Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (26 May 2019 - 07:12 PM)

Pleasant news.

@  Nevermore : (26 May 2019 - 04:06 PM)

Also, the rising stars are the Greens, especially in Germany.

@  Nevermore : (26 May 2019 - 04:06 PM)

Also, a surprising number of voters showed up to the polls, all across the EU. Which is a good sign.

@  Nevermore : (26 May 2019 - 04:05 PM)

Soooo. Another election day is over. Less stressful than the last one, at least.

@  Nevermore : (25 May 2019 - 05:09 PM)

Oooookay, Babylon Berlin. That's gotta be Plot Convenient News Urgent Edition or something.

@  wonko the sane? : (25 May 2019 - 12:03 PM)

I had no idea the beeb was renting out the dr.who writting staff to hollywood.

@  TM2-Megatron : (25 May 2019 - 11:50 AM)

A poodle, some clouds, and a giant drop of water

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 May 2019 - 05:53 AM)

Was that the one where he fights gamma mutant poodles?

@  unluckiness : (25 May 2019 - 03:14 AM)

The CG in that movie was fantastic. Shame Donkey and Fiona were written out of the movie though.

@  TM2-Megatron : (25 May 2019 - 01:20 AM)

Don't worry, though. Ang Lee's Hulk has made it, so if physical media goes this year we can all die happy

@  TM2-Megatron : (25 May 2019 - 01:12 AM)

It's not on 4K yet. Sure would be nice, though

@  Pennpenn : (25 May 2019 - 12:56 AM)

Probably, when I remember to.

@  Telly : (24 May 2019 - 11:11 PM)

you should buy it on bluray or 4k

@  Pennpenn : (24 May 2019 - 09:56 PM)

It's still not up on netflix. Bah!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 May 2019 - 03:26 PM)

We named the dog "Indiana".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 May 2019 - 03:25 PM)

Happy 30 years to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade!

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 May 2019 - 01:35 PM)

Truly they are the compleat package.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 May 2019 - 01:24 PM)

Made from the metallized ashes of their previous enemies.

@  MEDdMI : (24 May 2019 - 07:40 AM)

They fight you with sparkles.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 May 2019 - 03:40 AM)

Phyrexians are the bishie-est.

@  unluckiness : (24 May 2019 - 12:29 AM)

That's why they always wear long sleeved shirts and long pants

@  fourteenwings : (23 May 2019 - 11:36 PM)

Everybody knows the most bishie thing about any bishie is his exposed sinew.

@  MEDdMI : (23 May 2019 - 10:04 PM)

*looks up the humanoid slivers* ...really? People were calling those bishies?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 May 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Have they made a sliver planeswalker yet?

@  RichardT1977 : (23 May 2019 - 10:29 AM)

"DECOMPOSE!"

@  Paladin : (23 May 2019 - 06:29 AM)

will they next evolve into Inhumanoids?

@  Ashley : (23 May 2019 - 02:42 AM)

the original slivers were spikey monsters. then the evolved into humanoids. now they're back to spikey bug monsters.

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM)

Wait. Slivers were bishies???

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2019 - 10:40 PM)

They haven't necessarily looped yet. It's possible they're stuck in "yaoi anatomy"

@  Ashley : (22 May 2019 - 10:35 PM)

I think Slivers in MTG have crossed the bishonen line and looped back around to monstrous

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM)

Maxi, provigo, loblaws.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM)

Which store brand is it?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

I need to buy more "no name" foods. This pizza is freaking awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Depression and Suicide

Depression suicide healing

193 replies to this topic

#101 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28228 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:14 AM

For whatever reason just spent most of the last 2 days sleeping.

#102 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4676 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:44 AM

Happens to me a lot when I'm in a depressive episode. Doesn't always mean depression, but it might be worth writing the details down and discussing them when you get an appointment.

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." ~Coco Chanel

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#103 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3689 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:23 PM

there is never a good reason NOT to sleep. =]

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#104 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28228 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:40 AM

So tomorrow morning I have the over the phone assessment, followed by an afternoon appointment with my GP concerning if I need to be signed off longer.

I'll be honest, not being at work has helped. I've tried not to run from my problems but that place is toxic. If I have to I'll have to go back and fit the therapy sessions in between shifts but it's a huge part of the problem.

I really wish the other shit wasn't happening. I had a workable plan to get out of here and into journalism full time and it's all gone to shit.

#105 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6843 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:26 AM

I'm glad to hear the time off work has felt beneficial. Fingers crossed for whatever comes next.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#106 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28228 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:42 AM

Had the assessment.

What a mess.

They asked some very prying questions about what I've been through and am going through, which I was honest about. The abuse, the self loathing, the attempted suicide, etc.

...And that got me "Does that really happen or is it just how you feel?" and "Try counting all the red objects in a room. That will enable you to deal with what you're going through."

I just feel like an idiot. I finally took people's advice and come away from it feeling patronised. I was very open I knew I was in a bad place and wanted to get healthy for the sake of myself and others and the response was like I'm just whining.

#107 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10192 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:43 PM

...well that's just irritating. Kinda discourages me from considering getting back into therapy myself, to be honest.

And yes, I know HellCat's recent experiences aren't the norm, but still.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#108 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6843 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:44 PM

It can take a while to find the right person for this kind of thing. Which is really not ideal. But some people are douchebags, or bad at their job, or just don't click with you. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#109 NOIP

NOIP

No One In Particular

• Citizen
  • 2173 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:52 PM

It doesn't sound like this one would click with anyone. I hope you can get past that and continue to seek help.  Hopefully you can find a therapist that didn't get their license from a mail order catalog like this one did.

Seriously, that sounds like something that could be reported to whatever your version of the medial licensing board would be,

While you live, shine/ Have no grief at all/ Life exists only for a short while/ And time demands an end. Seikilos Epitaph

#110 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28228 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:31 PM

Saw GP in afternoon. Signed me off rest of the month. Wanted to put me on medication but said I'm not ready to go that route yet so gave me a referral for a blood test to see if I have a chemical imbalance.

Also said my surgery has a good therapist that if I feel unhappy with the team I already mentioned he'd happily refer me to.

So better than the assessment went.

(Seriously, they told me to lean on friends and family "Actually they're all going through a lot themselves and part of why I feel bad is I can't help them. Don't want to lean on them anymore then I have." "Well they're there, aren't they?")

#111 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4676 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:35 PM

...well that's just irritating. Kinda discourages me from considering getting back into therapy myself, to be honest.

And yes, I know HellCat's recent experiences aren't the norm, but still.

It might take you a few tries before you find a therapist you're comfortable with. You're going to be discussing deeply personal, potentially hurtful and/or uncomfortable details with them so you SHOULD be discerning. Don't settle when you go looking, find someone you like talking to. Very important.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#112 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28228 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:42 PM

Are you taking patients?

#113 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6843 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:43 PM

Saw GP in afternoon. Signed me off rest of the month. Wanted to put me on medication but said I'm not ready to go that route yet so gave me a referral for a blood test to see if I have a chemical imbalance.

Also said my surgery has a good therapist that if I feel unhappy with the team I already mentioned he'd happily refer me to.

So better than the assessment went.

(Seriously, they told me to lean on friends and family "Actually they're all going through a lot themselves and part of why I feel bad is I can't help them. Don't want to lean on them anymore then I have." "Well they're there, aren't they?")

Glad you at least seem to have a good GP. Medication can be scary and is not something to be entered into lightly, but obviously can help in some cases - but it's great that your doctor is willing to explore different options rather than trying to railroad you in one direction. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#114 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28228 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:35 AM

So heard back today...not good.

I've been deemed not receiving a therapist but will be referred for likes of a social worker and medication.

Social worker. As in the people that deal with kids rescued from broken homes.

Not happy with that assessment and I'm going to contact my GP to ask about being referred to the therapist he mentioned. The assessment they've given I don't feel is a valid picture of who I am and given it's coming from Mrs 'Go outside and count all the blue flowers' I find it highly suspect.

I know I'm not mentally healthy. But a therapist is what I need, not a social worker.

#115 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4676 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:55 AM

I think you're taking the social worker a bit too defensively; I'm having to quickly educate myself on social worker counseling since I wasn't fully aware they could do that themselves, but social workers wear many hats and fulfill a variety of functions beyond abused children. That said, if you're more comfortable with getting the therapist referral instead then go for it. Do what's going to make this process easier and less stressful for you -even in a hypothetical where the social worker would provide an objectively better process, it won't work as well when you feel like you're being passed off to them as damaged goods.

#116 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28228 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:21 PM

Well what would you know about it, Ms Qualified Mental Health Professional? 

....Oh.

#117 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28228 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:52 AM

So they did blood tests on me to check for chemical imbalance.

All came back fine. So bar testing I'm unaware of I'm not facing a chemical imbalance. I'm just nakedly this depressed.

#118 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6843 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:52 PM

Which is... probably good? Pros and cons I guess, but presumably you're less likely to be pushed down a road towards medication, which you aren't keen on so that's a plus. But obviously there's something to be said for a diagnosis of something that can be directly addressed in a relatively "simple" way. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#119 Caldwin

Caldwin

Waaaaaaah!

• Supporter
  • 24083 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:34 PM

I know I've benn out of this thread for a while. It just seemed like some of my more recent issues have been better suited to another thread at the moment.

I did want to say, Hellcat, I'm glad you're still around and still feel comfortable coming to this thread. I hope you do find the right therapist/social worker for you. Like others have said, no matter who some else may tell you "have" to see, it's important that you feel comfortable with whoever you're with.

I hope things work out. Right now I'm just glad you're still in the fight.

On my end, my therapist is a therapist and not a psychiatrist, she can't outright prescribe anything. But she did write a suggestion to my doctor about seeing about getting me on some antidepressants. I see him Monday for my normal checkup. So I guess I'll bring it up to him then and see what happens.
PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

Before you do anything you can't undo...
National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#120 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 41421 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:20 AM

Alright: Story time!

A few years ago, my sister had a psychotic break: and was committed to a psych ward for a few weeks. She was on the pills, and she saw a therapist while inside. She got better. The doctors kept her pills up after she was released, but on the condition that she had to keep seeing the psychiatrist. When the psychiatrist saw no need to keep her on the pills anymore; WE, her family, requested that she keeps visiting the shrink a couple of times a year to keep her file open. You know, just in case. And it's always nice to have someone to talk to without being judged for what you say.

She hugging lied. She didn't visit the shrink like she was supposed to. Now she's having another hugging break, and because the hospital shrink cleared her file from the active pile: it'll take two to three weeks to get her to see them. She lied about her husband adamantly refusing to go to therapy, he was down with the idea because it meant a more stable wife and household for her kids. And since she's having a PSYCHOTIC break: it's the entire rest of the hugging world that broken and not her, so the pills the hospital gave her after going to the emergency room yesterday literally have to be forced down her goddamn throat because "there's nothing wrong with her".

And to top it off: I was just told that a social worker won't hugging touch her until she's stable again: which means she needs to take the pills she refuses to take. She's going to have to be committed AGAIN and there's a very real chance child services will take her hugging kids this time. She's killing her hugging mother when she does this, and she's traumatizing her family and she literally gives no hugs because "there's nothing wrong with her".

She's always been hugging broken: but she was able to deal before she had kids. Now my niece gets to endure ridiculous levels of stress at home cause mommy is a hugwit, and poor little kasper gets to go through all this shit AGAIN.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Depression, suicide, healing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users