Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Pennpenn : (21 March 2019 - 02:16 AM)

To be honest they did ignore big chunks of the stuff from the movie. Also never had the balls to portray Jesus as a rogue Goa'uld (yeah yeah I know shut up).

@  Echowarrior : (20 March 2019 - 08:57 PM)

The original Stargate movie was okay for what it was. SG1 was a decent show that probably lasted too long. Atlantis was a decent show that could've lasted a little longer. Universe...gah. There were exactly two characters on that show that I liked, and neither was enough to help it in my mind.

@  Xellos : (20 March 2019 - 04:05 PM)

I got into SG1 right as season 8 ended. The Stargates were the last shows that I would make sure to watch every week. Since Universe ended, I really have not been addicted to any live action series.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 March 2019 - 03:12 PM)

The concept of the film had enormous potential, and the rest was literally writers one upping each other when they didn't know if they were going to get renewed.

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 March 2019 - 02:40 PM)

Haven't got as far as Universe yet, but I finished SG-1 on Prime last week and I'm part of the way through Atlantis, now. Amazing how long it went on, just based off a single film

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 March 2019 - 02:36 PM)

Teal'c PI never happened but Teengate did.

@  Cybersnark : (20 March 2019 - 02:33 PM)

Indeed.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 March 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Yeah, SG1 is fairly and uniformely good throught out it's entire run. Atlantis isn't quite as good, but has quite a few good episodes, and universe wasn't a bad take on the more dramatic and outlandish aspects of the universe.

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 March 2019 - 01:31 PM)

Man, I should've watched the Stargate TV shows years ago; they're a lot better than I ever expected

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 March 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Well, if the merchant benefited from it there's no harm, I guess. Some people just aren't comfortable dealing with foreign currencies; although admittedly those usually aren't the types who'll go to a place like Estonia.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 March 2019 - 05:51 PM)

I gather this was an ad hoc sale with no machine around. Or the U.S.-Americans in this story were so entitled they didn't bother getting any euros for their trip. One hears about the latter phenomenon often enough.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 March 2019 - 05:46 PM)

Easier to just use a credit card with no foreign currency conversion fee. There are plenty to choose from in the US

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 March 2019 - 05:40 PM)

Joke's on them because the USD-EUR exchange rate gave him a lot more.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 March 2019 - 05:39 PM)

Just read an anecdote on Facebook from an Estonian guy who once accepted U.S. dollars on par from some 'Mericans who didn't change their currency when traveling to another country.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 March 2019 - 11:14 AM)

Try their TF/GIJoe comic. I dare you. (I'm sorry in advance.)

@  Fnu Aw : (19 March 2019 - 10:41 AM)

My first reaction reading Dreamwave was "What am I stupid or something?" It can be hard to follow what's happening at times.

@  Paladin : (19 March 2019 - 07:52 AM)

but enough about *INSERT LEAST FAVORITE WEBCOMIC HERE*

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 March 2019 - 06:15 AM)

He draws about as well as he runs a business.

@  Nevermore : (19 March 2019 - 06:01 AM)

But... but... it has artwork by Superstar Extraordinaire Paticus Funana Lee!

@  Trpodeca : (19 March 2019 - 03:36 AM)

The second one,has a lot more interesting idea (A unified post war Cybertron, people viewing Optimus differently now the wars over), but in practice it's a disjointed mess.

@  Trpodeca : (19 March 2019 - 03:34 AM)

I'd say the first volume is the most Meh Transformers comic I've ever read. Reading it I felt like I was skipping a bunch of pages.

@  Trpodeca : (19 March 2019 - 03:32 AM)

You know I've been reading Dreamwave's comics and its not very good.

@  lastmaximal : (18 March 2019 - 11:36 PM)

Basics we can afford to take for granted. So let's cool it.

@  Nevermore : (18 March 2019 - 06:07 PM)

Learning what exactly?

@  Kayla Kaon : (18 March 2019 - 03:42 PM)

Don't be mean. The kid is learning.

@  KidTDragon : (18 March 2019 - 01:59 PM)

Tucker has to have his threads approved before they'll post now? That's hilarious.

@  Kayla Kaon : (18 March 2019 - 01:19 PM)

Tucker, it is the same thread that you already posted. I am not approving that. As we have discussed you need to submit different content.

@  Kayla Kaon : (18 March 2019 - 01:18 PM)

We will look at it Tucker.

@  Pennpenn : (18 March 2019 - 08:28 AM)

[Replace adjectives as needed]

@  wonko the sane? : (18 March 2019 - 08:28 AM)

an unhealthy volume of paranoia seems to accompany most hatemongers.

@  Nevermore : (18 March 2019 - 08:12 AM)

"Them" being alien reptiloid Muslim Zionist Atheist Sanatist Communist pedophile feminazis. Or something.

@  Nevermore : (18 March 2019 - 08:11 AM)

His views are "They're coming for us!"

@  unluckiness : (18 March 2019 - 12:59 AM)

I don't think even he knows his own views, frankly. What with blaming Spyro and having the Navy Seal copypasta in his so-called manifesto

@  Pennpenn : (17 March 2019 - 09:27 PM)

Even in the general population there are those who share his views. Probably a significant crossover with the ones who blame Muslims for what happened.

@  Pennpenn : (17 March 2019 - 09:25 PM)

It wouldn't surprise (but still disgust) me if there was a part of the prison population who condone or even celebrate his actions.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 March 2019 - 07:45 PM)

TFcon is returning to Washington, D.C. this North American autumn 2019.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 March 2019 - 02:48 PM)

I bet he will have to be kept in solitary for the rest of his life for his own protection against other prisoners.

@  Nevermore : (17 March 2019 - 02:46 PM)

**** that asshole that killed 50 people in New Zealand.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 March 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Happy Street Atri's Day!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 March 2019 - 02:02 PM)

That works too. The burger example was just fresher in my mind from another site.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 March 2019 - 01:52 PM)

"Paddy" is short for "Patrick". But "Patty" is still short for "Patricia", right?

@  Kayla Kaon : (17 March 2019 - 01:38 PM)

My name is and I take offense to this

@  Locoman : (17 March 2019 - 01:26 PM)

MY NAME'S! NOT! RIIIIIIIIIIICK!

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 March 2019 - 10:15 AM)

Happy Saint Rick's Day!

@  MEDdMI : (17 March 2019 - 06:39 AM)

Whooo! I can get some cheap corned beef now!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 March 2019 - 11:55 PM)

While I have no ties to Ireland, South or North, I have been reassured by many Irish people of the proper rendition.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 March 2019 - 11:54 PM)

Paddy is the diminutive of Pádraig. Patty belongs on a burger.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 March 2019 - 11:53 PM)

PSA to all: the abbreviated name is Paddy's Day or Saint Paddy's Day.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 March 2019 - 11:42 PM)

Another round of U.S.-Americans throwing around Disneyfied Irish symbolism for the sake of getting smashed.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 March 2019 - 11:41 PM)

Hooray, it is Lá Fhéile Pádraig / Saint Patrick's Day once again.

Photo
- - - - -

The Disney Afternoon/Toon Disney Thread: feat. DuckTales, Talespin, Aladdin, etc.

Disney Afternoon DuckTales Talespin Rescue Rangers Aladdin Pepper Ann Hercules The Little Mermaid Darkwing Duck Gargoyles

59 replies to this topic

#21 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 27224 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 21 September 2018 - 04:58 PM

For those who haven't seen it before (or in a long time), here's a gem from the past.

The original Darkwing Duck opening from the full-length uncut version of the pilot episode "Darkly Dawns the Duck", never before released on DVD (only on VHS and its original primetime televised airing back in 1991, as the DVD features only the edited version that removed this sequence):

Edited by Sabrblade, 21 September 2018 - 04:59 PM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#22 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64174 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:31 PM

For perusal of chronology:

EIRwaok.jpg

tAKhFTm.jpg

(From https://en.wikipedia...sion_Animation)

Hard for my brain to accept that Rescue Rangers and Talespin launched so late in Ducktales' life. 

One thing to remember is that DuckTales aired on it's own for a couple of years prior to the Disney Afternoon existing. Even Chip and Dale aired a year on its own prior to the DA as well. The first lineup of DA had Gummi Bears, DT, C&D, and TaleSpin as the first new show. The following years would add a new show and remove the oldest one from the lineup (not sure how long they did this, but it was at least the pattern at first).

ACItEK8.png

#23 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64174 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:33 PM

For those who haven't seen it before (or in a long time), here's a gem from the past.

The original Darkwing Duck opening from the full-length uncut version of the pilot episode "Darkly Dawns the Duck", never before released on DVD (only on VHS and its original primetime televised airing back in 1991, as the DVD features only the edited version that removed this sequence):

https://www.youtube....h?v=Z6xWSSaYecQ

I remembered this. It would annoy me when the episode aired normally that this scene would be removed as it was really well animated and part of it was present on the opening of every episode. The episode would start with him delivering the crooks to the police station. Glad to see it again after all these years.

ACItEK8.png

#24 Egon1982

Egon1982
  • Citizen
  • 240 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:06 PM

I grew up with Ducktales since i was 5 and the Disney afternoon since i was 7 when Chip and Dale Rescue first aired and in the mornings i watched Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop, Aladdin and Gargoyles.

#25 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 27224 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:43 PM

I need some help trying to understand something from those here who are more in the know than me.

I completely missed out on both the Boom! Studios and Joe Books runs of Darkwing Duck comics, and so I'm looking to purchase the remastered TPB omnibus titled Disney's Darkwing Duck: The Definitively Dangerous Edition.

However, when looking it up on such sites as Amazon, eBay, AbeBooks, etc., while there are some listings for the book provided by those sites, the sites also give me listings for some book with the same cover design but which is instead named Disney's Darkwing Duck Treasury: Volume 1.

Is the "Treasury" one the same thing as "The Definitively Dangerous Edition", or is it a different book? If it's something else, what is it, exactly? Or if it's the same book, then why does it have two different names?

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#26 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6680 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:53 PM

It appears to be the same thing...? https://www.facebook...44778228936588/

Weird it would be listed under a title that's not on the cover though, yeah. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#27 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 7691 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:57 PM

Maybe it had to get a reprint and they needed to change the title of it for some reason...?

#28 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6680 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:56 PM

Fascinating article on the Disney Afternoon era:

https://www.syfy.com...-rescue-rangers

WsuGTl1.jpg

#29 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 27224 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:48 PM

Fascinating, indeed!

Though, it covers the creation processes of the shows up to Goof Troop, nothing after that show. 

What does Tad Stones mean when he says "I insist, to fans’ delight everywhere, that [Darkwing Duck is] a separate universe"? What delight is he referring to? As far as I've seen, people like to connect the dots between DuckTales and Darkwing Duck as though they were the same world (even if Stones insists otherwise).

#30 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6680 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 02:12 AM

Good question. I hope he was being sarcastic...? There is no possible way anyone has ever reacted to that assertion with delight.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#31 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 27224 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:00 AM

Even the Boom! Studios comics made a point to give the show a sense of continuity, not just with DuckTales (even before the controversial "Dangerous Currency" story) but a sense of continuity with itself that it barely (but intentionally) ever had.

I myself even like to think of most (but NOT all) of the Disney Afternoon shows as being in the same world, leaning into the Chaos God crossover and other connections made across the board between the various shows and their movies, even factoring in things like Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas (whose first two segments feel like prequels to DuckTales and Goof Troop, respectively), Mickey Mouse Works (as performed show-within-a-show-type shorts made in the larger fictional world), and House of Mouse. And maybe even Pepper Ann, due to her and her mother's in-character cameo in House of Mouse's first episode.

Meanwhile, another shared universe between other Disney cartoon shows post-Disney Afternoon's era would be one containing Recess, Kim Possible, Lilo & Stitch, Fillmore, The Proud Family, and American Dragon: Jake Long, as all of these minus Fillmore did have crossovers together via four special Lilo & Stitch episodes, while Fillmore is attached via a brief appearance that Spinelli from Recess made in one episode of that show.

Edited by Sabrblade, 02 November 2018 - 09:02 AM.

#32 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10080 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:47 AM

Even the Boom! Studios comics made a point to give the show a sense of continuity, not just with DuckTales (even before the controversial "Dangerous Currency" story) but a sense of continuity with itself that it barely (but intentionally) ever had.

I myself even like to think of most (but NOT all) of the Disney Afternoon shows as being in the same world, leaning into the Chaos God crossover and other connections made across the board between the various shows and their movies, even factoring in things like Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas (whose first two segments feel like prequels to DuckTales and Goof Troop, respectively), Mickey Mouse Works (as performed show-within-a-show-type shorts made in the larger fictional world), and House of Mouse. And maybe even Pepper Ann, due to her and her mother's in-character cameo in House of Mouse's first episode.

Meanwhile, another shared universe between other Disney cartoon shows post-Disney Afternoon's era would be one containing Recess, Kim Possible, Lilo & Stitch, Fillmore, The Proud Family, and American Dragon: Jake Long, as all of these minus Fillmore did have crossovers together via four special Lilo & Stitch episodes, while Fillmore is attached via a brief appearance that Spinelli from Recess made in one episode of that show.

I'm honestly okay with grouping together DuckTales, Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop and Talespin, plus most of those other things you've mentioned, though I'm hesitant to go ahead and include Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers in that grouping (human presence and all). Same reason I rule out Quack Pack.

No issue with that second shared universe, however.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#33 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 27224 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 12:29 PM

I'm honestly okay with grouping together DuckTales, Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop and Talespin, plus most of those other things you've mentioned, though I'm hesitant to go ahead and include Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers in that grouping (human presence and all). Same reason I rule out Quack Pack.

I was hesitant to include the human ones at first too, but, upon re-watching Quack Pack in full, one episode serves as a direct continuation of Donald's Naval service term in DuckTales, in which he must complete the last remaining 24 hours of his term before receiving his proper discharge. What's more is that that episode featured only duck and dog people instead of any humans (though, Daisy did mention Kent in that episode too).

Plus, in other Quack Pack episodes, there were other rare instances of other animal people besides Donald, his nephews, their friend Gustav, Daisy, and Ludwig Von Drake appearing as citizens of Duckburg, showing that, while Quack Pack's Duckburg had become rather human-populated since DuckTales, there indeed remained some of its original kind of residents still living there.

Furthermore, while the TV show showed only humans, the Disney Adventures magazine comics for Rescue Rangers (including its chapter of the Chaos God crossover) featured some animal people in addition to human people, as though they coexisted in the same city despite the show itself not going into that.

And, in re-watching Goof Troop, I spotted an actual human person seen within an animated crowd of dog people at a carnival in Spoonerville.

And in one episode of Darkwing Duck, DW was watching a beauty pageant on TV and all the participants were human women.

And in the Boom! Studios Darkwing Duck comics,

Spoiler

Edited by Sabrblade, 02 November 2018 - 01:26 PM.

#34 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 5975 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:22 PM

I would kill for Recess on DVD. I watched that a few years ago and it held up remarkably well as a series. The low quality AVI files I downloaded to be able to see it... not so much.

Gus Gus oh mighty Gus, King of all the Playground. Gus Gus oh shiny Gus, we're glad such a great king we found.

#35 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 27224 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:40 PM

Its movie is one of the best theatrically-released Disney TV show films of them all, almost as entertaining as A Goofy Movie.

#36 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 27224 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:52 AM

Hey guys, check out what I found on YouTube.

Back in 1998, there was this VHS called The Spirit of Mickey that compiled a bunch of classic Mickey Mouse shorts together with a new framing device of Mickey and Friends showing these cartoons to an audience of orphans, using stock footage from the Mickey Mouse Club, A Goofy Movie, Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color, and various other shorts to make the footage of these new scenes, complete with newly-recorded dialogue.

Though this was a video tape and not a TV thing (as this topic is for the TV shows of old), the in-between scene with Goofy and Max feels like this special could have taken place in the Goof Troop TV show's universe, coming between Goof Troop and A Goofy Movie, with Max voiced by Jeannie Elias (due to Dana Hill's passing in 1996) to make him sound younger than he was in the movie.

Here's a playlist I found that has the intro and all of the new scenes spread across multiple videos, with separate uploads of the normal versions of the shorts interspersed between each in-between scene from the VHS:

https://www.youtube....oMG9fRaWe5PhHFm

Note that one of the shorts, "Mickey's Trailer" is missing from the playlist, so that can be watched here instead. It comes right after the VHS's scene with Goofy and Max.

Also, there are two different versions of the ending for the short titled "Mickey's Surprise Party". The video of it in this playlist is the original version, while the video of its ending seen at the start of the in-between segment from The Spirit of Mickey uses an edited version that removes the Nabisco product placement that was in the original version of the short.

#37 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 27224 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:28 AM

Saw a pic online. Uh, neat or no no?

87ZwQN4.jpg

The face is the only thing really putting me off, as it's reminding me too much of that old Howard the Duck movie.

#38 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64174 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:19 AM

Yeah same here.  Even then it's a lot better, but made me think the same thing.

ACItEK8.png

#39 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 2955 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:56 AM

I feel like C&DRR is an oft overlooked show and its one of my favorites. So I lean towards including it in the shred universe, if only to make sure its not forgotten.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#40 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 8823 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:57 PM

Well it was the only show in the early DA to have Humans running things rather than anthropomorphic animals other than the fantasy setting of Gummi Bears. It does set itself apart from Ducktales, TaleSpin, Darkwing, and Goof Troop that way.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disney Afternoon, DuckTales, Talespin, Rescue Rangers, Aladdin, Pepper Ann, Hercules, The Little Mermaid, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users