Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:07 PM)

Today's convention haul:

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 08:54 AM)

But it was Huuunnngrrrryyyy. What was I supposed to do?

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2019 - 08:23 AM)

But did you feed any small fuzzy creatures after midnight?

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 06:32 AM)

Shouldn't be. I literally just built it. Not even three weeks ago even.

@  TM2-Megatron : (07 September 2019 - 10:13 PM)

Sounds like your computer's on its last lags, Wonko

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 07:37 PM)

Dunno, crucial says it's fine, gonna need a second opinion.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2019 - 06:52 PM)

Good luck! (or break a leg if it's like theater luck...)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Alright. The damages now seem to include my primary SSD. Thankfully, the gaming drive (I have now lost all my games and mods entirely.) Let me wipe it and install there. Once the crucial utility is installed again, will verify the drive.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Three more crashes since I pulled the ram. Verifying the OS now... tonight might be a reinstalling kinda night.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:46 AM)

And thankfully it wasn't totally dead, so it was working on occassion. If the problem is actually solved, I just need to wait and see if the program/system crashes are over.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:45 AM)

Got it. I wound up running the memtest four more times, because of course it's always the last dimm. But I got the culprit. I lost 8 gig, but I'm still at three times the "recommended" amount.

@  Hg Dragon : (07 September 2019 - 11:09 AM)

DL and run MemTest86. It'll help weed out issues. Run 1 stick at a time. Then run a stick that passed in each slot. Will help you find out if it's the RAM or the slot/motherboard

@  Patch : (07 September 2019 - 10:45 AM)

How many RAM sticks do you have total?

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 09:57 AM)

Great, two weeks of random BSODs, and I manage to finally work out some ram has gone bad. Just need to work out which one(s) and then I can go from there.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:25 AM)

*just stares*

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 04:27 AM)

My french is rusty but I'd guess Italienne-americain pain du sauce

@  Nevermore : (07 September 2019 - 02:58 AM)

What do they want "pizza" to be called? Crpes superior?

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 01:11 AM)

Are they still suing Italian restaurants for having food that's insufficiently French?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (06 September 2019 - 10:31 PM)

Not even Quebec likes Quebec?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 08:51 PM)

Quebec's a special case; they just have an insatiable lust for hate

@  Ashley : (06 September 2019 - 07:48 PM)

Those weird language laws are basically anti-everyone. Who does it help to stop certain toys from being sold there?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 04:56 PM)

Canada is one of those rare countries that's paradoxically both anti-business (except for the chosen few) and anti-consumer

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Depression and Suicide

Depression suicide healing

220 replies to this topic

#21 Caldwin

Caldwin

I'm coming for you!

• Supporter
  • 24702 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:13 PM

So one of the things my therapist asked me was if I'd be willing to let someone else hold on to my shotgun during these early sessions. Sure why not? Anything to make this go right.

Except the only people I could think of to hold on to it would be my parents.

My mother called me tonight about how her side of the family was going to be in town this weekend. I told her I had an appointment Monday. Nothing suspicious there right? Not like I've been having an inordinate amount of appointments lately, right? (Read sarcasm there.)

So yeah, perfect time to tell her what's going on and what I need them to do. Except, I wussed out. I couldn't tell her that I'm seeing a therapist because I'm depressed and have been having suicidal thoughts.

I could tell my doctor. I could tell my therapist that I'd known for less than a minute. I could tell two of my text buddies. I could insinuate to a couple of my co-workers. I could tell an entire hugging message board community...but I wussed out telling my parents.

hug!
PSN = Caldwin Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#22 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!

• Supporter
  • 18170 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:10 PM

Uh... why... why are you bringing a shotgun to therapy sessions? 

But, uh, that troubling note aside, talking to your parents about this sort of thing is always going to be way harder than someone you don't know.  I wouldn't feel too bad about failing that challenge.

Besides, failure is nothing more than a chance to learn from the mistake and make a better attempt next time.

Seriously though, why do you have a shotgun at your therapy session?

nzo8WYb.png

#23 Ashley

Ashley

The nerd formerly known as Waspinator

• Citizen
  • 23790 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:17 PM

I'm assuming Caldwin means not having the shotgun at home at all during this period, not having it on him.

I'm glad that you're finding someone who you feel like you can talk to. My therapist has been a lifesaver for me, which is kind of funny since she's the third one I've had in my life (once pre-high school, the other for a couple years in college) and I'd say she's the first one that I'm really comfortable with. It's hard to open up and admit things about yourself that you haven't talked to anyone about before. There is a horrible paradox about parents for that purpose: they're probably some of the people who know you the best, but they're also probably the people whose judgement you care about the most. Venting to strangers online can be strangely easy, since it doesn't have any real consequences.

I'm terrified that my father thinks I'm a disappointment and that's not something he's ever even implied. I think it's made me ignore things about myself for years because I'm scared of what he's going to think about me. I admit it's probably all in my head, but that isn't enough for me to be able to ignore these thoughts about a lot of things. The only real advice I can give is to try as hard as you can to talk to people about what you're worried about. Keeping things bottled up just tears you apart inside.

Edited by Waspinator, 05 October 2018 - 12:39 AM.

#24 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

• Supporter
  • 18170 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:30 AM

Oh! That... That would make a great deal more sense. Yeah.

Edited by The Doctor Who, 05 October 2018 - 12:30 AM.

nzo8WYb.png

#25 Caldwin

Caldwin

I'm coming for you!

• Supporter
  • 24702 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:59 AM

Okay, I'll admit my phrasing could have been better, but disturbing image aside, I'm surprised your first interpretation went to me touting a full sized shotgun around a medical office. Not offended, just...puzzled trying to even picture that.

That aside, thanks both of you. Last night was another crappy night. So it helps to see someone understanding the situation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#26 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11244 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:57 AM

Is there a self-storage unit near (or even not near) you? Even if it is technically still in your possession, you can still make it a hassle to get to.

#27 Caldwin

Caldwin

I'm coming for you!

• Supporter
  • 24702 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 03:42 PM

Ugh! Self-storage unit would be yet another monthly expense I do not need. Ideally it should go to my parents during this time. But seeing as how I'm having to work myself up to that, right now I have the shotgun and ammo in separate rooms with a lock on the gun itself.

Admittedly, I have the key for the lock. But really, the danger was if I were to have a bad night and do something impulsive. If I have to think about it, I'm not going to do it. And right now, I'd have it to where I'd have to think about it.

Again, ideally, I'd have it at my parents house for now. But until I can get to where I can talk to them about this, I at least have it to where I'd really have to think about it before I can do anything.

#28 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6676 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:27 PM

Ugh! Self-storage unit would be yet another monthly expense I do not need. Ideally it should go to my parents during this time. But seeing as how I'm having to work myself up to that, right now I have the shotgun and ammo in separate rooms with a lock on the gun itself.

Admittedly, I have the key for the lock. But really, the danger was if I were to have a bad night and do something impulsive. If I have to think about it, I'm not going to do it. And right now, I'd have it to where I'd have to think about it.

Again, ideally, I'd have it at my parents house for now. But until I can get to where I can talk to them about this, I at least have it to where I'd really have to think about it before I can do anything.

Most any shotgun has an easily removable barrel. Remove this and let someone else hold on to it. This way you don't have to put the burdon of securing a firearm on anyone else, if they don't already have a safe, but It renders it inoperable for you as well. You could also send the barrel throught the mail(provided you are in the US) with no legal hassle to someone you trust, if you where not ready to discuss this with your parents yet.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#29 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

• Supporter
  • 18170 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:42 PM

Okay, I'll admit my phrasing could have been better, but disturbing image aside, I'm surprised your first interpretation went to me touting a full sized shotgun around a medical office. Not offended, just...puzzled trying to even picture that.

I mean, I was puzzled too, which is why I asked.  The phrasing had the same kind of active situational implication as someone saying 'let someone else hold my purse while I'm with the doctor' which is probably how the image came to mind.  In retrospect it's obvious what you meant, but in the moment of being very earnest and literal it just slipped past the logic door XD

And, I mean, didn't have to be a full sized one.  Could be a sawed-off.  Single or double barreled, I dunno what you have.

nzo8WYb.png

#30 Caldwin

Caldwin

I'm coming for you!

• Supporter
  • 24702 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:45 PM

Full sized pump-action single barreled. I could be totally wrong...but aren't sawed-off's illegal? Could be totally wrong, but...

Edited by Caldwin, 05 October 2018 - 04:45 PM.

#31 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

In whatever heinous realm that it squats...

• Citizen
  • 6767 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:59 PM

Get a lockable chest and a safe deposit box at a bank. Put your guns and ammo in the locked chest and put the key to the chest in the safe deposit box. A safe deposit box is much cheaper than a storage unit.

In need of Movie Arcee's missile, PM me if you have a spare.

#32 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

• Supporter
  • 18170 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:04 PM

Full sized pump-action single barreled. I could be totally wrong...but aren't sawed-off's illegal? Could be totally wrong, but...

I genuinely have no idea. Googling... ah, apparently modifying shotguns is illegal, but there are 'short barreled' shotguns that are legal. Or something like that?

nzo8WYb.png

#33 Ashley

Ashley

• Citizen
  • 23790 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:12 PM

If the goal is to put more barriers in your way but to not have to explain to anyone what you're doing, what about doing something with the key? That would be very easy to leave at work or somewhere and shouldn't appear very strange. Or if you feel like you can trust them enough, give it to your therapist?

#34 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1633 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:38 PM

Can you freeze the key? Stick it in a big enough container that thawing it out is a PITA and would at least give you some time to think about what you're doing should you go for the key.

That used to be how people dealt with credit card debt way back when.  I wouldn't think that the key should be damaged unless there are electronic components to it.

~Marduk

#35 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38672 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:48 PM

...but I wussed out telling my parents.

hug!

I understand.

When my school sent me to therapy, my parents intervened and insisted that the school was never ever to do such a thing again. Because they were mortified. They took it as an insult. They were too proud.

I wish they could have been kept in the dark somehow. But what would have been better is to make them understand that it was no one's fault. I didn't fail. They didn't fail.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#36 Ashley

Ashley

• Citizen
  • 23790 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:16 PM

Relationships with parents have a ton of baggage even when you're on good terms. Even looking as an adult and even if they never abused their authority, I think the sense of authority remains. It's hard to not see their opinions as things you SHOULD do.

#37 Caldwin

Caldwin

I'm coming for you!

• Supporter
  • 24702 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:29 PM

Guys,I appreciate that you care. But you really don't need to worry. I have the barrels and ammo in one place, the gun itself in another with a lock on it with the key to the lock in yet another place. That's enough that an impulse fit is not going to happen and I'm not going to do anything if I'm having to think about it. I won't do anything soon.

For one thing, right now I have the sessions coming up. I have a reason to keep giving myself a chance. For another thing, this is beginning to become uncomfortably about me. Which is fine if it's helping the conversation to keep going. But I'd rather not dwell too much on it if we could not.

#38 Ashley

Ashley

• Citizen
  • 23790 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:45 AM

I'm sorry if I went too far. I was just trying to be helpful and it's a serious enough topic that I didn't want to hold back any suggestions that could be useful.

#39 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28543 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 04:55 AM

I've had depression most of my life. A lot of it is due to my family. My father was abusive, most men on either side of the family are trash and so I get tarred with the same brush. It's crippling when the patriarch of the family hurt everyone under his roof including you but because you're male too it's assumed you're his second coming.

Add in that I'm 'weird' (always preferred sci-fi and solitude to more typical 'blokey' things) and I have a low voice that makes it difficult/boring to listen to me speak and my confidence is at an all time low.

Tried to kill myself a few times, mainly by means of walking in front of a car. I know some here seem to think I only talk about depression and suicide as some childish means for attention but for me it's very real. Some days the only thing that keeps me going is sheer anger and stubborness over how unfair my life has been. But then there are the days where I hate my own guts and feel everyone would be happier without me. Doesn't help people have confirmed as much many times.

#40 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10435 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 07 October 2018 - 05:30 AM

I've had depression most of my life. A lot of it is due to my family. My father was abusive, most men on either side of the family are trash and so I get tarred with the same brush. It's crippling when the patriarch of the family hurt everyone under his roof including you but because you're male too it's assumed you're his second coming.

Add in that I'm 'weird' (always preferred sci-fi and solitude to more typical 'blokey' things) and I have a low voice that makes it difficult/boring to listen to me speak and my confidence is at an all time low.

Tried to kill myself a few times, mainly by means of walking in front of a car. I know some here seem to think I only talk about depression and suicide as some childish means for attention but for me it's very real. Some days the only thing that keeps me going is sheer anger and stubborness over how unfair my life has been. But then there are the days where I hate my own guts and feel everyone would be happier without me. Doesn't help people have confirmed as much many times.

Damn. I can sympathize with far too much of that.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Depression, suicide, healing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users