Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 03:55 PM)

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been to a walk-in clinic, as I tend not to get sick (and the one time I do every 4-5 years, I prefer just riding it out at home), but the last time I went I'm pretty sure you could just show up, no appointment. It may be different in Quebec,though

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

There's always a sense of irony to it, but what the ratio between irony (you really failed) and straightworwardness (at least you achieved something) is depends on the situation and the speaker.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Depression and Suicide

Depression suicide healing

222 replies to this topic

#201 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28687 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:55 AM

Just had police at my door.

Made a thread on Twitter that I believed I was probably destined for suicide because despite seeking professional help none of it had worked and that I knew it was down to how things were going in my life and the world around me, so it wouldn't address that. I didn't say 'I'm going to kill myself', just outlined that I feared it would end that way because, again, professional help hadn't worked for me.

Someone reported it and I've just had a police officer here thinking I was in imminent danger of self harm. Which hasn't helped.

#202 Caldwin

Caldwin

Cool but crude

• Supporter
  • 24890 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 23 June 2019 - 03:41 PM

The wording of your post makes it sound like you don't want to kill yourself, but you think it's going to end that way because that's how things are headed.

I understand that professional help hasn't been good so far. I'm wondering if maybe it's because it's been a "do it or else" type thing. I mean, it is important to find a therapist who fits with you. My first therapist wasn't who I wound up with either.

But I get the feeling that maybe because it was a "do it or else" situation, maybe it added a layer of complication to it. But if you're at a point now where you truly don't want things to end in suicide, maybe you're more ready for it? Maybe you're still looking for the right therapist, but now you're ready to actually begin that search?

I don't know, I'm making some assumptions here. But it just sounds like you're finally at a place where you don't really want to kill yourself, you just don't know what the other options are.

I'll tell you, therapy isn't easy. They're going to tell you things you don't want to hear. But when you go through it, when you see it start to work...

I mean, I actually am happy now. I went through a bunch of shit along the way. There were times I was pretty broken. But there is a life on the other side of therapy.

I say keep with it. Even if you don't hit it off with a therapist immediately, give them a good solid chance before writing them off. But don't stop looking for the one that's going to help you get through this. The alternative...it just isn't good. You can do so much better.
PSN = Caldwin Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#203 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Confused? Its a Mayhem thing

• Supporter
  • 62285 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:06 AM

that all being said, Therapy isn't for everyone and it's not a surefire fix even if it is 'for you' ... as long as you're willing to not kill yourself like an idiot.. you're not going to accidentally trip and fall into suicide.

it's sort of one of those things you have to be actively perusing for it to happen 

now I admit, that's a very harsh way of putting it. But you seem really sure you aren't actively looking forward to it, so I think you'll understand my bluntness. 

there are obviously things going on that are causing you to think that this is the way you'll go out - that would be where I'd start with things. 

you'll figure this stuff out.  

#204 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28687 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 03:17 AM

I put in for therapy because I realised I was in a dark place and wanted to climb out of it.

I was rejected for therapy but had been seeing a mental health nurse past few months. She once asked that as low as I was what kept me from having already killed myself? "Because there's more out there in the world and more to come. If I'm dead, I won't get to see any of it."

Having been denied therapy I had to put in for counselling. And that was useless. Paying for an hour a week for sessions where I was to take the lead whilst they were hands off. No help at all. Just leaves me out of pocket with nothing to show for it and feeling even more pathetic.

I'd already isolated with the nurse the things that would need to change in my life. But I'm depressed and suicidal BECAUSE I have no mechanism to change those things. I'm stuck, largely due to the mistakes and selfishness of others.

#205 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 62285 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 05:26 AM

that's too bad man, I wish I could swap with you.  but I don't know if being depressed because of your own mistakes is any better. lol 

but hey, take heart in knowing that because nothing that's gone wrong was your own doing - anything you have done up until now was the right thing to do... good odds for continuing to move forward. 

#206 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3763 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:01 AM

finding out that one of my alltime fave bands is back together and touring again (PWEI, Pop Will Eat Itself), has kind of put me into a bit of a downward spiral...

i spent all day yesterday and most of this morning to far screaming at my parents for "saving my life" in march, and reminding them that i gave them 6 months.

im not gong to live like this, trapped in my own body and trapped in my house prison forever. this'll be the thiird concert this year that it would have been important for me to see, so that i have somthing to look forward to that isnt just laying here.

they all "Love me". so apprently that means i have to live and suffer at their behest...i cant pretend and dance on strings much longer, i get so tired of pretending.

"As much to my dismay
I am still alive today
An ever wonder what it will take
To fall asleep and never wake" The isotopes - Hurt

Edited by D Immortalis, 08 July 2019 - 08:01 AM.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#207 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 62285 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 01:40 PM

killing yourself wont let you see the concert either though... there's a major flaw in the logic here 

#208 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

• Citizen
  • 3763 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:41 PM

but it punishes everyone who failed me.

EDIT: actually, let me expand a bit. 

See, when i was dieing, they all knew what to do when they saved my life against my wishes...as if i had never had feelings or spoken on thta subject before.

Now they've trapped me in this hell....they hugging owe me.

So, I told my best friend this morning, either I see that show or they can see me at my funeral. its as simple as that.

Im "loved" and im "needed" and im "wanted" and "important"...well its time to prove it.

Edited by D Immortalis, 08 July 2019 - 04:44 PM.

#209 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 62285 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:06 AM

do you think guilt tripping your loved ones into buying you concert tickets to prevent your suicide ..will make you feel good enough about your life that you wont just look for something else to kill yourself over as soon as you come down from the concert high?  

#210 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1668 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 09 July 2019 - 02:08 PM

I would suggest you call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline ASAP.

I would also suggest that if you don't have a therapist, find one ASAP.

Missing out on a band isn't worth killing yourself.

Even with what's going on with your health.

It sucks now. It can get better.

~Marduk

#211 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

• Citizen
  • 3763 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:32 AM

do you think guilt tripping your loved ones into buying you concert tickets to prevent your suicide ..will make you feel good enough about your life that you wont just look for something else to kill yourself over as soon as you come down from the concert high?  

I know I come off as a selfish child in these kind of situations, but ive already missed a once in a lifetime concert this year when,  back on may 25th (a band called Leatherstrip, who at the age of 15 completely changed my life, played in Newark at the goth club we used to go to every weekend...before, like everything else in my life, my friends all stopped wanting to go to all the time, so I got screwed out of going...played there)...and because I didn't hve all the money for tickets...and see, that's another wrinkle in all this...IF its something I like, like a band or a movie or certain indie wrestling companies, I ALWAYS have to pay for EVERYONE, and not just admission, I gotta pay for dinner, I gotta pay for gas, etc...NO ONE ever says "hey luke, that thing you love? lets do that and for once it's on us!"

So not only have these people put me in this hell im in, they STILL don't care about anything that matters to me. THATS why I gave the ultimatum...In march they all cared so much, so that now ive been made into a true cripple...it wouldn't kill someone to FREAKIN' STEP UP!

besides, I gave them all 6 months...I said from the time I got into physical rehab that 6 months from that date is New York Comic-Con, which has now been taken from me...and I know that in 6 months time I will be no better, my pain will still be horrifying, I will still be trapped in the beaten, broken shell....dead inside...That that weekend seems poetic for me to end all of this...And all anyone has to do is show me that this messed up broken life their love has put me in WONT ALWAYS be this shitty, and that sometimes its not just words, but deeds that can be done to make me feel like I still exist.

And while yeah, its true that after I get one thing that something else will come up...but my pain isn't ending, so why should people helping me find something to look forward to so its not just a bleak empty future end?

~Marduk

my therapist ended up being dropped by me because she never once came to see me in the hospital, or in recovery, or even for the first month I was home...so I am in search of both a psychologist and a psychiatrist...the problem is finding one who will come to me...getting out of the house is hard enough with all my doctors and physical therapy...im not adding more trips up and down the stairs and stuff...

I just got word about a group who might be able to help, I just have to contact them this week.

#212 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1668 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:15 AM

Keep fighting. Because if you don't, that s**ty little bastard known as depression wins. And it wants nothing more than to win.

Try that group. Call around. Definitely find a psychologist to talk to. Hell, call the hotline and they should be able to give you someone to talk to.

But don't ever stop fighting.

~Marduk

#213 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6700 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:49 PM

I know I come off as a selfish child in these kind of situations, but ive already missed a once in a lifetime concert this year when,  back on may 25th (a band called Leatherstrip, who at the age of 15 completely changed my life, played in Newark at the goth club we used to go to every weekend...before, like everything else in my life, my friends all stopped wanting to go to all the time, so I got screwed out of going...played there)...and because I didn't hve all the money for tickets...and see, that's another wrinkle in all this...IF its something I like, like a band or a movie or certain indie wrestling companies, I ALWAYS have to pay for EVERYONE, and not just admission, I gotta pay for dinner, I gotta pay for gas, etc...NO ONE ever says "hey luke, that thing you love? lets do that and for once it's on us!"

So not only have these people put me in this hell im in, they STILL don't care about anything that matters to me. THATS why I gave the ultimatum...In march they all cared so much, so that now ive been made into a true cripple...it wouldn't kill someone to FREAKIN' STEP UP!

besides, I gave them all 6 months...I said from the time I got into physical rehab that 6 months from that date is New York Comic-Con, which has now been taken from me...and I know that in 6 months time I will be no better, my pain will still be horrifying, I will still be trapped in the beaten, broken shell....dead inside...That that weekend seems poetic for me to end all of this...And all anyone has to do is show me that this messed up broken life their love has put me in WONT ALWAYS be this shitty, and that sometimes its not just words, but deeds that can be done to make me feel like I still exist.

And while yeah, its true that after I get one thing that something else will come up...but my pain isn't ending, so why should people helping me find something to look forward to so its not just a bleak empty future end?

~Marduk

my therapist ended up being dropped by me because she never once came to see me in the hospital, or in recovery, or even for the first month I was home...so I am in search of both a psychologist and a psychiatrist...the problem is finding one who will come to me...getting out of the house is hard enough with all my doctors and physical therapy...im not adding more trips up and down the stairs and stuff...

I just got word about a group who might be able to help, I just have to contact them this week.

I don't mean to dog on you, but try to view the following with some perspective.

You are threatening to kill yourself if you don't get to leave the house to see a concert.

You will not leave the house to go get medical help for your mental health which could literally save your life.

You are placing seeing a musical act above both your mental and physical health.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#214 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7276 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:49 PM

These are fair points. I want to add though that it isn't necessarily as simple as "that's just a concert". Like, that sounds, at a (ear) glance, fairly mundane or trivial, but different things have different value to different people. A concert can be more than just a concert. It's okay for that experience to mean a lot, and a lot more than other people may understand. 

But also, yes, one does need to also prioritise other things and particularly so one's mental and physical health. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#215 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

nom nom nom

• Supporter
  • 13894 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:07 AM

It could be considered a part of mental health. Sometimes you need something to enjoy, to take you out of your current situation for a little bit.
Still, I know you're in a lot of pain, but your friends and family are hurting too. I'm sure they're hoping that things will get better, even if you don't believe it.

#216 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28687 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:16 AM

So UK is currently on course to crash out of EU on 31st October. Last week we got told work wants to block holidays that week and the week after. Won't tell us why. So when I get the chance I ask the store manager polietly "Is this because you're expecting us to be dealing with shortages from No Deal Brexit?". He prickles somewhat at the question, giving an inconsistent answer whilst claiming that isn't the reason. Next 2 times he sees me he's noticeably hostile with me and on Friday from a distance I overheard him talking to someone about problems Brexit will cause the business.

So if I'm still there, they're seemingly expecting us staff to deal with the chaos which could extend to looting and violence.

Additionally, had a dream last night my parents were still together. Their only response to me was telling me what an annoying disappointment I am.

#217 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 62285 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:32 AM

maybe start figuring out an escape route if things do turn to shit.  Also sorry about your dream, that's rough. 

#218 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5407 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:07 AM

How do you go about finding a therapist?

#219 Doin It To Ham

Doin It To Ham

HAMHOLE

• Supporter
  • 4324 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:30 AM

Not sarcasm - google local therapists. If you go to one who isn't quite right for you, they tend to have a network of others they can send you to.

#220 Caldwin

Caldwin

Cool but crude

• Supporter
  • 24890 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:17 PM

My family doctor was able to suggest one. When I found out my work place had an employee assistance program, I got their phone number and they gave me a list of places the covered.
PSN = Caldwin Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Depression, suicide, healing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users