Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Pennpenn : (24 April 2019 - 03:05 AM)

It's like how the whole "alpha male" thing doesn't really show up in wolf packs in the wild.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 01:54 AM)

Aaaaand another myth busted.

@  CORVUS : (24 April 2019 - 12:27 AM)

Quite welcome! :)

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 09:51 PM)

@Corvus Huh, did not know that part. Thanks for imparting knowledge!

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 09:27 PM)

No because it's true.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 April 2019 - 09:17 PM)

Would I be jaded if i said that's a good lesson about people as well?

@  CORVUS : (23 April 2019 - 09:01 PM)

Overstated risk. Most observations of sexual cannibalism in the Praying Mantis occurred in captivity, versus nature. When entomologists began observing them in nature instead, they found that sexual cannibalism took place around 30% of the time. Basically, if a male Mantis avoids thin, hungry females, his chances are pretty good. #yesimanerd

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 07:52 PM)

Are you a male mantis?

@  MEDdMI : (23 April 2019 - 07:27 PM)

Death by snu snu

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 06:40 PM)

There's a joke about going out with a bang to be made here.

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 06:38 PM)

I would hope getting laid is preferred over dying :p

@  Nevermore : (23 April 2019 - 05:20 PM)

Don't we all want to get laid?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 04:53 PM)

I'd spend the first few loops just taking an extended nap.

@  Dekafox : (23 April 2019 - 04:48 PM)

Endless death time loops certainly happen enough in Star Trek

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 03:50 PM)

That's not what I had in mind but if that is what you would do in that scenario then that is pretty messed up. I would not want to be stuck in a perpetual loop of death. More like getting laid but that is just me.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 01:58 PM)

Happy death day to you!

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 01:45 PM)

.... I would love that. To be stuck in an endless loop where no one remembers what happened... The possibilities :D

@  ZakuConvoy : (23 April 2019 - 01:43 PM)

Are you stuck in a Groundhogs Day situation? Because if you are, you need to tell the rest of us so we can take advantage, too.

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 11:10 AM)

Lol today needs to end asap so that I can start over tomorrow

@  Ashley : (21 April 2019 - 10:08 PM)

They frequently do, but yeah there's no rule. Google will usually answer it for a specific restaurant, though

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 April 2019 - 02:57 PM)

Depends on the restaurant and the area. There's no universal rule about it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 April 2019 - 02:41 PM)

I thought restaurants were one of the few things that stayed open on holidays, along with movie theatres and the like

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (21 April 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Well here I am hungry on a Sunday afternoon and I head to Chipotle only to find out right then and there that the place is closed for Easter. Yay.

@  MEDdMI : (19 April 2019 - 09:21 PM)

oof, yikes. Good luck.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2019 - 09:18 PM)

We're in the middle of a kitchen reno and NOTHING will be done until tuesday. I could beat a four day weekend with a hammer right now if it meant I could use my stove again.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Can't beat 4 day weekends either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I prefer later shifts myself, but my 3 day weekend shift isn't bad. Nice to work without those administration busy bodies poking around.

@  Nevermore : (19 April 2019 - 04:12 AM)

Yeah, traffic is a plus as well. Rarely got any trouble getting to work on late shift (even with the neverending construction site on the highway), and when my shift is over, there's hardly any traffic at all anymore.

@  MEDdMI : (18 April 2019 - 06:27 PM)

while I don't have weekends consistently off, working 2nd shift isn't so bad. I'm more likely to do stuff before work than after (when I'm already tired). Plus no rush hour traffic

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 April 2019 - 05:03 PM)

Switching shifts constantly is never good for one's health. There was a time when I worked overnights steady for about 2 years; did wonders for my health, as well

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Don't miss early shift (and especially switching back and forth every two weeks) a bit.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Man, permanent late shift really has done wonders for my overal well-being. Never having to get up early for work, staying up late, weekends off... a ot of my coworkers think I'm crazy, but late shift is really my preferred shift.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:33 PM)

(My total lack of sleep on that day might have contributed, though.)

At noon, it was warm.

On Monday, we went on strike early in the morning, I was also wearing to jackets and gloves and my toes and fingers were freezing.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 April 2019 - 04:31 PM)

Nope, right now my days are doing that. Frigid at night (Well, just below zero, but still.) and warm enough to be always be ill prepared during the day.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Today it's so warm I had to take a shower to wash off the sweat after a lengthy bike trip.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

This past Friday I was wearing two jackets and winter gloves outside and took a hot bath when I returned home.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

Is "April weather" an issue in other countries as well, or is that specifically a German phenomenon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Well, when you understand the history of the area it make sense. It's basically a series of countries buying the place, moving in, saying "we rule you people now", and the locals shrugging and responding, "okay, you have fun with that".

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2019 - 07:58 AM)

When did we all turn into Henry Higgins?

@  unluckiness : (16 April 2019 - 03:16 AM)

To be fair, most Americans can't get the hang of English, so I can understand why.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:15 AM)

(And yeah, Calliope is a Greek muse, not French, but the street was named BY the French when they took over.)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:10 AM)

In New Orleans there's a bunch of streets with French names that are pronounced by locals with a more English emphasis, for example "Calliope Street" is pronounced "CAL-lee-ope".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 11:56 PM)

I figured as much for Canadians.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 11:37 PM)

hm; whenever I've heard people talk about the school they said it the same way as the cathedral...but I guess that's in Canada, so they're probably more familiar with the cathedral than the school

@  Dracula : (15 April 2019 - 11:11 PM)

There's plenty of place names in the US like that. Around here we have an "el doh-RAY-doh," and up north there's a Cairo that's pronounced "kay-roh"

@  RichardT1977 : (15 April 2019 - 09:56 PM)

Yeah, the common pronunciation of the University is probably the reason most Americans don't pronounce the Cathedral name correctly.

@  Arazyr : (15 April 2019 - 08:03 PM)

That's my understanding of how the two are supposed to be pronounced as well.

@  Echowarrior : (15 April 2019 - 07:42 PM)

When I'm talking about the cathedral, I say "noh-treh dahme". When I talk about the university, I say "noh-ter dayme". I don't see a problem with that.

Photo
- - - - -

Lion King remake - in theaters 19 July 2019

78 replies to this topic

#61 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 36042 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 26 November 2018 - 12:27 PM

Christopher Robin isn't a remake

Huh, and here I was convinced it was a remake of Hook.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#62 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 34123 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 01:13 PM

Christopher Robin isn't a remake

Huh, and here I was convinced it was a remake of Hook.
Right down to the part where Eeyore kidnaps his children?

#63 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6767 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 November 2018 - 04:24 PM

Forever terrified of the woozle that took his tail.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#64 Coke Bathtub Spirit

Coke Bathtub Spirit

SNORTSNORTGLUBGLUB

• Supporter
  • 4022 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:47 AM

I am cool with this as long as Mufasa actually looks like he was stampeded after he gets stampeded, all mangled and possibly covered in flies because I hear the flies are quick over there. 

And we better still get the "SEX" cloud, too.

You know who I am, David.

#65 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6032 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:34 PM

Actual live-action Lion King

#66 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 27453 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:03 AM

What's that clip from?

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#67 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64425 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:07 AM

I saw that clip a few days ago.  It's really nice that they watch out for each other like that.

ACItEK8.png

#68 Teufel

Teufel

• Supporter
  • 6032 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:41 AM

What's that clip from?

New BBC  nature documentary show Dynasties

#69 Teufel

Teufel

• Supporter
  • 6032 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:29 AM

A new trailer's out.

Many of your favorite scenes, now rendered in CGI.

It's impressive, but It just... doesn't shake the feeling I've seen all of this before. And the realistic look of the lions means as I watch this it just seems stripped of a lot of emotion than the '94 one had. I'm not looking at Scar's deliciously evil expressions, I'm looking at a blank lion face.

It's still impressive looking, especially compared to Disney's CGI efforts in the past like Dinosaur. Probably going to skip it in the theater but I'll definitely stream it and marvel at the technology.

#70 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1151 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:41 AM

My only issue with this is that Nala's hug me now face in Can You Feel the Love Tonight was bad enough cartoony, I don't need that hyper-real.
LOOKDOWN.png

#71 Boss Borot

Boss Borot
  • Citizen
  • 4525 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:42 PM

I really want to see it in the theater. I just hope the musical bits are good.

#72 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 2998 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:16 PM

It doesn't look to bad, thou I am more worried about the faces than anything, what I can see in the trailer, they all look kind of bland without any facal expressions, maybe if they release a small scene from the movie that showcases the facal expressions it will put my mind at ease, I will still see this in cinemas later this year and I think it will be one of the biggest movies of the year, out doing Captain Marvel or Shazam, but I do not think it will beat End Game as some people think.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#73 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16653 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:12 PM

It reminds me of "Farce of the Penguins," with Bob Saget dubbing dirty jokes over real nature footage. Except this joke isn't funny.

The whole point of animation is to portray things that don't happen in photorealistic life. Why did they even bother?

#74 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 2998 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:41 PM

It reminds me of "Farce of the Penguins," with Bob Saget dubbing dirty jokes over real nature footage. Except this joke isn't funny.

The whole point of animation is to portray things that don't happen in photorealistic life. Why did they even bother?

One word:

Money!

I think Disney simply lost their creative spark or obessed with trying to play it safe, which is why we got four live action remakes this year and only one animated sequel (excludes Marvel, Fox and Pixar films) In fact beyond the remakes, from what I can see, there is only one movie that is not a remake or a sequel which is: Artemis Fowl and its based upon a book. From the looks of things, next year we are in for, a sequel to Jungle Book, Mulan, another remake into live action and finally the Jungle Cruise which is not based on a book or taking older movie and making it live action, in fact its based upon a ride, my guess is, they are trying to see if they can spawn another series like the Pirates of the Caribbean, so Disney is relying heavily on Marvel, Fox, Pixar and Lucasfilm to make them money in the cinemas, at least at the moment.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#75 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 27453 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:07 PM

I'm not looking at Scar's deliciously evil expressions, I'm looking at a blank lion face.

From the sound of his acting in this, we're also not hearing his deliciously evil inflections and tone. We're hearing a stoic, almost bored voice.

"Run away, Simba. And never return ...or something, I think?"

Honestly, the following video becomes more and more accurate with each new piece of this movie released:

Edited by Sabrblade, 10 April 2019 - 08:39 PM.

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#76 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10556 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:29 PM

I'm not looking at Scar's deliciously evil expressions, I'm looking at a blank lion face.

From the sound of his acting in this, we're alos not hearing his deliciously evil inflections and tone. We're hearing a stoic, almost bored voice.

"Run away, Simba. And never return ...or something, I think?"

Yeah, some of the voice acting sounds like it leaves something to be desired.

I wonder why they didn't opt to get more of the original cast back. The original wasn't that long ago; many of them are still alive/available. Jeremy Irons may not be quite as distinctive as James Earl Jones vocally, but I'd argue he brought just as much to the part of Scar as Jones did Mufasa.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 10 April 2019 - 08:30 PM.

#77 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 27453 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:41 PM

I wonder why they didn't opt to get more of the original cast back. 

Because "roster of African animals = predominately Black cast", in this case.

Also:

Edited by Sabrblade, 10 April 2019 - 08:41 PM.

#78 Monocle

Monocle

ASM Contributing Editor

• Citizen
  • 4047 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:54 AM

What i want to know is why they did not give Scar a black mane, as there are actual black maned lions.

#79 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2470 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:41 AM

And the realistic look of the lions means as I watch this it just seems stripped of a lot of emotion than the '94 one had. I'm not looking at Scar's deliciously evil expressions, I'm looking at a blank lion face.

That's been my big problem with these films. Remaking a classic is big enough of an uphill struggle as it is without the characters all being emotionless brown-grey blobs, on a realistic brown-grey set. That thumbnail to the video Sabr posted is pretty damning; I'd never had guessed that screenshot was supposed to be the dawning realization of the enormous responsibility he's fated to inherit on "live action" Simba.

Edited by Noideaforaname, 11 April 2019 - 09:03 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users