Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 June 2019 - 01:33 PM)

Also you have Bayonetta and a bunch of Fire Emblem people.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 June 2019 - 01:33 PM)

...I mean, Tales character. Probably up to/for it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 June 2019 - 01:26 PM)

But what if I need to kill a god? Or several of them?

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 June 2019 - 11:25 AM)

Kratos is allowed, but only the one from Tales of Symphonia

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 June 2019 - 10:56 AM)

So no Kratos?

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 June 2019 - 10:42 AM)

In any case I'd rather have another Fire Emblem character than another character from a PlayStation exclusive game who teeeeeechnically was in a spinoff.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 June 2019 - 10:39 AM)

Kong had his name on the games first, but Mario was the protagonist first. It's debatable.

@  Rycochet : (17 June 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Wouldn't Mario be the one spun off from the Donkey Kong franchise, given that Kong was first?

@  Pennpenn : (17 June 2019 - 05:19 AM)

I would count Wario and Yoshi, but not DK (might be because I wasn't even aware DK was spun off from the Mario franchise until I was in my mid-20s, but whatever)

@  unluckiness : (17 June 2019 - 04:13 AM)

But to be fair, Corrin is the only one I particularly dislike and it's really more boredom due to their blandness as characters

@  unluckiness : (17 June 2019 - 04:09 AM)

It would depend on whether or not you count DK, Wario and Yoshi as part of the Mario franchise or separate. Scratch that, there are more Mario characters even with just the mushroom symbol people but it's a close call.

@  Pennpenn : (17 June 2019 - 02:55 AM)

You'd figure Fire Emblem would have enough characters in Smash. Kinda feels like there's more FE characters than Mario characters.

@  unluckiness : (16 June 2019 - 01:20 AM)

And for hug's sake, I hope that the new Fire Emblem's PC isn't one of the DLC

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 June 2019 - 04:11 PM)

Smash Bros could never touch a new franchise again, and I'd still have laundry lists of side characters and villains I'd love to see included.

@  unluckiness : (15 June 2019 - 09:36 AM)

DINNER

@  SG Roadbuster : (15 June 2019 - 09:36 AM)

cuz i wanna fight a boat

@  SG Roadbuster : (15 June 2019 - 09:35 AM)

if we must have another zelda character, id want the king of red lion

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 10:38 PM)

I would unironically love Tingle in Smash.

@  Paladin : (14 June 2019 - 02:06 PM)

they HAVE to put Travis Touchdown in at some point now, right???

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 June 2019 - 01:24 PM)

Right after Shaq.

@  Locoman : (14 June 2019 - 12:36 PM)

When will we get Bluster Kong in Smash?

@  unluckiness : (14 June 2019 - 08:20 AM)

The last three DLC characters are Tingle, Charles Barkley and L Tetris block with Reverse L Tetris block as an Echo fighter.

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Pipe dream Smash entry: The Prince from the Katamari series. :D

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 06:35 AM)

The space/time around them gets frozen too! ....or something.

@  unluckiness : (14 June 2019 - 06:01 AM)

I still want to find out how freezing people suspends them in midair

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 June 2019 - 02:45 AM)

We really need Subzero or Scorpion in Smash. Violence aside, they are pretty big gaming icons as well.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2019 - 08:18 PM)

Given Nintendo's relationship with Tecmo, I'm still waiting for Ryu Hyabusa

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 June 2019 - 07:19 PM)

I'm still waiting for Doomguy.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I just started watching High School DxD (don't judge me...) and I caught on the Nintendo Treehouse some request Rias for Smash lol

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 June 2019 - 11:25 AM)

I have having to watch a video to find out why someone wanted me to watch the video

@  Nevermore : (11 June 2019 - 04:58 PM)

I remember when the TPB for The Dark Age 2 was delayed for an entire year...

@  Trpodeca : (11 June 2019 - 03:55 AM)

I just wish they'd release the Astro City paperback trades.

@  Nevermore : (10 June 2019 - 05:31 AM)

As an open-minded heterosexual, I wouldn't mind seeing more of that.

@  Nevermore : (10 June 2019 - 05:29 AM)

Currently in the process of re-reading Kurt Busiek's Astro City. Big props for the issue featuring the "Dancing Master" and its portrayal of non-stereotypical gay characters.

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 June 2019 - 05:25 AM)

Don't phone charges often contain special rapid charge circuitry, though? The voltage might be higher too, given the selfie stick probably has a very basic battery.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (09 June 2019 - 11:28 PM)

Glad to be of assistance!

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 10:32 PM)

*checks selfie stick and phone charger* huh. perfect fit. thanks!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (09 June 2019 - 09:58 PM)

I would use the USB-to-AC adapter that came with my iPhone, though I gather you must have a different brand of cell phone.

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:42 PM)

In that case a generic adapter is probably your best bet, then. Keep in mind a lot of hotels now have plain USB outlets in rooms too, though; but I guess that's not guaranteed

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 05:31 PM)

yeah, i just need something small to plug into the wall. im not sure im taking my laptop on my trip later this year and i want a way to charge my stuff

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:04 PM)

They also have wall outlets with built-in USB in addition to the two regular plugs; I installed those around my place so I have USB ports everywhere

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:02 PM)

You might be able to get a generic adapter to use with it at Radio Shack if you know the appropriate voltages or whatever

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:01 PM)

It came with a USB cable with no AC adapter? A lot of lower priced electronics do that, presumably assuming that USB is pretty ubiquitous

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:00 PM)

Yeah, must be, I guess.

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 04:59 PM)

maybe having bluetooth has something to do with it?

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 04:58 PM)

the one i got has an on/off button, and came with a usb to attach to my laptop to charge it. its this one https://www.walmart....ility/432985497

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 04:51 PM)

Selfie sticks have power? I thought they were to just hold the phone away from you

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 04:44 PM)

need some technical help.how do i charge my selfie stick without using my laptop? is there some kind of portable charger? i know it sounds like a dumb question, but i dont know very much about this stuff

@  MEDdMI : (08 June 2019 - 06:58 PM)

Different songs or overdosing don't work for me. My brain can play multiple songs at once. Best to do something else to distract me.

@  Xellos : (08 June 2019 - 05:36 PM)

Still, the worst is having the last song I hear before going into work being stuck in my head all day.

Photo
- - - - -

The Macross Thread

49 replies to this topic

#1 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9394 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:01 AM

Happy 36th birthday to Macross!

5fZAGeM.jpg

What fond memories do you have of this magnificent metaseries that gave us Generation 1 Jetfire?

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#2 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8508 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:00 AM

What fond memories do you have of this magnificent metaseries that gave us Generation 1 Jetfire?

Robotech.

#3 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 7857 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:06 AM

Only macross i saw when i was a kid was clash of the bionoids. Story made zero sense but my god the animation! The opening shot of the macross and the valks and all that detail blew my eyes. It was amazing. Even more so when you realize it was all done by hand. No cgi to be seen

Animation-wise, that movie had yet to be topped, at least in my opinion. Granted, the amount of anime ive seen is miniscule compared to whats available nowadays

I finally saw macross maybe 10 or so years ago? Whenever adv did the dub with mari iijima. Other than the name changes and a few story details being changed (supervision army, protoculture), i never saw much difference between macross and macross saga :p

Edited by Telly, 03 October 2018 - 01:36 PM.

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#4 1stStageMidboss

1stStageMidboss
  • Citizen
  • 3262 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 03:45 AM

I've still never watched any of the original Macross, which is weird because I've loved every other (canon) series. Delta, in particular, was a show that pushed pretty much all my buttons when I really needed something to distract me from the 2016-ness of 2016. I didn't come to Macross at a time for it to be formative for me, but love giant robots, I love shows about The Power Of Music, and planes are cool, so it's a franchise that'll always get my attention.
Twitter       Tumblr
Steam: Midboss
PSN: AWindfall

#5 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1545 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:41 PM

Macross II.  You're not canon now, but I still love you.  Even with the weird floating Macross head at the end.  You gave us the VF-II and VF-2JA* and those are two pretty, pretty jets (*going with Palladium's name here). 

I never finished Macross 7 before it got pulled from Youtube.  I wish I had.  My fansubs stopped at, uh, episode 12 or so way back when.  Right during the Protodevlin Vampire attacks.  Still, you gave us Fire Bomber and that hasn't been topped yet.  Also "The Galaxy is Calling Me," with the great "Heart & Soul" duet at the end. Ooh and Dynamite 7.  Such a great OAV.

I've been going through Frontier again. Still haven't made it to Delta.  I guess that's one I'll have to poke around for, since there are no official distribution channels (yet). 

I wish I still had a VCR to watch my copies of DYRL. Poor tapes have probably crumbled at this point.

~Marduk

#6 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64821 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:02 PM

Love SDF Macross, Macross: DYRL, and Macross Plus.  My first exposure (outside of possibly some Robotech - as a kid I found too boring) was Macross II when it was first released.

Got interested in Macross (prior to Macross Plus coming out but after II) via old VHS tapes of Robotech my cousin had.  I was around 13 at the time (in the early to mid 1990's) and could appreciate the story more than my 5 year old self could.

I've seen some of 7 and the subsequent films / movies stemming from that.

Saw the first episode of Zero (didn't get to watch the rest).  Because of Harmony Gold's stranglehold on anything Macross, I haven't really seen anything that was made after Plus and 7.  Which is a shame to me.

Have all the Macross 7 Trash manga.  Have all the reissue 1/55 Valks as well as some Yamatos.  Had some of the Plus stuff that was released in the late 90's too, as well as many figurines.  I've seen Mari Iijima perform and had my photo taken with her.  I've seen Yoko Kanno perform too.

Just got this beauty in the mail.  Haven't had time to fiddle with it yet.

20181002_182006.jpg

ACItEK8.png

#7 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1545 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:28 PM

Have all the Macross 7 Trash manga.  Have all the reissue 1/55 Valks as well as some Yamatos.  Had some of the Plus stuff that was released in the late 90's too, as well as many figurines.  I've seen Mari Iijima perform and had my photo taken with her.  I've seen Yoko Kanno perform too.

I've got the first Yamato YF-21.  I skipped the YF-19 and VF-11 because there were QC problems at the time.  I think I remember those early Yamato toys crumbling right out of the box.  Kind of wish I had gone for the VF-11, because Valkyrie toys got super expensive in the intervening years.

I don't have any "official" VF-1s outside of one of the 1/100 Toynami releases (which also has quality issues).  I do have the green VF-1J knock-off from way, way, way back when. Never did own a G1 Jetfire.

I've got the originals of both the YF-19Kai Fire Valkyrie and the VF-17D Nightmare.  Picked them up in the mid/late 90s.

~Marduk

#8 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64821 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:03 PM

I had the Yamato YF-21 (like you) and the VF-11.  The VF-11's leg joint shredded over time.  I think I glued it.  I may have eventually thrown one or both away.  Either that or their in storage with the other Yamatos.

ACItEK8.png

#9 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 7857 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:11 PM

Macross II. You're not canon now, but I still love you.  Even with the weird floating Macross head at the end.

I wish I still had a VCR to watch my copies of DYRL. Poor tapes have probably crumbled at this point.

~Marduk

i still have my vhs tapes of those as well. dyrl is still the crappy dub but its the proper version of it as it shows hikaru ALIVE after destroying boddole zers ship (i always assumed he died in the cotb version). picked it up a few years ago. i saw "few", but its probly been 20 years now lol

macross II i like due mainly to haruhiko mikimotos charater designs and the music. mikimotos people are GORGEOUS. i especially like how he does eyes

ive often thought of taking my vhs of dyrl to walmart and have them put it on dvd, but they want $20 to do it. i also want to take my original, unspecial editioned star wars triliogy vhs tapes and put them on dvd too

#10 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1545 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:48 PM

I had the Yamato YF-21 (like you) and the VF-11.  The VF-11's leg joint shredded over time.  I think I glued it.  I may have eventually thrown one or both away.  Either that or their in storage with the other Yamatos.

I had mine out a few months ago.  Transforming it was iffy.  I was certain something would break - more than the usual bits that pop off - but it held together.  Probably its last go-round, though.  I'm not sure I want to risk it falling apart on me like some of my other toys (*looks at Revoltech VF-1J*).  Still does make a good fighter, even with the ugly underside. 

ive often thought of taking my vhs of dyrl to walmart and have them put it on dvd, but they want $20 to do it. i also want to take my original, unspecial editioned star wars triliogy vhs tapes and put them on dvd too

Will Walmart do copyrighted stuff?  I might find that worth it for my copies of DYRL, Flashback 2012, and Love, Live, Alive.  Assuming the VHS hasn't fallen apart (and that I still have them, now that I think about it). I'm still disappointed that the "Robotech" version of Love, Live, Alive didn't include the original.

The Macross II Movie DVD is still pretty cheap on Amazon.  Macross Plus, not so much. I'm guessing that'll change in a few years though, once whatever is going to happen with HGUSA happens.

~Marduk

#11 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The New Year brings New Powers!

• Staff
  • 12878 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:52 PM

My first experience of Macross that wasn't Robotech was Macross Plus. It was and is amazing. And the aerial battle at the end is just beautiful.

Caught the last part of Macross II on an Anime Sky channel at some ungodly hour of the early morning. It was pretty good and weird.

Managed to watch most of the ADV SDF Macross dub on youtube, but could never buy them since their prices skyrocketed on Amazon and then they disappeared. Bummer. Managed to watch Clash of the Bionoids and a pretty ok fandub of DYRL on youtube too. I keep looking for subs of series like Frontier or Delta or Zero, but i keep missing them.

Would to get even one of the dx chogokin Valks, but by god are their prices to rich for my blood.

fslookup.jpg

#12 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9394 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:59 PM

With me, I had heard vague details over the years about the Japanese sci-fi franchise Macross , its U.S. ripoff adaptation Robotech by that one satanic company, and how it spawned Jetfire in Transformers. Then in 2015 I saw a teaser for the upcoming Macross Delta and decided to check it out. That in turn prompted me to look at Macross Frontier. And boy do I love Frontier!

My favorite single scene: the climax of the second Frontier movie, featuring the eponymous "Sayonara no Tsubasa" .

Just got this beauty in the mail.  Haven't had time to fiddle with it yet.

attachicon.gif20181002_182006.jpg

Oh wow, you lucky duck.

Edited by SHIELD Agent 47, 20 November 2018 - 10:30 PM.

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#13 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 7857 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:16 PM

I had mine out a few months ago.  Transforming it was iffy.  I was certain something would break - more than the usual bits that pop off - but it held together.  Probably its last go-round, though.  I'm not sure I want to risk it falling apart on me like some of my other toys (*looks at Revoltech VF-1J*).  Still does make a good fighter, even with the ugly underside. 

Will Walmart do copyrighted stuff? 

i did think of that as well. guess i could ask em next time im there

#14 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 487 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:47 PM

I'mma just leave this here:

Also, your reminder that Nikki Basara saved the space whales from space whalers by proving that they're sentient by getting them to sing along with him:

(Gamlin's face at 5:48 is priceless)

(Basara is the best.  His parents told him music could move mountains...So he sang at the mountains for training.)

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 03 October 2018 - 06:03 PM.

#15 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 12878 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:01 PM

You know, the YF-19 is still one of, if not my favourite Valkyrie designs. I think its the forward sweeping wings. It just looks cool!

fslookup.jpg

#16 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1161 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:45 PM

Macross is kinda an oddity for me, it helped get me into anime, yet "helped" me out of one aspect of anime.

Back in the mid 90's when I was first getting into anime (due to Ronin Warriors and Teknoman), Clash of the Bionoids was one of the first things I rented at Blockbuster, followed later by Macross II, then buying Macross Plus later.  The Robotech VHS were widely available at the time, and, knowing of the connection between Macross and Robotech through years of reading Wizard magazine and the like, I got hooked into Robotech.

I got a copy of DYRL VHS later, and accidentally paused it during the frame or two near the end where one of the Macross missiles is replaced with a Budweiser can.  That was quiet amusing when we saw that.

I did get one of the Yamato VF-1s (that had the removable legs to transform, otherwise a good figure) and a VF-19 that was a sky blue in color, not the original version.  That was cool, but the paint scraped off during transformation...

Now to the bad influence, Macross 7.  I watched the fansubs (which I paid for) with my friend, did not like the characters, music, plot (mostly the plot - saving the universe with music that I don't care for), and still is one of the only series where I wish the main characters were killed off.  I can actually trace my subbing of subtitles straight back to my experience with it.  But to each their own.

On a happier note, while I was in Japan earlier this year, I picked up the DX Chogokin SV-262Hs Draken III.  I have only opened it, and not transformed it (do not have room to display for the moment). I do very love the mecha designs of the series, overall much more than the Gundam series.

And I really wish I had bought all the Macross DVDs back when ADV redubbed it, only got the first few.  Was strange hearing Vic Mignogna instead of Tony Oliver, though.

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#17 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5078 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:24 PM

There's nothing more 90s than piloting a fire red transforming mecha with a guitar.

#18 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64821 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:06 PM

Great stuff everyone. :)

Telly, I had thought that Hikaru had died at the end of Clash of the Bionoids too. Since you never see him after and Minmay and Misa's conversation almost seems like he may have. :doh

Good thing I saw DYRL shortly after.

ACItEK8.png

#19 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 12878 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 05:19 AM

I think Macross 7 might still be the one Macross show i know of, but have never seen any of.

Oh yeah, just had a quick look at dx chogokin Valks on Amazon. Here in the uk, they are anywhere from £190 to £750 or more. Its crackers.

The ADV Dub was pretty good. I'd like to think if HG does, finally, lose their iron grip on things. We might see that get a rerelease, along withnew dubs of Macross shows. One can dream.

fslookup.jpg

#20 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5078 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:22 AM

Yeah, they're insanely priced because they're nearly impossible to get a hold of first-hand.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users