Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Transformers are Buy 2 Get 1 free at Target this week.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 04:29 AM)

2019 has been one long South Park episode.

@  Sjogre : (16 November 2019 - 10:46 PM)

Okay, that actually sounds pretty fun.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 12:49 PM)

It was set in the forties, featured Nazi's as the villains and had Kiko fight mostly Ice Age animals and a mythical dragon that now ruled the island guarding Kongs treasure.

@  Paladin : (15 November 2019 - 11:37 AM)

and it was ALSO eleven hours long.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 10:55 AM)

In a alternate reality Peter Jackson made Son of Kong.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 November 2019 - 09:30 AM)

To be fair to boba: everyone else to go into the sarlacc was a sacrifice. Stripped almost naked and tossed, and didn't have body armor, a jetpack and a weapon.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 November 2019 - 06:54 AM)

Nah, he just has to keep up his plot insurance payments so he can shoot his way out of the Sarlacc again.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 November 2019 - 02:59 AM)

Funny, but everyone knows he bounty hunts for Jabba Hutt to finance his 'Vette.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 November 2019 - 02:54 AM)

Okay.. Not sure why.. but streaming is harder than jsut playing the game.. even though that's pretty much what I was doing.

@  Xellos : (14 November 2019 - 06:47 PM)

What type of vehicle does Boba Fett use for time travel? A Man-DeLorean.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 03:55 PM)

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been to a walk-in clinic, as I tend not to get sick (and the one time I do every 4-5 years, I prefer just riding it out at home), but the last time I went I'm pretty sure you could just show up, no appointment. It may be different in Quebec,though

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

Photo

PlayStation Classic launches December 3

76 replies to this topic

#21 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11056 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:56 PM

Um... MGS can be played without duel shock.

#22 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Confused? Its a Mayhem thing

• Supporter
  • 62288 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:24 PM

I'm tentatively interested... but man, I'm not sure I need another place to play FF7 that isn't the remake that's continually not a thing I own  

#23 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22351 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:19 PM

Figured it was a fool's hope.

Probably won't have WWF Smackdown! 2, either.

Yeah, they probably would have to dummy out Chris Benoit. Maybe put Big Show back in his place.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#24 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18669 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:04 PM

What would be cool is if you hook a DualShock through USB and it unlocks a secret copy of Ape Escape, a la the "hidden" Star Fox 2 in the SNES Classic.

But that aside, Bushido Blade or bust.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#25 tec

tec

classic

• Supporter
  • 31286 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:18 PM

Ace Combat 3

MGS

SOTN

Armored Core MOTA or Project Phansma

Einhander

Colony Wars

Wipeout XL or 3

GT 2

Driver 2

WarHawk

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#26 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4607 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 22 September 2018 - 08:19 PM

https://www.ign.com/...-ps-peripherals

Standard cell AC adaptors will work, system will NOT support newer controllers.  So that guarantees no Ape Escape.

http://www.ign.com/a...tionality?watch

No online, no post launch additional games.  Again, just like Nintendo's offerings.

Again, 20 is just NOT enough for the breadth of content that was on the PS One platform.  I'm almost expecting a second iteration with the PSONE redesign and analog controllers to cover those later games that made hefty use of the analog sticks.  Yes, a LOT of games like MGS or Spyro didn't REQUIRE the analog, but I'd argue that especially Spyro NEEDS those analog controls.  Crash? Not so much.

I mean, you want nostalgic games? How about Battle Arena Toshinden?  No, not a great game...but certainly an impactful one in the early days of Playstation.  Deep cuts? What about Omega Boost, Polyphony Digital's nearly forgotten mech shooter?  G-Police was a minor hit, and again, Sony or SquareEnix EACH could fill a Playstation Classic, not even addressing Konami's hits like Suikoden.

#27 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 42328 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 September 2018 - 09:40 PM

So what I'm hearing is "poorly planned nostalgia cash grab".
Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#28 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4607 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 09:31 PM

Seemingly so.  I mean, it just feels odd to hit NOW, instead of waiting just ONE more year to capitalize on the brand and console's 25th Anniversary, and presumably in the build up for the next Playstation platform.

And again, the limited selection (about ONE PERCENT of the 1700 or so games released) just feels like there's going to be a wide spread dissatisfaction with the device.  No analog controllers means no Ape Escape and a number of other titles are going to be compromised in the control area.  If they hit on the "big titles", you face a situation where many may pass on the device because you can get most of those "big titles" on digital for the PSP, PSVita, or PS3 (which also features the ability to play original disc games to boot).  If you don't hit certain titles or franchises, then people are going to lament those loses.

#29 tec

tec

classic

• Supporter
  • 31286 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:59 PM

Or already have most of them like me and a working region free PSX to play everything on

Hello Macross VFX2 and Ace Combat 3 (JPN)

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#30 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3110 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:16 AM

So its the Amazong Spider-Man of retro video games.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#31 Caldwin

Caldwin

Cool but crude

• Supporter
  • 24896 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:47 AM

Well, here's the full list. Yet another release of Final Fantasy VII does not surprise me. Though since I already have so many copies of Final Fantasy VII already both physical and digital, this is not a system seller for me. I also didn't see much else to grab my attention.

Notable "where the hug are these" for me:

Tomb Raider
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Xenogears
SoulBlade

And for those who are even thinking of saying Crash Bandicoot, Castlevania or some other game already had a recent re-release on PS4 with a remaster...*coughFinalFantasyVIIcoughcough*

Yeah, look. I'm not anti-Playstation, mmmkay? I got me a PS3 and PS4...even went back and got me a used PS2. So...I actually kinda wanted to want this. But the game selection has me puzzled and I just can't really get behind this one. Sorry, Sony!

Speaking of, I just loaded up my Xenogears save and have absolutely no hugging clue where I am, what I was doing or even what the controls are. *sigh* Would've been a good time to start a new game on a new system with save-states, Sony!
PSN = Caldwin Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#32 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5268 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 10:37 AM

Yeah, I'm not terribly interested in picking this up. I basically have all the games I'd want on it in some form or the other.

Only question I have is: Resident Evil: Director's Cut.

Now will this be a straight up port of the PS1 title, or will they ACTUALLY make it a director's cut this time? With all the cut scenes back in? If you can give me that, I just might pick this up if only to finally have the true game in English.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#33 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4607 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 11:38 AM

That's a weird selection on a LOT of that stuff.  Glad to see Battle Arena Toshinden, it WAS a major early release.  But there are some MAJOR omissions: No Tomb Raider, Wipeout, Crash, Spyro, Gran Turismo, Silent Hill, Castlevania, or anything else from Square (I was REALLY hoping for Einhander).  And some of the selections are peculiar by ANY stretch.  Mr Driller? Rayman? Persona?

Decent games, but hardly what I call "defining to the platform".

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director’s Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms

Everything highlighted I can get on the PSN store for one of the devices I own.  Of those I can't, most I can get decent alternatives.  BAT isn't a great game, I have access to FAR better fighters.  Tekken 3 is unfortunate, but there are other Tekken games available.  GTA has some historical significance, but later entries completely overshadowed those old overhead games.  The puzzle games are interesting additions...but hardly system sellers to me.  And truthfully, Persona remains a highly niche title that I don't feel has  place in the western version of this device.  If you wanted niche, Square has better options with more clout.

All told, I'm glad I didn't put any money down on this.  While I think this will do well as a nostalgia device...I think there is going to be some widespread disappointment.  I can get most of the good stuff on my devices, and can get a number of superior titles compared to this "classic" device.

#34 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4607 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 05:11 PM

So, the Japanese might get a better selection than us.  So, instead of these:

• Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal

The Japanese market is getting these:

• Arc the Lad
  • Arc the Lad 2
  • Armored Core
  • Gradius Gaiden
  • XI [sai]
  • SaGa Frontier
  • G Darius
  • Parasite Eve

So...yeah.  I'm not interested in all of the Japanese titles, but a good percentage are stronger than some from the US list.  Rainbow Six, Rayman, and GTA really don't have a place on this selection, IMO.  We should have gotten stuff like Gradius, Armored Core and Arc the Lad instead.

#35 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 39071 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 29 October 2018 - 05:14 PM

I really can't say that i am that tempted to get this. I mean, I enjoyed Resident Evil and Final Fantasy 7, but those are literally the only games on that list that I have any nostalgia for. A few of the games look neat, but nothing I want to play right now. 

I do need to pick a NES and SNES classic still, so I might not be the target audience. 

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#36 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22351 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 05:32 PM

So, the Japanese might get a better selection than us.  So, instead of these:

• Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal

The Japanese market is getting these:

• Arc the Lad
  • Arc the Lad 2
  • Armored Core
  • Gradius Gaiden
  • XI [sai]
  • SaGa Frontier
  • G Darius
  • Parasite Eve

So...yeah.  I'm not interested in all of the Japanese titles, but a good percentage are stronger than some from the US list.  Rainbow Six, Rayman, and GTA really don't have a place on this selection, IMO.  We should have gotten stuff like Gradius, Armored Core and Arc the Lad instead.

I don't hugging care about Syphon Filter, GIVE ME DEVIL DICE.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#37 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2488 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 29 October 2018 - 05:36 PM

No Parrapa? No thanks!

#38 Caldwin

Caldwin

Cool but crude

• Supporter
  • 24896 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 05:55 PM

I usually like Playstation Access. But I have to admit that the video I posted up above felt a bit boot-lickish to me. So here's another channel I subscribe to that put out at least a slightly less fanboyish perspective on it.

PSN = Caldwin Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#39 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 556 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:25 PM

To be fair, the games they could choose were probably limited by the lack of analog sticks...which WAS a really stupid decision on their part, but I guess that probably kept this somewhat affordable.  And Sony doesn't actually OWN any of the games people seem to want (like Castlevania, Crash, and Spyro), so it's not really Sony's fault.  That's kind of the problem with relying so much on third-party support...you don't actually OWN anything that makes you successful down the line.  

The first Persona is a welcome surprise, though.  It's probably the shortened and butchered original PS1 version, but it's always nice to have more RPGs on these machines. 

But that doesn't make this game lineup any more appealing.  Especially since I could easily see them releasing a different version with analog sticks in the future.  And since most of these games are available on the PS3 if nothing else.  More than half of these games just don't appeal to me.  

But I'll defend Rayman's inclusion.  It's a very pretty game for the time period and it's the only platformer on this machine other than Jumping Flash.  Visually, it's probably the game that's aged the best on this list.  Maybe it would've been a better idea to have Legend of Mana on here, knowing the audience, but, again, that wouldn't be Sony's call to make.

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 29 October 2018 - 06:27 PM.

#40 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4607 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:26 PM

I can't help but shake the feeling that this is a feeler from Sony.  It'll sell based on nostalgia...and then next year (for the proper 25th Anniversary) they release a new iteration that has all the stuff we actually wanted.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users