Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 August 2020 - 03:52 AM)

Others say Joe sat down at this pond next to these ducks but really there's just no place in this world for an old man and his ducks.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:48 PM)

Even worse when I can produce those verifiable facts at a later point, and then the other person simply claims the argument was the other way round (as in, I was actually arguing their position and vice versa).

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:47 PM)

I can argue with people about my versus their memory of events when verifiable facts are not readily available, though, and I get really annoyed when I'm capable of presenting a precise, step-by-step summary with multiple key points that can be used for future verification, and the other person just goes "nope, wrong" without going into detail.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:45 PM)

I forget things, and I misremember things. But when presented with verifiable facts, my reaction is more like "Huh, could have sworn it was like that", not "this reality is not my own".

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:43 PM)

I have an extremely good memory (which I have proven time and again), and even I can be mistaken.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 August 2020 - 06:40 PM)

Might be worth pointing out that it only became "Mandela Effect" and not just "I remembered this wrong" when a conspiracy theorist insisted it was proof of alternate timelines.

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Incorrectly remembering Nelson Mandela's fate may be uniquely American... but is it really that strange to get South African political history wrong when you're no where near South Africa?

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

I always assumed the Mandela Effect was a "human thing", not an American thing.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Then there are people who outright manufacture memories for whatever reason.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (10 August 2020 - 01:13 PM)

The human brain is so flaky that it is extremely unlikely that a given person does NOT have any false memories.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Perhaps it's simple word association the movie Sinbad and then our minds apply the same memories to a man named Sinbad.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:04 PM)

The Mandela Effect is the same as people remembering Sinbad in a movie where he played a genie... Of which he never did.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:36 AM)

People that believe Mandela Effect things would rather come up with any number of reasons as to why their version doesn't have any actual evidence(like alternate timelines collapsing into our own) than just admit they remembered something wrong

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Sort of. It's more that when presented with a verifiable fact, they double down because it's what they believe instead of changing their minds

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

"I could have sworn that ______."

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

I'm not arguing with either of those two statements, but they're not really connected. Mandela Effect is, to oversimplify, people being widely mistaken about what they think *is* a verifiable fact. Nothing to do with opinions.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 08:52 AM)

Pretty sure the Mandela Effect in general is an American thing. Opinion > Verifiable Facts is sadly a pretty American thing

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:27 AM)

Ask these people how Apartheid ended according to their recollection, and I'm sure they'll draw a blank.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:25 AM)

You got two black anti-Apartheid activists who were imprisoned by the oppressive regime. One died, the other was Nelson Mandela. It's not a far stretch that Americans who don't know many details about the history of other countries would mix up the two.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:24 AM)

My own theory is that these people are simply mixing up Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko, another South African anti-Apartheid activist, who did indeed die in police custody in 1977. There was an Oscar-nominated movie about his life starring Denzel Washington that came out in 1987, the same time frame these people claim remembering Mandela dying.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:17 AM)

I met a few people from South Africa, and they either never heard of the phenomenon at all, or only know of it from the internet. Apparently, it's completely unknown in South Africa, and it might even be entirely limited to the United States.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:16 AM)

So does anyone remember the "Mandela Effect"? I'm talking specifically about the original case where many people vividly remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 August 2020 - 03:16 AM)

Crisis of Corona.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

Photo
- - - - -

Prime (2010) General Discussion

49 replies to this topic

#21 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 15557 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:20 AM

they do, they're just relocated to be somewhere less punchable
Woooo!

#22 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 4009 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 04:18 PM

During the first season, I just lost interst, it was mainly down to the fact, it been a lot of eps, Megatron wasn't actually being a serious threat nor were the cons, just wondering about doing nothing major, when he came back, it was kind of cool but then the following ep, it was something that already been covered in TF in the past and held no meaning to the target age group as they are to young, it was to do with street racing, it was kind of the breaking point for me, I stopped watching until I learned of the titles for the season finally and that got me back in and I just went from there as season 2 was more structured with a desent plot, while the first season was more a drag with lack of plot aside from Megatron laying on a table for most of it! My biggest complaint about the series was the lack of a Cybertron to Earth story for most of the Autobots and how they made contact with the US groverment!

The toys were good, I got the FE OP, Bulkhead, Acree & SS, plus the two pack of OP & Megs, while in the main line, I got six copies of the vehicon drones, well actually seven but one broke, he had his head actually come away from his body, the peg snapped, thus that one plays the role of a dead con! I did get the voyager Megatron, he is easily one of the best voyager Megatron figures ever made, I did get the other cons aside from Skyquake & CJ, their limited time in the show didn't let the characters grow on me, I always felt CJ dead was completely meaningless and the character having a so called famous voice attached to it, a complete waste, if you want to have the shock value, you need to develop the character and give time for them to grow on the viewers, instead of just "Now you die as you aren't wanted any more!"

Looking back, I do think Prime was the last great TF show, for me, the so called sequel, RID2015 was an insuilt to such a good show with the change in animation style to something crummy that just turned me off and my love of TF has begun to wane a bit as the quailty of the shows raidly went downhill. Personally, I think TFP is the best TF show since Beast Wars, not just in look but story, thou the first season felt like there wasn't a soild plan in place beyond the pilot story. I doult we'll see anything like TFP or BW for many years to come, I'm just not really intersted in the current Cyberverse show, tried the first ep but just felt like it wasn't worth watching!

Anyway, with the third season of TFP, I thought it was pretty good at the time but reflecting upon it, now, the fact Predaking could transform was lodgical but there seems to have been a shift in focus of the show story as it was about gathering the bones and then suddenly the cons wanting to destory Predaking, simply because he could transform and talk! OP's voyager figure for the Beast Hunters line, was kind of cool but the dumb choice not to give him the fact plate just made me kind of dislike the figure, takara's use as Nemesis is superior, a simple change, makes for a great improvement, I put that down to the fact OP figure having the face but not the plate, just makes for a squished face that looks horrible to say the least but at least the vehicle mode is pretty cool!

Overall, TFP is a mixed bag like many of what came before, but at least they tried and produced a fairly desent series.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#23 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 18544 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 05:22 PM

I liked it a lot.

#24 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 26227 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:57 PM

they do, they're just relocated to be somewhere less punchable

Maybe it's like Krillin from Dragon Ball. A flat permeable surface with all the nose functionality hidden underneath.

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#25 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2785 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:51 PM

It had a lot of good ideas and well-realised characters...but it always seemed to lack a certain "spark" or personality to it that Animated had in spades.  I don't know what it was...it was like Animated or Beast Wars was run through a Michael Bay movies filter and it lost something important along the way.

But yeah, great, arguably the best on-screen versions of Ratchet, Arcee, and Ultra Magnus.

#26 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 12550 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:27 PM

It was at its best when it loosened up and let characters drive the episodes' narrative, and when it was at its best, it was at some of the entire franchise's best.

M "And Knock Out 300% Needs To Become A Legacy Character" Sipher

The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#27 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30644 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:30 PM

Rescue Bots was better.

Fight me!

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#28 Arcee Prime

Arcee Prime

Autobot

• Citizen
  • 331 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:41 PM

Loved this show, my second favorite after Beast Wars. Has my favorite Optimus Prime design ever, shame the actual character was the most boring on the show.

#29 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 27374 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:07 PM

actual character

Actual. Character.

Think about that.

#30 Aphel Aura

Aphel Aura

I see a red door and I want it painted black.

• Supporter
  • 1676 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:47 PM

I generally enjoyed this version of Megatron - there was just something genuinely gritty, menacing and brutal about him.

Upon repeated viewings, I stand by my opinion that the unmasked version of this Prime absolutely did not deserve the deep Cullen voice.  This unmasked Prime looked like a child, and having an deep adult voice coming out of a child's face was... 1000% disconcerting.  In every single scene.

QUOTE(The Doctor Who @ Nov 14 2012, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know there's a shortage of words in the world today, you should economize.

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Mar 21 2011, 10:13 AM)
LIFESTYLES ASSOCIATED WITH HONOR:
Samurai
Shipmaster
Klingon
Toy Collector

#31 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 3147 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:53 PM

Starscream and Ratchet were goddamn masterpieces.

Knock Out, Fowler, Airachnid, and even Miko were a lot of fun.

Soundwave got an awesome redesign.

Megatron throwing the car Vehicon overboard assuming it was a jet type is one of the best gags of the entire franchise.

"Stronger, Faster" took a cliched after school special plot and turned into into something wonderful.

But the show overall... eeehh. Season One was kinda boring but set up a lot of neat things, only for Season Two to tear it all down, and Season Three just felt aimless. The fact that Starscream's arc about him surviving out on his own just leads up to him becoming genuinely loyal to Megatron (an abusive bot with no apparent master plan) physically pains me.

Edited by Noideaforaname, 27 November 2018 - 10:53 PM.

#32 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

Creator of all things Transformers

• Citizen
  • 5511 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:23 PM

It had like 5 episodes that made the 55 boring ones worth it.

Because I saw the entire show online and thus cannot complain about quality.

#33 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 877 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:07 AM

Prime was definitely less than the sum of its parts. Characters were often the best representation we've gotten of them and where they weren't, it's usually because the best version is a crowded field. They even managed to pull off giving the voiceless characters loads of, um, character. The big red and blue exception is unfortunately Optimus, there's nothing wrong with having such a flat character if others play off that, but they didn't. Character animation was great, even if the backgrounds were often lacking, but it's a trade I'll happily take. It's not quite my favourite fight in the franchise, but The Wreckers vs Predaking is probably the most brutal fight we've had. Individual episodes could be great, and gave us some good variation in tone; the series did horror very well, for example.

It's just that, as a whole, it's... kinda boring? The show took itself far too seriously and was largely humourless. It only seemed excited in what it's dong when it's on a collection quest, and while it didn't necessarily spend that many individual episodes on it, but it was the well the show kept going back to.

Overall, I like it, but only in small amounts at a time.

#34 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 13477 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:10 AM

The series had fantastic animation, a top-notch voice cast and a number of great story ideas but definitely suffered from pacing issues.

(also, who do I have to bribe so 3P can start making us PROPER Knock-Out, Airachnid & Insecticon toys?! Still mad as hell about their terrible releases...)

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#35 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Aligned Continuity Beauty

• Supporter
  • 63289 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:13 AM

whoever it is, tell them I'll give them My money too 

#36 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 877 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:55 AM

I liked Airachnid's toy...

#37 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30644 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 28 November 2018 - 10:08 AM

A lot of the show's world-building also felt restrained by how Hasbro was handling the Aligned continuity as a whole at the time. Wanna find out more about the war? Sorry, you gotta go read some novels or play some video games for that. Wanna know how the Transformers came to Earth? Tough luck, we can't talk about that because something else might (nothing else ever did). What happened to the other Autobots who crewed the Ark after it launched? Well, first read a couple of novels that ultimately go nowhere, and then have some vague dialogue from Arcee about their having been "scattered to the wind", cuz we ourselves can't talk about that. Wanna know why there's so many Cybertronian relics on Earth? Have fun looking for a small aside about that given in the worst-written of the novels. Wanna know more about the big Autobot/Decepticon battle on ancient Earth that left a bunch of remains for Megatron in the present to create a big army of zombies? Pfft, not important! Wanna know all you can know about our world's greater history? Check out this here Covenant book instead, it'll tell you everything you didn't want to know, contradict a couple of things you did already know, and leave a bunch of other holes unfilled that you probably wanted us to fill but which we couldn't.

:wtf

Edited by Sabrblade, 26 November 2019 - 11:16 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#38 Chip

Chip

Machine Saurer, my strength / Only you can understand my heart.

• Citizen
  • 8242 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 10:27 AM

I liked it, but had little issues with the premise that kind of kept me from getting invested in it. The Vehicons either needed to be better explained or just be weirder; as it was, it just felt like we had disposable mooks because that's what you do, and that made the show less interesting. Starscream didn't seem powerful enough for his position, and wouldn't shut up about the one guy he ever killed. The show couldn't figure out its approach to violence and tone.

Jeffrey Combs is Ratchet forever. He has taken up residence in my mind. When I read my G1 comics, I hear Jeffrey Combs. When I read The Great Car Rally to my kids, I do a terrible Jeffrey Combs.

#39 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7708 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 04:22 PM

I know everyone (everyone!) moans about dull old Optimus but I never had a problem with him. It would have been great if he flashed a little more charisma here and there, sure. I really loved hearing Peter Cullen get to read lines that weren't in a Bay movie though. 

I liked Airachnid's toy...

No you didn't. You're just being a ratbag. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#40 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Citizen
  • 1101 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 28 November 2018 - 04:29 PM

I haven't watched it in a long time, but I seem to recall the show originally had the same issue as first season of Beast Wars. The Star Trek TOS alien planet bland environments look. That's all I can think of, but I hope to be watching it again in a few months, I'm sure I'll have something more to say then.
jBU1ixT.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users