Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:47 AM)

(And the 0th anniversary of the last time I couldn't do math.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Today is the 24th anniversary of the day we fought off an alien invasion with the help of Will Smith.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 10:41 AM)

Oh the end of the Ottoman Empire of course.

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 10:14 AM)

*ahem* 4th of July....

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 08:14 AM)

Nothing of importance has happened before, and nothing of importance will happen again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 08:12 AM)

Nothing of importance happened today.

@  Telly : (03 July 2020 - 09:54 PM)

i want a "i survived 'rona and all i got was this lousy t-shirt"

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 July 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Slogan for 2021: "I Lived, Bitch."

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

They should make the next book in the Survivors series 'I SURVIVED CORONA VIRUS 2020'

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

YEEEE I'M A SURVIVOR-

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:59 AM)

Probably gonna assemble Devastator after work.

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:58 AM)

Ooooh. Overload arrived. He's surprisingly fun.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 04:00 PM)

He's sweeter than the average bear.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 July 2020 - 03:14 PM)

Convert him to Maple Syrup.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 03:10 PM)

what would Canada do with Yogi?

@  Cyoti : (01 July 2020 - 12:51 PM)

We can deport Yogi back to Canada now.

@  Sabrblade : (01 July 2020 - 12:50 PM)

Jellystone National Pawk. A westful wetweat.

@  Rycochet : (01 July 2020 - 12:47 PM)

Jellystone. We're going to be plunged into a decade of poor animation. Fortunately we've been led by bad cartoon characters for years so we won't notice much difference.

@  Maximus Ambus : (01 July 2020 - 06:19 AM)

what next? YELLOWSTONE?

@  Nevermore : (01 July 2020 - 05:46 AM)

Thanks, dead person.

@  Bass X0 : (01 July 2020 - 05:06 AM)

congratulations to all survivors of the first half of 2020.

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 10:21 PM)

21 for me, but after numerous repetitions I got it down to 17 and a half.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 06:16 PM)

I transform in six steps from human to human sitting on my ass at the computer and back again!

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 June 2020 - 05:55 PM)

x-x when in vehicle mode we can travel much F A R T H E R-

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 05:52 PM)

Because despite the fact that we can travel around the world in the time it takes to get a good nights sleep and a couple of meals: people rarely wander more than 25 miles away from home for the duration of their lives.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I don't know how many days that trip takes - especially while sightseeing - but explaining they're 3936 kilometers (2445 miles) apart gives an idea, paradoxically because it is too large to easily picture.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:44 PM)

Aye.  When I catch lay people discussing miles and not how long the trip takes, it is in an attempt to stress how far away something is... like NYC to LA.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

But I can imagine 45 *minutes* easily.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

I can imagine a mile, it's a distance I've run. I can't really imagine 45 miles.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:19 PM)

I think there's also an element of the thing where things that are much bigger than us all blur together.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:49 AM)

If you're not, then you're more concerned with how long it takes.  Actual distance doesn't tell you that very well.  Besides traffic and road conditions, you'll need to know what kind of driving (city/interstate/rural/etc.).

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:47 AM)

Distance matters if you're being paid by the mile.

@  TM2-Megatron : (30 June 2020 - 11:44 AM)

Canadians are the same way, for the most part. If you're driving somewhere far, especially, it helps you plan out the day more than a distance in KM would.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:42 AM)

We use the time it takes to get someplace because that is what is relevant to us.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Because even we can't figure out miles half the time.

@  Paladin : (30 June 2020 - 09:54 AM)

it's a big country with a lot of empty space. between our citizens' ears.

@  Bass X0 : (30 June 2020 - 09:52 AM)

Why do most Americans measure distance by hours of driving?

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 07:26 PM)

And as a result the world's lone blu-ray release of the film, an Australian disc that came out 7 years ago, now goes for hundreds of dollars on eBay. Thanks Disney.

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 06:21 PM)

Well, they censored Daryl Hannah's butt in Splash :rolleyes

@  Paladin : (29 June 2020 - 05:43 PM)

maybe New Mutants is too bad even for D+.

@  Steevy Maximus : (29 June 2020 - 05:00 PM)

X-Men films are coming to Disney+ next month. But will they censor Hugh Jackman's butt?

@  -LittleAutob... : (29 June 2020 - 12:44 PM)

Pft.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 June 2020 - 11:59 AM)

Behold! Night Strike Galvatron!

@  Bass X0 : (29 June 2020 - 09:53 AM)

I will grant you a recolored body, and recolored troops to command.

@  Cybersnark : (29 June 2020 - 09:47 AM)

I don't want to be reissued. This body sucks, I wanna be updated.

@  Nevermore : (29 June 2020 - 09:43 AM)

I definitely don't intend to be reissued. Nobody would buy me.

@  Bass X0 : (29 June 2020 - 08:31 AM)

will anybody else attempt to be reissued?

@  wonko the sane? : (29 June 2020 - 07:51 AM)

*Gasp* Decepticons re-writing history to serve their own needs?!?!

@  Nevermore : (29 June 2020 - 05:48 AM)

The whole point of the DJD is that they're fanatical Megatron fanboys (especially Tarn) to the point of having their own headcanon taking priority of the actual canon, simply speaking.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 June 2020 - 04:01 AM)

They didn't know the war was over until later. And then they denied it anyway.

Photo
- - - - -

Jinkies! Scooby Doo General Discussion Thread

90 replies to this topic

#81 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9496 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:19 AM

Just got done watching it. Its a fun time. Definitely a Scooby and Shaggy movie primarily with the rest of the gang being shuffled to the B plot. Wasnt quite expecting the A plot so much near the end though. It did go a bit more to actual happenings than phoneys near the end thankfully. But one other Classic HB cameo got spoiled for me walking through Walmart earlier as I browsed the toys briefly. Wasnt expecting that one until seeing it in the toys.

Theres more in the credits but most in the actual movie were spoiled in the lead up to the movie in ads. The celebrity voices were distracting to me. Would have preferred just sticking with more of the classic voices but the only one that we spend the majority with is Shaggy.

Its a fun movie though. Not really suspenseful like Zombie Island. The mystery is less who did it and rather more whats going on. Though someone has their disguise game perfected here.

If you got the funds to buy it for a bit more digital its an ok watch. Definitely fun to watch with kiddos for sure.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#82 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

Maker of Toy Box Comix

• Citizen
  • 9439 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 12:50 PM

I'm looking at pictures of the Playmobil Mystery Machine and wondering if there's room to modify it to fit 3.75" figures.  Specifically, the Mezco 5 Points Scooby figures that are supposed to come out eventually.

#83 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9496 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 11:00 AM

So if Im remembering right Wilma Flintstones maiden name thanks to part of the Scoob movie could be translated as
Spoiler

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#84 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5495 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 18 May 2020 - 12:42 PM

I really enjoyed Scoob, but I also had an idea what to expect going into it, so I wasn't bothered by it not being your typical mystery plot.

However, there is one thing that I feel is a major flaw of the entire movie, and that's most of the voices. These characters have established voices you could have EASILY gotten for this movie, but no Hollywood wanted those celebrity voices, and in my opinion it hurts the movie.

Spoiler

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#85 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34883 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 01:33 PM

I had been looking forward to this movie, but I read a very bad review the other day.

#86 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5495 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:18 PM

I had been looking forward to this movie, but I read a very bad review the other day.

*shrugs* I've heard more good then bad. I say go for it, but if you're worried about the price, maybe get some friends over and make it a movie night.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#87 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7603 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:48 PM

I can't even figure out if there's a date locked in for an Australian release. Been hanging out to sit down with the kids and watch this but I guess we'll have to wait!

However, there is one thing that I feel is a major flaw of the entire movie, and that's most of the voices. These characters have established voices you could have EASILY gotten for this movie, but no Hollywood wanted those celebrity voices, and in my opinion it hurts the movie.

I'm sure it does, but... it's a movie. Like, a Proper Movie. Although a lot less so given that it got Coronaed. It would have been unusual to see the "regular" cast on the big screen, I just can't imagine it would ever have been that kind of thing. 

It's a franchise with a really weird cast history... you're going to have Frank there as Fred but everyone else has been through a heap of changes. For anything in the last twenty years you probably have Grey as Daphne, but who's playing Velma? Who's your post-Kasem Shaggy? We expect Matthew Lillard now but we had years of Scott Innes (who may be voicing Scooby as well), Scott Menville. Hell, Innes has even played Fred occasionally - and virtually every other male HB character who ever existed. 

That said, I absolutely agree that it SHOULD have been the "regular" cast. Lillard has publicly stated how bummed out he is, and I think he should know better. It's a movie. And I'm sure they're keeping him busy with Shaggy elsewhere. But I think he's phenomenal in the role and it's pretty rotten that he's feeling rejected. 

Frequent cast changes or no, it's a MASSIVE property and you a) should respect whoever is in those shoes right now and b) can trust audiences to still show up even if you don't have Zac Efron. 

It seems extremely unlikely that we'll see the movie cast playing these roles regularly, because most of them are Too Big A Deal, so I don't think Lillard and co. will be losing TV or DTV jobs. Forte as Shaggy is maybe the exception but fingers crossed. 

Spoiler

Well that worries me. Always loved that character.

SIDE NOTE: trying to find the new movie on Australian platforms led me to the iTunes release of the 1979 Scrappy series, which I somehow had never known about. I thought he had debuted in the 1980 series that booted out Fred and the girls. I didn't realise there was this big a gap in my (pre-modern) Scooby-Doo experience, so I'm quite excited. The 1980 series is one of my core childhood Scooby memories so I have a high tolerance for obnoxious puppies. 

Edited by Maruten, 19 May 2020 - 07:52 PM.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#88 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7603 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 05:58 AM

Meanwhile if anyone is after cheap Scooby comics, all eight Team Up trades seem to be free on Kindle right now?

https://www.amazon.c...140011&ref=is_s

WsuGTl1.jpg

#89 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9133 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:02 AM

Saw it. I actually didn't know who the guest voices are. It was just that guy in the club that felt really off.

Loved the sympathetic motivation. Could have played it up more.

They flipped the dual character dynamic. I'm... ok with it. But double dee-ing isn't needed.

There was a small omission in the new recruits. Why?

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#90 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7603 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 04:42 AM

Somehow failed to find these when I was searching on ComiXology, but the whole run of Team Up and sixty-some issues of Where Are You? are also free here.

https://www.comixolo...YnJlYWRjcnVtYnM

https://www.comixolo...c3VsdHNTbGlkZXI

Edit: oh, and 50 issues of the 1997 book as well. https://www.comixolo...lcmllc1NsaWRlcg

Which is insane. Like, you expect some sales to cash in on the release of a big movie or etc, but this is a MASSIVE amount of content for NOTHING.

Edited by Maruten, 03 June 2020 - 04:50 AM.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#91 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7603 posts

Posted Today, 03:16 AM

Scoob! finally appeared in Australia. I didn't have any major issues with the plot or script... I liked the movie but I think I would have adored it if they had used the current cast instead of a bunch of famous losers. And again, I get why they did that and I'm not surprised. But Forte in particular just dragged the whole thing down for me. I like Will Forte and he turned in a decent performance, like... no offence... but I just couldn't buy it as a bearable Shaggy. They're big shoes to fill and I just like Lillard's feet.

And yeah, I wasn't thrilled with their take on Captain Caveman - a character I have always loved - but I applaud them for bringing in a wider array of HB characters than the title of the film mandated.

WsuGTl1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users