Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Bass X0 : (16 July 2020 - 09:43 AM)

Circuit-breaker '84, this is Megatron's rubber duck. We've got ourselves a Rodimus Convoy. Do you copy? Over.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 07:06 AM)

I'm not going to sit here and bicker with you. I've made my point very clear and have nothing more to say on the issue.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 July 2020 - 07:00 AM)

I can't do anything to prevent hurricanes either but it'd be absurd to suggest I therefore shouldn't talk about them.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:57 AM)

Basically neither you nor I even like South Park anyways so the best you can do is leave it alone rather than suggest it is corrupting hearts and minds.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 July 2020 - 06:55 AM)

In that case I'm... not sure what the point is?

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:53 AM)

Nobody should be taking their morals from South Park. You can't prevent people from doing it. It's an artistic work with fans. I don't think I'm off-track.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 July 2020 - 06:51 AM)

As far as I can tell you just of course'd the thing you were poopooing...

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:47 AM)

Also, this is starting to get a bit too serious for the shoutbox (though it already was)

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:47 AM)

"It's that they're internalizing the overall attitude that the writers display through the show's writing." Of course, that's South Park's "artistic" style. It's what South Park's audience wants, and that's okay.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 July 2020 - 06:47 AM)

You can probably finish the sentence "I got 50% of my sense of humor from" with the name of some fictional work.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:45 AM)

And it still wouldn't be S.W.A.T.'ss or Grey's Anatomy's or South Park's fault.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 July 2020 - 06:45 AM)

The idea isn't that people are taking South Park's in-universe parody moral lessons seriously (though as Nevermore points out, you can't safely assume that isn't also happening). It's that they're internalizing the overall attitude that the writers display through the show's writing.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:45 AM)

"People say" those people are right, and you should listen to them. We can't protect people from themselves, but you can advise them well.

@  Nevermore : (16 July 2020 - 06:27 AM)

So many medical disasters because someone took what they saw on a hospital show at face value.

@  Nevermore : (16 July 2020 - 06:25 AM)

So many people who think police and court procedure works like it does in Hollywood, and act accordingly. Sometimes to their own disadvantage, sometimes just to the frustration of well-meaning authorities.

@  Nevermore : (16 July 2020 - 06:24 AM)

People say "you shouldn't take your morals from a TV show" all the time, but regardless of how these people want things to work doesn't mean other people aren't doing it anyways.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:01 AM)

And I mean, if you're looking for a 1950s conservative position on something, it's certainly that a TV show is rotting children's minds.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:00 AM)

Conservatives are not hiding under the bed waiting to ruin... uh... Family Guy of all things? And like, nobody should be taking their morals from South Park. Expecting such things is impractical.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 July 2020 - 01:10 AM)

It was just the cartoon with those foul mouthed kids in the UK until that bubble burst after the movie. Reviewers joked the movies target audience would be unable to see it for the rating.

@  Paladin : (15 July 2020 - 05:14 PM)

see also: "South Park." the show that poisoned a generation by teaching them "it's stupid to feel for other people."

@  Rycochet : (15 July 2020 - 11:04 AM)

'Take that! People who care about things!'

@  Rycochet : (15 July 2020 - 11:02 AM)

With Brian, he stopped being the voice of reason and started to be the right wing notion of a liberal, someone who's lazy, pretentious, doesn't work at anything, is every bit as abusive as the rest of the cast and only wins arguments with strawmen.

@  Otaku : (15 July 2020 - 10:56 AM)

Of course, I stopped enjoying Family Guy around that time, so my bias is clear. XP

@  Otaku : (15 July 2020 - 10:54 AM)

Is it because they changed or we changed?  Stuff that was charming, or at least, funny at first can get really annoying the longer you know a person... and I find that can go for fictional characters as well.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 July 2020 - 08:03 AM)

familyguyjar.png

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 July 2020 - 03:45 AM)

One example is Family Guy where around season 8 Brian is suddenly reviled by everyone and has acted way out of character since.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 July 2020 - 03:44 AM)

My least favorite thing in fiction is when it changes hands so you get a author, writer or showrunner who hates a character or messes with a arc/layout.

@  Sabrblade : (14 July 2020 - 06:02 PM)

You'll shoot yer eye out, kid.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 July 2020 - 04:36 PM)

I shot the sheriff.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 July 2020 - 04:24 PM)

han wasn't even in the movie until later

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 July 2020 - 04:23 PM)

the stormtroopers shot first

@  Sabrblade : (14 July 2020 - 03:33 PM)

Maclunkey

@  Paladin : (14 July 2020 - 06:18 AM)

the correct answwer to "who shot first" will always be "Harrison Ford if he ever hears that hugging question again."

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 July 2020 - 12:25 AM)

Han shot first. Plain and simple.

@  -LittleAutob... : (13 July 2020 - 06:21 PM)

\(-_-)

@  Bass X0 : (13 July 2020 - 05:26 PM)

"Here's a little---whatever. A little thing. A disclosure. An insight. Revisionism---I've always been fascinated by it. By the idea of a writer going back and altering things. Make no mistake: an edit is a profoundly aggressive act. As Froid once said, we grieve for the murdered word. If you want to get the measure of an author, don't look at what they've left on the page.... look at what they've taken away." -- Rung (MTMTE #28)

@  Verno : (11 July 2020 - 11:20 PM)

2021: :idea :rolleyes :p :D

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 06:20 PM)

Perfection. :thumbsup

@  Patch : (11 July 2020 - 06:17 PM)

My plans:  :hmm  2020:  :)

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Our plans for 2020 were as amazing as Optimus Prime. But then 2020 came like Hot Rod.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 05:50 PM)

Indeed....

@  Bass X0 : (11 July 2020 - 05:40 PM)

"He who dies with the most toys wins."

@  Rycochet : (11 July 2020 - 01:11 PM)

Hey you, get moving, it's not too far, you're looking good so come as you are. Hey you, you never know what you'll see, when it's through that door with the 73.

@  Rycochet : (11 July 2020 - 01:10 PM)

Hey you, get ready, get on your feet. Get into gear and hit the street.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 12:46 PM)

I recall number 73 (old british show) discussing the Transformers movie and had the presenters trying to transform a few figures, one argued his deflated beach ball was a Transformer too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 July 2020 - 08:03 AM)

And he's a big ball, but he's not the biggest ball of them all. (That'll be Pulse Unicron.)

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 07:37 AM)

Trypticon so scared my Primus figure he turned into a ball.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 July 2020 - 09:56 PM)

King Nine, however, will not return.

@  Bass X0 : (09 July 2020 - 05:05 PM)

Bass_X0 will return after these messages ^^^

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 July 2020 - 03:37 PM)

WHATAMIFIGHTINGFOOOOOOOOARRGH

Photo

Unicron #6 Discussion

140 replies to this topic

#1 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Citizen
  • 9628 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 13 November 2018 - 07:17 PM

Discuss the issue here!

If you don't want to wait for comiXology et al, it's available already via the IDW website:

http://www.idwpublis...mers-unicron-6/

#2 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2769 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:39 PM

Spoiler

#3 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 23046 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:42 PM

Spoiler

very good

#4 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:56 PM

Over ten years ago, Transformers Armada's penultimate episode asked a question

"How foolish to battle in the name of peace...how absurd. You were programmed for war, Optimus. Without it, you would be just another Autobot. You are exactly the same as Galvatron, only you claim your objective is for peace. How does engaging in war translate as peace?"

This has long been one of my favorite Unicron stories, for asking a question, in its own spottily dubbed, targeted-towards-children anime way, that questioned the very idea of what Transformers are. And while that series told a story about Unicron manipulating Cybertron to his own ends and "Transformers Unicron" instead depicts events where Unicron is itself a victim screaming out for retribution, I can't help but feel shades of the former story, and the driving question that so challenged its Optimus Prime.

"Unicron" brings all of Cybertron's sins home to roost, and forces its characters to ask if they can live in a world without hatred, without the sins of the Primes, and even the cost of fighting back with hate, anger, and hatred. Too many stories all too easily to speak as if all hatreds are equal, that fighting back against oppressors will make you the very thing you oppose. But "Unicron" is more honest, in that Optimus acknowledges his sins and the rage and pain at everything Unicron has lost is valid, that his hatred and desire for justice is just as justified. But retribution is not found in perpetuating the cycle, and neither is it found in letting those same people who played a part in tragedy to continue shaping the future ahead.

This isn't about Lost Light, but I can't help but compare what ultimately became of Soundwave and Optimus to how that book handled Megatron. Throughout that book, Megatron was looking to others to decide his fate, to tell him if he deserved redemption. In the end, he accepts judgement and a fate decided for him. In the case of Optimus and Soundwave, who have played just as much a part in the cycle of conflict, who are just as complicit in the atrocities that are part of Cybertron's history, it's not about redemption or forgiveness. It's about leaving everyone else to decide, to give them a future. They lose everything to give the universe a future, and to put the dead to rest. Killer, victim. Prime. Cybertronian. Human. Even the Chaos Bringer himself.

xvZt9zS.jpg

This oft cited exchange comes to mind, because it's evocative of Optimus's final fate. It is the question he ultimately asks about himself. Where Megatron is about whether the galaxy can forgive him, Optimus instead decides that his time has past. That the only thing that can grant atonement is to live and die for the future you want to create, and to destroy the past you regret.

In the end, characters like Slide, Pyra Magna, Arcee, Skywarp, Thundercracker - they have to live with what they've done and any evil or misjudgments they've made. Windblade now has to lead a disparate collection of societies on a planet that sees them as invaders. There is goodness in imperfect things now, just as there was once dark things in their past. No one who has blood on their hands can simply sacrifice themselves as Optimus and Soundwave did. The legacies of the Primes and Cybertronian expansion will never truly disappear, just as the impact and memory of human wars, prejudice, and injustice will never vanish either. This is not about defending the unjust or demonizing the freedom fighters, it is about finding out what to do when the war is at an end, the revolution is over, and the old ghosts have been put to rest.

Ultimately, Armada came to a very different conclusion, but one that serve as parallels. In the end, Megatron decided to cut himself free, knowing that there was no place for him on Cybertron. Optimus Prime, his opposite number across different continuities made that same decision. Where Armada's hopeful future was ultimately undone by the, this is effectively the end of the IDW continuity we've had for a decade now, with only the coda of Optimus Prime #25 remaining. Of course, I'm not so naive as to think this was intentional, it's just an interesting connection I've noticed in my own reading, that resonates on account of them existing at opposite ends of my journey as a Transformers fan.

I don't know what IDW will do next with the Transformers license, but as a finale tho this saga, "Unicron" does not disappoint. Bravo, John Barber. Bravo.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#5 Creedence

Creedence

borf borf

• Citizen
  • 9212 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:50 PM

I guess the Maximals being super-ugly Pretenders with a confusing origin didn't really amount to anything.

#6 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 4021 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:03 PM

#7 Tieria Prime

Tieria Prime

Just a normal bot who doesn't want to be messed with

• Citizen
  • 50 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:32 PM

I not gonna read the comic anyway after what I saw ewwww

#8 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 10043 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:57 AM

Well, you sure have found yourself in a funny location, haven't you?

#9 Tieria Prime

Tieria Prime

• Citizen
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:59 AM

Well, you sure have found yourself in a funny location, haven't you?

Correct and you know who I mean

#10 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40686 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:23 AM

oh man i can't wait for unicron #7 

#11 Tieria Prime

Tieria Prime

• Citizen
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:29 AM

There’s no unicron #7

#12 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Former Staff~

• Citizen
  • 22999 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:32 AM

There are many, many things about this issue I loved, but right now, for some reason, this really does it for me. = ]

y57wUVr.png

Edited by Cabooceratops, 14 November 2018 - 01:52 AM.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#13 Tieria Prime

Tieria Prime

• Citizen
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:39 AM

is it bad

#14 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

• Citizen
  • 9628 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:09 AM

I'd already gotten teary-eyed from Ironhide's last words, but Soundwave's splash page just instantly wrecked me. Floods of tears.

And speaking of that splash page, there's a very noticeable omission. Can't help but wonder if that'll come up in OP #25...

#15 Broadside

Broadside

#HaulOfFame

• Citizen
  • 11072 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:27 AM

predaking.png

metufb2wd6a11.gif

unknown.png

#16 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

• Citizen
  • 9628 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:37 AM

And speaking of that double-page spread, Salmons getting to be Action Man too was such a sweet little moment.

Edited by Jalaguy, 14 November 2018 - 05:47 AM.

#17 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2769 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:38 AM

Yeah, that black hole is gonna give everyone on Earth memory problems and then the Autobots are gonna have to go searching for the Cyber Planet Keys on all the Cybertronian coloni-  oh.  Oh.

#18 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 4021 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:39 AM

Was there any particular reason why Rung was front and center in Soundwave's memories? Or was that just supposed to be, like, the equivalent of God beckoning him into the light?

#19 Broadside

Broadside

#HaulOfFame

• Citizen
  • 11072 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:43 AM

I don't think that was Soundwave's memories? I think it was just "those who have died before".

unknown.png

#20 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

• Citizen
  • 9628 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:45 AM

Yeah, he was using the Enigma to channel the sparks of all who had come before, so as to empower Optimus from afar.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users