Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  tigerhawk : (17 April 2021 - 03:52 PM)

0118999881999119725 3

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 April 2021 - 06:55 AM)

No, he's just old.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 April 2021 - 06:49 AM)

I think he might have had a stroke...

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 April 2021 - 04:55 AM)

Phrasing!

@  LioConvoy : (16 April 2021 - 11:05 PM)

NEED

@  LioConvoy : (16 April 2021 - 11:04 PM)

BEAST GENERAL

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2021 - 07:04 PM)

I dunno if to call them the worst salesperson ever or the best.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2021 - 01:33 PM)

They must not have really wanted to sell you anything.

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2021 - 09:19 AM)

This just happened to be the first time one ever gave up and walked away immediately after ringing the bell. Like, no patience at all or something.

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2021 - 09:17 AM)

Covid didn't stop salespeople from coming to my neighborhood. They are still a consistent annoyance.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 April 2021 - 08:16 AM)

Random like "Why does god allow terrible things?" or random like "You can see them too?!?"?

@  Echowarrior : (16 April 2021 - 07:36 AM)

And yet, I still have to deal with random idiots on the street asking me random questions.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2021 - 04:04 PM)

door to door salesmen (or those offering religion) certainly are one of the things lost to COVID that I've missed the least

@  Sabrblade : (15 April 2021 - 10:07 AM)

They rang the bell and were walking away before I even got to the door mere seconds later.

@  Sabrblade : (15 April 2021 - 10:06 AM)

I just got ding-dong-ditched by a salesperson.

@  tigerhawk : (14 April 2021 - 01:20 AM)

Sure he's a peeping tom but every single Scottish person does it!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 April 2021 - 08:09 PM)

Groundskeeper Wheelie say you're going to taste my rake today!

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 April 2021 - 06:57 PM)

"If elected mayor, me first act will be ta KILL THA WHOLE LOT 'A YA, AND.......I know it's on!"

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 April 2021 - 01:57 PM)

Campaign slogan? "Its Willie time!"

@  tigerhawk : (13 April 2021 - 10:15 AM)

I'd vote for Groundskeeper Wullie.

@  Donocropolis : (13 April 2021 - 07:25 AM)

A comic, yes, but we need a figure!

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 April 2021 - 06:27 AM)

No.. It's Tiberious Maximus... And there is a comic with such already. :D

@  Donocropolis : (12 April 2021 - 11:15 AM)

Yes. Color it like the Energon version of Unicron. Also, give us Fortress Tiberious.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 April 2021 - 09:49 AM)

Great. Now I want a borg cube unicron...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (12 April 2021 - 09:00 AM)

We still need Transformers x Star Trek toy.

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 April 2021 - 05:39 AM)

I saw most of them at retail at TRU, but that's not an option in the US anymore.

@  tigerhawk : (12 April 2021 - 04:21 AM)

Dibs on naming the Ark robot Arkonus.

@  Kalidor : (11 April 2021 - 09:48 PM)

The only Titan figure I ever saw at retail was Trypticon at Ollie's

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 April 2021 - 09:12 PM)

Robosen Prime has market crossover with not just the toy collectors, but robotics enthusiasts quite willing to pay that price for a product like this.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 April 2021 - 08:33 PM)

One of my two local TRUs will stock exactly ONE titan at a time. It usually ends up "clearanced" for about 20 bucks off cause no one is willing to pay for at full price OR discounted.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 April 2021 - 07:56 PM)

Most stores don't seem to want to stock Commanders or Titans, never mind Unicron.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 April 2021 - 07:55 PM)

I wonder if Unicron going to crowdfuning wasn't just a price issue but also stores not wanting to stock and transport something so huge.

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 April 2021 - 07:47 PM)

It is, although this thing could also be considered a STEM educational tool

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 April 2021 - 07:33 PM)

Doesn't change the fact that, for most people, $700 is a pretty hefty investment for a toy.

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 April 2021 - 07:17 PM)

I dunno, $700 doesn't seem that bad for what it does. Some of those Masterpiece figures seem to go for at least half that price, and they don't have any actual robots or even electronics.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 April 2021 - 05:35 PM)

Not to mention wallet-shattering.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (11 April 2021 - 04:30 PM)

It's a jargon-shattering figure.

@  Kalidor : (10 April 2021 - 08:50 PM)

The licensed Optimus Prime that transforms itself is the appropriate usage of the term "Third Party"

@  Donocropolis : (10 April 2021 - 08:24 AM)

That Optimus isn't built by Hasbro, only licensed. The company that makes it has been making similar robots for years, so no crowdfundng required.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 April 2021 - 08:05 AM)

Apparently they're selling one for 74 and a half thousand dollars.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 April 2021 - 08:01 AM)

We could write boston dynamics and ask?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 April 2021 - 07:59 AM)

Granted, I'm not sure how much robots with elaborate movement tend to go for.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 April 2021 - 07:56 AM)

I think with actual robotics it was easier to justify selling it at a high cost, compared to an unusually large action figure.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 April 2021 - 05:06 AM)

It is a very impressive display of robotics though.

@  tigerhawk : (10 April 2021 - 04:52 AM)

What were they thinking with that self transforming Optimus? should have been another crowd funder for that price.

@  tigerhawk : (08 April 2021 - 03:33 PM)

I wish they'd rerelease Earthrise Ramjet and Dirge.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 April 2021 - 03:04 PM)

Yay! optimus primal just arrived. So now there's... nothing for me to look forward to till scorponok drops... hmmm, I didn't think this through properly...

@  wonko the sane? : (07 April 2021 - 04:26 PM)

It's an older title which recently got a remake so...

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 April 2021 - 01:10 PM)

Ah yes- I think I've heard of that game before. I may be thinking about something else though.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 April 2021 - 08:03 AM)

It's a video game. You get hired to revive and restore a series of derelict space stations.

Photo
- - - - -

BotBots: Gotta Catch a Mall!

Botbots Blind bags Where the creativity went I guess

1859 replies to this topic

#1841 Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo
  • Citizen
  • 763 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 January 2021 - 06:41 AM

OMG I just realized Awwoof is a dog in a cage, that dog got fused to the cage and was turned into a transformer.

#1842 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3465 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:23 AM

Nice to see they are back. I thought this line was done.

#1843 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 3568 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:04 PM

Yeesh, 47 repaints (61 if you count the winner's circle) to 8 new molds.

#1844 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 19312 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:28 PM

I would always have expected that to be the case as the line went on. This kind of thing supports itself by accumulating a library of tooling that can be used over and over.

But does it have to be Professor Wellread?

#1845 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 3568 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 01:27 PM

It's the bat that gets me. Somehow ended up with like 5 copies of it at some point. I've managed to get rid of them all, but seeing another one in the lineup just reminds me of why I've lost interest in these things.

Mind you, there are a lot of clever repaints going on, with some molds that haven't gotten much use (like the penguin and mushroom), and I'm still open to continuing the Pizza Seekers... but man, is 7 repaints for every new design kinda depressing for a line that's been on hiatus for a year now. Especially since you're probably going to have to actually get 7 repaints for every new design.

#1846 TF14

TF14
  • Citizen
  • 656 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 24 January 2021 - 01:50 PM

It's the bat that gets me. Somehow ended up with like 5 copies of it at some point. I've managed to get rid of them all, but seeing another one in the lineup just reminds me of why I've lost interest in these things.

Mind you, there are a lot of clever repaints going on, with some molds that haven't gotten much use (like the penguin and mushroom), and I'm still open to continuing the Pizza Seekers... but man, is 7 repaints for every new design kinda depressing for a line that's been on hiatus for a year now. Especially since you're probably going to have to actually get 7 repaints for every new design.

Series 3 (last wave of 2019) was also very repaint heavy with few new molds but then in Series 4 (first wave of 2020) we got mostly new molds. Also keeping in mind that before the show started development Series 6 was probably going to be the end of Botbots so I could see them not wanting to make too many new molds. Well probably see a lot more news ones for series 7

Check out howtohero.tumblr.com where I discuss the finer points of superhero life. 

#1847 Corgis Pal

Corgis Pal

I don't need a rationale to sing The Internationale

• Supporter
  • 6770 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 24 January 2021 - 02:39 PM

I would always have expected that to be the case as the line went on. This kind of thing supports itself by accumulating a library of tooling that can be used over and over.

But does it have to be Professor Wellread?

Sadly yes, the instructions are printed in him.

#1848 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 15007 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 24 January 2021 - 02:56 PM

I actually half want 6 to be the end of this "phase", maybe a 7th if they can crank out one more, and then start the slate clean with the show. But then the show would need concurrent releases of its main stars, so I don't know what I want out of that situation yet.

Early on it became really clear that a chunk of each series being redecoes was a regular fact of life for this line. I mean, each series has so many individuals in it that padding is a more integral mechanic than it usually is for regular TV lines. I'm a sucker for redecoes and "player two" or other alternate color schemes, though, so this has become part of the charm for me (for some molds especially, like Unilla Icequeencone. Remorsel, and Angry Cheese). Some favoritism there, I admit, given I have far less appreciation for when the same is done with Wellread, Batsby, Nobeeoh, SA Cheez, Dimlit...

It would be more tolerable if they leaned more into that increasingly big library (instead of those above, gimme more Wasabi Breath, Fottle Barts, Incog-Eggo, Grampiano, Tutu Puffz, some of the arcade machines, Snuggle Puggle, etc), and if the reuse/repurpose ideas were more fun and clever rather than "now make the blue bag of chips a red bag". Of course, some (Duhnut/Kikmee) lend themselves better to unexpected shifts (a friggin' eyeball, now) than others. Also, I guess, options are limited by the tribe themes, although they've had some fun with those (Play Plexers and Gifted Guild I still have trouble sussing out -- is the latter just more Swag Stylers? -- although the Guild at least is a nice batch of molds in nice colors).

Plus a lot of the nicer molds were relegated to the Winner's Circle, denying them a more interesting color scheme (only one I didn't mind was Slappyhappy, as a gold brick is actually a good use of that boring mold). I've enjoyed this gimmick, but three series for it is a lot and I'd be fine if this were the end of that. That exclusive circle is getting so big it should be called the nWo.

The increasingly meh faces (there seem to be a lot of thick black outlines with no color accents, losing a lot of the appeal of the earlier series) don't really help either.

I guess, though, I'm just glad that while this series is mostly redecoes, they've managed to go multiple series now without resorting to more Spoiled Rottens versions of existing (heh) molds.

...Ah, man. Just remembered that series 6 is another one with the "unboxing pack" things like series 4's claw machine. That's annoying in its own way.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#1849 Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo
  • Citizen
  • 763 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:23 AM

Is Seawiggle meant to be sea monkeys?

#1850 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 15007 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 07:40 AM

I'm thinking a decorative fishtank plant?

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#1851 Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo
  • Citizen
  • 763 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 02:25 AM

Here's a list I made for BotBots that could be used in Beast Wars, I have the BotBots that turn into things that look like animals, as well as the plants, also I have BotBots that turn into body parts as well because of Under-3, and I have one on the list because of Fossilizers. If you think I missed anyone or if I put anyone on the list that shouldn't be on there please let me know.

Animals

1. Cuddle Wuddle
  2. Ducky Splinters
  3. Eggston the Golden
  4. Gil the Sea Monster
  5. Goldie Snuggleshine
  6. Incog-Eggo
  7. Quackles
  8. Razzle Tazzle
  9. Zwonkey Donkey

Plants

1. Aday
  2. Avocando
  3. Bonz-Eye
  4. Bum Sprout
  5. Bunches
  6. Croaks
  7. Fun Gus
  8. Goldie Lantern
  9. Goldslice
  10. Greeny Rex
  11. Halloween Knight
  12. Peary Peculiar
  13. Peels the Monkey
  14. Rootwing
  15. Seawiggle
  16. Sensei Spiny
  17. Silent Shade
  18. Smerg the Sad
  19. Snotty Stem
  20. Sour Wing
  21. Stinkosaurus Rex
  22. The Cobbler
  23. The Corn Crusader
  24. The Pollinator
  25. The Weeping Dragon
  26. Tricitrustops
  27. Trisourtops
  28. Venus Frogtrap
  29. Wizengreen

Body Parts

1. Hamurai
  2. Shuteye

Fossils

1. Bonehead the Unbrave

#1852 Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo
  • Citizen
  • 763 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 03:34 PM

Is the Gifted Guild meant to be a gift shop?

#1853 Platypus Prime

Platypus Prime
  • Citizen
  • 3070 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 31 January 2021 - 03:46 PM

I want the gold toilet paper and have it set up as a prize for living through this point in history.

#1854 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 15007 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 10:50 PM

I want the gold toilet paper and have it set up as a prize for living through this point in history.

It's what everyone in America was fighting over this time last year.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#1855 ZootyCutie

ZootyCutie
  • Citizen
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:44 PM

There's a new book listing up for BotBots!

It's a Mad Libs book for the series, set to release November 9th.

#1856 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 17573 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:33 AM

My speculation regarding how the toys may return when the Netflix series hits (pasted from facebook, hence the weird background):

Reboot possibility 1: Keep the same basic format of semi-blind packaging and make another attempt to get Walmart to stock 'em.
Reboot possibility 2: Ditch the competition with Shopkins and sell non-overlapping, non-rarity-level packages at price points Walmart is more comfortable with ($10+), but otherwise keep the basic toys the same, probably reissuing all the show characters in the first Netflix Wave.
Reboot possibility 3: Playsets! A mix of 5-packs, 8-packs, and "store set that comes with a single BotBot unavailable anywhere else!" sets, perhaps a carrying case that doubles as a mall frontage. Actual BotBots stay the same in design.
Reboot possibility 4: Upscale the BotBots so you have life-sized objects where feasible. Deluxe Burgertron turns into a 1:1 scale hamburger, and so forth, but accounting for chibi (e.g. the hammer mold wouldn't look like a real hammer, it'd have a much thicker handle).
Worst reboot possibility: Netflix-branded Walmart-exclusive minor redeco packs of just the characters who show up in the cartoon, nothing new.

---Dave

Edited by Dvandom, 27 February 2021 - 11:33 AM.

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#1857 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 15007 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:52 PM

This is all moot (to me) unless the line gets re-picked up here, but "store playset with one exclusive unique Botbot" would probably price me out. I'm already dreading the return of the gasha packs in series 6. The line would indeed benefit from playsets, though, so I don't necessarily begrudge it.

Also, after the Netflix Siege stuff, the thought of Walmart having Botbots exclusives is just making my skin crawl. Although if it's minor-redeco reissues, at least I'll feel much less motivated to actually get them.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#1858 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 19312 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:58 PM

Unexpected: Kroger has Series 5 in their Easter stuff (although I've only seen the five-packs I don't need anymore at the one store I've checked). So it looks like there's still Series 5 floating around the distribution network in the US. It might not be quite time to give up hope yet.

#1859 ZootyCutie

ZootyCutie
  • Citizen
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 11:41 AM

9780593383919_p0_v1_s600x595.jpg

Cover reveal for the Mad Libs book!

#1860 ZootyCutie

ZootyCutie
  • Citizen
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 07:36 PM

I saw this mentioned on Twitter, but BotBots has a Netflix page up.

Nothing on the page, save for a "genre feel blurb", but it's a start!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users