Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

@  TheMightyMol... : (31 July 2020 - 05:13 PM)

KHAAAAAAAN

@  PlutoniumBoss : (31 July 2020 - 03:04 PM)

Bueller? Bueller?

@  Jet : (31 July 2020 - 11:31 AM)

DONKEY!

@  Maximus Ambus : (31 July 2020 - 06:55 AM)

Spanner

@  Xaaron : (31 July 2020 - 06:49 AM)

Jetstorm

@  Nevermore : (31 July 2020 - 05:33 AM)

Tankor

@  SG Roadbuster : (31 July 2020 - 04:44 AM)

Overrun

@  lastmaximal : (31 July 2020 - 01:33 AM)

Buckethead

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 July 2020 - 07:15 PM)

Now I wonder how many Transformers we can name with the fewest possible different names.

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:38 PM)

Ransack. That's like another 20 or so.

Photo
- - - - -

The Disney Afternoon/Toon Disney Thread: feat. DuckTales, Talespin, Aladdin, etc.

Disney Afternoon DuckTales Talespin Rescue Rangers Aladdin Pepper Ann Hercules The Little Mermaid Darkwing Duck Gargoyles

162 replies to this topic

#61 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30605 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:31 AM

I've got something that I'd like to share with you all.

For those who are fans of A Goofy Movie or of just Goofy in general, have you ever been curious about what his complete life looked like? That is, specifically the life he lived in that movie's universe (and, of course, Goof Troop and everything else related therein). From his early childhood to his later adulthood, it's actually quite interesting to view it all in its entirety.

After extensive research and days of typing, I have just written what I believe to be the most complete and comprehensive biography for Goofy ever made, based on his depiction in Goof Troop, A Goofy Movie, An Extremely Goofy Movie, and much more.

I have published it here, in a forum post on the Disney Wiki, and would greatly appreciate any feedback, please and thank you. :)  :thumbsup

Sidenote: Unfortunately, Disney Wiki does not utilize storylinks like TFWiki does, so every source citation I used had to be in <ref></ref> tags.

Edited by Sabrblade, 23 March 2019 - 12:32 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#62 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30605 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:46 AM

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#63 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30605 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:45 PM

Bill Farmer himself also posted this back on April 7:

#64 Egon1982

Egon1982
  • Citizen
  • 344 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:26 PM

I was 3 when Gummi Bears came out on NBC as i watched that sometimes but in the afternoons when Ducktales came out i taped every episode when i was 5 to 8, i even saw the movie in theaters when i was 8. I was 7/8 when Rescue Rangers came out and taped every episode even Talespin. I was 9 when Darkwing Duck hit mornings after Bozo as i taped every episode. I watched/taped every episode of Goof Troop every morning when i was 10/11 and i loved/dug both Aladdin the series and Gargoyles every morning when i got up as i taped every episode when i was 12/13/14  even thought Timon and Pumba was decent yet i dug Mighty Ducks every morning at 14.

I also saw Goofy movie in theaters when i was turning 13 with my best friend who i went with his family to see it.

I also remember having the hots for Gadget, Demona, Eliza, Jasmine, Mirage, Eden (Genie's girlfriend), Rebecca with some Talespin ladies, Peg, Roxanne, LIsa the blonde in Goofy Movie and Mallory McMallard when i was a kid and a teen. LOL.

I have them on DVD.

#65 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30605 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:51 PM

Guys... in the recent mobile game Disney Heroes: Battle Mode.... amid all of the film-original playable characters... is also the one and only Darkwing Duck!

#66 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30605 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:44 PM

Re-watching a certain episode of Goof Troop reveals two curious cameos in the background of one scene:

SIBdjOK.jpg

#67 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17963 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:53 PM

Fact 1 - The Grey Ninja Turtles were the way Stan and Jack originally had them colored in Issue 1 before deciding that green looked better on the comic page.

-ZacWilliam, Fact 2 - later Peter David brought them back and made the Turtles work as Las Vegas enforcers. McFarlane drew some of that run.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#68 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36723 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:30 PM

Clearly that is Photo Bomber Batman, the most obscure release from the old Kenner Batman line.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#69 Pocket

Pocket

Naylte ven, naylte yen.

• Citizen
  • 4835 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:12 PM

Since this has been bumped again, I'd like to direct your attention to this thing I dug up recently. The blogger did some research into the old Capcom game Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, which came out right after their first two Disney Afternoon titles, initially just curious why the player character has a cowboy hat. She ultimately went down a rabbit hole and discovered strong evidence that it was based on a failed pilot for another series:

"From the Disney / TMS partnership, WUZZLES, GUMMI-BEARS, DUCKTALES and WINNIE THE POOH were born, as well as some unrealized television series such as MAGIC KINGDOM."

Can you just imagine that? I'm picturing a show that's like Captain N but for Disney park rides. And if I'm interpreting everything correctly, it made it as far as having a multi-part pilot episode written, voice acted, and animated before the higher-ups pulled the plug. Shame that subject never came up in the SyFy interview from earlier this year.

Edited by Pocket, 11 July 2019 - 08:29 PM.

"If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs, chances are you're not paying attention." - unknown

#70 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30605 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:46 PM

There's much more where that came from - https://jimhillmedia...get-to-see.aspx

Disney Wiki summarizes the unmade shows as follows:

There were a few ideas for shows planned for inclusion in The Disney Afternoon that never made it off the drawing board.[1]

• Maximum Horsepower - A show about Horace Horsecollar which gives an explanation as to why he stopped appearing in cartoons after the 1930s. It would have the background that Horace was getting tired of playing minor roles and found out about Mickey's big role in Fantasia. Horace decided that he would go to Walt to try and get him a big role in a movie, but never made it to his office due to getting abducted by aliens that transported him halfway across the galaxy, wanting a hero. Horace, however, wants to return to Earth to continue his acting career.
  • Double-O Ducks - A James Bond-style show that would have starred Launchpad McQuack as the main character. One problem with developing this show was that the name "Double-O" had been Trademarked and Disney couldn't use it. Another problem was that producer Tad Stones had trouble developing Launchpad as a leading character. However, ideas of this show would lead to the production of Darkwing Duck.
  • The Magic Kingdom Show - It would involve a boy and a girl finding out that there is a Walt Disney World in the clouds in which that version of the park and the characters in its attractions and shows are actually alive and can interact with each other.
  • Disney's Critter Country - A show featuring the animal characters from the Critter Country attractions Country Bear Jamboree and Splash Mountain as they collaborate as a community to stop the fiendish plans of Br'er Fox.
  • Thumper's Thicket - A show following the adventures of Thumper from Bambi.

Edited by Sabrblade, 11 July 2019 - 08:47 PM.

#71 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 671 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:00 PM

Double-O Ducks is kinda ironic, considering the existence of DoubleDuck nowadays.

https://disney.fando...iki/Double_Duck

#72 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 3012 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:37 PM

Re-watching a certain episode of Goof Troop reveals two curious cameos in the background of one scene:

SIBdjOK.jpg

On a related note - one time Disney got caught lying about the rating of Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers:
KtK3yAQ.jpg

#73 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10838 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:30 PM

Oh my gosh, I actually remember watching most of those shows in syndication.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#74 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18876 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:38 PM

It's interesting: Bring up a show, and memories kick in, but bring it up with its contemporaries, and that's a whole other level of nostalgia.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#75 Pocket

Pocket

Naylte ven, naylte yen.

• Citizen
  • 4835 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:36 PM

I've been thinking about that Magic Kingdom series pilot again, and I think I've nailed down the biggest problem with it. So, say you want to make a show in which the Disneyworldland rides are real, the pirates and ghosts and... uh... spaceships? ...are alive and everything. You have two obvious options: Either you say that the real park got magic'd into being this way, or you don't and act like that's just how it is. The first approach is undesirable because you're tipping the hand by admitting that the real-world park is fake. And that's something Disney has always taken the utmost care to avoid. (Plus, you already call it the "Magic Kingdom", so, what, it's even more Magic now?) And second approach would be implying that this is what it's really like, and border on false advertising.

Which would explain why they went with the "Magic Kingdom in the clouds" thing; it manages to side-step around this issue by explicitly being about a pure fantasy world, and not having to suggest that a non-magical counterpart even exists in this universe. The downside is... it sounds pretty dumb. Like right on the threshold where the same people who went on to greenlight TaleSpin would be willing to give it a shot, but then once it was committed to celluloid the flaws would become obvious.

Also, I just realized... if they went as far as producing a pilot for that one, does that mean there was a test screening? Where some actual kids got to see it? It probably doesn't matter, since they'd be too old to remember it any better than the description we got by this point (I barely remember the shows I watched back then) and were probably sworn to secrecy anyway, but still.

"If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs, chances are you're not paying attention." - unknown

#76 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30605 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 02:31 PM

It sounds to me like basically what the Magic Kingdom would be like in House of Mouse's universe.

#77 Sukoshiko

Sukoshiko

Demented Genius at Play

• Citizen
  • 1012 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:42 PM

Went looking through everything Disney is saying will be on its streaming service--looks like mostly new stuff and movies that came out after the 90s. I was wondering though... Disney used to have a Sunday Movie tv show (back in the 70s). I remember some of those quite well, and others vaguely. Why not put those up? Sure, you can watch ScareCrow of Romney Marsh on YouTube, but wouldn't it be good to have all them on your streaming? It's not like it would take up all that much extra space on the servers.

Or am I just being delusional again?

#78 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7698 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:30 PM

I'm sure all that stuff will be on there eventually. They're really not doing their job very well otherwise.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#79 Pocket

Pocket

Naylte ven, naylte yen.

• Citizen
  • 4835 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:36 PM

"They're really not doing their job very well" kind of describes Disney in general these days. Why start now?

#80 Sukoshiko

Sukoshiko

Demented Genius at Play

• Citizen
  • 1012 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 01:03 AM

I'm sure all that stuff will be on there eventually. They're really not doing their job very well otherwise.

Well, until it is up there, my $ will stay in my pocket.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disney Afternoon, DuckTales, Talespin, Rescue Rangers, Aladdin, Pepper Ann, Hercules, The Little Mermaid, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users