Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 August 2020 - 12:37 AM)

Sour grapes for the next decade until Apophis hits.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:26 PM)

Thank yoo for vatching hydroolic pthress chan-nel.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:19 PM)

Hey, do you have any grapes?

@  Otaku : (11 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

I dunno... it sounds kind of quackers to me.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 August 2020 - 05:17 PM)

That would be nice....

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 August 2020 - 04:36 PM)

I wish I could just sit by a pond and watch ducks for a while.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 August 2020 - 03:52 AM)

Others say Joe sat down at this pond next to these ducks but really there's just no place in this world for an old man and his ducks.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:48 PM)

Even worse when I can produce those verifiable facts at a later point, and then the other person simply claims the argument was the other way round (as in, I was actually arguing their position and vice versa).

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:47 PM)

I can argue with people about my versus their memory of events when verifiable facts are not readily available, though, and I get really annoyed when I'm capable of presenting a precise, step-by-step summary with multiple key points that can be used for future verification, and the other person just goes "nope, wrong" without going into detail.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:45 PM)

I forget things, and I misremember things. But when presented with verifiable facts, my reaction is more like "Huh, could have sworn it was like that", not "this reality is not my own".

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:43 PM)

I have an extremely good memory (which I have proven time and again), and even I can be mistaken.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 August 2020 - 06:40 PM)

Might be worth pointing out that it only became "Mandela Effect" and not just "I remembered this wrong" when a conspiracy theorist insisted it was proof of alternate timelines.

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Incorrectly remembering Nelson Mandela's fate may be uniquely American... but is it really that strange to get South African political history wrong when you're no where near South Africa?

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

I always assumed the Mandela Effect was a "human thing", not an American thing.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Then there are people who outright manufacture memories for whatever reason.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (10 August 2020 - 01:13 PM)

The human brain is so flaky that it is extremely unlikely that a given person does NOT have any false memories.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Perhaps it's simple word association the movie Sinbad and then our minds apply the same memories to a man named Sinbad.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:04 PM)

The Mandela Effect is the same as people remembering Sinbad in a movie where he played a genie... Of which he never did.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:36 AM)

People that believe Mandela Effect things would rather come up with any number of reasons as to why their version doesn't have any actual evidence(like alternate timelines collapsing into our own) than just admit they remembered something wrong

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Sort of. It's more that when presented with a verifiable fact, they double down because it's what they believe instead of changing their minds

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

"I could have sworn that ______."

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

I'm not arguing with either of those two statements, but they're not really connected. Mandela Effect is, to oversimplify, people being widely mistaken about what they think *is* a verifiable fact. Nothing to do with opinions.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 08:52 AM)

Pretty sure the Mandela Effect in general is an American thing. Opinion > Verifiable Facts is sadly a pretty American thing

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:27 AM)

Ask these people how Apartheid ended according to their recollection, and I'm sure they'll draw a blank.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:25 AM)

You got two black anti-Apartheid activists who were imprisoned by the oppressive regime. One died, the other was Nelson Mandela. It's not a far stretch that Americans who don't know many details about the history of other countries would mix up the two.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:24 AM)

My own theory is that these people are simply mixing up Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko, another South African anti-Apartheid activist, who did indeed die in police custody in 1977. There was an Oscar-nominated movie about his life starring Denzel Washington that came out in 1987, the same time frame these people claim remembering Mandela dying.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:17 AM)

I met a few people from South Africa, and they either never heard of the phenomenon at all, or only know of it from the internet. Apparently, it's completely unknown in South Africa, and it might even be entirely limited to the United States.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:16 AM)

So does anyone remember the "Mandela Effect"? I'm talking specifically about the original case where many people vividly remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 August 2020 - 03:16 AM)

Crisis of Corona.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

Photo
- - - - -

A Mey Hem Thanksgiving: Never Say Seconds Again

Mey Hem play by post

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#1 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18321 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:27 AM

You venture upon a well worn but decently stocked private reading room. On the wall was a framed map of the know regions of Mey Hem. Sitting in a large leather armchair was a short, heavyset, dark skinned woman dressed in safari khakis, complete with pith helmet that covered her teal hair. Setting next to her was a piping hot mug of tea. Adjusting her spectacles, she peered over a tome before looking up to see you. Speaking in a Britstralian accent, she said, Greetings! My name is Professor Angela Quercus Oakley. I have recently come upon a record of a recent holiday excursion involving some associates of mine. While I have been alerted that within may be some exaggeration, presumably it is merely part of storytelling tradition instead of inaccuracies.

Well, if you're ready, let's begin. 'It was a crisp autumn day in Besseltrade and the leaves had begun to change...'

It was a crisp autumn day in Besseltrade and the leaves had begun to change. Beathra, Kage the Omega Knight, Howard, Night Cap, and Princess Destron were outside of the primary general store as a Ginny Summers excitedly showed them one of her drawings. Friday February looked on as Ginny exposited, "...and a lot of people like my fall drawings which is cool since we have a lot of folks coming through here with our harvest festival going and I'm glad y'all showed up since that makes things even better and will you we staying a long time or just a short time because either is fine but you might not want to miss out on a room since I'd hate for you not to have a place to stay."

Spoiler

Spoiler

#2 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18721 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 25 November 2018 - 03:38 PM

Beathra was only half listening to the young girl's stream of verbal concatenations, more drawn by the fall breeze which sung to him of the shifting seasons, to which the leaves danced an aerial waltz till they lay upon the ground.

In a voice which seemed to harken back to his former self, he murmured wistfully:

"Rustle leaves in drowsy trees,

As grass browns and flowers mourn,

Nature's passing, her sleep deceives,

While under winter blankets bourn."

nzo8WYb.png

#3 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

Holy Electric Boogaloo Batman! I think

• Staff
  • 14575 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:16 PM

Kage opened his mouth and tried to figure out how to get a word in between Ginny excited rambling and general stream of conciousness.

"Yes, your art is very good Ginny. I'm sure we'll be taking some home with us. Yes, we're definitely here for the festival and we will be staying. How long depends on what my friends have in mind, as well as whether anything unexpect4d crops up."

Kage ran and hand through his hair. Having let it grow out a bit, he was still getting used to the 'mullet'. His goatee however, was a neatly trimmed as ever. Dressed in long coat, black jeans, boots, shirt and Retribution across his back. Kage looked his usual not-quite-smart casual self. Feeling the cool wind over him, Kage took a deep breath of the bracing, autumnal air.

He was also hoping that this trip might let him learn a bit more about Howard.

fslookup.jpg

#4 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Aligned Continuity Beauty

• Supporter
  • 63290 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:30 PM

"Miss Ginny, I must remember to introduce you to the court's master orator when you come to visit. I do believe you could teach the old elf a few things."  Dee leans down and gives the girl a swift hug and whispers...   "He's actually a troll but don't let him know that you know, he's a little sensitive about it."  She winks at her before standing up.

Edited by Destron D-69, 25 November 2018 - 04:30 PM.

#5 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*Vader breathing*

• Administrator
  • 40848 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 08:36 PM

Night Cap is slightly dizzied by the small biped's verbal tornado but he's not caught quite so off guard this time. Like a lot of things, it's beginning to become familiar.

This place is definitely changing since his arrival. The season's changing, apparently without effort. He could get used to that. The place is growing festive. He doesn't recognize any festivities so far, but the feeling of festivity is deeply familiar. Today the place truly feels like home.

Nothing can ruin this day.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#6 Sunbeam

Sunbeam
  • Citizen
  • 2942 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 12:45 PM

Howard is listening to Ginny very intently, but it's hard to tell if he's processing any of it. He does, however, occasionally nod and throw in a "Ya."

#7 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18321 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:42 PM

Ginny responded to Dee with, "He is? Oh wow I know all different kinds of folk come through here like when all those elevs who were friends with EB stayed here for a while which was nice since they helped fix a lot of things and they were very nice like when they helped Mrs. Jessothy with some repairs but they're traveling right now so I don't know where they are but I hope they brought good food with them and what kind of food do y'all like?"
Spoiler

#8 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63290 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:40 AM

"I would, and could really enjoy a nice sandwich right now."  Dee says, moving a hand to her abdomen while making a pretend rumbling sound to amuse the young lady. 

#9 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18321 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:20 PM

Ginny laughed "Well, there should be plenty once people really get started cooking but for the moment I need to finish my drawings so I'll talk to you later." Pulling out a fresh sheet of paper, Ginny layed on her stomach and began sketching. Looking across the main street, the group could see the bustle and activity of Besseltree. Leaves were blowing about as a few friends gathered to talk. Mrs. Wikipie was petting a kitten. Moscareina sat in a chair across the street sipping from a coconut. Mrs. Jessothy swept out in front of the inn.
Spoiler

#10 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*Vader breathing*

• Administrator
  • 40848 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:52 PM

While he has grown tired of the mute act, today he finds it to be a powerful asset. Entertaining the hurricane-mouthed small biped gets to be someone else's responsibility.

The thought of what he may face if she were to discover his secret is pure terror.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#11 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18721 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:26 AM

Beathra surveyed the scene before them with quiet indecision, unsure if he should be the first to mention the moth in the room or not.  Would it be better to engage her directly or perhaps if they simply ignored her, she'd just become discouraged and leave?

After a moment, he ambled casually to Moscareina, gazing curiously at her coconut.

He said, "Madam, you must tell me where your produce comes from. There isn't a tropical climate for at least a hundred miles in any direction, yet that coconut is as fresh as if you picked from the tree this morning."

Then, with a grin, he added, "Don't you think it's a bit of a giveaway?"

nzo8WYb.png

#12 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 14575 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:07 AM

The idea of food was very appealing to Kage, as he had kinda skipped breakfast. He was about to ask, when he saw they an 'odd one out' in Besseltrade. Kage felt his hand twitch, in an attempt to go for Retribution. His left hand thus reached over to literally hold himself back. A move like that would not be prudent or practical. So, once the twitch (and his rising anger) had died down, Kage folded his arms and simply gave 'Mossy' a cold look, as her presence here was unlikely to be merely a chance meeting. Seeing Beathra approach her, Kage decided to wait and watch. Turning slightly, he spoke to Howard.

"So Howard, how are things in San Lorenzo and how have you been?"

fslookup.jpg

#13 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18321 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:59 PM

Moscareina took a long sip and then replied, "My fruit comes from lands of my own ownership that I bring with me wherever I can. I'd certainly love to grow my domain. Besides, it's not too much of a giveaway since most can't see me right now. As for you, you certainly seem to have grown cosmically since I last saw you. A concern I'll certainly have to keep an eye on.

Considering I hate all of you, I guess there's no point in beating around the bush, is there?"
She took a sip and paused, revealing a slightly awkward expression. "I need you and your friends' help."
Spoiler

#14 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 14575 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:55 AM

Kages eyebrows rose as he caught the end of 'Mossys' request. With a slightly unpleasant smile creeping across his face, Kage moved slowly across to join Beathra.

"You need our help?"

fslookup.jpg

#15 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18321 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:26 PM

"Loathe as I am to admit it.

There is a raider from Viknadia seeking to ascend to become a god of thievery and ill gotten gains. Such a thing crowds a pantheon and could cause problems. However, while I may not like asking for your help, I feel asking you is pertinent. Especially, you o Knight, considering just what a god of thieves could do to your line of work. 'Enemy of my enemy' and all of that. While details are masked from me, I know he seeks to perform a ritual using the Cornucopia of Grand Abundance, a powerful artifact he has recently stolen. Removing it from him should hopefully be enough to disrupt his plans."

In this, Dee could tell Cher felt a grudging agreement. Putting up with Moscareina's own machinations inadvertently hid other rising problems.
Spoiler

#16 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 14575 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:43 PM

"That seems a little, shall we say, altruistic than usual for you. Mistress of Decay and all.

What is it about this would-be 'Thief God' that prevents you from dealing with him yourself?"

fslookup.jpg

#17 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63290 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:09 PM

"As you say... my lady ... the heavens have already sought to prevent a new goddess from rising."  Dee's teeth are reflexively clenched ... but she lets the tension ebb away when she continues. "However, it would seem at least one of the Goddesses agrees with your assessment of this threat."    

#18 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18321 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:17 PM

Moscareina smiled and nodded to Dee. "See, the princess understands. I knew there were reasons I respected her despite wishing she were done away with.

He often travels with a group so a directed strike isn't as easy as I'd like. Especially since there are limits to what I can do on the physical plane. I'd certainly rather be disrupting this harvest holiday. However, bounty and giving are probably why he's likely to strike today."

Spoiler

#19 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18721 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:48 PM

Beathra nodded at Moscareina's comments.

"Aye," he said, "Spirits have but little direct power in the mortal world. Full gods, more, but they still cannot influence it directly... not without mortal assistance. Hence the need for followers... and hosts."

Turning to his companions, he added, "In any case, it is better to follow at the lion's tail than to run from its teeth." Here he turned to Moscareina, "What can you tell us about this man, though details are obscured.  Is there a name or perhaps a likeness we might follow up on?"

nzo8WYb.png

#20 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*Vader breathing*

• Administrator
  • 40848 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:20 PM

. . .

"Wait, is that the moth talking to us right now?"

B5ofTKU.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic