Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Ashley : (21 April 2019 - 10:08 PM)

They frequently do, but yeah there's no rule. Google will usually answer it for a specific restaurant, though

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 April 2019 - 02:57 PM)

Depends on the restaurant and the area. There's no universal rule about it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 April 2019 - 02:41 PM)

I thought restaurants were one of the few things that stayed open on holidays, along with movie theatres and the like

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (21 April 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Well here I am hungry on a Sunday afternoon and I head to Chipotle only to find out right then and there that the place is closed for Easter. Yay.

@  MEDdMI : (19 April 2019 - 09:21 PM)

oof, yikes. Good luck.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2019 - 09:18 PM)

We're in the middle of a kitchen reno and NOTHING will be done until tuesday. I could beat a four day weekend with a hammer right now if it meant I could use my stove again.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Can't beat 4 day weekends either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I prefer later shifts myself, but my 3 day weekend shift isn't bad. Nice to work without those administration busy bodies poking around.

@  Nevermore : (19 April 2019 - 04:12 AM)

Yeah, traffic is a plus as well. Rarely got any trouble getting to work on late shift (even with the neverending construction site on the highway), and when my shift is over, there's hardly any traffic at all anymore.

@  MEDdMI : (18 April 2019 - 06:27 PM)

while I don't have weekends consistently off, working 2nd shift isn't so bad. I'm more likely to do stuff before work than after (when I'm already tired). Plus no rush hour traffic

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 April 2019 - 05:03 PM)

Switching shifts constantly is never good for one's health. There was a time when I worked overnights steady for about 2 years; did wonders for my health, as well

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Don't miss early shift (and especially switching back and forth every two weeks) a bit.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Man, permanent late shift really has done wonders for my overal well-being. Never having to get up early for work, staying up late, weekends off... a ot of my coworkers think I'm crazy, but late shift is really my preferred shift.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:33 PM)

(My total lack of sleep on that day might have contributed, though.)

At noon, it was warm.

On Monday, we went on strike early in the morning, I was also wearing to jackets and gloves and my toes and fingers were freezing.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 April 2019 - 04:31 PM)

Nope, right now my days are doing that. Frigid at night (Well, just below zero, but still.) and warm enough to be always be ill prepared during the day.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Today it's so warm I had to take a shower to wash off the sweat after a lengthy bike trip.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

This past Friday I was wearing two jackets and winter gloves outside and took a hot bath when I returned home.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

Is "April weather" an issue in other countries as well, or is that specifically a German phenomenon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Well, when you understand the history of the area it make sense. It's basically a series of countries buying the place, moving in, saying "we rule you people now", and the locals shrugging and responding, "okay, you have fun with that".

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2019 - 07:58 AM)

When did we all turn into Henry Higgins?

@  unluckiness : (16 April 2019 - 03:16 AM)

To be fair, most Americans can't get the hang of English, so I can understand why.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:15 AM)

(And yeah, Calliope is a Greek muse, not French, but the street was named BY the French when they took over.)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:10 AM)

In New Orleans there's a bunch of streets with French names that are pronounced by locals with a more English emphasis, for example "Calliope Street" is pronounced "CAL-lee-ope".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 11:56 PM)

I figured as much for Canadians.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 11:37 PM)

hm; whenever I've heard people talk about the school they said it the same way as the cathedral...but I guess that's in Canada, so they're probably more familiar with the cathedral than the school

@  Dracula : (15 April 2019 - 11:11 PM)

There's plenty of place names in the US like that. Around here we have an "el doh-RAY-doh," and up north there's a Cairo that's pronounced "kay-roh"

@  RichardT1977 : (15 April 2019 - 09:56 PM)

Yeah, the common pronunciation of the University is probably the reason most Americans don't pronounce the Cathedral name correctly.

@  Arazyr : (15 April 2019 - 08:03 PM)

That's my understanding of how the two are supposed to be pronounced as well.

@  Echowarrior : (15 April 2019 - 07:42 PM)

When I'm talking about the cathedral, I say "noh-treh dahme". When I talk about the university, I say "noh-ter dayme". I don't see a problem with that.

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 06:26 PM)

guessing "Hunchback" just got bumped WAY down the list for Disney's live-action remakes...

@  Patch : (15 April 2019 - 05:56 PM)

We all pronounce it wrong, so no one knows enough to care.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 05:40 PM)

It'd be odd for most Americans not to know how to pronounce Notre Dame, considering they have a University with the same name that's the subject of a relatively popular film based around a sport most Americans love

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Three or four more hours will be needed to contain the fire.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Update from France 24: the Paris Fire Brigade says two towers and the main structure of the cathedral have been saved from complete destruction.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:57 PM)

One does not have to speak French to know that rhyming with "voter name" is off the mark.

@  Locoman : (15 April 2019 - 03:51 PM)

Really? It's an international tragedy and you're zeroing in on the people who maybe don't speak French?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:44 PM)

@Tm_Silverclaw I just read on BBC News that the cause is not yet clear, but officials suspect the fire could be linked to renovation work.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:42 PM)

Oh boy, here we go with the U.S.-American newscasters who can't pronounce "Notre Dame" correctly.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 April 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Too soon to say.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 April 2019 - 03:20 PM)

Do we know if it was an attack? Arson? Or just bad wiring?

@  Nevermore : (15 April 2019 - 02:10 PM)

Religion is dead?

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 02:01 PM)

major cathedral burning down on Holy Week is some kind of metaphor.

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:54 PM)

Hard to believe a wonder of the world could just be wiped out so easily. Hopefully they can still save it

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Well, Notre Dame is burning down

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 10:05 AM)

yikes I thought the site was going to be down for a while

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:07 PM)

So, time for another strike. No sleep for me tonight. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:04 PM)

Think Game of Thrones "light" meets Cabaret and you get the idea.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:03 PM)

Kinda sorta, just with more intrigue, conspiracy, depravity, crime and violence.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Depression and Suicide

Depression suicide healing

182 replies to this topic

#81 Caldwin

Caldwin

The one and only Caldwin

• Supporter
  • 23904 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:14 AM

TDW: That wasn't an all-inclusive everyone that's posted here"we." That was a myself and others "we." I know it wasn't my call to make and I have absolutely hug-all to do with decisions made around here. I'm not that stupid. Still, I created this thread and can't say I'm not at least somewhat responsible for the environment that lead to this. That's why I said "we."

I'm not about to take on the staff for a decision they made. It's not my place and it wouldn't end well for me. I felt a mistake was made. I PM'd one of the staff to share why I felt a mistake was made. I posted an abridged version here because I took Marutans post as an invitation to do so. I have no interest in taking it any further than that.

Look, I realize none of us are professionals. When I started this, I had no illusions of swooping in with cape and cowl saving the entire world. Hell, I was surprised this thread got so much as a single reply, let alone four pages.

It was just that after some recent events in my life, and other history getting stirred up again, I felt like I needed to do something. Last night I was disappointed when it looked like that something backfired. But I have no wish of dragging out the point.
PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

Before you do anything you can't undo...
National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#82 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28131 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:41 PM

And because I publicly vented my frustration with what happened, my boss is now upset with me in a way she hasn't been in ages.

Great...

#83 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28131 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 07:38 AM

Very low week mainly due to work. After several times this week where I was left to sort everything myself (primarily due to co-workers who are buddies with managers sneaking off for extended smoke breaks) I spoke up yesterday. I didn't shout or anything, just stood my ground. Did not go well.

Was treated like a child, fobbed off and told I'm an arrogant person who can't accept it when it isn't the answer I want to hear. That I can never admit when I'm wrong.

I'm a stubborn bastard, I'll grant you that. But I'm entirely too tired of being dumped on. You can tell when people don't respect you and this was a clear example of it.

Really wish things hadn't gone to shit in 2016. I'd have already been out of there by now.

#84 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3655 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:43 PM

atleast things going to shit is one of the few things you can count on in life.

ive been in a bit of a manic phase myself...but I got my room clean and wrote three articles...so theres ups and downs to everything.

the suck part comes when the manic fades and the depression hits.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#85 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28131 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:20 AM

Saw a doctor today. He's signed me off for 2 weeks and given me contact details to arrange to speak to a therapist at local NHS health village. Will be their call if they think medication is suitable.

Once I got outside bawled my eyes out over how weak I was to need to be doing this. So many things right now that need me to be strong and here I am running away.

#86 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3655 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 01:34 PM

strength is the knowledge that youve admitted you need help.

Edited by D Immortalis, 03 February 2019 - 01:34 PM.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#87 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11033 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 04:00 PM

There's nothing weak about needing help and being able to ask for it. Mental health is every bit as important as fixing broken bones and treating diseases.

The people who do think of it as a sign of weakness are usually so twisted up in their own damage that they can barely function.

#88 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6765 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:03 PM

You are not weak, dude. Talking to a professional about this kind of stuff takes strength under any circumstances. Maybe medication is a good idea for you, maybe it's not necessary, but you're on a path to begin finding out and that is a good outcome, most likely with even better ones down the track.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#89 Caldwin

Caldwin

The one and only Caldwin

• Supporter
  • 23904 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:53 PM

It is tough to admit you need help. "I'm 41 hugging years old and never needed a damn shrink in my entire life!" Well, yeah, but, the moment you realize that ending your own life is actually an option, at that point you need to do what you need to do.

It's not easy. In fact, it can be pretty damn hard taking that step. And even once you've made that first step to see a therapist, actually being open with what you need to talk about and not closing up, that can be even more difficult.

It's not weakness. You should be damn proud of yourself that you're finally taking the steps you need to take in order to get healthy.

That actually took me a long time to figure out myself.
PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

Before you do anything you can't undo...
National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#90 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32577 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:50 PM

Once I got outside bawled my eyes out over how weak I was to need to be doing this. So many things right now that need me to be strong and here I am running away.

Not to be redundant, I understand that you feel weak for needing help. I get it, because I've lived it.

It is, however, not weaknesses. Someone online once said, and I agree: "You've had to be too strong, for too long."

It takes strength to seek help when you need it. I hope it goes very well for you.
“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#91 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1507 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:14 PM

Yeah, HellCat - you're not weak.  You're doing the strong thing.

Going for mental help is hard. It takes a lot to realize you need the help, and then even more to get the help. 

It might work.  It might not.  But you're trying and that's a start. 

~Marduk

#92 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28131 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:20 PM

It feels like weakness given what's happening right now and people close to me suffering. Maybe if I'd done this sooner...

Plus given I've unintentionally created the atmosphere that I go looking for fights/use people as punching bags, feels like some just want me to go off to therapy because they're sick of what a disruptive element I am.

#93 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

In whatever heinous realm that it squats...

• Citizen
  • 6613 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:45 AM

Ignore why anyone else wants you to get therapy. Don't do it for them, do it for you.

In need of Movie Arcee's missile, PM me if you have a spare.

#94 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28131 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:54 AM

They have to do an assessment of me over the phone to determine if I can receive therapy.

Said assessment won't be until next Wednesday. So I've got to hold out at least another week.

#95 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10121 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:08 AM

...they have to do an assessment. To determine if you can receive therapy.

There's so much wrong with that.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#96 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28131 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:05 PM

It's part of why I keep banging on about differences between US and UK and part of why I've been irked by accusations I "don't want to get healthy". There's a marked difference between US and UK responses and treatment of mental health.

Perfect example- before the assessment I have to fill in a form which flat out asks me if I believe things like I've failed my friends and family and believe I'd be better off dead. All to judge if I'm worthy of receiving therapy or not.

See here- https://twitter.com/...3614638085?s=19

#97 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 34119 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:30 PM

That looks pretty similar to the assessment I have to do for my therapist every month or so, so the insurance has something they can use to quantify how well I'm doing. Asks you to mark how much you agree with statements like "My drug use causes problems for me at work," "I feel like something bad is going to happen," or "I blame myself when things go wrong." Just another annoying part of the process, much like the "new patient" intake forms you have to fill out whenever you see a new doctor.

#98 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!

• Supporter
  • 17731 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:02 PM

Sometimes you just gotta jump the hoops, stupid or otherwise.

It's always worth remembering that human beings are social animals by nature. Our ability to help each other is what makes us strong as a species.

No one, literally no human being alive today can say they don't depend on anyone else to survive.

So, yeah, seeking help isn't weakness. It's our greatest strength.

nzo8WYb.png

#99 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11033 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:32 PM

Yeah, a lot of these initial assessments are just metrics and "getting to know you" questions. "Please rate these items on a scale from 'mild' to 'severe'" kind of things, just to try to isolate exactly where the problem lies so the therapist can address it directly. Every person is different, so it's normal for courses of therapy to be individualized.

#100 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14560 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:45 PM

The past year I've been bouncing around psychiatrists after the one I really liked left the practice that my insurance covers. Every one of these switches has necessitated me filling out a very similar form to give the practitioner an idea of what they're walking into rather than, having to have the "Tell me about yourself" conversation. It just allows them to quickly survey the extent of your illness and judge your needs. Believe, jumping between psychiatrists isn't fun, and I'm not a fan of the current one either, but it's part of the process and the process is what will help you heal.

Yep.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Depression, suicide, healing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users