Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

There's always a sense of irony to it, but what the ratio between irony (you really failed) and straightworwardness (at least you achieved something) is depends on the situation and the speaker.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:12 PM)

The meaning can be both literal (you succeed on one level but fail on another), or it can be utterly ironic (you fail in every regard but the most technical; or even worse, "you really gave your best"), and anything in between.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:10 PM)

For example: A singer can hit the notes really well, but clearly isn't a native speaker and what little of the lyrics you can make out sounds nothing like what it's supposed to be.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:06 PM)

The premise seems to be the mixing of technical and aesthetic technical qualities towards the overall success.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

But both "hollow victory" and pyrrhic victory" are referring to having lost as much as you've gained. IE; a battle was won but both armies were destroyed. The town being seiged is victorious, but all the soldiers are still dead. Nevermore's concept is more "You did it, but it's so ugly we don't know if you actually succeeded".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Alternately, one could probably also call it a "hollow victory".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Example: In the Powerpuff Girls episode "Uh Oh Dynamo", the monster-of-the-day was a really tough, giant-size one that required the use of a really destructive mech to defeat it. While the monster was ultimately beaten, the city of Townsville was utterly trashed by the mech's weapons in the process. So, while the city was saved from the monster, it was harmed even worse by the mech that saved it, making the victory bittersweet.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:32 AM)

@Nevermore, sounds to me like what one might call a "bittersweet victory". The goal was met, but at great cost or by disastrous result that call into question if the achieved goal could even be called a success.

@  Arvegtor : (10 November 2019 - 09:40 AM)

Seems to be close enough to "Pyrrhic victory"

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

What do you get from putting the German term through a translator?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 08:57 AM)

That is a ridiculously interesting concept. But I don't think english has a singular term for what you're describing.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 08:28 AM)

Is there an English equivalent for what we Germans call "deductions in the B rating"? Context: Someone did something and suceeded on a technical level (as in, achieved the intended goal), but failed to some degree in the details, i.e. there was some collateral damage, or while a technical success, the end result is an aestetic failure. It can be used highly ironically, as in "barely achieved the intended goal, but failed so much in every aspect that's not purely technical that it might as well be considered an utter failure altogether." The German term is derived from the old judging syste in figure skating, which gave separate ratings for "technical merit" and "presentation", with the latter being the origin of the German term.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 November 2019 - 02:32 AM)

Huh. I did not know before today that "medieval" had an alternate spelling "mediaeval". Like "paleontology" and "palaeontology".

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 November 2019 - 04:15 PM)

'Beast Wars in underrated' the comment went. I exploded.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Absolutely.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

So... you can look like a cop from the 70's AND a huge nerd at the same time?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:09 PM)

I feel like the best way to carry the Switch would be an under-arm torso holster.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 12:31 PM)

It's not. hell. If the 3DS zelda case just stretched a LITTLE more it would fit.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 November 2019 - 03:38 AM)

I feel like the Switch Lite is a bit big to have hanging on your belt like that, but I don't take my Switch out with me often anyway.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 01:13 AM)

I must be the only one who wants a switch lite case with a belt loop. o.O

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 November 2019 - 03:03 PM)

I'm gonna have "Chainsaw Buffet" and "Candy For the Cannibal" by Lordi playing in my head all night.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 November 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Trick or treaters can only consent to cannibalism in Germania.

@  Sabrblade : (07 November 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Hey, if the trick or treaters can't take some loving insults, that's their problem.

@  Arazyr : (07 November 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Just make sure to put the leftovers in the fridge, so they don't get spoiled.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I love children... but I can never eat a whole one.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 November 2019 - 09:52 AM)

I can neither confirm nor deny this allegation.

@  Paladin : (07 November 2019 - 09:46 AM)

...you don't roast the trick or treaters, do you....

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 09:38 AM)

A cold beer, a warm fire, some smores and trick or treaters... Man, you got this life thing down.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

That actually sounds pretty awesome.

@  MEDdMI : (07 November 2019 - 08:59 AM)

we'll move to the open garage if it's raining

@  MEDdMI : (07 November 2019 - 08:58 AM)

every Halloween since we got a house, TMM and I chill in the driveway with a fire bowl and roast things while handing out candy. It's pretty great.

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 November 2019 - 03:42 AM)

Peter Cullen voiced King Kong let that sink in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 November 2019 - 11:42 PM)

I've noticed that after a year or two, though, people with children will start getting into it for their kids

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 November 2019 - 11:41 PM)

I think a lot of the decline you see in Halloween is due to newcomers to Canada who don't really get it... I mean,there are only a handful of countries in the world that practice this particular oddity

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Depression and Suicide

Depression suicide healing

222 replies to this topic

#121 NOIP

NOIP

No One In Particular

• Citizen
  • 2259 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:11 PM

Any chance that you or your Mom or some other close family could take the kids?  Keep them out of foster care at least?

While you live, shine/ Have no grief at all/ Life exists only for a short while/ And time demands an end. Seikilos Epitaph

#122 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 42308 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:16 AM

Apparently the hospital gave the husband information for a shelter which would let him take the kids and get out of the house away from her if he needed. He hasn't yet, and she's calmed down. In a few weeks, there will be a follow up with a shrink, and we're pushing them to not only visit a family therapist, but also try to get a family doctor.

But yeah: we're right back to one day at a time for the moment.

Edit: day's done. Parents went back to collect my sister and take her back to the hospital. She apparently attacked her husband. I don't have details, but she goes back into the rubber room for a while. She SEEMED like she was calming down, but then...

My brain is burning...

Edited by wonko the sane?, 24 February 2019 - 10:08 AM.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#123 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 42308 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:04 AM

Welp, she adamantly REFUSED to go to the hospital, so the best they could do to get her away from her children was to bring her HERE. This is going to end in tears and police cars.

Edit: alright, seems like we've forced enough of the pills down her throat that she's starting to take them voluntarily. She's surprisingly calm. The problem stemmed from the fact that her psychosis was making her BADLY misinterpret the instructions regarding volumes, and the med tech at the hospital didn't give her an ordered regimen, literally writing "as needed" on the prescription. We need to get enough into her to make her either voluntarily keep taking MORE than the one pill a day until the hospital calls back, or voluntarily go to the hospital for more treatment.

Edited by wonko the sane?, 24 February 2019 - 12:58 PM.

#124 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 42308 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 04:59 PM

And it's over. She took a 2 hour nap, and when she woke up immediately started fighting about the pills again. We called 911 and between how she was acting, and what we said, and what her husband said: she was bound by law to the hospital. Once again committed.

#125 NOIP

NOIP

No One In Particular

• Citizen
  • 2259 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:49 PM

Has to be hard on all  of you, but that is probably where she needs to be.  Maybe she can get some good help this time.

While you live, shine/ Have no grief at all/ Life exists only for a short while/ And time demands an end. Seikilos Epitaph

#126 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3762 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:38 AM

i spent a week in the hospital after my suicide attempt...it was one of the best things that ever hapened to me. Hopefully being in there, she'll open up and accept the help.

When i got out, they had me on Lithium...and i could never get the levels right, so i was just crazy, angry, nauseous, and vomiting for 2 months...thankfully after i weened myself off of them and my mind balanced out...I haven't broken in an extreme way since. (also, the post-hospital place I was supposed to visit and be evaluated was seemingly populated with nothing but incredibly beautiful women...so I pretty much completely refused to go there after the second time...so me learning to deal with my stuff on my own and not breaking down was due to both stubbornness and angry loneliness... but atleast something good came out of it.)

but seriously, I hope the hospital does her good. Hey Wonko, are you planning on visiting her?

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#127 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 42308 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:13 AM

Her last time stuck in was only good for about 5 years. She didn't think she was in the wrong then, and she still doesn't NOW. She will more than likely be on some kind of medication for a very long time after this bout, and she might even lose the right to live with her kids because child services is going to get involved.

I don't know if I'm going to visit her. The last week has been ridiculously stressful, and I'm still angry at her for lying to us for all these years.

#128 Caldwin

Caldwin

Cool but crude

• Supporter
  • 24881 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 25 February 2019 - 03:25 PM

Sorry to hear about your sister, Wonko. It sounds like a lot has happened this week.

I do know what it's like to have a sibling that, putting it mildly, you want to put a boot up their ass. I can absolutely understand why you're mad at her right now. You have a lot of very legitimate reasons to be very, very, angry with her right now. Lying to you for years about her meds, getting CPS involved with your nieces and nephews. I haven't had the experience, thank heavens, but I'm sure having CPS coming into your family's life has to be a very scary thing. I'm sure there've been families permanently estranged for much less.

I would encourage you, after you've had some time to collect your thoughts and put some time into the situation, to try and remember though that she is your sister. She's done a lot of horrible things, it sounds like. And like I said, I know full well what it's like to have a grudge against a sibling...for a lot less than what she's done. But also, if she has been off her meds for so long, she must have been way out of her mind. I'm not saying that excuses what she did at all. Just that, she is human and she is your sister. 

Given time, I hope your family can heal and that you and your sister can patch things up. Not saying it'll be easy or that it won't take time. But it won't be easy and it will take time. But I do hope that you can.

Mean time, I hope your niece(s)/nephew(s) are okay. I hope they're allowed to stay with family. In any case, it sounds like they have a tough road in front of them. I hope you get to at least keep up with them. They'll probably need all the family they can get. I'll be praying for you.

Meanwhile, in a less serious update, my last post I said how my therapist gave a suggestion that I ask my doctor about an antidepressant. Well, as of today, I am no on Prozac (the generic form at least).

I know it's stupid a stupid sentiment. After all, you have a headache, you take Excedrin. You have a heartburn, you take Zantac. You have high blood pressure, you take *gets the bottle because hell if I can remember what that stuff it called* Amlodipine. So yeah, if you have chronic depression, you take an antidepressant.

So yeah, I know it's a stupid sentiment, but I've always felt this stigma about needing antidepressants to "be normal." But, here I am.

It's stupid I know. It just makes me feel like I've failed some how.
PSN = Caldwin Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#129 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4732 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 25 February 2019 - 03:58 PM

That's a very common sentiment. Sometimes depression just isn't a battle you can win on your own; think of antidepressants as reinforcements, not a surrender.

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." ~Coco Chanel

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#130 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 39100 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:07 PM

If you think about it, what is the difference between that and taking medicine for a headache?

B5ofTKU.jpg

#131 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 42308 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:02 PM

It takes a surprising amount of strength to ask for help. Getting the pills isn't admitting defeat: it's rallying for another run at better mental health.

#132 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Mummy...?

• Supporter
  • 18245 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:39 PM

As my girlfriend puts it: Better living though science!

nzo8WYb.png

#133 Caldwin

Caldwin

Cool but crude

• Supporter
  • 24881 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:02 PM

That's a very common sentiment. Sometimes depression just isn't a battle you can win on your own; think of antidepressants as reinforcements, not a surrender.

It's one of those things that I know in my head. And I don't know that it's antidepressants in particular or more of a thing where...in my entire life, I've never had to be put on any kind of 'for the rest of you life' type prescription. Now I have blood pressure meds and depression meds. It's just another reminder that I'm not as young as I used to be and sooner or later, the body just falls apart and I hate it.

If you think about it, what is the difference between that and taking medicine for a headache?

Nausea, drowsiness, dizziness, anxiety, trouble sleeping, loss of appetite, tiredness, thoughts of suicide, irregular heartbeat, vision changes, decreased labido...

Actually kinda hoping for that last one.

It takes a surprising amount of strength to ask for help. Getting the pills isn't admitting defeat: it's rallying for another run at better mental health.

I've had to say that to myself about a few things lately.

As my girlfriend puts it: Better living though science!

I have no response to this actually. I just didn't want you to feel left out.

Edited by Stephanie, 25 February 2019 - 07:10 PM.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#134 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Mummy...?

• Supporter
  • 18245 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:43 AM

On the subject of medication:

Spoiler

nzo8WYb.png

#135 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3762 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:09 PM

One of the WORST partsof being on the lithium was a massivly increased libido...only my broken-ass  body could react like that lol

but being on meds isnt a bad thing..i take like 7 different things everyday....such is life.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#136 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Mummy...?

• Supporter
  • 18245 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:56 PM

I'm already on two and they're not even for depression.

So, like, if I can take Metformin and VitD2, then I don't see why anyone else can't take Bupropion or Lithium or whatever they need to be happy.

nzo8WYb.png

#137 NOIP

NOIP

No One In Particular

• Citizen
  • 2259 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:20 PM

Yeah, I'm on blood thinner and metformin.  I hate it, but without the blood thinner my blood gets all overclottish and becomes potentially life threatening, so I take it, pride be damned.  But yes, it is a symptom of getting older, sadly.

This is my admittedly incoherent way of saying that there's nothing wrong with taking medicine.

#138 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 42308 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:12 PM

I need potassium to prevent ear infections and stave off leg cramps so I can actually sleep at night.

#139 Caldwin

Caldwin

Cool but crude

• Supporter
  • 24881 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:30 PM

So today's my third day on the Prozac. It really was nothing to get worked up over I can see now. It's still too soon to say how it's affecting me. Only been three days. I do feel calmer. But given the short period of time, I'm not sure whether I can attribute that to the meds or coincidence. Could just be after such a shitstorm, I just finally wore myself out. Either way, I'm feeling a bit calmer now. And another med to take is just another med to take.

#140 Kayla Kaon

Kayla Kaon
  • Administrator
  • 4587 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 06:20 PM

I have been super depressed for the past few months and I am starting to realize that it is because I just don't have anyone to talk too. Like, not talk to about my depression, but talk to as in just fucking talk to someone. Anyone I try to reach out to and make friends with either ignores me or just blows me off and it really hurts. The person that I used to feel confident in talking to isn't there anymore. They're gone and I will never have them back like how I used too. 

Sure I have a large family, but that doesn't help when you're the head of the family and they all look up to you making it impossible for you to show any sign of weakness. I've just been really stressed lately and the person that used to be my only friend is gone and I can never get them back again. 

If you have Steven Universe leaks please let me know. I need them.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Depression, suicide, healing

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users