Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 01:52 PM)

50/60's Twilight Zone, the 80's, millennium and recent ones also, all are in The Twilight Zone.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 October 2020 - 08:03 AM)

Twilight zone. Duh.

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 October 2020 - 07:52 AM)

Um.... what did I log in on...

@  Paladin : (28 October 2020 - 06:17 AM)

have they actually gotten worse than the one where Homer gets paralyzed by a spider and has to learn to communicate through his farts?

@  unluckiness : (28 October 2020 - 05:53 AM)

It's only fitting that SImpsons have halloween specials since it's been a shambling corpse of its former self since its teens.

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 04:12 AM)

No I caught one of the latest one with parodies of Stranger Things which admittedly is horror series but Heaven Can Wait and The Shape of Water are Fantasy films. Plus implications of the characters being sociopaths or twisted has become a norm these days.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 October 2020 - 02:58 AM)

Which probably adds to the "reasons they should just stop making more of The Simpsons" pile.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 October 2020 - 02:58 AM)

You make it sound like The Simpsons becoming less repetitive is a bad thing.

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 02:48 AM)

Remember when Simpsons Halloween specials parodied horror movies and would have the characters make off out of character remarks like "we chucked donuts at a old man for kicks."? they don't and can't do that any more.

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 October 2020 - 08:00 PM)

Tired of the same old Halloween stuff? Check out Tubi. The depths of the schlock available is astounding.

@  Donocropolis : (27 October 2020 - 11:51 AM)

Not sure if it's news or not, but I'm at Ross right now and they have Masterpiece Movie Ironhide for $24.99

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 October 2020 - 12:45 AM)

Final Fantasy 7 Remake’s Best Buy exclusive deluxe version is available for $10 as one of today’s daily deals

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 October 2020 - 08:50 PM)

We can play the "Is it a real headline or an Onion headline" game.

@  Steevy Maximus : (26 October 2020 - 08:22 PM)

It's weird to see how much of Larry Hama's "satire" from the old GI Joe comic has no longer become satire in the past few years.

@  Maximus Ambus : (26 October 2020 - 11:29 AM)

Funny how 2020 gave me new appreciation for Dawn of the Dead 1978.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 07:43 PM)

@Fenix Twilight Sure. Just not a good one.

@  Fenix Twilight : (25 October 2020 - 04:02 PM)

@Sukoshiko Well his clothes left an impression on you didn't they?

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 October 2020 - 06:09 AM)

I just read "Tesla Cybertruck" like AC/DC's "Thunderstruck", now it won't get out of my head, so I inflict it on all of you as well.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 12:25 AM)

Tesla Cybertruck: amazing or just silly looking? I can't decide.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 12:24 AM)

Weird question: I had to deal with a guy today... I'm not exactly up on modern fashions... or even archaic fashions... But this guy... Tuxedo Jacket and shirt, studs in all the button holes except the bottom one, blue jeans, and cowboy boots... Take a moment to imagine that get up. And this was to a business meeting, trying to impress someone. What look is that? Who on earth would dress that way? (I mean on purpose)

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 06:04 PM)

I think the few up here were lost to bad placement, poor weather, and the usual language trap.

@  TM2-Megatron : (24 October 2020 - 04:25 PM)

There are 5 spread around southwestern Ontario, all run by the same company. I've only been to the one in my area, but it seems to do good business even in non-pandemic times. On long weekends, when they do triple features, there's a normally a lineup to get in Friday and Saturday nights

@  Telly : (24 October 2020 - 01:51 PM)

there been one outside of my town for as long as ive been alive at least. its gone through its share of owners and periods of being closed down, but its been open for the past decade at least

@  Otaku : (24 October 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Bias from personal experience, but drive-in theaters are nearly extinct.  I grew up near one but it went out of business in the late 80s, and was torn down and replaced with some other business by the early 90s.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 07:47 AM)

Out here, I mean. Couldn't comment on their popularity in place where they actually exist.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 06:44 AM)

I wouldn't know. They've only come back into vogue with the social distancing from the plague, and while some places have made an effort to shoestring the places together, it's all largely too distant to be accessible.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:46 PM)

I'd hate to see ours replaced by condos. They're a great way to spend an evening, whether with family or on a date. And they've never been as common in Canada as the US, so we cna't afford to lose as many

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 09:45 PM)

Largely they were either poorly placed or bought out and torn down to be replaced by something other than over priced short term parking. Mostly condos.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:14 PM)

I guess your winters are worse, so they have a shorter operating season. Drive-ins in the Toronto area can usually operate until early or mid-December; maybe even into early January if there's no real snowfall, and open up again sometime in March.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:13 PM)

THere's really only 1 left in the entire province?

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Ha! It's probably faster for me to drive to your drive in than to make my way to the only one left in quebec.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Fortunately we still have a drive-in theatre that's exempt from the closures about a 10 minute drive away

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Theatres around here are closed again for at least another couple weeks (wouldn't be surprised if it's extended by another month or so, either), but that's what they've been doing here as well. Playing the old classics

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 October 2020 - 02:36 PM)

I got Earthrise Megatron, he's better then I thought he'd be though Netflix Megatron is still tops.

@  Bass X0 : (23 October 2020 - 10:44 AM)

The original Rocky movie is also showing. May go next weekend. That’s how you get people back in the theatres - show the old classics every adult loves.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 10:35 AM)

They did a limited run showing of it up here too, back when the theaters were open... red zones suck.

@  Bass X0 : (23 October 2020 - 10:13 AM)

The original Back To The Future is showing in the Odeon in the UK now. I think I will go see it tomorrow.

@  Donocropolis : (23 October 2020 - 05:51 AM)

It was either the Bumblebee or Cliffjumper. Can't remember the colors.

@  Kalidor : (22 October 2020 - 06:43 PM)

What did it look like?

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 01:34 PM)

I swear I remember getting the Happymeal G1 minibot as a child, but I live 2.5 hours from St. Louis, which is the only place they apparently came out. It's possible that I got it on a family vacation, though, as we went to Six Flags pretty often.

@  ▲ndrusi : (22 October 2020 - 01:07 PM)

Conversely, I had the Gobot helicopter from Wendy's and I was absolutely convinced it was an actual Transformer.

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 08:13 AM)

I used to rubber-band Hot-Wheels style construction vehicles together and pretend it was Devestator.

@  Bass X0 : (21 October 2020 - 05:26 PM)

When I was about four years old, my parents bought me Bugbite and tried to tell me it was Bumblebee. I was not yet a fan of Transformers, but I knew that wasn't Bumblebee. I didn't even have the real Bumblebee at that time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 01:39 PM)

It would come with two soundtracks: the eighties classic and one featuring dubstep and the VAs are popular Youtubers.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 12:13 PM)

But yeah, reading it: I came off as a bit of an ass.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:52 AM)

I just couldn't think of worse music than disco...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 11:35 AM)

What were you trying to imply with the mocking sarcasm, though? Nobody suggested that '80s music was any more "of it's time" than '70s music.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:18 AM)

I said that disco wouldn't fare much better with the same context: media is property of it's time; biases, culture and limitations are all inherent in that. Some stuff can be brought forward because of an inherently timeless nature or the simplicity with which it was made but lots of media is a time capsule of the period of when it was made.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 08:46 AM)

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply, or what you even think I said.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 08:11 AM)

Yeah, cause disco would make the transition so much better...

Photo
- - - - -

The Macross Thread

63 replies to this topic

#41 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 68061 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 June 2019 - 01:21 PM

I'm hoping for the same thing. If I remember right the dub was pretty good. Hikaru threw me off a bit. Since his voice wasn't as deep as the Japanese version.

The DX VF-1 Strike Parts sold out very quickly too. After people assured me that it would be days before it would happen. :/

ACItEK8.png

#42 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Blood Knight Returns!

• Staff
  • 14824 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 June 2019 - 04:21 PM

Speaking of the adv dub. I was looking on youtube to see uf any episodes were still on it and, while i didn't find any. No surprise i guess.

I did find an old english dub of MOSPEADAs first episode. Its certainly different.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=7U-Ghl4zvjQ

fslookup.jpg

#43 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1438 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:12 PM

Despite now having the full 90's VHS collection of ROBOTECH, as well as at least 3 sets of the DVD releases, I regret only getting the first 2 disks of Macross when ADV brought it out.  At the time, Best Buy was known for carrying the collected box sets later, and quickly putting them on clearance, so I decided to wait.  Then forgot about it.  

It looks like back in 2014 there was an Amazon.com release that had ROBOTECH as well as the ADV sub and dub of Macross in it, so missed out there, too. 

Vic did throw me off as well, as I had been so used to Tony Oliver as Rick, and while neither are deep voices, they are definitely distinct. 

Dunno, though.  I would PROBABLY try to watch a dub of Macross 7 if it ever came out, but I fear that, even with my favorite voice actors, I would still despise the two main characters and have that annoy me throughout...

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#44 Telly

Telly

Kelp of discontent

• Retired Staff
  • 8968 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 09 June 2019 - 01:39 PM

i remember having some vhs of macross saga in the late 80s. they were from fhe (family home entertainment). they were edited to hell and back, and then edited again for good measure. id say at least half of the series was cut out and it seemed to focus on the war part of the show. as an example, the episode "a rainy night" had only the first and last 5 minutes of the episode (possibly even less). everything with roy and claudias younger days was axed. it was ridiculous and a waste of money. had i known they were chopped up so much, i wouldnt have gotten them

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#45 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2611 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 09 June 2019 - 02:15 PM

I rented those very same VHS back in the 90's from my local video store. I quickly saw they were edited as stuff I remembered from the broadcast versions were missing, but at the time I didn't complain as it was the 1st time I could watch most of Macross.

Back in the day the only local channel that played it aired it at noon when I was at school and no VCR so I only caught an odd episode on days when I was home sick.

#46 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2611 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:14 PM

Hmm... What;s this?

1yvuedwtf7431.jpg

#47 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 14824 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:11 PM

That's... interesting. In an ominous kind of way.

I mean, at this point i'm just mentally repeating to myself. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HG, JUST GIVE UP AND LET IT GO ALREADY!

fslookup.jpg

#48 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 5119 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:55 PM

Eh, unless they announce some sort of new agreement with Taksunoku (which I don't see as likely given how contentious things have been between them), I don't think anybody cares.

Any anime they MIGHT have access to is likely well expired or not worth the fight.  They haven't made any significant production efforts in over a decade.  Their reputation has been garbage even longer, so I don't see ANY company willing to work with them.

Of course, they could blindside us all and announce a new agreement to bring Macross out in the states with assistance from Harmony Gold.

#49 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7962 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 05:30 AM

Wow. I'm surprised to see HG willing to even discuss this, so I'm sure they have something dreadful up their sleeves.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#50 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2611 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:47 PM

Yeah I can't tell if this is distressing or not.

Like it could be a last minute cash grab of Blu Ray releases of Robotech.

Some sort of ill conceived plot to continue Robotech without the Tatsunoko shows.

Or something far more sinister. "We don't care what Tatsunoko says, we own this stuff forever and will fight of extradition in our heavily armed bunker!"

#51 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2611 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:31 AM

Welp! Came across a listing for the ADV slimdisc boxed set of Macross over the weekend for 200$ U.S. and pulled the trigger.
It hurt me in the wallet as the Canadian dollar is pretty weak at the moment, but I've been obsessing over finding the dub for a while now so I'm pretty happy.

Now I just have wait for it to cross the Atlantic to get to me (seller was in Manchester)

Of course you know that because I bought this it means a macross blu ray will be announced the day before I get it so... YOU'RE WELCOME EVERYBODY!

Edited by Dave Zero1, 23 July 2019 - 01:31 AM.

#52 Classic Sideways

Classic Sideways

Unicronian Agent

• Citizen
  • 5858 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:01 AM

Wow is the ADV set worth that much really? Makes me glad I got mine back in the day below retail when I was working at B&N

#53 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2611 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:58 PM

Well, it's hard to pin down an average, as its really rare to come by, the only other seller I found was on a Mexican craigslist who was asking the equivalent of 300$, oh and then there's this nonsense.

But speaking realistically, It's a cult series with the novelty of an english dub with one of the original Japanese Actors, this coupled with its scarcity pretty much means you can name your price.

Who knows, I may even have gotten it on the cheap at 200$ 

#54 Have a Pickle

Have a Pickle

Have a Pickle

• Supporter
  • 4704 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:04 PM

Here it is for $35 bucks. Same version I have. Great quality, dub is all there, subs if you want them. I think the dub is pretty great. Get your $200 back and buy this.

https://rover.ebay.c...tm/223447854789

Edited by Ya Kid K MK VII, 23 July 2019 - 11:09 PM.

#55 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 14824 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:37 AM

Ooh, found that on ebay uk. I might jump on that myself!

fslookup.jpg

#56 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Candies Please!

• Supporter
  • 63436 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:22 PM

I'm happy with my big blue protoculture boxset ..which I see is the ADV one people might be talking about... I honestly couldn't remember who put it out

#57 Ryougabot

Ryougabot
  • Citizen
  • 2023 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:16 AM

heh

Attached Thumbnails

• 68917713_1299396450246521_2776235966434639872_n.jpg

"Expect me when I arrive" - G'kar
Ryougabot

#58 repowers

repowers

I AM THE ONE OF GOOD!!!

• Citizen
  • 1670 posts
  • Location:It looks like he's headed directly toward... WASHINGTON, D.C.!!

Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:27 AM

So Amazon Prime not only has the entire Robotech series for streaming**, they also have subtitled versions of the original 3 animes that it came from. I've been sampling some here and there just to see what they were like.

The first big difference is the music. Robotech's background music, on the whole, is so. much. better. Most of the original music is either random Jpop ballads, or else generic music roughly on part with the Headmaster series -- it exists only to tell you that this is a heroic moment, or a tense moment, but it does so in the most absolutely tepid way possible. It doesn't make you feel it.

The worst moment I've run across so far was in Genesis Climber MOSPEDA, during "Hired Gun" ("Arpeggio of Murder") where the gang encounters the guy that got experimented on by the Invid and is now hunting down soldiers. The entirety of the episode's tense, murderous climax and conclusion is scored with a peppy-chill lounge jazz song that, while enjoyable on its own, has absolutely no relationship to anything happening on screen, and actively sucks the drama and emotion out of the scene.

The second big difference is in the scripting. American anime dubs are rightly stereotyped as filling every single second of screen time with characters jabbering away where there was no dialog in the original, and Robotech is no exception. The Japanese, on the other hand, have a thing for really long and inexplicable silences -- as if staring at Lunk or Rook's face in silent closeup for ten seconds will suddenly give us insight into what they're thinking. This is one area where I wish we could split the difference.

Robotech generally wasn't afraid to look death in the eye, but it still flinched sometimes. The worst and most obvious case is, again, from Genesis Climber. After Colonel Wolff has turned against his Invid allies and been killed, we see a huge squad of Invid troops looming over the town he was protecting. The Regiss gives a ridiculous voiceover about how despite this defeat, their agent will infiltrate the humans and finally allow them to defeat them, and we fade to black.

From the action on-screen, it is glaringly obvious that the Invid are about to annihilate the entire town and murder everyone in it. Sure enough, the original features ominous silence and the oblivious laughter of the doomed townspeople.

"Hired Gun" again provides a moment of ridiculous re-scripting by the American writers. Rook feeds us a bunch of whiffle about how Dusty is suddenly a hero because he pushed her out of the way and shot one Invid before being annihilated. In the original, there's barely any dialog, but certainly nobody eulogizes the guy for being a hero. It's all the more inane when you discover that the dub script changes Dusty's motivation -- he isn't killing his friends who he thinks abandoned him; he's trying to kill 100 soldiers because the Invid said they'd restore his body if he did. The X's on his arm represent 10 soldiers each; he's close to his goal.

A third point is how the original series explains some strange incongruities from Robotech. Not just the obvious ones, like how New York City is still standing, but the more weird ones, too -- like where did those three old soldiers and their ancient spaceship come from? Genesis Climber explains it: the first attempt to liberate Earth was 30 years ago. Scott's force was the second. It also makes clear that he's not the sole survivor; many others touched down all over the globe, which is where all those soldiers wandering around have come from.

Original-voice Annie is annoying. Original-voice Dana is incredibly annoying.

In general I approve of the name changes, but why did Jim need to become Lunk, and Ray become Rand?

** This version, unfortunately, has been "digitally remastered" which means a ton of crappy sound effects were slathered on top of it to "take advantage of" surround sound or whatever. And I do mean a TON. The original, distinctive sound effects are almost buried under this wall of scratchy vague noise.

repowers @ TFWiki.net

Robert is made to withstand plenty of play, and transforms from car to robot! Go, Robert, go!

Why will we solve after Robert grasps the abysmal winter's ulcer? He may change rural tailors, do you join them? The films, tapes, and spoons are all good and fresh.

#59 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 14824 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:52 AM

Meanwhile, UK Amazon Prime has... just the Shadow Chronicles. Although you can watch Macross II if you pay for it. We certainly don't have subs of Macross or the others.

fslookup.jpg

#60 Telly

Telly

Kelp of discontent

• Retired Staff
  • 8968 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:47 AM

The first big difference is the music. Robotech's background music, on the whole, is so. much. better. Most of the original music is either random Jpop ballads, or else generic music roughly on part with the Headmaster series -- it exists only to tell you that this is a heroic moment, or a tense moment, but it does so in the most absolutely tepid way possible. It doesn't make you feel it.

i spent $100 importing the soundtrack to macross back in the early 90s, so i have to say the music is brilliant just for that reason :p

The second big difference is in the scripting. American anime dubs are rightly stereotyped as filling every single second of screen time with characters jabbering away where there was no dialog in the original, and Robotech is no exception. The Japanese, on the other hand, have a thing for really long and inexplicable silences -- as if staring at Lunk or Rook's face in silent closeup for ten seconds will suddenly give us insight into what they're thinking. This is one area where I wish we could split the difference.

that was one thing that really jumped out at me. robotech was CONSTANT parade of jibber jabber spewing out. its particularly annoying when whats said is just describing whats going on on screen. the sdf transforms and descends to earth and lands in the ocean is accompanied by the narrator saying "the sdf transforms and descends to earth and lands in the ocean". thank you, but i can see it, dont need to be told it as well

but why did Jim need to become Lunk

i think they were trying to make him the "big, tough dumb guy" in the group, so its probly short for lunkhead. i got nothin about rands name though

somewhat related to the topic-after growing up (in the 80s) watching clash of the bionoids, vengence of the space pirate and revenge of the ninja warrior, thanks to you tube and tubi i have now seen do you remember love, arcadia of my youth and the dagger of kamui.

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users