Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:07 PM)

Today's convention haul:

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 08:54 AM)

But it was Huuunnngrrrryyyy. What was I supposed to do?

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2019 - 08:23 AM)

But did you feed any small fuzzy creatures after midnight?

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 06:32 AM)

Shouldn't be. I literally just built it. Not even three weeks ago even.

@  TM2-Megatron : (07 September 2019 - 10:13 PM)

Sounds like your computer's on its last lags, Wonko

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 07:37 PM)

Dunno, crucial says it's fine, gonna need a second opinion.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2019 - 06:52 PM)

Good luck! (or break a leg if it's like theater luck...)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Alright. The damages now seem to include my primary SSD. Thankfully, the gaming drive (I have now lost all my games and mods entirely.) Let me wipe it and install there. Once the crucial utility is installed again, will verify the drive.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Three more crashes since I pulled the ram. Verifying the OS now... tonight might be a reinstalling kinda night.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:46 AM)

And thankfully it wasn't totally dead, so it was working on occassion. If the problem is actually solved, I just need to wait and see if the program/system crashes are over.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:45 AM)

Got it. I wound up running the memtest four more times, because of course it's always the last dimm. But I got the culprit. I lost 8 gig, but I'm still at three times the "recommended" amount.

@  Hg Dragon : (07 September 2019 - 11:09 AM)

DL and run MemTest86. It'll help weed out issues. Run 1 stick at a time. Then run a stick that passed in each slot. Will help you find out if it's the RAM or the slot/motherboard

@  Patch : (07 September 2019 - 10:45 AM)

How many RAM sticks do you have total?

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 09:57 AM)

Great, two weeks of random BSODs, and I manage to finally work out some ram has gone bad. Just need to work out which one(s) and then I can go from there.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:25 AM)

*just stares*

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 04:27 AM)

My french is rusty but I'd guess Italienne-americain pain du sauce

@  Nevermore : (07 September 2019 - 02:58 AM)

What do they want "pizza" to be called? Crpes superior?

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 01:11 AM)

Are they still suing Italian restaurants for having food that's insufficiently French?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (06 September 2019 - 10:31 PM)

Not even Quebec likes Quebec?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 08:51 PM)

Quebec's a special case; they just have an insatiable lust for hate

@  Ashley : (06 September 2019 - 07:48 PM)

Those weird language laws are basically anti-everyone. Who does it help to stop certain toys from being sold there?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 04:56 PM)

Canada is one of those rare countries that's paradoxically both anti-business (except for the chosen few) and anti-consumer

Photo

Lost Light #25 Discussion, Review and Series Retrospective

lost light

181 replies to this topic

#41 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 22907 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:07 PM

I mean, I get the "Roller likes wheels" joke but the idea that there's a transformer with a canonical foot fetish is hilarious to me.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#42 DocChloroplast

DocChloroplast

I think you underestimate the depths of my pettiness

• Citizen
  • 872 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:10 PM

Lost Light C: *casually breaks through the Multiverse*

Transtech: WAHT

dFdY.png

Magaroja on TFWiki | Buying POTP Prima Prime, either version

Rest in Peace our darling Rydia, 1998 - Sept. 2, 2018

#43 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3964 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:12 PM

They actually landed in the Transformers Animated universe, there we got a continuation of TFA, shut up.

#44 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 22907 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:20 PM

The bit with Rung was sweet until I got reminded of the genetically engineered sex god from The Filth who had 824 children that were all clones of him.

This sentence may or not be odd without context.

Edited by Verity Carlo, 07 November 2018 - 01:30 PM.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#45 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16811 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:56 PM

I still say "We've brought 500,000,000 sparks online AND ALSO integrated 500 Lunarians into our society" either means the Rung-ites are just a fraction of the new sparks or that the whole word bubble was poorly composed.

#46 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3964 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:07 PM

I'm pretty sure the implication is that the millions of sparks are online, but are put on ice until they receive bodies - like what happened during the Silver Harvest - and once they're put into a protoform they become Rungoids.

#47 Salt-Man Z

Salt-Man Z

that is not dead which can eternal lie

• Citizen
  • 7640 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:28 PM

The real Rung was inside of you all along.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#48 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35119 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:40 PM

so not only is what Megatron's actual fate left unstated, another version of him gets to have space adventures forever and ever, free of consequence.

About what I expected.

Edited by Tyranno, 07 November 2018 - 02:41 PM.

"Disabled people dont have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnt a special need. Its a basic human right. Its a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#49 General Tekno

General Tekno

BRUNT; F.C.A.!

• Citizen
  • 2034 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:41 PM

so not only is what Megatron's actual fate left unstated, another version of him gets to have space adventures forever and ever, free of consequence.

About what I expected.

It's heavily implied though that he's dead.

It's why Rodimus has his Rodimus Star.

banner_2015.png

BT Toons - updates Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Blog | Youtube | Twitter | DeviantArt | Tumblr

#50 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 247 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:43 PM

No Ore.

0/10

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#51 Salt-Man Z

Salt-Man Z

that is not dead which can eternal lie

• Citizen
  • 7640 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:49 PM

About what I expected.

And if he's not dead, he's been imprisoned for life (and in a device of Prowl's design.) And he himself believes either sentence to be too lenient.

But oh no in some alternate universe somewhere there's a version of him that's happy.

Edited by Salt-Man Z, 07 November 2018 - 02:49 PM.

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#52 Prime Radiant

Prime Radiant

TFWiki: Flawlessvoid.

• Citizen
  • 204 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:49 PM

Lost Light C: *casually breaks through the Multiverse*

Transtech: WAHT

Now the Lost Light can break back into the Marvel G1 universe, which was cut off from the Multiverse at the end of Regeneration One. It truly never ends, folks.

Believing I had not miscalculated was the first miscalculation.

#53 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35119 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:52 PM

About what I expected.

The second part of what I said, combined with Rodimus and Megatron basically saying "he doesn't deserve it", don't exactly feel like Roberts is committing to anything.

If others can (rightfully) be frustrated that Prowl is still in charge after everything he's done, then I don't really see how my opinion about Alter-Megatron Getting Away With It is unwarranted.

"Disabled people dont have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnt a special need. Its a basic human right. Its a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#54 repowers

repowers

I AM THE ONE OF GOOD!!!

• Citizen
  • 1292 posts
  • Location:Portland, Oregon. They promised me giant robot battles. I don't see any giant robot battles.

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:17 PM

I'll say again, it's a shame that so much stuff got scrunched down at the end. Where Thy sees some filler over the last year, I see stories stripped down to their plot-essential bones, without the character-driven meat that would have made them more compelling from a personal standpoint and more comfortable in their pacing. 

The "reunion" of the Guiding Hand, for instance, should have had a full issue to unfold. Let us see Tyrest and Rung go through shock, remembrance, anger, retribution, etc. Let their story play out. Let them stand around and talk for a while. Let us learn a little more about Epistimus. 

The giant space battle barely even registered as background noise. It deserved a few epic pages and some up-close perspective on what's happening on all these gigantic ships that dwarf the Lost Light as they're trying to blow each other to kingdom come. 

I've mentioned Star Saber's death before, but again it stands out as a moment of tidy tying-off of a loose end that needed more poetic closure. He so badly deserved not just death, but a comeupance.

Related to that, I was thinking back on his return to the story and wondering why Mirage had to die. He has this one line that seems to imply he KNOWS Star Saber, thinks he'll be able to reason with him, but then gets schliched in twain for his troubles. It feels like there was a plot thread there that got dropped or squeezed out. 

Also: read this.

https://medium.com/@...ht-cafa2b59dcb6

Finally, the big takeaway from this issue that nobody seems to be commenting on: PROTECTOBOTS LIIIIIIIIIIIIVE YAYYYYYYY!!

Edited by repowers, 07 November 2018 - 05:53 PM.

repowers @ TFWiki.net

Robert is made to withstand plenty of play, and transforms from car to robot! Go, Robert, go!

Why will we solve after Robert grasps the abysmal winter's ulcer? He may change rural tailors, do you join them? The films, tapes, and spoons are all good and fresh.

#55 Sockie

Sockie
  • Citizen
  • 1927 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:22 PM

This ending hit me a lot harder than I thought it would. After spending nearly seven years with so many of these characters, getting to know them inside and out... it hurts to know this is the last we'll see of them. I may not have always agreed with some story decisions made, but I still loved this cast and am sad to see them go. I was pretty satisfied with everyone's endings, although honestly, Rodimus becoming a depressed wreck under Thunderclash's command trying to cling to "the good old days" may have stung the most. Whirl and Cyclonus's last scene was pretty perfect, and it's nice that Rung lives on in the Lunarians.

I wish that we got some mention of what the Scavengers were up to in the scenes that took place years later, and I do also think that Grimlock should have had more of a farewell scene, but he was never exactly a main character in this book and the issue had a lot of other stuff to cover; maybe we'll get something with him and the other Dinobots in OP #25 if we're lucky. The whole "second Lost Light" thing also felt very "have your cake and eat it too", but I suppose it's somewhat comforting knowing that there's still a happier version of the crew somewhere out there in the multiverse (although it would had been even happier if Nightbeat had made it!).

So to James Roberts, Alex Milne, Jack Lawrence, Nick Roche, Josh Burcham, Joana Lafuente, Tom B. Long, and everyone else who ever contributed to MTMTE or LL... thank you for the past several years. You did good!

Now to prepare for the sadness that will be coming with the two other last issues we'll be getting this month!  :(

#56 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3964 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:25 PM

I'm upset that we don't seem to have a Dinobot reunion planned.

#57 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6275 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:51 PM

A lot of things were left out.

The fate of Functionist Rung and the Functionist Guiding hand, if regular Rung can't die, Functionist Rung could still be out there, he was last seen heavily damaged and unless he poofed to dust he could still be alive and so could they. Plus there's still the question of their exact purpose like is there a plan for them? it wasn't answered.

The fates of Terminus, 'Nightstalker' (AKA Ravage), Pax and other AVL members who could have been killed or 'recycled' (Rewind mentioned seeing new bots and was told the Functionists recycle the sparks of those they consider obsolete) and currently live like Vehicons.

functionist Dominus Ambus, where did he go? also there's possibly still functionist Ratchet and Pharma, it'd be interesting to see that Ratchets handling of the functionists.

This 'age related burn out' could be addressed, maybe 'newer' sparks have shorter lives then older generations like Galvatron, Cyclonus and Arcee's.

These are just a few.

That said the issue just highlighted what it's characters actually are, they are the zeppo, a bunch of misfits who found each other. They wanted nothing to do with post war Cybertron and it's fitting they leave their own resolution and the universe the way they did

14424580661_11292a86a0_n.jpg

#58 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7153 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:07 PM

For reasons I can't even explain, as while I've always liked Rung as a character I've never felt particularly attached to him.

Yet I had an outsized emotional reaction there.  

Yeah, I feel like I never really connected personally with Rung but he's basically the face of the book, the mascot. So his impact on the finale is important. 

I didn't feel his fate was very unstated? He was adamant that he still had to be punished, and it seemed pretty clear that the best case scenario for him was being imprisoned alone until he dies. To me it looked like Roberts was very blatantly saying Hey People Who Hate Consequence-Free Megatron, Here You Go, He IS Consequenced Forever.

But the second part, yes. "Here's a matching piece of pandering for the people who do love I'm The Charming King of the World Megatron", which craps all over the other bit and ensures that the people he was trying to win back are still pissed off.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#59 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8512 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:19 PM

Wrote this elsewhere:

Read it. It's over. Not that I cared about Velocity or Riptide but no mention of what happened to them. What about the Protectobots? Really didn't see that Ratty thing, really. Still don't care about Anode. Poor Grimlock. I got what was missing in the book. Poor Swerve. Poor most of everybody actually.

Wow, it's really been 100 'issues' and 10 years? Yow. Still feels like something's aren't finished but oh well. Roberts should go on and do great things for another franchise for the while. Then maybe revisit.

Edit - the Protectobots are alive? Where at?

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#60 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 247 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:29 PM

Oh yeah Nightbeat died. Slipped my mind.

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users