Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  RichardT1977 : (23 May 2019 - 10:29 AM)

"DECOMPOSE!"

@  Paladin : (23 May 2019 - 06:29 AM)

will they next evolve into Inhumanoids?

@  Ashley : (23 May 2019 - 02:42 AM)

the original slivers were spikey monsters. then the evolved into humanoids. now they're back to spikey bug monsters.

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM)

Wait. Slivers were bishies???

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2019 - 10:40 PM)

They haven't necessarily looped yet. It's possible they're stuck in "yaoi anatomy"

@  Ashley : (22 May 2019 - 10:35 PM)

I think Slivers in MTG have crossed the bishonen line and looped back around to monstrous

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM)

Maxi, provigo, loblaws.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM)

Which store brand is it?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

I need to buy more "no name" foods. This pizza is freaking awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

I watched Death Wish 5 last night and clearly recognized Toronto streets; didn't pull me out of Bronson's 1-man war on drugs or fashion or whatever it was that pissed him off that time

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:49 PM)

it's nice to finally be thought of as exotic by somebody! lol

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:48 PM)

In an "I cannot possibly make my brain ignore the location I'm familiar with and pretend it's whatever the story claims it is" way?

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Question for those of you living in exotic locations such as the US or the UK: If you watch a movie or a TV show that features a real-life location as a stand-in for someplace else, and you recognize the real-life location due to having been there in person, does that pull you out of the story?

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM)

Maybe you should have installed macOS in your house instead.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 May 2019 - 04:40 PM)

Nothing like coming home after a long day to find a bird in the house. And then once you sit down for a well-earned rest after leading the bird back outside, you find it had a friend. A friend who *really* doesn't understand how windows work...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:26 PM)

Bingo. The big polls don't tell people what's actually happening because that doesn't sell.

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 AM)

IIRC there are good polls but data is easily manipulated so they give people what they want to hear

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 10:58 AM)

The only way to get people interested in politics is to make into reality TV. So they lie to do it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 May 2019 - 03:54 PM)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Stay out of the sun or melt into a pile of gross slop.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 May 2019 - 10:26 AM)

Greasy, disappointing and still managing to be over priced?

@  Lancer : (18 May 2019 - 10:22 AM)

... Yes, it is!

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2019 - 09:48 AM)

Life's a fillet of fish!

@  unluckiness : (18 May 2019 - 08:53 AM)

ow the edge

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 07:03 AM)

a reminder that life is an unrepentant hellscape where everyone & everything you know will eventually betray you.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:45 AM)

You know, this election is what has finally broken me of any confidence at any point of pre-polling data. I mean, it's always been sketchy, but this is just... aaaargh!

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:08 AM)

I was going to make an Auspol election thread in P&R, but the outcome so far has made me feel physically ill.

@  Gamma V : (18 May 2019 - 03:28 AM)

Haven't been here in a long time.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 03:16 AM)

I have heard that, it's rather disappointing. Ah, maybe they'll just leech each others stores of "awful racist vote" and not go anywhere.

Photo

Fallout 76 Discussion thread: take me home country roads!

356 replies to this topic

#341 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1529 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:42 PM

Back to 76 because Destiny is a boring mess, and if I'm going to play a boring mess, I might as well play one that's pretty and has places I haven't seen before.

I ran into a Mothman in the woods behind Vault 76. Scared the crap out of me. I'm walking along and then *evil music & red glowing eyes* and OMG. Not really sure what happened.  I think he flew away / ran away.

Then towards Point Pleasant I saw a Scorchbeast. Uh. When did dragons show up? Big, scary flying dragons that were like 35 levels above me. I... ran.

THEN I found another set of Power Armor in Point Pleasant. I don't remember what I'm supposed to do with these things. Ended up over-encumbered and had to slow walk my way back to Camp. Stashed the chassis and armor in my stash box and I guess it's just going to sit there? I'm not high enough to use the armor and I don't have enough Cores to power the chassis for long, so, yeah.

I'm still trying to get across the river at Point Pleasant. I haven't explored that side of the map and I keep getting distracted. Still need to go back to the Vault Tec school in Morgantown, but I really want to explore more of the Forest area.

~Marduk

#342 Rust

Rust

all that was real is left behind

• Supporter
  • 45480 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:13 PM

Wife picked up the clearance copy of Fallout 76. So, by extension, I also now own Fallout 76.

Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know
So tell me do you wanna go?

#343 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 41412 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:39 PM

It's not a bad game. By any measure.

By the same yard stick, it's not a very good game, but it's not a bad game.

#344 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45480 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:10 PM

Spent about an hour and a half with it. There was minor - very minor - latency issues. A slight hesitation between pushing the button and the action occurring. Nothing to really spoil the game, though.

Opted to ignore the main quest and follow Highway 90 to the Fair Grounds. I give Bethesda this - they know how to craft environments. It was fun poking around, collecting the bears like a madman after finding a armor bench at Anchor Farm and needing it to craft Leather armor. The Scorched are a pretty stupid enemy in viewing third hand, but facing them yourself is actually a slightly frantic experience.

I got greedy and decided to poke my nose in the race track right across the road. Got killed by a Level 15 Ghoul. Serves me right for venturing so far off the beaten path, but I lost all my junk. Got a nice collection of weapons though. The areas respawn their stuff for the player, right? Like if I were to go back to the Fairground, the bears would all be back and ready to collect again?

Edited by Rust, 26 April 2019 - 07:11 PM.

Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know

#345 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 41412 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:53 PM

Yeah, but that would have happened almost immediately had you just signed out then back in. You would have wound up on another server and *chances are* that no one has looted it recently.

#346 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45480 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 04:27 AM

Good to know.

Did they ever put in a fix for the Holotape glitch (Where if you are carrying too many Holotapes it won't let you pick up any more thus "breaking" many quests that involve getting a holotape) or is that still there? Told the wife about it so she makes sure she's purging her holotape inventory at semi-regular intervals just in case.

EDIT: Back's killing me today so I opted out of work. Wife's asleep so a little more time in the game for me...it's not "clicking" by any stretch of the imagination. The Fair Grounds were fun to explore but ultimately I'm just playing Post Apocalypse Hoarding Simulator. Grabbing all the scrap I can find knowing full well that it will be useful at some point. There's a reason I stopped playing as a shop-vac in Fallout 4. On the road to the Overseer's C.A.M.P., stop by a farm and lumber yard to pick through things and I just feel...bored.

Edited by Rust, 27 April 2019 - 06:03 AM.

#347 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 41412 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 06:49 AM

I have no idea. I actually stopped playing before it came up, and have only touched it once since. It wouldn't have affected me anyway, as I made a habit in both 4 and 76 to clean out holotapes because I found the ridiculous lists on the inventory tabs to be annoying. I only ever kept the ones for active quests and games.

Dunno why I kept the games. I never played them...

Yeah: 76 didn't quite click with me as well. I enjoyed it for the world exploration, but everything else was kind of dull. Combat is okay until you hit lag spikes, and the render distance makes my usual habits of sniping hard to accomplish. Melee is fun right up until it stops being fun. Frankly, all I have left for 76 at this point is waiting for them to drop the server software for individuals to use, then seeing how much it can be modded.

#348 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45480 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 12:28 PM

Made it to Flatwoods. Poked my head around, picked up some survivor stories...it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, honestly. They crafted some very interesting, worldly people to inhabit Fallout 76's game world...and they killed all of them before you ever get a chance to meet them. Also not really digging the whole sinister undertones of the Responders that you find all over, trying to make you suspicious of the organization before ever really learning about them.

Also had a nuke go off. Thankfully it was in the final area of the game with folks wrapping up the story. It's rather stupid that a Level 5 gets the quest to kill the Scorched Beast Queen when that happens, not to mention kind of spoils things if you're going into the game blind. I get the nuke warning - that's kind of necessary - but making the final quest server wide...doesn't seem right.

#349 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 41412 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 12:57 PM

Yeah, never got that myself. But it's what happens, so I just tried to ignore it past the point of "where is it hugging landing this time" and hope it's not the whitesprings.

#350 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45480 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 06:24 PM

Wife and I both agree, Fallout 76 isn't for us.

For me, it's just Hoarders: Post Apocalypse edition with the various holotapes and notes pointing you to more stuff to hoard.

For her, it's the latency. We've got damn good internet (We're actually on a small business plan for our area, that's how much we use it) and the game chugs and starts at random intervals. We've played with graphical settings, everything on our end and still the game has hesitation between pushing a button and action. So it's not on our end.

She's gone back to Far Cry 5. I'm back to my strategy titles and enjoying what time I have with the unofficial City of Heroes server.

#351 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 41412 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:37 AM

Welp... I just uninstalled 76 and the beth launcher. I haven't played the game in weeks, and there's no point wasting space on it right now. I keep checking the changelogs, and once something interesting enough to entice me back pops up, I might be convinced to reinstall, but in the mean time... eh.

Which is ridiculous considering how much I thoroughly love fallout. I've had 4 on my computer since launch. I BUILT an entirely new computer with "run fallout 4 with mods on extreme graphics" as my design manifesto.

#352 Boss Borot

Boss Borot
  • Citizen
  • 4529 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:51 AM

It's been a month or so since I last played, but I'm still in it. The new Nukashine quests were kinda fun. Nukashine itself is pretty useless because of the random teleportation after it wears off, but it's great to be able to brew my own whiskey for my booze-dependent character.

I'll most likely drop back in once some new content hits.

Here, have a Murky photo.

murky.jpg

#353 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25105 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:56 PM

I keep getting upset this isn't Interstate '76.
Earth is Kill because Santa.

#354 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45480 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:30 AM

Haven't uninstalled the game yet. I guess there's some vain hope that it'll grab me eventually. Logged in today after work (Work overnight) and spent some time in and around Flatwoods. Found the Vault-Tec Agricultural Complex and decided to have a peek inside.

In older Bethesda-style Fallouts, these places tended to tell a story confined to them while also being a place you scavenged for ammo, medicine, and maybe a new gun or piece of armor. I've commented before how one of my gripes about Fallout 4 is that it's 200 years after the bombs and all the locations are still packed to the gills with loot - the Supermarkets still have food on the counters!

I suddenly don't see that as much of a complaint any longer. Someone had been through the Ag Building just before me. So I spent my time exploring a entirely looted building. The only things I got were the pieces of loot everyone gets. Got the story of the place on the one terminal you can access...then headed out onto the roof to take in the Mr. Farmhands go through some Feral Ghouls before they all just suddenly collapsed themselves.

It was about as authentic a post-apcoalyptic experience as I'm going to get. There was little to nothing in that building worthwhile. I'm deliberately not scrounging every light bulb and clipboard I find because that's not a gameplay cycle I particularly enjoy...and as a result I walked out of the Ag Complex empty handed. Not even a token bit of experience from fighting off crazed Mr. Farmhands.

It then struck me, the same experience was had at the Fairground. Yeah I walked away with a ton of souvenir teddy bears and pre-war money, but that's because I needed the cloth and leather for crafting. The junk of these locations IS the purpose to come to these locations. I'm not chasing guns and armor any longer, the entire game is centered around being a trashman whether you want to be or not.

#355 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!

• Supporter
  • 17853 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 01:25 PM

See, that right there is the crossroads of Good Game Design and Realism.

Turns out realistic post-apocalyptic gameplay isn't terribly compelling or rewarding... especially without a compelling narrative or entertaining NPCs.

Who would have thought?

nzo8WYb.png

#356 Boss Borot

Boss Borot
  • Citizen
  • 4529 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:08 PM

Yeah...it's realistic, but every safe being full of nothing but pre-war cash and a few rusty guns gets really dull.

#357 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45480 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:23 PM

On the flip side, what story was there was really good. The bedroll in the office and the guy adamant about getting the Mr. Farmhands up and planting crops again because people would need the food, and the struggle to get the Mr. Farmhands to just plant the damn seeds in lieu of having enough fertilizer but he wasn't a robotics guy so he was just winging it as best he could through the coding...

Fallout 76 is a weird game in that it's clear there was some genuine love and attention given to the locations/writing, but the core gameplay isn't exactly engrossing for a multiplayer online game. Then I get to thinking about the building in the context of a traditional Fallout game, like if the Responders were still an active faction you could communicate with.

Maybe a former police officer of the Responders wants you to get into the Ag complex to dig up the coding on the Mister Farmhands so he can hand it off to some people to tweak the Farmhands into guards for Flatwoods in light of the increased threat of the Scourged. But you get into the complex, and you find the guy working there to get the Farmhands to start planting in the greenhouses again because if any of them want a chance to survive, they've got the expand their diet beyond mutated meat and dubious canned goods filled with preservatives. So you have a choice, either side with the side that wants to turn the Mister Farmhands into guard robots and thus make Flatwoods ridiculously secure from random assaults from the Wasteland, or help get the Farmhands doing their jobs again and having a reliable source of food for the rest of the game.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users