Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

@  TheMightyMol... : (31 July 2020 - 05:13 PM)

KHAAAAAAAN

Photo
- - - - -

BotBots: Gotta Catch a Mall!

Botbots Blind bags Where the creativity went I guess

1778 replies to this topic

#1761 TF14

TF14
  • Citizen
  • 653 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:21 AM

Dur. Sorry. That would be a great explanation if I weren't an idiot, but I meant series 4.

Oh whoops, then I got nothing. I havent seen series 4 5 packs in months (I mean, many of those months I havent been going out but eh) and I still need the Flaskenstein/Starscope/Incog-ego pack.

Check out howtohero.tumblr.com where I discuss the finer points of superhero life. 

#1762 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17970 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:16 PM

Got the Botbots young readers book in today. I wanted it because it is pretty much the only media/fiction Botbots has gotten after several years. Which is a shame because Hasbro could have done a lot of fun stuff with them with only a little effort.

The art is 100% made up of the stock art and pre existing group shots from the pre-Goldrush Games series. Which I assume made this book super cheap to make. On the up-side it was all really good art that's super cute and full of energy and personality. On the downside again the book actually credits its artist as "Hasbro." I mean come on, this is generally great fun stuff, maybe let the original artist have the credit?

As for the story, as you would expect it's very simple. but again on the upside it's exactly the story (well a simplified version) that I figured Botbots media should tell back when the first series launched: The Lost Bots tribe from the lost and found discover there are other tribes and go out into the mall to try and find where they belong. One by one they find the Tribes they "should" belong to but also find that they don't fit in there for various reasons, and that the Lost Bots was their true home and family after all.

It's kinda the obvious story to tell from the set up of those early Series but it's neat to see it actually told. It would have made a good set up for a series of Web Shorts or an Animated Special or a Pack-in Comic or something. It's a shame it took them until this late in the lines life to tell it.

Book comes with some tear-out Trading Cards for the Lost Bots (only about half of which actually feature in the story)

-ZacWilliam, I wish we were getting some more of these so they could develop the cast or the story even a little more. I'd love an origin story for the Energon mist that brings them to life. Or even just one setting up the Goldrush Games premis.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#1763 Telly

Telly

Kelp of discontent

• Retired Staff
  • 8743 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:48 PM

botbots couldve (and shouldve) been a bigger hit

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#1764 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 02:34 PM

Sorry if I'm missing a BotBots trading thread, but I ended up with 2 of the same Lawn League 8-pack and just wanted to see if anyone has the other Lawn League 8-pack they would like the trade for it. This is the pack I have:

EDIT: Did a a trade for some BotBots I was needing.

Edited by Blade Raider, 01 August 2020 - 02:37 PM.

#1765 Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo
  • Citizen
  • 723 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:27 AM

Did you guys know that Meltz Down and Waddlepop appeared in the TakaraTomy manga for God Neptune this year?

#1766 ZootyCutie

ZootyCutie
  • Citizen
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:15 PM

I've been debating on bringing it up on other sources, since TV Tropes is the only place I've seen it brought up, but there's a theory lingering around that makes me wonder: were the Spoiled Rottens maybe made in response to The Grossery Gang?

I'm guessing since season 1 was in progress during 2015, that would most likely be 2016-ish for season 2, the same year Grossery Gang came out. Just an interesting thought, considering how popular Grossery Gang got, and how BotBots in general are basically Transformerized-Shopkins, Grossery Gang's sister series.

#1767 Blacknife

Blacknife

Never heard of it; never will

• Citizen
  • 5920 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:50 PM

I mean, Micromasters were because of Micromachines.   Hasbro tends to follow hot trends in their own way. 

#1768 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 14442 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:24 AM

I think lots of these comparisons were made around the time these first released. Shopkins and Grossery Gang and whatnot did provide a nice shorthand to describe "tiny blind-bagged colorful collectible characters." The comparison to Micro Machines (and Connectables, I'll add) is apt. Hasbro does seem to have followed these trends, and frankly improved on them with one of the most fun Transformers things ever.

How are these in-store in the states? Are any series 3 still out? Are 4 and 5 out in completable numbers? I'm about to just give up on these coming out locally and start more aggressively, uh, begging for help.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#1769 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 17371 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:08 AM

The dregs of 3-5 are clearancing out at the one store in town still carrying any.  Walmart gave up last year, part of why the line is ending, AFAICT.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#1770 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 18537 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:16 AM

Target is the only national chain still carrying them. They're still getting them in semi-regularly, at least here, but what and when is all over the place. (There are something like a dozen Targets in the immediate Columbus area, and not all of them have even gotten series 4 in significant numbers yet.) It looks like series 5 is finally making its intended debut after a big batch reportedly got out early in the year.

Locally, Meijer and Kroger both still carry them, but are also still both stuck on series 3, with the exception of the series 4 gimmick-packaging boxes showing up at Meijer.

#1771 Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo
  • Citizen
  • 723 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:25 AM

Here's 5 BotBots I hope to see in the future.

A Piggy Bank, a Plastic Flamingo, a Garden Gnome, a Ghost Decoration, and a Scarecrow.

Edited by Darth Gonzo, 01 August 2020 - 10:44 AM.

#1772 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 3146 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:32 AM

My Target's just all Series 3, with one or two Series 5 8-packs. 5-packs are all gone.

Gotta say, I've totally lost interest in these things. Going to have to really downsize on them.

#1773 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 14442 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 01 August 2020 - 01:00 PM

Yikes, that's sad to hear.

Has it been made official that the line's done, beyond any further word on series 6 (and any word at all on anything beyond that)?

Sorry to hear that, Noideaforaname. My own interest has been diminished a bit by the line dying here and the pandemic/quarantine making any alternative means of following the line difficult. I'd like to complete what I can, still, though.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#1774 Hardbot

Hardbot

I'm gettin' too old for this $#!%

• Citizen
  • 1201 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:35 PM

Has it been made official that the line's done, beyond any further word on series 6 (and any word at all on anything beyond that)?

That's what I'd like to know.

I'm still faithfully searching for S4 & 5 singles and S5 Cardio Clique.

#1775 TF14

TF14
  • Citizen
  • 653 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:13 PM

Series 6 was supposed to come out today but it seems the pandemic has pushed things back (hopefully it hasnt brought the line to a premature end)

Check out howtohero.tumblr.com where I discuss the finer points of superhero life. 

#1776 Telly

Telly

Kelp of discontent

• Retired Staff
  • 8743 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 02:35 PM

i really like botbots. but having to go 20 miles out of town to get them, and the randomness of buying them online puts me off them

but if anyone happens upon an extra telly, let me know. 

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#1777 Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo
  • Citizen
  • 723 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 06:12 AM

Do you guys think we might see BotBots appear in the comics at some point?

#1778 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30619 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:49 AM

Some already have.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#1779 Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo
  • Citizen
  • 723 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:53 AM

Some already have.

I meant US comics.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users