Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

Photo

Late adopting PS4

20 replies to this topic

#1 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5674 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:28 PM

With some new releases this year, I think I'm finally going to pick up a PS4.  Is it worth the extra money to get the "Pro" version, or should I go cheap?  Is there an actual gameplay difference between the two, or does it just amount to load time?

#2 Kevin S

Kevin S

Unswerving in my duties

• Supporter
  • 6020 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:34 PM

Do you have a 4K television or intend to get one? Pro is intended for them. Otherwise you can just go with the older versions.
My FlickR folder...

And yes, I was too lazy to come up with a decent TF related forum name, and just *GASP* used my own.

#3 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Citizen
  • 1101 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:13 PM

Can the PS4 play UHDs yet?
jBU1ixT.jpg

#4 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1361 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:03 PM

Ugh, I wish it did.  It is still the only reason I have the XboneX.  Then again, between the UHD BDs and streaming FunimationNow, it has been "used" more than all my other Xbox consoles combined, and just within the last year. 

But yeah, if you have a 4K TV or are planning on getting one, the Pro should be what you want, else the standard PS4 would work just as fine.

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#5 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5674 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:43 PM

What about Playstation VR?  Or is that a waste of money?

#6 Pocket

Pocket

Naylte ven, naylte yen.

• Citizen
  • 4842 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:39 PM

Here's an article that came up when I asked Google "does the PS4 pro improve vr". Long story short: The PSVR has a native resolution of only 1080p, so you're not going to get a "retina display" by going Pro, but you might get a faster framerate (the article suggests, but stops suspiciously short of outright stating, that all PSVR titles run at 120fps) and/or better detail at long distances and less noticeable pop-in, depending on the game. How the Pro has shorter loading times, I'm not sure; multiple read heads in the disc drive maybe?

"If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs, chances are you're not paying attention." - unknown

#7 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5674 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:39 AM

Sounds to me like I should just save my money and get a PS4 slim.  

#8 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4964 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:40 AM

And don't forget that about everyone is going to have a 1 TB slim with Spider-Man for $200 on Black Friday.  And at this point, a LOT of the key PS4 exclusives (Ratchet and Clank, Horizon, Kingdom Hearts) are readily available for $30 or less for even complete editions.

#9 golfguide

golfguide
  • Protoform
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:06 PM

Shouldn't something be said about Playstation VR? Or then again is that a misuse of cash?

#10 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 8246 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:44 AM

I'm not the best person to weigh in on this, since differences in picture clarity and frame rates are only noticeable to me if I'm literally looking at a side-by-side comparison video. What I will say is I've had a non-pro PS4 for about 6 months now, and a 4K TV for about half that time, and I've got no complaints. Everything looks and plays great to me.

I'm curious about the VR as well, but I'm gonna remain curious until that price comes way the hell down.

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/
And a fic thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/169332-do-no-harm-first-aid/

#11 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 672 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 03:49 PM

So, with the PS5 only being partially backwards compatible with the PS4 (at launch, anyway), I've decided I'll probably be getting a PS4 sometime in the next few months.  

I'm leaning towards a PS4 Pro...but I'm not sure if I really need the Pro or not.  I don't have a 4K TV and I really don't care about that level of graphics, anyway.   And I'm not really interested in the VR side of things.  BUT, I've heard some games really do run better on the Pro.  BUT, I've heard there's been a few instances of the Pro overheating.  Anyone on here have any major problems with their's?  Any particular model versions I should keep my eye out for?

And one big question...was the 2TB versions only a limited time thing?  There doesn't seem to be a lot of those in the wild.  More storage probably would be nice, but I am aware that I could upgrade the hard drive, if I wanted to.  Most of the PS4s I'm seeing are 1TB, though.

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 19 March 2020 - 03:53 PM.

#12 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5520 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 19 March 2020 - 05:24 PM

I have the PS4 Destiny 2 Pro, and so far I haven't had any issues with overheating. 

There are games that have 'enchantments' if you have a pro. My vote is if you can get one for a good price go for it, but you aren't really that bad off with a regular PS4.

For anyone curious about the VR side of things. I LOVE mine and have had some great gaming experiences with it, but at the end of the day it comes down to if you can handle motion sickness or not.

I don't seem to get it at all, as I can play DOOM VFR on full move/no teleport and feel just fine. Others though I had playing the Star Wars Battlefront VR mission, and they had to take it off mid mission due to feeling queasy.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#13 Caldwin

Caldwin

Acid For Blood

• Supporter
  • 26055 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 20 March 2020 - 05:03 AM

I never did get the pro. I don't have a 4K TV. I also never touched VR. I got my basic PS4 the day they first dropped. So I can't really speak to those other things.

What I will say is that aside from the VR games, I've been able to play any PS4 game I wanted to play with no problem. They all look great. 

Also, PS5 drops later this year. PS4 is going to be a dead system sooner rather than later. So while there are definitely some great games on the PS4 and would encourage you to try them, you may want to consider how much life your expecting to get from the system and think about how much money you want to sink into it.

like I said, I only ever had the base model and never had any complaints.

PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#14 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 43599 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 06:04 AM

Life expectancy is how long the systems runs without breaking. Whether you can replace it or not is another question entirely. Plus, when the ps5 drops: ps4 titles will be more frequently put on sale.

Don't buy into the hype or the consumer treadmill. If benbot, or anyone else, wants to get the system now, or after the next iteration is available that's their prerogative.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#15 Caldwin

Caldwin

Acid For Blood

• Supporter
  • 26055 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 20 March 2020 - 08:15 AM

Oh I definitely didn't mean he shouldn't get it. I still play my PS3. Heck! I still play my NES. And the PS4 has a lot of great games with more still on the way.

I'm just saying that with the end of the generation in sight, the base model is plenty good enough and shelling out for the top of the line may not necessarily be the best way to go.
PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#16 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 43599 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 08:45 AM

Oh yeah, it all depends on your own needs and requirements. If I was in his place, I'd skip the pro version entirely as I don't have a 4K tv in the house. Maybe he might need a bigger hard drive or something, but you can fix that yourself depending on your own technical skill.

As an aside, I am liking how much like PCs the consoles are becoming.

#17 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5520 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:13 AM

Well the pro doesn't just do 4K. I do have a 4K tv, but I don't have my pro utilizing it at the moment. One because I have everything going through a surround sound system that came out probably almost a decade ago. Also my tv is an LG which for some reason seems to hate interacting in 4K with the PS4 pro.

I'd still recommend the Pro over the original though as it does indeed have better processing and better ram, and it does make a small difference.

You'll still be fine with the regular, but I still stand by that if you CAN find the Pro for a good price, I'd go for it.

(Of course in my case, not only was I getting a Destiny 2 based system, which I really wanted, I was upgrading from my 500 gig drive to a terabyte drive.)

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#18 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 672 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 03:00 PM

Yeah, I'm mainly just thinking about the Pro for the few games that run better or faster on it.  

Mind you, I might have to look up some videos to see just how big of a difference we're talking on some of that, because I don't really notice some of the framerate stuff a lot of reviewers are picky about.  And I'm probably not going to do a lot of online-only gaming, anyway, so a few missed frames or something probably won't be the biggest deal to me overall.

I probably WOULD be just as well off with a base PS4, but I keep thinking "if I'm spending $250 anyway, would I be better just spending $350 for something that might run a little better?"  And if I can manage to find a Pro bundle with a game or something, that's getting pretty close to the same price.  We'll see what's what in a few months.

And...well, I do tend to just drop in at the end of a console's lifecycle and scoop up a bunch of cheap games from Gamestop and the like.  I keep up with the news during a console's life and make note of which games are good or interesting, then get them while they're good and cheap.  Patience pays off...mostly (curse the rise of limited runs of indie games!)  So..being at the end of the consoles lifecycle isn't a big deal to me.  Frankly, I only waited as long as I have because of the PS5 being completely-backwards compatible with ALL generations rumors (which was ALWAYS unlikely, but would have been cool, if true)...and the possibility of a Pro Deluxe or something.  Now that we "know" the PS5's probably only going to be partially-backwards compatible with the PS4...I might as well have a dedicated system for the PS4 games and wait until the PS5 Pro comes out in 5 years or so.

And...hate to say it, but there's already rumors of the PS5 and XXX getting delayed until next year, due to this whole virus thing causing material shortages.  So...this generation might not be as over as we thought a few weeks ago.

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 20 March 2020 - 03:34 PM.

#19 Pocket

Pocket

Naylte ven, naylte yen.

• Citizen
  • 4842 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 03:31 PM

Though the flow of new games for it might be, for the same reason.

"If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs, chances are you're not paying attention." - unknown

#20 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 43599 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 04:12 PM

Plus the whole indie thing is slowly getting away from physical releases and going mostly digital: unless you're after the special edition stuff. That's one of the things I actually am enjoying about this modern era of gaming: Can't find the physical? hugging download. Chances are the online store will host a MUCH deeper discount than the brick and mortar store and wishlists means you can forget it and still not miss it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users