Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (26 May 2019 - 04:06 PM)

Also, the rising stars are the Greens, especially in Germany.

@  Nevermore : (26 May 2019 - 04:06 PM)

Also, a surprising number of voters showed up to the polls, all across the EU. Which is a good sign.

@  Nevermore : (26 May 2019 - 04:05 PM)

Soooo. Another election day is over. Less stressful than the last one, at least.

@  Nevermore : (25 May 2019 - 05:09 PM)

Oooookay, Babylon Berlin. That's gotta be Plot Convenient News Urgent Edition or something.

@  wonko the sane? : (25 May 2019 - 12:03 PM)

I had no idea the beeb was renting out the dr.who writting staff to hollywood.

@  TM2-Megatron : (25 May 2019 - 11:50 AM)

A poodle, some clouds, and a giant drop of water

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 May 2019 - 05:53 AM)

Was that the one where he fights gamma mutant poodles?

@  unluckiness : (25 May 2019 - 03:14 AM)

The CG in that movie was fantastic. Shame Donkey and Fiona were written out of the movie though.

@  TM2-Megatron : (25 May 2019 - 01:20 AM)

Don't worry, though. Ang Lee's Hulk has made it, so if physical media goes this year we can all die happy

@  TM2-Megatron : (25 May 2019 - 01:12 AM)

It's not on 4K yet. Sure would be nice, though

@  Pennpenn : (25 May 2019 - 12:56 AM)

Probably, when I remember to.

@  Telly : (24 May 2019 - 11:11 PM)

you should buy it on bluray or 4k

@  Pennpenn : (24 May 2019 - 09:56 PM)

It's still not up on netflix. Bah!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 May 2019 - 03:26 PM)

We named the dog "Indiana".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 May 2019 - 03:25 PM)

Happy 30 years to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade!

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 May 2019 - 01:35 PM)

Truly they are the compleat package.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 May 2019 - 01:24 PM)

Made from the metallized ashes of their previous enemies.

@  MEDdMI : (24 May 2019 - 07:40 AM)

They fight you with sparkles.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 May 2019 - 03:40 AM)

Phyrexians are the bishie-est.

@  unluckiness : (24 May 2019 - 12:29 AM)

That's why they always wear long sleeved shirts and long pants

@  fourteenwings : (23 May 2019 - 11:36 PM)

Everybody knows the most bishie thing about any bishie is his exposed sinew.

@  MEDdMI : (23 May 2019 - 10:04 PM)

*looks up the humanoid slivers* ...really? People were calling those bishies?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 May 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Have they made a sliver planeswalker yet?

@  RichardT1977 : (23 May 2019 - 10:29 AM)

"DECOMPOSE!"

@  Paladin : (23 May 2019 - 06:29 AM)

will they next evolve into Inhumanoids?

@  Ashley : (23 May 2019 - 02:42 AM)

the original slivers were spikey monsters. then the evolved into humanoids. now they're back to spikey bug monsters.

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM)

Wait. Slivers were bishies???

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2019 - 10:40 PM)

They haven't necessarily looped yet. It's possible they're stuck in "yaoi anatomy"

@  Ashley : (22 May 2019 - 10:35 PM)

I think Slivers in MTG have crossed the bishonen line and looped back around to monstrous

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM)

Maxi, provigo, loblaws.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM)

Which store brand is it?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

I need to buy more "no name" foods. This pizza is freaking awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

Photo

Phil's review of Robots in Disguise Twinferno (Warrior)

1 reply to this topic

#1 Philister

Philister

Teutonicons Rising!

• Citizen
  • 1422 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:28 AM

RID2Twinferno_Map.jpg
For more pics, click on the image above

Prelude: He is Twinferno, better known to G1 fans as Doublecross, he of the two dragon-head hands. Now while Doublecross didn’t exactly have a large role in G1-related media, Robots in Disguise Twinferno, he of the much cooler name, has actually not appeared in ANY RID-related media. Not the cartoon, not the comics, not even some obscure Japanese pack-in story. So why does he have two figures in the RID toyline while many characters actually appearing in the cartoon have none? Nobody knows except possibly some Hasbro execs. But he is Twinferno, he of the Warrior class, so let’s see what he’s got.

Robot Mode: The RID toyline is basically known for two things right now: a general simplification of the figures and a good share of very weird designs, especially when it comes to the bad guys. Twinferno is a good guy (nominally) and much like the other good guys in RID he adheres to a more basic robot mode with a very general look... until you arrive at the fact that he has two dragon heads instead of hands. The rest of him could be any given Autobot (probably a Dinobot, given his colors), but the two dragon heads as hands are his thing and individualize him.

In terms of articulation Twinferno works fine, though it takes a moment to get used to the way his arms and hands articulate. For weapons he comes with two fire swords that double as flame breath for his dragon heads and while simple, this gimmick works surprisingly well. Nicely done. In terms of detailing he is, like most RID figures, rather basic, but still good-looking. He gives me something of an early Anime vibe somehow, which I like. So bottom line: definitely not the strangest robot mode in RID, but still weird in a good way.

Alternate Mode: Now one would kind of expect a robot with two dragon heads for hands to transform into a two-headed dragon, right? Somewhat like Doublecross did in G1, right? Wrong, because Twinferno just laughs at your expectations and his rather bland-looking robot mode instead transforms into a ... well, I am not quite sure what it is. Certainly some kind of flying vehicle, one that would not stand out in any given 1970s Japanese Anime about some giant robot or other. It kind of looks like a bright red stealth bomber to which some madman has attached twin dragonheads, possibly cackling all the while.

So yeah, Twinferno becomes a big red jet with twin dragon heads. Just because he can, I guess. The jet as such is okay, even if it’s the result of a pretty basic transformation. No landing gear, sadly, but that seems to be a common problem these days. Anyway, Twinferno’s jet mode is good in a strange way. Best way I can put.

Remarks: I am not quite sure why I bought this toy, to be honest. As I mentioned above, the character has zero media presence in RID and I wasn’t that big a fan of the G1 character it’s based on to begin with. That said, there is something about this figure that just clicks with me. It’s cool in a campy, 1970s Mecha Anime kind of way. The gimmick with the flame-breath swords works surprisingly well, too, and overall I just like this figure, though I’m really hard-pressed to articulate why.

So if you don’t mind the general look & feel of the RID line and are capable of enjoying a weird figure now and then, Twinferno might be worth a glance or two.

Rating: B-

You own this figure? Rate it on TFU!

#2 DINOBOT SLUDGE

DINOBOT SLUDGE

Jungle Warrior

• Citizen
  • 6975 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:22 PM

Simple but solid little figure.  But they needed to decide to go with Doublecross or not.

What is singature?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users