends entirely on how badly you cooked them. What?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Can it raise the dead?

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Cheddar can do just about anything.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Cream cheese has to be on a bagel or crackers.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:31 PM)

(for example: I like Swiss cheese on sandwiches, but find it merely tolerable by itself)

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:30 PM)

I mean are you eating it by itself? With crackers? On a sandwich?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

I would ask, but I'd rather not know.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 03:38 PM)

With my mouth, usually.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 08:48 AM)

Depends on how you're eating it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 01:40 AM)

Havarti, without a doubt.

@  Greebtron : (12 December 2019 - 01:28 AM)

Not Don, thanks. I'd like a writer who actually cares enough to do the job properly

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 09:34 PM)

What's your favorite cheese? I'm not sure, but it's hard to beat muenster.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:10 PM)

Man I wish IDW could do a season 2.5 with a few writers like Michael Charles Hill or Donald F Glut or Paul Davids involved.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 04:33 PM)

They were looking for Skids, but the animators forgot he existed again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 02:58 PM)

He regrouped with Omega Supreme, the Dinobots, Skyfire and the Protectobots.

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 08:20 AM)

Did he get infected with the rest of the Autobots or did he smartly remain off-planet?

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 05:38 AM)

He really just went to the beach for a couple of days, then called it in. Who's gonna follow up on it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:05 AM)

Anyone really believe Cosmos searched far enough for more ingredient for Corrostop?

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2019 - 03:48 AM)

Oh, we are pretty good at "forgetting" about that. Insisting on sending people home on their overtime, THEN suddenly rushing to do the "backlog" stuff when it's really overdue.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 December 2019 - 05:43 PM)

I've yet to find an organization which didn't have a backlog of "stuff" that needs to be done, but isn't important enough to put on the schedule proper.

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 December 2019 - 05:01 PM)

I'm sure most good/bad (depending on your POV) bosses would be able to find something for the worker to do, in most cases, even if it's spending 8 hours pretending to push a broom around

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 December 2019 - 04:39 PM)

Still better than American jobs. x.x;

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 December 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I'm pretty sure you've already mentioned this before. Especially that last one.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:05 AM)

That can be fun if you're strong-willed enough. "Hey, you want to go home? Overtime reduction, there's nothing to do..." - "Nah, not today. I want to work."

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:04 AM)

This applies to the field of work as well. Meaning, your boss orders you to show up for a full shift, you show up on time and are absolutely willing to work, and then your boss realizes he has no work for you, your boss has to pay you for a full shift even if you don't work at all.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:03 AM)

Fun fact: German law has a concept named "default in acceptance", which postulates that if there is a "service for payment" contract, the party that should provide the service correctly offers their due service, and the party that should pay fails to accept the service within due time, the second party still has to pay the first party even if there was no service delivered.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:54 PM)

If it's seasonal affective disorder, check with your doc about vitamin D supplements.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:46 PM)

That's what I was thinking too, It's the christmas rush and if that's not stressful enough the cold weather can also impact mental health.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 12:41 PM)

Might be a stupid question given the comment, BUT: have you done anything outside the ordinary lately? Might just be a stress reaction.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:29 PM)

I've experienced sleep paralysis with ghostly images and similar things in the past and can snap out of it through moving my fingers. I've definitely hallucinated before and members of both sides of the family have had similar experience, some suffered forms of mental instability in two cases schizophrenia.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:47 AM)

So... either a hallucination or night terrors. Are you prone to this kind of thing?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:55 PM)

It kept repeating until I sat up.

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:54 PM)

I've been up since three and when sheepish I was hallucinating something knocking twice against my bedroom door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 December 2019 - 06:58 PM)

Then repaint Apeface and Snapdragon as Transmetal Optimus Primal and Megatron. It's crazy enough to work.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Moral imperative.

@  Nevermore : (07 December 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Wishful thinking, rumor or leak?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

Snapdragon for Earthrise.

@  TM2-Megatron : (04 December 2019 - 10:22 PM)

Still not the weirdest thing a Nic Cage character has done in a film

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 December 2019 - 04:00 PM)

Couldn't be worse than him pissing fire as Ghost Rider.

@  Rycochet : (04 December 2019 - 03:38 PM)

The Tim Burton Superman Movie is the DC movie we deserve. It would have Nic Cage in a technosuit punching polarbears.

@  Paladin : (04 December 2019 - 02:59 PM)

Wonder Woman was great. Shazam was amazing. Aquaman... exists.

@  RichardT1977 : (04 December 2019 - 01:54 PM)

TBF, Aquaman and Shazam! were pretty good.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 December 2019 - 01:00 PM)

Not a difficult feat.

@  Benbot : (04 December 2019 - 11:50 AM)

You just put more effort into telling a compelling story than all of WB's execs.

@  Cybersnark : (04 December 2019 - 11:41 AM)

Cue the flashback to Jonathan, reassuring a terrified child: "What you are is never as important as who you are." Cue Superman's response to Brainiac: "I already know who I am."*John Williams fanfare plays*

@  Cybersnark : (04 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

I don't think we even really need to see Krypton. I'd start with Clark growing up in Kansas, thinking he's normal, and follow him through the development of his powers. There've been enough alternate takes on Krypton that it could actually work as a mystery; is this the pre-Crisis utopia, the sterile science world, or the relic of a fallen empire? Brainiac was there, and he tempts Clark with the knowledge of what he really is.

@  Otaku : (04 December 2019 - 11:12 AM)

First, a Krypton film, ending with baby Kal-El being found on Earth.  Then Supe's early career film, establishing his values... and if Jonothan Kent needs to die, it happens because of something like a heart attack while Clark is savnig folks on the other side of the world.  After we know Clark minimizes property damage and never kills, have Zod & Company show up and force him to make tough choices.

@  Otaku : (04 December 2019 - 11:07 AM)

Man of Steel seems like someone came up with a Superman trilogy and then the execs said "We've got to catch up to Marvel, make it one film!".  I don't mean that based on the film's actual pacing, but because various story beats make more sense to me if they weren't all squished together.

@  Cybersnark : (03 December 2019 - 07:44 PM)

I've been wanting to write a Superman movie trilogy for years; "Man of Steel" (featuring a Terminator-like Brainiac) was going to be first, with "Last Son of Krypton" (featuring the Eradicator) as the sequel and "Man of Tomorrow" (in which Luthor makes his face-heel turn) as the conclusion. Thanks to Snyder I have to re-arrange my titles.

Photo

Unpopular gaming opinions

426 replies to this topic

#281 Boss Borot

Boss Borot
  • Citizen
  • 4576 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:01 AM

i don't like Banjo Kazooie.  i can't pin it down to one specific thing but i just don't like it. 

I absolutely hate the "voices" in the game.

Almost the same with Okami, though I can stand them most of the time. Lovely game, but there's no way to speed up the talking in cutscenes, so loooong stretches of slow "wee wo wah wah wo wee werh wa" talk made me want to stab things.

#282 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19338 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:06 PM

Sonic is more of a... rhythm game, I guess, than a platformer. At least, if the level is well designed. Otherwise it's just a really bad platformer. A Sonic game shouldn't be too difficult to just play through; if you want to get all the red rings or S-ranks, you can make it hard, but for just getting through all the levels, make it be pretty easy. Sonic is fun when you're going fast, and when you don't know a level, it's only fun when it's easy. And I'd argue that it's a lot more difficult to design a good Sonic level than it is a standard platformer level.

See, that's pretty much what I want.  Rayman Origins/Legends, and Prince of Persia 2008 are essentially rhythm games disguised as platformers (except Rayman Legends' "end of world" levels, which are rhythm games disguised as platformers presented as a rhythm game...).  Sonic needs to be able to flow freely like that, to give you the impression of what it'd be like to live Sonic's shoes.

Sonic's actual games could be considered a rhythm game ... if you played those half blinded so you can only see the note half a second before it whips by you, and can't plan ahead for all future notes.   They're more like playing an actual instrument, as you stumble on each and every note until you finally memorize the whole thing.  Plus, you were promised Flight of the Bumblebee for the whole game, but instead you mostly get slow waltzes.  Instead of living Sonic's shoes, you're just a dude who put on Sonic's shoes for the first time and are tripping all over your damned self.

Edited by mx-01 archon, 06 February 2019 - 07:08 PM.

#283 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 26980 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 February 2019 - 03:59 PM

You know, it's incredible how you're going right down the list of gaming opinions I can't hugging stand. I can't wait until you tell us how nobody should ever play on easy mode.

#284 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Mummy...?

• Supporter
  • 18265 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:17 PM

I'm convinced that if Sega ever settled on one system for Sonic and just sat down and actually put the damn effort into making a series of games that gradually escalated it in a logical fashion, then just about anything they did with him would be gold.

But they're like the ADD kid in a candy shop "Ooh, that's a cool mechanic, wait what about that one, no wait we totally need character customization is this one!"

Edited by The Doctor Who, 07 February 2019 - 04:18 PM.

nzo8WYb.png

#285 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19338 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:53 PM

You know, it's incredible how you're going right down the list of gaming opinions I can't hugging stand. I can't wait until you tell us how nobody should ever play on easy mode.

???

Explain, please.

I mean, there's a reason these opinions are being posted in a thread about "unpopular" or "controversial" opinions, but proper talkback would be nice.

In this specific case, I'm not railing on "trial and error" gameplay in general.  There's a place for that, if that's what you're getting at.  Just that it doesn't fit the fantasy of the character, and I wish Sonic Team would recognize that instead of falling back on it because that's how the original games were.

Edited by mx-01 archon, 07 February 2019 - 05:09 PM.

#286 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8040 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:15 PM

i don't like Banjo Kazooie.  i can't pin it down to one specific thing but i just don't like it. 

I absolutely hate the "voices" in the game.
Almost the same with Okami, though I can stand them most of the time. Lovely game, but there's no way to speed up the talking in cutscenes, so loooong stretches of slow "wee wo wah wah wo wee werh wa" talk made me want to stab things.
I have never clicked the Like button faster than I just did.

#287 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8712 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:49 PM

The KOTOR games have not aged well.

#288 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 26980 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:48 AM

???

Explain, please.

I mean, there's a reason these opinions are being posted in a thread about "unpopular" or "controversial" opinions, but proper talkback would be nice.

In this specific case, I'm not railing on "trial and error" gameplay in general.  There's a place for that, if that's what you're getting at.  Just that it doesn't fit the fantasy of the character, and I wish Sonic Team would recognize that instead of falling back on it because that's how the original games were.

There are a number of specific gaming opinions I see sometimes that I find unpleasant for one reason or another, and one of them is what you said about turn-based JRPGs, and another is what you said about Sonic games, and I'm somewhat humorously hypothesizing that this is in fact what determines your gaming opinions. No deeper meaning than that.

#289 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19338 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:06 AM

I have no qualms with "easy mode".  I'm typically not so hardcore that I crank things up all the way either.  Usually just stick to Normal difficulty unless I really get into the game enough that I feel I can give it another spin on a harder mode.

That's not where I'm coming from at all.

With the turn-based RPG spiel, I was breaking down how the system forces a binary outcome.  Barring horrific RNG at play, purely menu-driven combat can essentially be simplified down to "press this button to win", and "press this button to lose".  In actual practice, sure, you might need a strategy of some sort to pull through, but it comes down to rote memorization and formula.  What I was trying to convey is that there is no path forward, no growing the genre anymore while being tethered to those constraints.  More layers of "complexity" just create extra steps in that formula.  It's all been played out before.  There's nothing new that can be done with it.  You can slap all the fancy graphics you want on it, a turn-based RPG without any sort of active timing element is always going to be about the win button and the lose button.

As for the Sonic rant, I think I just advocated for making Sonic "easier".  Or at least less unfair.  Less random blind deaths, more reflex testing.  I simply feel that that's more in the spirit of the character than what they keep trying to force.

If you could elaborate on what you consider "unpleasant", that might aid the discussion.  I'm just pointing out what I feel are massive flaws in design that most gamers have taken for granted.  Again, not expecting widespread support here considering the thread we're in, but the fact that your response seemed to suggest an actual "recoil in horror" at the things I've suggested has my curiosity piqued.

Edited by mx-01 archon, 08 February 2019 - 05:14 AM.

#290 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Mummy...?

• Supporter
  • 18265 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:50 AM

"It's all been played out before. There's nothing new that can be done with it."

"I've seen it all, there's nothing new to discover" - Billy, age 13

nzo8WYb.png

#291 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 26980 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:18 AM

I was making a joke, suggesting that the common thread that ties your gaming opinions together was that they're all things I'm tired of hearing, as if you selected them specifically for the purpose of making my day in particular a little more irritating.

I'm not particularly interested in actually engaging with you on either subject. In the case of the JRPG subject I'm not sure why anyone would be.

#292 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19338 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:56 AM

"It's all been played out before. There's nothing new that can be done with it."

"I've seen it all, there's nothing new to discover" - Billy, age 13

It's true though.  The only thing that you can change with pure turn-based system is to add/remove buttons, and throw a new coat of paint on it.

If you can change my mind, I'd like to hear it.  As far as I'm concerned, all the "advancements" made in games employing such a system have nothing to do with the battle systems at all.

Edited by mx-01 archon, 08 February 2019 - 11:57 AM.

#293 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

The devil tips his hat to me

• Supporter
  • 45595 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:00 PM

Next you'll say Pokemon is a simple children's game with absolutely no complexity that would keep adults coming back to it for 20+ years.

#294 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19338 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:10 PM

Not what I said at all, and I already sorta covered that in my in-depth rant a while ago.

Pokemon has plenty of other things to enjoy about it.  People enjoy the cute character designs.  There's an addictive quality to the collection aspect.  The evolutions and ability learning tickles the reward centres of our brain for the time we put into it.  For the hardcore gamers, the PVP aspect is surprisingly deep and nuanced.

Still doesn't change that it doesn't bring anything new to specifically the battle system.  It's Final Fantasy 1 all over again with its D&D-based spell cast limits, essentially.  Completing the story mode is dead easy as you simply abuse your strongest moves and one-shot everything.  The only thing the AI has to offer against you are battles of attrition.

I was making a joke, suggesting that the common thread that ties your gaming opinions together was that they're all things I'm tired of hearing, as if you selected them specifically for the purpose of making my day in particular a little more irritating.

I'm not particularly interested in actually engaging with you on either subject. In the case of the JRPG subject I'm not sure why anyone would be.

Sure, I guess.  Agree to disagree.

Again, I think it's just the nature of your response that piqued my interest specifically.  I'm just a bit "irritated" myself, in that the very nature of this thread is to try to be controversial.  And I've done that, and specifically laid out my reasoning for my opinions so that you could at least follow my logic.  But then a lot of the follow-up discussion has boiled down to "you're wrong", "Okay, but why?", "...you're wrong".  The point of being controversial is to foster a discussion, but I'm not actually getting a whole lot of that.

Edited by mx-01 archon, 08 February 2019 - 12:20 PM.

#295 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

• Supporter
  • 45595 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:23 PM

Platformers are just jumping on things to reach a goal.

Fighting games are just hitting the other guy until he stops hitting back.

Rhythm games are just matching button prompts.

First-person shooters are just running around with a gun.

I could go on.

#296 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5297 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:30 PM

We get it, people think he's wrong. He doesn't feel he's wrong. I don't entirely agree with what he says, but I sorta see where he's coming from. There is a core mechanic to turn based games he feels has been played out and can't be advanced anymore.

Doesn't matter if you don't see it that way, the point is HE DOES, but understands it's an unpopular opinion. I've been in this situation here many times myself.

What people are saying now does NOT feel like playful ribbing, or anything like that. It doesn't look like you're 'just having fun' to me. It looks more like you are ganging up on him because "How dare he doesn't think the way I do"

So can we all just calm down and agree to disagree?

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#297 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19338 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:33 PM

It's not really that either.  Just that I put a lot of effort into making it so that, even if you don't agree with me, that you can at least understand where I'm coming from, and that I'd at least expect a modicum of effort in the rebuttal to match.

I could go on.

If you go back to the original posts, it was never about boiling games down to their basest elements and giving them a laconic description as such. 

It's not about how simple games are, it's about what they can actually offer as "games".  All the other genres you mention test your reflexes and precision and sense of timing.  They require skill and can be "mastered".

Turn-based RPGs do not offer that.  They're a choose-your-own adventure with a steady stream of rewards attached to trigger your dopamine responses.  I don't personally find that much engaging anymore.  It rings hollow to me because I don't feel any real sense of accomplishment. 

Edited by mx-01 archon, 08 February 2019 - 12:45 PM.

#298 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Mummy...?

• Supporter
  • 18265 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:26 PM

Heavy must be the burden of the world on your shoulders,man.

I can only hope that, one day, you can learn to love again.

*incongruous J-Pop theme song*

nzo8WYb.png

#299 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 26980 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:54 PM

I was literally just in here to make a joke. If that somehow obligates me to a debate, then I'll delete the damn posts and leave.

I will make sort of a meta-point in that I'm getting the impression that you don't actually have much experience with recent turn-based JRPGs. Which is reasonable given your non-interest in the genre, but surely you can understand how this might affect how your arguments come across.

#300 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

• Supporter
  • 45595 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:00 PM

I could go on.

If you go back to the original posts, it was never about boiling games down to their basest elements and giving them a laconic description as such. 

It's not about how simple games are, it's about what they can actually offer as "games".  All the other genres you mention test your reflexes and precision and sense of timing.  They require skill and can be "mastered".

Turn-based RPGs do not offer that.  They're a choose-your-own adventure with a steady stream of rewards attached to trigger your dopamine responses.  I don't personally find that much engaging anymore.  It rings hollow to me because I don't feel any real sense of accomplishment.

I went back just now and reread your first post on the matter. Let me point out why I disagree.

Since I was last in here talking about Final Fantasy and other classic RPG stuff here, something else I'd like to bring up that I've had a lot of old-school gamers disagree with me in the past about:

Pure turn-based, menu-based battle systems are a relic of the past, and frankly need to stay there, at least in terms of forward-thinking game design (I mean, if the game is purposefully trying to be "retro", then I won't necessarily fault the design, even if I think there's a better way of doing it).

They came about as a way of emulating the sheer volume of options available to you in a pen & paper RPG, but it's impossible to replicate the nuance of those options. The end result is that such systems will always boil down to rote numerical superiority. You play with numbers advantage, you win. You don't, you lose. The long end of it is that there is no opportunity afforded for true challenge in the game. Just a series of gates guarded by numbers checks. If you can't beat a portion, just level grind until the numbers turn in your favour. The right and wrong course of action for every given scenario can be ascribed to formula.

How many pen-and-paper RPGs lack dice, stats, or other ways to track numbers? How many rely on using books full of charts for reference? The only "nuance" that differs is that a video game doesn't have a human GM, it has a programmed code. It still comes down to numbers. And, really, if you're just power-leveling in a video game to overwhelm things with numbers, rather than actually learning how the game works and actually playing it, then you've killed the challenge yourself. (And the only reason you can't do that in a tabletop RP is that the GM will get bored and stop you.)

Basically, I disagree not because of your opinion, but because your argument is based on a fallacy.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users