Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 September 2019 - 06:41 PM)

Triple changer, turns from ashes to dust.

@  Rycochet : (21 September 2019 - 05:22 PM)

To Ashens we transform! We turn into a human, a brown couch and a heap of tat.

@  Patch : (21 September 2019 - 03:02 PM)

Really? Worst alt-mode ever.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 September 2019 - 02:09 PM)

To ashes we transform.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 September 2019 - 09:14 AM)

They aren't all cranky... sure, it's hard to find one in a good mood, but still.

@  unluckiness : (21 September 2019 - 09:12 AM)

Cranky geese is a hell of a tautology

@  wonko the sane? : (21 September 2019 - 09:07 AM)

... that's like the third flock of geese this morning. Do those cranky bitches know something I should know?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 September 2019 - 06:26 AM)

Isn't there a thread for that?

@  Nevermore : (21 September 2019 - 05:41 AM)

I took a few hours off from work so I could attend. Actually met two coworkers there.

@  Nevermore : (21 September 2019 - 05:41 AM)

Anyone else here who participated in a climate change rally yesterday?

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

In case anyone's wondering.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Also, she pronounces her own name "Zuh-see".

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 September 2019 - 03:04 PM)

I think I'd read a while back she was born in Berlin

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 September 2019 - 03:04 PM)

I thought Zazie Beetz was really fantastic in Deadpool 2. Really looking forward to seeing her in Joker.

@  Liege : (20 September 2019 - 12:05 PM)

Any sightings of Ratchet at U.S. Walgreens yet? A couple of stores around me have recently restocked their toy aisles but no Ratchets yet at those ones.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:54 AM)

You don't even hear a hint of an accent, and she only very rarely chooses some odd wording where she probably wasn't familiar with the more appropriate alternative due to its relative obscurity.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:41 AM)

Just watched what's possibly the most relaxed interview ever of a German Youtuber interviewing Zazie while walking around Berlin. Turns out she was born in Berlin and spent quite some time in Germany.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:39 AM)

Actors and actresses I had no idea speak fluent German, part 4.231: Zazie Beetz from Deadpool 2.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:14 PM)

It's too bad it's like this because some of what they're doing with tiny cars is pretty cool, but I'm not willing to sign up for that f-ing hassle.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:13 PM)

At this point I'm trying to decide how much of a markup I'm willing to pay some scalper scum or if I should just say to hell with it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 September 2019 - 02:11 PM)

That is pretty much the constant story with Hot Wheels. Anything you might actually want has most likely been picked clean and marked up.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:02 PM)

I've been watching some Youtube Hot Wheels videos out of boredom and discovered there exists a new car that just came out maybe a month ago that looks just like one I had when I was little, and I've been looking around hoping to get it. Slim picking everywhere, but online there are a slew of sellers asking for 3 and 4x the retail price, plus a hefty shipping markup.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 01:59 PM)

Oh, that explains the problem I've encountered with finding one little car

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 September 2019 - 01:31 PM)

Oh boy. I work at Target, and literally every single morning, there are two or three guys outside who make a beeline straight to the Hot Wheels.

@  Steevy Maximus : (18 September 2019 - 01:00 PM)

Hot Wheels

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 12:25 PM)

Which collecting community has the worst scalpers?

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 September 2019 - 09:55 PM)

I've never read the source material and don't know much about it, but I enjoyed the first film quite a bit, and found the second alright

@  Sabrblade : (17 September 2019 - 09:49 PM)

The first movie was definitely not for me. I flat out hated it. Didn't even bother with the sequel.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2019 - 05:02 PM)

I liked the first movie a lot and enjoyed the original volume of the book, and the way they were developed in parallel was really interesting. It all got super extra unpleasant as soon as they went back though. I don't remember really whether the initial sequels are "good" or not, but either way both the second movie and the second run of the book quickly demonstrated that the property sure wasn't for me.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2019 - 04:45 PM)

i have a real hard time offering praise of anything connected to an utter shitstain like Mark Millar.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2019 - 01:23 PM)

Kick Ass 2 was okay for what it was, a sequel to a film that was okay, just okay. It had a good performance from Nic Cage while the sequel had Jim Carrey who decided he didn't want to promote it after one of america's regularly scheduled massacres.

@  Benbot : (17 September 2019 - 12:20 PM)

Was Kick Ass 2 really that bad? I never got around to seeing it, but after watching the first movie again the other day, I'm thinking about it.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

Photo

Lost Light #25 Discussion, Review and Series Retrospective

lost light

181 replies to this topic

#1 Broadside

Broadside

SHARK PET DOG! SHARK PET DOG!

• Staff
  • 10991 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:12 PM

Spoiler-free review and retrospective by the Allspark staff on the front page.

Discuss the issue (and the series) here!

Edited by Broadside, 06 November 2018 - 06:13 PM.

3nAcIwa.png

#2 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9754 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:05 PM

What an end to a long and epic journey.

Thank you for everything, James Roberts!
遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#3 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7178 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for nothing, James Roberts!! Oh fine, thanks for quite a lot then. 

Weirdly, while I found so much of MTMTE/LL disappointing and never felt the same kind of quality variance in Barber's books, I find myself more interested in Roberts' future projects than Barber's. Barber's Hasbro work and continuity magic are spectacular in the context of Transformers, but what other book will let him flex a lot of those muscles? Whereas the good bits of Roberts feel much more transplantable. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#4 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 8111 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:24 PM

This is Doc at headquarters!  Great news!  Whirl's come out of his coma!

#5 Broadside

Broadside

SHARK PET DOG! SHARK PET DOG!

• Staff
  • 10991 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:26 PM

Barber's Hasbro work and continuity magic are spectacular in the context of Transformers, but what other book will let him flex a lot of those muscles? 

Back to the Future?

3nAcIwa.png

#6 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 22908 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:28 PM

Who's Tim, Noa, and Maggellan?

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#7 Daniel Adkins

Daniel Adkins
  • Retired Staff
  • 1644 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:58 PM

Who's Tim, Noa, and Maggellan?

Maruten, Unitremover, and Vexwing, respectively. 

#8 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7178 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:59 PM

Me... someone... and Vexwing. We need a list, I'm terrible at remembering who's who.  :(

Oh, Unitremover I think.

edit: Adkinsed!

Back to the Future?

Good call. I have read some of that but need to catch up. Though I can't say it's a property nearly as close to my heart as Transformers. It is a great fit for Barber though. 

Edited by Maruten, 06 November 2018 - 08:00 PM.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#9 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 9607 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:06 PM

There were individual bits in this issue I liked (the Whirl stuff was lovely, for instance), but they didn't really come together into a great whole for me. I guess being vaguely depressing is kind of the book's Thing, but I wish there could've been a nice tied-in-a-bow happy ending, instead of either a gloomy one or an "and the adventure continues" one.

And I really didn't like that the last Megatron scene was pretty much just Rodimus and Magnus mooning over him.

Edited by Jalaguy, 06 November 2018 - 08:07 PM.

#10 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7178 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:52 PM

That's the best bit of the book, Callum.  :)

We won't know until OP wraps up I guess, but this may end up being one of the most effective deaths in the final weeks of the universe. It's possible none of the others will have room to watch characters mourn them, whereas here that's the only bit we got. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#11 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3965 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:08 PM

People keep saying how sad and depressing the main timeline was, but I never really got that sense; it kind of reminded me of Adventure Time's finale, which showed a brief glimpse of life a thousand years after the end of the show - where things were different and upsetting for someone used to the main setting - but you just got the sense that life continued on for everyone, that the characters kept living their lives, and I appreciate some of that feeling seeping into this finale.

#12 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16816 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:25 PM

Ah, so that's why the last 15-ish issues of LL went nowhere - the ending is just one issue and there had to be filler up to then.

The resolution we see is very much like the end of Babylon 5, where the heroes do defeat the ultimate evil and allow life to continue for billions of people.... which means that every little evil is still left and a lot of those people turn out to be assholes.

Very clever storytelling to put the anticlimactic "real" end in the middle.

It gave me a lump in the throat and I admire the sheer love that went into the story; it ended up being everything that's good about fan service.

#13 The Magic Man

The Magic Man
  • Citizen
  • 1697 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:32 PM

Barber's Hasbro work and continuity magic are spectacular in the context of Transformers, but what other book will let him flex a lot of those muscles? Whereas the good bits of Roberts feel much more transplantable. 

Any Marvel or DC book really.

But he's EiC, so that won't happen for a while.

#14 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 22908 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:08 PM

My biggest takeaway at this moment is

Spoiler

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#15 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:21 PM

End of an era.

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#16 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7178 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:22 PM

Yeah, that just doesn't interest me. There probably are books at those publishers where he could work some magic - put him on Hawkman or something I guess. It just doesn't feel like it would be as satisfying as his Hasbro work. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#17 The Magic Man

The Magic Man
  • Citizen
  • 1697 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:57 AM

Yeah, that just doesn't interest me. There probably are books at those publishers where he could work some magic - put him on Hawkman or something I guess. It just doesn't feel like it would be as satisfying as his Hasbro work. 
I mean like, I guess. That's your thing. But like most TF writers his body of work feels like an audition to write the x-men. And it would probably be a very good run.

Edit: actually, Legion of Superheroes, Teen Titans, Avengers. Any team book with history. Oh, an Invaders book. Or JSA.

I could also see him doing something clever with the Madam Xanadu setup that Matt Wagner made.

Edit edit: Revolutionaries was a love letter to Marvel comics and basically a SHEILD book. To the point that he just turned the Action Team into the Howling Commandos. So yeah, he could do an Invaders or a SHEILD book.

Edited by The Magic Man, 07 November 2018 - 01:07 AM.

#18 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6275 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:36 AM

I have no doubt Roberts will be back to Transformers and after seeing what he did with the 86 cast, rebirth cast, poochie Drift and D listers, I hope IDW kick themselves imagining what he could have done with the 84 cast and fan made characters in familiar settings namely Earth and Cybertron. They gave him next to nothing but he still came out the winner while the rest went to gimmicks and crossovers to save their butts.

When the company inevitably goes under, when the license goes to someone else in a few years, they should at least give him a call.

14424580661_11292a86a0_n.jpg

#19 The Magic Man

The Magic Man
  • Citizen
  • 1697 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:43 AM

I have no doubt Roberts will be back to Transformers and after seeing what he did with the 86 cast, rebirth cast, poochie Drift and D listers, I hope IDW kick themselves imagining what he could have done with the 84 cast and fan made characters in familiar settings namely Earth and Cybertron. They gave him next to nothing but he still came out the winner while the rest went to gimmicks and crossovers to save their butts.

When the company inevitably goes under, when the license goes to someone else in a few years, they should at least give him a call.

I go off a wild tangent about how a person who did not write the book this thread is about should write tie-ins to a 2008 Vertigo book and somehow I was still more comprehensible then whatever this is.

#20 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7178 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:19 AM

actually, Legion of Superheroes

Oh gosh yes. Well done.

WsuGTl1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users