Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Benbot : (20 November 2018 - 06:54 PM)

We're not actually back, this is all a dream.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 November 2018 - 06:12 PM)

It was, we're just humoring you.

@  Arazyr : (20 November 2018 - 02:17 PM)

I was wondering if that was just me...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 November 2018 - 02:01 PM)

And we are back after that round of Forum downtime.

@  Pennpenn : (20 November 2018 - 06:30 AM)

Feels like it's been so long since there's been a proper storm that I've been awake for. This one even has pink lightning, which always great.

@  Pennpenn : (20 November 2018 - 06:22 AM)

So long as he has an R by his name. Even if the R is for "Recepticons"

@  Nevermore : (20 November 2018 - 06:18 AM)

Sadly, my first reaction was "And I'm sure way too many people would seriously, unironically really vote for the blatant bad guy and still cheer at him while he's slaughtering the masses because they saw him on TV and he's cool."

@  Nevermore : (20 November 2018 - 06:17 AM)

Someone over at TFW2005 just discovered an old photo of political campaign signs, with one saying "Vote Megatron! Global Domination."

@  Paladin : (19 November 2018 - 07:02 AM)

let's be real. at this rate we're not lasting until 2075.

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 November 2018 - 06:34 AM)

The rest of the world may build a wall around the US in 2075.

@  Nevermore : (19 November 2018 - 05:53 AM)

Tell an conservative conspiracy maniac that women are literally the Satan's spawn out to infect humanity with the gender virus that will turn everyone into communist Muslims who eat children, and they will be like, "Well of course! That makes perfect sense!"

@  Nevermore : (19 November 2018 - 05:49 AM)

It's evidence of Poe's Law.

@  Nevermore : (19 November 2018 - 05:48 AM)

The world is insane.

@  Nevermore : (19 November 2018 - 05:48 AM)

Geeez, I just read a story about a liberal satire Facebook page that would publish absolutely outlandish, ridiculous made-up conservative propaganda, stuff so absurd nobody with half a brain could take it seriously... and conservatives are taking it at face value.

@  Pennpenn : (19 November 2018 - 02:27 AM)

Oh don't make me go talk to Peter Dutton. My week has been painful enough as it is...

@  Telly : (18 November 2018 - 09:13 PM)

he cant leave quarantine until he talks to the king of the potato people

@  Pennpenn : (18 November 2018 - 01:03 AM)

Debateable. It's a sunday anyway. Wonder if I'll still feel up and ready to go tomorrow. Don't want to take too many days off leading up to the end of the year.

@  MEDdMI : (18 November 2018 - 12:01 AM)

@Pennpenn hooray! Now you can leave quarantine.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2018 - 08:58 PM)

The national tour is currently in Raleigh-Durham.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2018 - 06:29 PM)

Ok, feeling much better now.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 November 2018 - 06:20 PM)

Is hamilton playing in hamilton?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 November 2018 - 03:34 PM)

Maybe the show in the city?

@  wonko the sane? : (17 November 2018 - 01:21 PM)

To the show or the city?

@  The Doctor Who : (17 November 2018 - 11:01 AM)

Niiice!

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2018 - 10:48 AM)

My mom won two tickets to Hamilton!

@  wonko the sane? : (17 November 2018 - 09:46 AM)

Welp, good morning so far. My brother helped me get my sister in law's christmas gift, and reminded me I still had to get my mom's calendar for next year.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2018 - 08:22 AM)

Oh yeah, feeling feverish. What fun.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 November 2018 - 10:07 PM)

My father used to ask his boss that question. Then he STOPPED asking, and got used to twiddling his thumbs. Made things so much easier, and didn't actually change how his bosses thought of him.

@  Nevermore : (16 November 2018 - 07:31 PM)

So of course you wait until the end of your shift like everyone else, THEN you walk up to the manager on duty and ask him what you're supposed to do during the requested overtime.

@  Nevermore : (16 November 2018 - 07:30 PM)

Fun: The employer allows (paid) voluntary overtime, cannot backtrack on the permit, and before the regular end of your shift, you notice you're rapidly running out of work.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 November 2018 - 06:27 PM)

Fear is a state of mind.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 November 2018 - 06:25 PM)

Did you just assume my sociopolitical status?

@  Pennpenn : (16 November 2018 - 06:13 PM)

Oh stop being such a pack of drama monarchs!

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 November 2018 - 06:11 PM)

Too late. They can smell your fear.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 November 2018 - 04:10 PM)

Nobody say anything and you'll be safe from the mob.

@  TM2-Megatron : (16 November 2018 - 03:41 PM)

It used to be

@  Arazyr : (16 November 2018 - 02:05 PM)

I would agree.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 November 2018 - 01:15 PM)

I say yes, but I imagine many would disagree with me.

@  Paladin : (16 November 2018 - 12:34 PM)

settle a bet: is "drama queen" a gender-neutral description?

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 November 2018 - 08:38 PM)

Sounds like management is the same everywhere :p

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 November 2018 - 08:12 PM)

My bosses are too busy trying to see if they can have their heads up their own asses while still being able to kiss the asses of everyone above them. It'd be amusing to watch if I wasn't one of the ones trying to get everything done to cover for it.

@  Nevermore : (15 November 2018 - 07:05 PM)

He's living by the standard "bow to those below you; kick at those above you. You got more people below you than above you."

@  Nevermore : (15 November 2018 - 07:04 PM)

Whenever we go on strike, he's there with us. He told me that this is the only completely legal way for him to show his own bosses the finger,

@  Nevermore : (15 November 2018 - 07:03 PM)

Well, this guy has been getting flak from above, it's just that he doesn't care. He's doing what he thinks is right. He's easily the smartest of my superiors, and also the one with the biggest balls.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 November 2018 - 05:24 PM)

Must be nice, having a boss that cares.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 November 2018 - 01:03 PM)

Indeed.

@  Echowarrior : (15 November 2018 - 11:58 AM)

That's a good superior.

@  Nevermore : (15 November 2018 - 06:21 AM)

Arguing in my favor that I was working under sub-par conditions, there were problems with sudden halts of the conveyor and other issues that affected my productivity, and besides, why was this guy giving a feedback to one of HIS subordinates, wich was his job?

@  Nevermore : (15 November 2018 - 06:19 AM)

Also, yesterday he stood up for me when a superior from the department I was sent to was giving me a productivity feedback.

@  Nevermore : (15 November 2018 - 06:19 AM)

So this week all of my superiors save one guy are absent, and I'm not noticing a difference. Which says a lot about this guy.

Photo

Unicron #4 Discussion

62 replies to this topic

#1 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 9186 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 04 September 2018 - 05:18 PM

Discuss the issue here!

#2 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3535 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:15 AM

WSN9Yr8.png
"He learned, almost too late, that man is a feeling creature and, because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned, too late for himself, that men have to make their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And, when men seek such perfection, they find there's only death, fire, loss, disillusionment, the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to toil and misery. It can't be given; it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from man himself."

#3 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 9186 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:38 AM

Sanctuary Station burning has me thinking back to Optimus's dream again, and it suddenly occurs to me that there's a very good chance Bludgeon's Worldsweeper is getting crashed into the White House...

#4 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 12351 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:01 AM

This issue felt like it was treading water a bit.

Also, Shockwave's big plan didn't involve checking nobody moved the talisman? He seems strangely non-plussed about his 11 million year plan collapsing, even for Shockwave.

Are we supposed to assume that all the beastformers/Bludgeon etc have been co-opted by Unicron and Shockwave just doesn't know it yet (which is weirdly unobservant given he was there last issue)? Or are there two Optimus Primals wandering around?

The backup rather suggests the end will be some wibbly wobbly time travel reset of everything that wipes out the current timeline.

Edited by The Phazer, 05 September 2018 - 07:07 AM.

#5 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3535 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:12 AM

It's always fun when you get to watch your city blow up, and you can point out specific landmarks going up in flames.
"He learned, almost too late, that man is a feeling creature and, because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned, too late for himself, that men have to make their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And, when men seek such perfection, they find there's only death, fire, loss, disillusionment, the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to toil and misery. It can't be given; it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from man himself."

#6 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2525 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:10 AM

Aw, Cosmos.  Even Sky-Byte went out like a champ.

I don't recall seeing Buzzsaw dying, so I assume he survived since he's awesome.

#7 Broadside

Broadside

Now I'm a beeliever

• Staff
  • 10611 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:20 AM

I like that it's looking increasingly plausible that Unicron has just taken on the form of Cybertron's mythical uncreator as his newly-obtained robot mode. There's something very poetic about that, since he's basically the embodiment of Cybertron's sins come back to haunt it.

unknown.png

#8 Devcon

Devcon

*STAB STAB STABBITY STAB*

• Retired Staff
  • 11755 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:11 AM

Why. Isnt. Pyra. Magna. Dead. Already.

(Not kidding. This character annoys me to no end. Best case scenario: she and Spike somehow get in a fight and kill each other)

Edited by Devcon, 05 September 2018 - 11:30 AM.

Stand back, I gotta practice my stabbin'. HA-HAAAA!

#9 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9333 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:19 AM

The backup rather suggests the end will be some wibbly wobbly time travel reset of everything that wipes out the current timeline.

I think this may be a bit too literal of a reading. It seemed more like meta-commentary on the IDW universe ending than an indication of anything that's going to happen in-story.

#10 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16463 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:28 AM

Surprised by how sad I got at Sky-Byte's death. He was a jokey character from a jokey series 17 years ago, that we only got because Hasbro needed to fill more time while they were engineering Minicon gimmickry. He was only in the comics at all because we love him. He lasted this long in the comic I suspect because nobody had it in them to kill him.

This, more than anything we've seen in the Unicron arc, really hammers home that an entire mindset behind TF storytelling is over. We moving into the land of Evergreen echoes of like nine 1984-85 characters plus Windblade, who the fans asked for once and will get forever in some "HAVE ALL THE DONUTS IN THE WORLD" Twilight Zone punishment. Anything smaller or quirkier than that just doesn't seem to play a role anymore.

Edited by Thylacine 2000, 05 September 2018 - 09:30 AM.

#11 Walky

Walky

A bigger physique than a gorilla captain

• Citizen
  • 39047 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:56 AM

That seems a little Sky Is Fallingy. I mean, even IDW started out with only Optimus, Ratchet, Prowl, Jazz, Wheeljack, and Bumblebee, with the most outside thinking choice being Sunstreaker.

Cyberverse is one episode old. IDW's next thing hasn't even been announced. I think it's too soon to be decrying some 1984 purgatory forevermore.

#12 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2525 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:00 AM

Also, Shockwave's big plan didn't involve checking nobody moved the talisman? He seems strangely non-plussed about his 11 million year plan collapsing, even for Shockwave.

Are we supposed to assume that all the beastformers/Bludgeon etc have been co-opted by Unicron and Shockwave just doesn't know it yet (which is weirdly unobservant given he was there last issue)? Or are there two Optimus Primals wandering around?

I'm assuming Shockwave's only mistake was trusting Bludgeon.  Bludgeon was probably supposed to ensure the Talisman was where it was supposed to be, among other things.  And he's had a confusing number of secret employers.  Shockwave just thought HE was the be-all, end-all secret employer.

In fact...(follow me here as I puzzle this out in real time) now that I think of it, Bludgeon's technically been under Jhiaxus' control (and thus Shockwave's control) since Revelation, hasn't he?  Shockwave probably had no reason to think he had any other agenda.

In Salvation, Bludgeon notes that he wishes he could have "known" Jhiaxus.  Why would he think such a thing if he was palling around with Jhiaxus for all of RID season 1?  Perhaps because he only recently broke his conditioning and he's back to being the fanatic from Stormbringer...the series where he was obsessed with techno-organic outer-shells...which the Maximals now all possess!

Phew!  Maybe.

And perhaps Primal, Rhinox, and Beast Megs will turn on Shockwave next issue once Bludgeon arrives on Earth.

#13 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34793 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:53 PM

Sky-Byte went to go live on a farm right

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#14 Sockie

Sockie
  • Citizen
  • 1884 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:26 PM

Cosmos's death has left me feeling very, very sad.

Why did those four characters have to die?  :( 

#15 General Tekno

General Tekno

BRUNT; F.C.A.!

• Citizen
  • 2028 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:30 PM

I'm assuming Shockwave's only mistake was trusting Bludgeon.  Bludgeon was probably supposed to ensure the Talisman was where it was supposed to be, among other things.  And he's had a confusing number of secret employers.  Shockwave just thought HE was the be-all, end-all secret employer.

In fact...(follow me here as I puzzle this out in real time) now that I think of it, Bludgeon's technically been under Jhiaxus' control (and thus Shockwave's control) since Revelation, hasn't he?  Shockwave probably had no reason to think he had any other agenda.

In Salvation, Bludgeon notes that he wishes he could have "known" Jhiaxus.  Why would he think such a thing if he was palling around with Jhiaxus for all of RID season 1?  Perhaps because he only recently broke his conditioning and he's back to being the fanatic from Stormbringer...the series where he was obsessed with techno-organic outer-shells...which the Maximals now all possess!

Phew!  Maybe.

And perhaps Primal, Rhinox, and Beast Megs will turn on Shockwave next issue once Bludgeon arrives on Earth.

That's a good point; after all, Jhiaxus was the one who set up a mental link with Bludgeon in the first place.

Suppose that all this time Bludgeon's actions haven't been his own but rather those of Jhiaxus?

banner_2015.png

BT Toons - updates Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Blog | Youtube | Twitter | DeviantArt | Tumblr

#16 Magnusblitz

Magnusblitz
  • Citizen
  • 4032 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:15 PM

I found this issue very meh. The pacing to me seems way off and we're having characters die left and right... but they're not even dying in ways that elicit an emotional touching response. Elita decides to crash Carcer into Unicron's face with about as much effect as when you squish a gnat on your skin and flick it away (man am I disappointed she never got to do anything interesting after such a good character setup). Cosmos and company decide to make some sort of last stand that accomplishes nothing from what I can tell. Blurr at least accomplished something with his sacrifice, but the way it was presented (needing to explain what was going on at the same time) sapped any impact from it IMO. Shockwave just teleports out of his cell (because... millions of years to plan?) yet couldn't figure out that maybe telling Optimus and company your plan wasn't the best way to ensure the Talisman was left to take out Unicron.

At least Beast Megatron finally gets named so I don't need to read people calling him Gnashteeth anymore.

Edited by Magnusblitz, 05 September 2018 - 03:15 PM.

#17 Sockie

Sockie
  • Citizen
  • 1884 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:36 PM

I found this issue very meh. The pacing to me seems way off and we're having characters die left and right... but they're not even dying in ways that elicit an emotional touching response. Elita decides to crash Carcer into Unicron's face with about as much effect as when you squish a gnat on your skin and flick it away (man am I disappointed she never got to do anything interesting after such a good character setup). Cosmos and company decide to make some sort of last stand that accomplishes nothing from what I can tell. Blurr at least accomplished something with his sacrifice, but the way it was presented (needing to explain what was going on at the same time) sapped any impact from it IMO. Shockwave just teleports out of his cell (because... millions of years to plan?) yet couldn't figure out that maybe telling Optimus and company your plan wasn't the best way to ensure the Talisman was left to take out Unicron.

At least Beast Megatron finally gets named so I don't need to read people calling him Gnashteeth anymore.

Cosmos and the others' sacrifice was to allow everyone else on Sanctuary Station time to escape to Earth.

#18 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1538 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:54 PM

Why. Isnt. Pyra. Magna. Dead. Already.

(Not kidding. This character annoys me to no end. Best case scenario: she and Spike somehow get in a fight and kill each other)

If OP 25 will be naming a new Prime, I'm going to guess it will be a new combiner made from Pyra Magna, Slide, a revived Metalhawk, Spike, and a fifth character implied to be that one other character you absolutely hate. They will only rarely use their combined form because the combiner usually loses track of its opponents due to an overwhelming urge to utterly destroy itself.

#19 Creedence

Creedence

borf borf

• Citizen
  • 8782 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:58 PM

I guess "Beast Megatron" is now a thing. But the Maximal plotline is still pretty incoherent and I doubt it'll be clarified whatsoever in the next two issues.

#20 Magnusblitz

Magnusblitz
  • Citizen
  • 4032 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:30 PM

Cosmos and the others' sacrifice was to allow everyone else on Sanctuary Station time to escape to Earth.

Fair enough, re-reading it closer I can see all the escape pods leaving and Bludgeon's dialogue even points out that he made the decision to let the pods go before Stardrive showed up. I mean, in reality I still have a hard time seeing four guys making a big enough dent against Bludgeon's fleet to matter, but as presented the sacrifice had meaning (are there any 'name' characters on the station anymore?)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users