Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:07 PM)

Today's convention haul:

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 08:54 AM)

But it was Huuunnngrrrryyyy. What was I supposed to do?

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2019 - 08:23 AM)

But did you feed any small fuzzy creatures after midnight?

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 06:32 AM)

Shouldn't be. I literally just built it. Not even three weeks ago even.

@  TM2-Megatron : (07 September 2019 - 10:13 PM)

Sounds like your computer's on its last lags, Wonko

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 07:37 PM)

Dunno, crucial says it's fine, gonna need a second opinion.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2019 - 06:52 PM)

Good luck! (or break a leg if it's like theater luck...)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Alright. The damages now seem to include my primary SSD. Thankfully, the gaming drive (I have now lost all my games and mods entirely.) Let me wipe it and install there. Once the crucial utility is installed again, will verify the drive.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Three more crashes since I pulled the ram. Verifying the OS now... tonight might be a reinstalling kinda night.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:46 AM)

And thankfully it wasn't totally dead, so it was working on occassion. If the problem is actually solved, I just need to wait and see if the program/system crashes are over.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:45 AM)

Got it. I wound up running the memtest four more times, because of course it's always the last dimm. But I got the culprit. I lost 8 gig, but I'm still at three times the "recommended" amount.

@  Hg Dragon : (07 September 2019 - 11:09 AM)

DL and run MemTest86. It'll help weed out issues. Run 1 stick at a time. Then run a stick that passed in each slot. Will help you find out if it's the RAM or the slot/motherboard

@  Patch : (07 September 2019 - 10:45 AM)

How many RAM sticks do you have total?

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 09:57 AM)

Great, two weeks of random BSODs, and I manage to finally work out some ram has gone bad. Just need to work out which one(s) and then I can go from there.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:25 AM)

*just stares*

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 04:27 AM)

My french is rusty but I'd guess Italienne-americain pain du sauce

@  Nevermore : (07 September 2019 - 02:58 AM)

What do they want "pizza" to be called? Crpes superior?

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 01:11 AM)

Are they still suing Italian restaurants for having food that's insufficiently French?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (06 September 2019 - 10:31 PM)

Not even Quebec likes Quebec?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 08:51 PM)

Quebec's a special case; they just have an insatiable lust for hate

@  Ashley : (06 September 2019 - 07:48 PM)

Those weird language laws are basically anti-everyone. Who does it help to stop certain toys from being sold there?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 04:56 PM)

Canada is one of those rare countries that's paradoxically both anti-business (except for the chosen few) and anti-consumer

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Depression and Suicide

Depression suicide healing

220 replies to this topic

#81 Caldwin

Caldwin

I'm coming for you!

• Supporter
  • 24713 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:14 AM

TDW: That wasn't an all-inclusive everyone that's posted here"we." That was a myself and others "we." I know it wasn't my call to make and I have absolutely hug-all to do with decisions made around here. I'm not that stupid. Still, I created this thread and can't say I'm not at least somewhat responsible for the environment that lead to this. That's why I said "we."

I'm not about to take on the staff for a decision they made. It's not my place and it wouldn't end well for me. I felt a mistake was made. I PM'd one of the staff to share why I felt a mistake was made. I posted an abridged version here because I took Marutans post as an invitation to do so. I have no interest in taking it any further than that.

Look, I realize none of us are professionals. When I started this, I had no illusions of swooping in with cape and cowl saving the entire world. Hell, I was surprised this thread got so much as a single reply, let alone four pages.

It was just that after some recent events in my life, and other history getting stirred up again, I felt like I needed to do something. Last night I was disappointed when it looked like that something backfired. But I have no wish of dragging out the point.
PSN = Caldwin Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#82 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28546 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:41 PM

And because I publicly vented my frustration with what happened, my boss is now upset with me in a way she hasn't been in ages.

Great...

#83 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28546 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 07:38 AM

Very low week mainly due to work. After several times this week where I was left to sort everything myself (primarily due to co-workers who are buddies with managers sneaking off for extended smoke breaks) I spoke up yesterday. I didn't shout or anything, just stood my ground. Did not go well.

Was treated like a child, fobbed off and told I'm an arrogant person who can't accept it when it isn't the answer I want to hear. That I can never admit when I'm wrong.

I'm a stubborn bastard, I'll grant you that. But I'm entirely too tired of being dumped on. You can tell when people don't respect you and this was a clear example of it.

Really wish things hadn't gone to shit in 2016. I'd have already been out of there by now.

#84 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3747 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:43 PM

atleast things going to shit is one of the few things you can count on in life.

ive been in a bit of a manic phase myself...but I got my room clean and wrote three articles...so theres ups and downs to everything.

the suck part comes when the manic fades and the depression hits.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#85 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28546 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:20 AM

Saw a doctor today. He's signed me off for 2 weeks and given me contact details to arrange to speak to a therapist at local NHS health village. Will be their call if they think medication is suitable.

Once I got outside bawled my eyes out over how weak I was to need to be doing this. So many things right now that need me to be strong and here I am running away.

#86 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3747 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 01:34 PM

strength is the knowledge that youve admitted you need help.

Edited by D Immortalis, 03 February 2019 - 01:34 PM.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#87 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11244 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 04:00 PM

There's nothing weak about needing help and being able to ask for it. Mental health is every bit as important as fixing broken bones and treating diseases.

The people who do think of it as a sign of weakness are usually so twisted up in their own damage that they can barely function.

#88 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7159 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:03 PM

You are not weak, dude. Talking to a professional about this kind of stuff takes strength under any circumstances. Maybe medication is a good idea for you, maybe it's not necessary, but you're on a path to begin finding out and that is a good outcome, most likely with even better ones down the track.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#89 Caldwin

Caldwin

I'm coming for you!

• Supporter
  • 24713 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:53 PM

It is tough to admit you need help. "I'm 41 hugging years old and never needed a damn shrink in my entire life!" Well, yeah, but, the moment you realize that ending your own life is actually an option, at that point you need to do what you need to do.

It's not easy. In fact, it can be pretty damn hard taking that step. And even once you've made that first step to see a therapist, actually being open with what you need to talk about and not closing up, that can be even more difficult.

It's not weakness. You should be damn proud of yourself that you're finally taking the steps you need to take in order to get healthy.

That actually took me a long time to figure out myself.
PSN = Caldwin Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#90 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32824 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:50 PM

Once I got outside bawled my eyes out over how weak I was to need to be doing this. So many things right now that need me to be strong and here I am running away.

Not to be redundant, I understand that you feel weak for needing help. I get it, because I've lived it.

It is, however, not weaknesses. Someone online once said, and I agree: "You've had to be too strong, for too long."

It takes strength to seek help when you need it. I hope it goes very well for you.
“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#91 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1633 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:14 PM

Yeah, HellCat - you're not weak.  You're doing the strong thing.

Going for mental help is hard. It takes a lot to realize you need the help, and then even more to get the help. 

It might work.  It might not.  But you're trying and that's a start. 

~Marduk

#92 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28546 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:20 PM

It feels like weakness given what's happening right now and people close to me suffering. Maybe if I'd done this sooner...

Plus given I've unintentionally created the atmosphere that I go looking for fights/use people as punching bags, feels like some just want me to go off to therapy because they're sick of what a disruptive element I am.

#93 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

In whatever heinous realm that it squats...

• Citizen
  • 6773 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:45 AM

Ignore why anyone else wants you to get therapy. Don't do it for them, do it for you.

In need of Movie Arcee's missile, PM me if you have a spare.

#94 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28546 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:54 AM

They have to do an assessment of me over the phone to determine if I can receive therapy.

Said assessment won't be until next Wednesday. So I've got to hold out at least another week.

#95 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10436 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:08 AM

...they have to do an assessment. To determine if you can receive therapy.

There's so much wrong with that.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#96 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28546 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:05 PM

It's part of why I keep banging on about differences between US and UK and part of why I've been irked by accusations I "don't want to get healthy". There's a marked difference between US and UK responses and treatment of mental health.

Perfect example- before the assessment I have to fill in a form which flat out asks me if I believe things like I've failed my friends and family and believe I'd be better off dead. All to judge if I'm worthy of receiving therapy or not.

See here- https://twitter.com/...3614638085?s=19

#97 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 34848 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:30 PM

That looks pretty similar to the assessment I have to do for my therapist every month or so, so the insurance has something they can use to quantify how well I'm doing. Asks you to mark how much you agree with statements like "My drug use causes problems for me at work," "I feel like something bad is going to happen," or "I blame myself when things go wrong." Just another annoying part of the process, much like the "new patient" intake forms you have to fill out whenever you see a new doctor.

#98 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!

• Supporter
  • 18172 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:02 PM

Sometimes you just gotta jump the hoops, stupid or otherwise.

It's always worth remembering that human beings are social animals by nature. Our ability to help each other is what makes us strong as a species.

No one, literally no human being alive today can say they don't depend on anyone else to survive.

So, yeah, seeking help isn't weakness. It's our greatest strength.

nzo8WYb.png

#99 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11244 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:32 PM

Yeah, a lot of these initial assessments are just metrics and "getting to know you" questions. "Please rate these items on a scale from 'mild' to 'severe'" kind of things, just to try to isolate exactly where the problem lies so the therapist can address it directly. Every person is different, so it's normal for courses of therapy to be individualized.

#100 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14595 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:45 PM

The past year I've been bouncing around psychiatrists after the one I really liked left the practice that my insurance covers. Every one of these switches has necessitated me filling out a very similar form to give the practitioner an idea of what they're walking into rather than, having to have the "Tell me about yourself" conversation. It just allows them to quickly survey the extent of your illness and judge your needs. Believe, jumping between psychiatrists isn't fun, and I'm not a fan of the current one either, but it's part of the process and the process is what will help you heal.

Yep.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Depression, suicide, healing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users