Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 04:29 AM)

2019 has been one long South Park episode.

@  Sjogre : (16 November 2019 - 10:46 PM)

Okay, that actually sounds pretty fun.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 12:49 PM)

It was set in the forties, featured Nazi's as the villains and had Kiko fight mostly Ice Age animals and a mythical dragon that now ruled the island guarding Kongs treasure.

@  Paladin : (15 November 2019 - 11:37 AM)

and it was ALSO eleven hours long.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 10:55 AM)

In a alternate reality Peter Jackson made Son of Kong.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 November 2019 - 09:30 AM)

To be fair to boba: everyone else to go into the sarlacc was a sacrifice. Stripped almost naked and tossed, and didn't have body armor, a jetpack and a weapon.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 November 2019 - 06:54 AM)

Nah, he just has to keep up his plot insurance payments so he can shoot his way out of the Sarlacc again.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 November 2019 - 02:59 AM)

Funny, but everyone knows he bounty hunts for Jabba Hutt to finance his 'Vette.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 November 2019 - 02:54 AM)

Okay.. Not sure why.. but streaming is harder than jsut playing the game.. even though that's pretty much what I was doing.

@  Xellos : (14 November 2019 - 06:47 PM)

What type of vehicle does Boba Fett use for time travel? A Man-DeLorean.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 03:55 PM)

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been to a walk-in clinic, as I tend not to get sick (and the one time I do every 4-5 years, I prefer just riding it out at home), but the last time I went I'm pretty sure you could just show up, no appointment. It may be different in Quebec,though

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

Photo
- - - - -

The Macross Thread

62 replies to this topic

#1 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9905 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:01 AM

Happy 36th birthday to Macross!

5fZAGeM.jpg

What fond memories do you have of this magnificent metaseries that gave us Generation 1 Jetfire?

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#2 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8681 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:00 AM

What fond memories do you have of this magnificent metaseries that gave us Generation 1 Jetfire?

Robotech.

#3 Telly

Telly

Like a tiny sandwich...

• Retired Staff
  • 8201 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:06 AM

Only macross i saw when i was a kid was clash of the bionoids. Story made zero sense but my god the animation! The opening shot of the macross and the valks and all that detail blew my eyes. It was amazing. Even more so when you realize it was all done by hand. No cgi to be seen

Animation-wise, that movie had yet to be topped, at least in my opinion. Granted, the amount of anime ive seen is miniscule compared to whats available nowadays

I finally saw macross maybe 10 or so years ago? Whenever adv did the dub with mari iijima. Other than the name changes and a few story details being changed (supervision army, protoculture), i never saw much difference between macross and macross saga :p

Edited by Telly, 03 October 2018 - 01:36 PM.

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#4 1stStageMidboss

1stStageMidboss
  • Citizen
  • 3276 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 03:45 AM

I've still never watched any of the original Macross, which is weird because I've loved every other (canon) series. Delta, in particular, was a show that pushed pretty much all my buttons when I really needed something to distract me from the 2016-ness of 2016. I didn't come to Macross at a time for it to be formative for me, but love giant robots, I love shows about The Power Of Music, and planes are cool, so it's a franchise that'll always get my attention.
Twitter       Tumblr
Steam: Midboss
PSN: AWindfall

#5 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1668 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:41 PM

Macross II.  You're not canon now, but I still love you.  Even with the weird floating Macross head at the end.  You gave us the VF-II and VF-2JA* and those are two pretty, pretty jets (*going with Palladium's name here). 

I never finished Macross 7 before it got pulled from Youtube.  I wish I had.  My fansubs stopped at, uh, episode 12 or so way back when.  Right during the Protodevlin Vampire attacks.  Still, you gave us Fire Bomber and that hasn't been topped yet.  Also "The Galaxy is Calling Me," with the great "Heart & Soul" duet at the end. Ooh and Dynamite 7.  Such a great OAV.

I've been going through Frontier again. Still haven't made it to Delta.  I guess that's one I'll have to poke around for, since there are no official distribution channels (yet). 

I wish I still had a VCR to watch my copies of DYRL. Poor tapes have probably crumbled at this point.

~Marduk

#6 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 66000 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:02 PM

Love SDF Macross, Macross: DYRL, and Macross Plus.  My first exposure (outside of possibly some Robotech - as a kid I found too boring) was Macross II when it was first released.

Got interested in Macross (prior to Macross Plus coming out but after II) via old VHS tapes of Robotech my cousin had.  I was around 13 at the time (in the early to mid 1990's) and could appreciate the story more than my 5 year old self could.

I've seen some of 7 and the subsequent films / movies stemming from that.

Saw the first episode of Zero (didn't get to watch the rest).  Because of Harmony Gold's stranglehold on anything Macross, I haven't really seen anything that was made after Plus and 7.  Which is a shame to me.

Have all the Macross 7 Trash manga.  Have all the reissue 1/55 Valks as well as some Yamatos.  Had some of the Plus stuff that was released in the late 90's too, as well as many figurines.  I've seen Mari Iijima perform and had my photo taken with her.  I've seen Yoko Kanno perform too.

Just got this beauty in the mail.  Haven't had time to fiddle with it yet.

20181002_182006.jpg

ACItEK8.png

#7 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1668 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:28 PM

Have all the Macross 7 Trash manga.  Have all the reissue 1/55 Valks as well as some Yamatos.  Had some of the Plus stuff that was released in the late 90's too, as well as many figurines.  I've seen Mari Iijima perform and had my photo taken with her.  I've seen Yoko Kanno perform too.

I've got the first Yamato YF-21.  I skipped the YF-19 and VF-11 because there were QC problems at the time.  I think I remember those early Yamato toys crumbling right out of the box.  Kind of wish I had gone for the VF-11, because Valkyrie toys got super expensive in the intervening years.

I don't have any "official" VF-1s outside of one of the 1/100 Toynami releases (which also has quality issues).  I do have the green VF-1J knock-off from way, way, way back when. Never did own a G1 Jetfire.

I've got the originals of both the YF-19Kai Fire Valkyrie and the VF-17D Nightmare.  Picked them up in the mid/late 90s.

~Marduk

#8 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 66000 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:03 PM

I had the Yamato YF-21 (like you) and the VF-11.  The VF-11's leg joint shredded over time.  I think I glued it.  I may have eventually thrown one or both away.  Either that or their in storage with the other Yamatos.

ACItEK8.png

#9 Telly

Telly

Like a tiny sandwich...

• Retired Staff
  • 8201 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:11 PM

Macross II. You're not canon now, but I still love you.  Even with the weird floating Macross head at the end.

I wish I still had a VCR to watch my copies of DYRL. Poor tapes have probably crumbled at this point.

~Marduk

i still have my vhs tapes of those as well. dyrl is still the crappy dub but its the proper version of it as it shows hikaru ALIVE after destroying boddole zers ship (i always assumed he died in the cotb version). picked it up a few years ago. i saw "few", but its probly been 20 years now lol

macross II i like due mainly to haruhiko mikimotos charater designs and the music. mikimotos people are GORGEOUS. i especially like how he does eyes

ive often thought of taking my vhs of dyrl to walmart and have them put it on dvd, but they want $20 to do it. i also want to take my original, unspecial editioned star wars triliogy vhs tapes and put them on dvd too

#10 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1668 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:48 PM

I had the Yamato YF-21 (like you) and the VF-11.  The VF-11's leg joint shredded over time.  I think I glued it.  I may have eventually thrown one or both away.  Either that or their in storage with the other Yamatos.

I had mine out a few months ago.  Transforming it was iffy.  I was certain something would break - more than the usual bits that pop off - but it held together.  Probably its last go-round, though.  I'm not sure I want to risk it falling apart on me like some of my other toys (*looks at Revoltech VF-1J*).  Still does make a good fighter, even with the ugly underside. 

ive often thought of taking my vhs of dyrl to walmart and have them put it on dvd, but they want $20 to do it. i also want to take my original, unspecial editioned star wars triliogy vhs tapes and put them on dvd too

Will Walmart do copyrighted stuff?  I might find that worth it for my copies of DYRL, Flashback 2012, and Love, Live, Alive.  Assuming the VHS hasn't fallen apart (and that I still have them, now that I think about it). I'm still disappointed that the "Robotech" version of Love, Live, Alive didn't include the original.

The Macross II Movie DVD is still pretty cheap on Amazon.  Macross Plus, not so much. I'm guessing that'll change in a few years though, once whatever is going to happen with HGUSA happens.

~Marduk

#11 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Dark Knight is Digivolving!

• Staff
  • 13637 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:52 PM

My first experience of Macross that wasn't Robotech was Macross Plus. It was and is amazing. And the aerial battle at the end is just beautiful.

Caught the last part of Macross II on an Anime Sky channel at some ungodly hour of the early morning. It was pretty good and weird.

Managed to watch most of the ADV SDF Macross dub on youtube, but could never buy them since their prices skyrocketed on Amazon and then they disappeared. Bummer. Managed to watch Clash of the Bionoids and a pretty ok fandub of DYRL on youtube too. I keep looking for subs of series like Frontier or Delta or Zero, but i keep missing them.

Would to get even one of the dx chogokin Valks, but by god are their prices to rich for my blood.

fslookup.jpg

#12 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9905 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:59 PM

With me, I had heard vague details over the years about the Japanese sci-fi franchise Macross , its U.S. ripoff adaptation Robotech by that one satanic company, and how it spawned Jetfire in Transformers. Then in 2015 I saw a teaser for the upcoming Macross Delta and decided to check it out. That in turn prompted me to look at Macross Frontier. And boy do I love Frontier!

My favorite single scene: the climax of the second Frontier movie, featuring the eponymous "Sayonara no Tsubasa" .

Just got this beauty in the mail.  Haven't had time to fiddle with it yet.

attachicon.gif20181002_182006.jpg

Oh wow, you lucky duck.

Edited by SHIELD Agent 47, 20 November 2018 - 10:30 PM.

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#13 Telly

Telly

Like a tiny sandwich...

• Retired Staff
  • 8201 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:16 PM

I had mine out a few months ago.  Transforming it was iffy.  I was certain something would break - more than the usual bits that pop off - but it held together.  Probably its last go-round, though.  I'm not sure I want to risk it falling apart on me like some of my other toys (*looks at Revoltech VF-1J*).  Still does make a good fighter, even with the ugly underside. 

Will Walmart do copyrighted stuff? 

i did think of that as well. guess i could ask em next time im there

#14 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 556 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:47 PM

I'mma just leave this here:

Also, your reminder that Nikki Basara saved the space whales from space whalers by proving that they're sentient by getting them to sing along with him:

(Gamlin's face at 5:48 is priceless)

(Basara is the best.  His parents told him music could move mountains...So he sang at the mountains for training.)

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 03 October 2018 - 06:03 PM.

#15 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 13637 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:01 PM

You know, the YF-19 is still one of, if not my favourite Valkyrie designs. I think its the forward sweeping wings. It just looks cool!

fslookup.jpg

#16 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1279 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:45 PM

Macross is kinda an oddity for me, it helped get me into anime, yet "helped" me out of one aspect of anime.

Back in the mid 90's when I was first getting into anime (due to Ronin Warriors and Teknoman), Clash of the Bionoids was one of the first things I rented at Blockbuster, followed later by Macross II, then buying Macross Plus later.  The Robotech VHS were widely available at the time, and, knowing of the connection between Macross and Robotech through years of reading Wizard magazine and the like, I got hooked into Robotech.

I got a copy of DYRL VHS later, and accidentally paused it during the frame or two near the end where one of the Macross missiles is replaced with a Budweiser can.  That was quiet amusing when we saw that.

I did get one of the Yamato VF-1s (that had the removable legs to transform, otherwise a good figure) and a VF-19 that was a sky blue in color, not the original version.  That was cool, but the paint scraped off during transformation...

Now to the bad influence, Macross 7.  I watched the fansubs (which I paid for) with my friend, did not like the characters, music, plot (mostly the plot - saving the universe with music that I don't care for), and still is one of the only series where I wish the main characters were killed off.  I can actually trace my subbing of subtitles straight back to my experience with it.  But to each their own.

On a happier note, while I was in Japan earlier this year, I picked up the DX Chogokin SV-262Hs Draken III.  I have only opened it, and not transformed it (do not have room to display for the moment). I do very love the mecha designs of the series, overall much more than the Gundam series.

And I really wish I had bought all the Macross DVDs back when ADV redubbed it, only got the first few.  Was strange hearing Vic Mignogna instead of Tony Oliver, though.

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#17 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5417 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:24 PM

There's nothing more 90s than piloting a fire red transforming mecha with a guitar.

#18 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 66000 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:06 PM

Great stuff everyone. :)

Telly, I had thought that Hikaru had died at the end of Clash of the Bionoids too. Since you never see him after and Minmay and Misa's conversation almost seems like he may have. :doh

Good thing I saw DYRL shortly after.

ACItEK8.png

#19 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 13637 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 05:19 AM

I think Macross 7 might still be the one Macross show i know of, but have never seen any of.

Oh yeah, just had a quick look at dx chogokin Valks on Amazon. Here in the uk, they are anywhere from £190 to £750 or more. Its crackers.

The ADV Dub was pretty good. I'd like to think if HG does, finally, lose their iron grip on things. We might see that get a rerelease, along withnew dubs of Macross shows. One can dream.

fslookup.jpg

#20 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5417 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:22 AM

Yeah, they're insanely priced because they're nearly impossible to get a hold of first-hand.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users