Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 May 2019 - 03:26 PM)

We named the dog "Indiana".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 May 2019 - 03:25 PM)

Happy 30 years to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade!

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 May 2019 - 01:35 PM)

Truly they are the compleat package.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 May 2019 - 01:24 PM)

Made from the metallized ashes of their previous enemies.

@  MEDdMI : (24 May 2019 - 07:40 AM)

They fight you with sparkles.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 May 2019 - 03:40 AM)

Phyrexians are the bishie-est.

@  unluckiness : (24 May 2019 - 12:29 AM)

That's why they always wear long sleeved shirts and long pants

@  fourteenwings : (23 May 2019 - 11:36 PM)

Everybody knows the most bishie thing about any bishie is his exposed sinew.

@  MEDdMI : (23 May 2019 - 10:04 PM)

*looks up the humanoid slivers* ...really? People were calling those bishies?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 May 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Have they made a sliver planeswalker yet?

@  RichardT1977 : (23 May 2019 - 10:29 AM)

"DECOMPOSE!"

@  Paladin : (23 May 2019 - 06:29 AM)

will they next evolve into Inhumanoids?

@  Ashley : (23 May 2019 - 02:42 AM)

the original slivers were spikey monsters. then the evolved into humanoids. now they're back to spikey bug monsters.

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM)

Wait. Slivers were bishies???

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2019 - 10:40 PM)

They haven't necessarily looped yet. It's possible they're stuck in "yaoi anatomy"

@  Ashley : (22 May 2019 - 10:35 PM)

I think Slivers in MTG have crossed the bishonen line and looped back around to monstrous

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM)

Maxi, provigo, loblaws.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM)

Which store brand is it?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

I need to buy more "no name" foods. This pizza is freaking awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

I watched Death Wish 5 last night and clearly recognized Toronto streets; didn't pull me out of Bronson's 1-man war on drugs or fashion or whatever it was that pissed him off that time

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:49 PM)

it's nice to finally be thought of as exotic by somebody! lol

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:48 PM)

In an "I cannot possibly make my brain ignore the location I'm familiar with and pretend it's whatever the story claims it is" way?

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Question for those of you living in exotic locations such as the US or the UK: If you watch a movie or a TV show that features a real-life location as a stand-in for someplace else, and you recognize the real-life location due to having been there in person, does that pull you out of the story?

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM)

Maybe you should have installed macOS in your house instead.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 May 2019 - 04:40 PM)

Nothing like coming home after a long day to find a bird in the house. And then once you sit down for a well-earned rest after leading the bird back outside, you find it had a friend. A friend who *really* doesn't understand how windows work...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:26 PM)

Bingo. The big polls don't tell people what's actually happening because that doesn't sell.

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 AM)

IIRC there are good polls but data is easily manipulated so they give people what they want to hear

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 10:58 AM)

The only way to get people interested in politics is to make into reality TV. So they lie to do it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

Photo

Phil's review of Studio Series Stinger

No replies to this topic

#1 Philister

Philister

Teutonicons Rising!

• Citizen
  • 1422 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:54 AM

StudioSeriesStinger_Map.jpg
For more pics, click on the image above

Prelude: After treating most of the Transformers as disposable CGI cannon fodder in the first three live-action movies, Age of Extinction went the next logical step and showed us humans building their own disposable CGI cannon fodder Transformers. One of them (or several of them?) was Stinger, modelled after Bumblebee, but “better in every way” according to the ad. Yes, they also had ads for their disposable CGI cannon fodder Transformers. Anyway, Stinger didn’t really do much in the movie except show off the awesome laziness of the movie’s animators by changing shape in a cloud of pixels instead of properly transforming. So if you don’t remember (or wish to remember) the movie character Stinger, that’s entirely understandable. But the toy Stinger is another matter entirely.

Robot Mode: It’s hard to come up with something new regarding a robot that becomes a car. You have the classic Hood-as-Chest version, the equally numerous Roof-as-Chest version, plus several variations of robots basically carrying the car shell on their back. Every now and then, though, you get some new ideas. The 2001 RID series showed us quite a few, Prime’s Vehicons did a great job, and now there is Stinger. A robot that at first glance shows almost no signs of becoming a car.

It’s hard to describe how exactly Stinger’s robot mode emerges from his car mode. The body of the car basically turns inside out and twists around. There are two wheels inside his chest, the windshield becomes part of his torso, the only “classic” thing about the design is that the car doors are on his arms. Stinger has one of the most intricate and original transformation schemes I have seen in a good long while and he pulls it off fantastically.

The resulting robot not only looks great, he is very nicely articulated, too. For his main weapon he carries a “stinger” on his right arm, really part of the roof folded together. Additionally he has four spiked discs that he can display on a four-armed holder emerging from his back or attach to his forearms. Just about the only slight downside here is that the chest area of the robot doesn’t click firmly together, but rather the head and neck area just fold down onto it. Would have liked a more solid connection here. Apart from that, though, a brilliant robot mode. Very original, cool looking, no real flaws.

Alternate Mode: Stinger transforms into a red and black Pagani Huayra sports car. Now apparently a number of Stingers are missing the rather prominent side mirrors in car mode, so keep an eye out for that when buying this guy (they sit on the back of his shoulders in robot mode). Anyway, after the very complex yet still intuitive transformation (21 steps according to the instruction sheet), you get a very cool-looking car with no trace of the robot mode to be seen. Not even a visible head on the underside. Stinger’s discs can be stored on the underside, but unless you put them in one hundred percent correctly they drag on the ground. So bottom line: a very nice car mode. No complaints.

Remarks: How times change. I still remember when red Bumblebees were called Cliffjumper most of the time. Even in the first Movie line we had a red Bumblebee repaint called Cliffjumper. But things change and now we have Stinger, who is a red Bumblebee only in the sense that the movie he (briefly) appeared in said that he was modelled after Bee. In the movie that led to him being brutally impaled and blown apart by that friendly and cuddly kid-appeal character Bumblebeee, but for the Studio Series it means he gets a figure all his own. And a pretty brilliant figure, too, easily beating out the Bumblebee figures we’ve seen in the Studio Series so far.

Bottom line: while holding absolutely no character-value, Stinger is a great toy, one of the most original car-formers in a long while. Recommended to everyone who isn’t utterly opposed to the Movie-style of figures.

Rating: A-

You own this figure? Rate it on TFU

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users