Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 10:14 AM)

*ahem* 4th of July....

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 08:14 AM)

Nothing of importance has happened before, and nothing of importance will happen again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 08:12 AM)

Nothing of importance happened today.

@  Telly : (03 July 2020 - 09:54 PM)

i want a "i survived 'rona and all i got was this lousy t-shirt"

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 July 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Slogan for 2021: "I Lived, Bitch."

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

They should make the next book in the Survivors series 'I SURVIVED CORONA VIRUS 2020'

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

YEEEE I'M A SURVIVOR-

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:59 AM)

Probably gonna assemble Devastator after work.

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:58 AM)

Ooooh. Overload arrived. He's surprisingly fun.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 04:00 PM)

He's sweeter than the average bear.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 July 2020 - 03:14 PM)

Convert him to Maple Syrup.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 03:10 PM)

what would Canada do with Yogi?

@  Cyoti : (01 July 2020 - 12:51 PM)

We can deport Yogi back to Canada now.

@  Sabrblade : (01 July 2020 - 12:50 PM)

Jellystone National Pawk. A westful wetweat.

@  Rycochet : (01 July 2020 - 12:47 PM)

Jellystone. We're going to be plunged into a decade of poor animation. Fortunately we've been led by bad cartoon characters for years so we won't notice much difference.

@  Maximus Ambus : (01 July 2020 - 06:19 AM)

what next? YELLOWSTONE?

@  Nevermore : (01 July 2020 - 05:46 AM)

Thanks, dead person.

@  Bass X0 : (01 July 2020 - 05:06 AM)

congratulations to all survivors of the first half of 2020.

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 10:21 PM)

21 for me, but after numerous repetitions I got it down to 17 and a half.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 06:16 PM)

I transform in six steps from human to human sitting on my ass at the computer and back again!

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 June 2020 - 05:55 PM)

x-x when in vehicle mode we can travel much F A R T H E R-

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 05:52 PM)

Because despite the fact that we can travel around the world in the time it takes to get a good nights sleep and a couple of meals: people rarely wander more than 25 miles away from home for the duration of their lives.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I don't know how many days that trip takes - especially while sightseeing - but explaining they're 3936 kilometers (2445 miles) apart gives an idea, paradoxically because it is too large to easily picture.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:44 PM)

Aye.  When I catch lay people discussing miles and not how long the trip takes, it is in an attempt to stress how far away something is... like NYC to LA.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

But I can imagine 45 *minutes* easily.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

I can imagine a mile, it's a distance I've run. I can't really imagine 45 miles.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:19 PM)

I think there's also an element of the thing where things that are much bigger than us all blur together.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:49 AM)

If you're not, then you're more concerned with how long it takes.  Actual distance doesn't tell you that very well.  Besides traffic and road conditions, you'll need to know what kind of driving (city/interstate/rural/etc.).

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:47 AM)

Distance matters if you're being paid by the mile.

@  TM2-Megatron : (30 June 2020 - 11:44 AM)

Canadians are the same way, for the most part. If you're driving somewhere far, especially, it helps you plan out the day more than a distance in KM would.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:42 AM)

We use the time it takes to get someplace because that is what is relevant to us.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Because even we can't figure out miles half the time.

@  Paladin : (30 June 2020 - 09:54 AM)

it's a big country with a lot of empty space. between our citizens' ears.

@  Bass X0 : (30 June 2020 - 09:52 AM)

Why do most Americans measure distance by hours of driving?

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 07:26 PM)

And as a result the world's lone blu-ray release of the film, an Australian disc that came out 7 years ago, now goes for hundreds of dollars on eBay. Thanks Disney.

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 06:21 PM)

Well, they censored Daryl Hannah's butt in Splash :rolleyes

@  Paladin : (29 June 2020 - 05:43 PM)

maybe New Mutants is too bad even for D+.

@  Steevy Maximus : (29 June 2020 - 05:00 PM)

X-Men films are coming to Disney+ next month. But will they censor Hugh Jackman's butt?

@  -LittleAutob... : (29 June 2020 - 12:44 PM)

Pft.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 June 2020 - 11:59 AM)

Behold! Night Strike Galvatron!

@  Bass X0 : (29 June 2020 - 09:53 AM)

I will grant you a recolored body, and recolored troops to command.

@  Cybersnark : (29 June 2020 - 09:47 AM)

I don't want to be reissued. This body sucks, I wanna be updated.

@  Nevermore : (29 June 2020 - 09:43 AM)

I definitely don't intend to be reissued. Nobody would buy me.

@  Bass X0 : (29 June 2020 - 08:31 AM)

will anybody else attempt to be reissued?

@  wonko the sane? : (29 June 2020 - 07:51 AM)

*Gasp* Decepticons re-writing history to serve their own needs?!?!

@  Nevermore : (29 June 2020 - 05:48 AM)

The whole point of the DJD is that they're fanatical Megatron fanboys (especially Tarn) to the point of having their own headcanon taking priority of the actual canon, simply speaking.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 June 2020 - 04:01 AM)

They didn't know the war was over until later. And then they denied it anyway.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 June 2020 - 10:47 PM)

"He's comin' right for us!"

@  Telly : (28 June 2020 - 08:40 PM)

was that even still in effect once the war ended?

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 June 2020 - 06:51 PM)

According to Roberts, soldiers can ignore the order to spare Whirl if he's directly threatening them. But mostly the DJD were out of their heads on Nuke and not really caring much at the time.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

970 replies to this topic

#961 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34883 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:16 AM

I'm not sure I hear it in Episode II, but Episode III I definitely hear it

I saw it in theaters and again right when the DVD came out.  I probably ought to watch it again.  I didn't hate the movie, but it was a lot of movie.

#962 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 9065 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:00 PM

In that, ROTS has at least one thing in common with TROS: it had too much story to tell in a single movie.

Edited by Pale Rider, 09 April 2020 - 10:27 AM.

#963 Caldwin

Caldwin

Duality Personified

• Supporter
  • 25847 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 09 April 2020 - 05:05 AM

RotS is probably the only prequel movie I would go back and watch again. The book was better. The movie cut a lot of important things that would've made Anakin's fall seem a bit less sudden. But it had its moments and was overall much better than the other prequel movies.

I actually enjoyed TRoS. It had its problems, sure. But I think most of the problems it had stemmed from having to follow the sabotage job Rian Johnson did with Last Jedi and they were reeling just trying to work with the crap he left them. Also, considering how much Leia was supposed to be in this one, Carrie Fisher's death had to hit hard.

But over all, I really did enjoy this one. I don't think anything has yet beaten the original trilogy, but I'm sure I'll be watching this one plenty more times in the future.

PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#964 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34883 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:11 AM

But I think most of the problems it had stemmed from having to follow the sabotage job Rian Johnson did with Last Jedi and they were reeling just trying to work with the crap he left them. 

It isn't even just what he did.  It's what he didn't do.  Episode 7 ended with the First Order reeling from the loss of the Starkiller Base, the Resistance having won an important battle but now the First Order knows where they are, Rey ready to become a Jedi but needing a teacher.  Episode 8 killed off Snoke, which is a change for better or worse.  I thought that bit was actually interesting, one place where subverting expectations was kinda fun.  Especially if the plan is to reveal he was a puppet anyway.  But then you have the destruction of a ship we didn't even know about before the movie.  The First Order is basically in the same position we saw at the end of Episode 8 except without Snoke.  The end of Episode 8 left the Resistance looking pretty bleak.  As far as we could tell maybe only a dozen survivors or something.  But at the start of Episode 9 they look about how they did in 7 and lots of familiar faces and we accepted that.  So we lost Admiral Ackbar.  We lost Admiral Holdo and some ships we never knew about before 8.  As Episode 9 begins, it is as if 8 had no effect on the Resistance at all.  Ackbar doesn't appear, but the loss is not addressed in any way.  They are still a ragtag hideout with some people and small ships.  Rey ends Episode 8 as someone ready to be a Jedi and just needing a teacher.  The only change to her is that Luke is off the table.  I think that was an incorrect decision on Johnson's part, obviously.  But aside from making a snarky movie that I don't think I'll ever want to see again, I think his biggest crime is that he made the middle movie of a trilogy and the only advancement he made in the story was to take Snoke and Luke off the table.  You could split Episode 9 into two movies and throw Episode 8 out altogether and all you would have to do is work Luke and Snoke's deaths into the middle of that story and everything would end up exactly the same.

#965 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29165 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:04 PM

I'm still wondering how he could understand space battles so badly.

#966 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47843 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:25 PM

My biggest issue is the culmination of the nine movie saga sees the genetic legacy of the franchise's arch-villian taking the legacy and identity of the franchise's heroes as their own.

That is NOT how you draw the curtain on a story that has lasted for decades.

#967 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34883 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:49 PM

At some moment in some meeting it was decided that Episode 9 would be the culmination of something.  A lot of mistakes proceeded directly from that bad idea.  And as far as publicly presentation is concerned, it seems to have been a very recent idea.  After Episode 8.

It was a big enough job just to finish up a trilogy when you only had 1.1 units of story out of the first two.  But now it needed to reculminate the original trilogy that had already culminated pretty well.  That took on a lot of baggage that needed screen time.  And it also had to close the story arc on Rey and Ben, so they had to rush to a finish on that.

After Episode 8, they could have quietly stopped talking about a trilogy altogether.  Episode 9 would only need to defeat the First Order (who we didn't bother defeating in the movie we got).  And redeem Ben in some form or fashion.  They wouldn't have killed him, I don't think, if they didn't need an efficient bow tied on his story arc in a hurry.  Then the story of Episode 7-9 is that there will always be new threats in a new generation and good people will always have to get together to protect the galaxy.  And if you never make an Episode 10, that's fine.  But if you want to in 5 years you do it.

#968 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7603 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:59 PM

My biggest issue is the culmination of the nine movie saga sees the genetic legacy of the franchise's arch-villian taking the legacy and identity of the franchise's heroes as their own.
That is NOT how you draw the curtain on a story that has lasted for decades.

I don't really have strong feelings on where Rey came from and where she ended up, but -

The genetic legacy of a franchise's arch-villain taking the legacy and identity of the franchise's heroes as their own is a GREAT way to draw the curtain on a story that has lasted for decades.

Like, she's not Emperor Jr sneaking her way in to conquer the universe in disguise. She's a woman trying to find her place in the universe and choosing to be a force (no pun intended) for good, using our heroes (and hers) as inspiration.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#969 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 3064 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:08 PM

The trilogy keeps repeating this notion that Rey's heritage shouldn't define her, so it's pretty weird she'd "steal" someone else's legacy.

Plus, there's the weird implication that the saga has been this struggle between House Palpatine and House Skywalker... which isn't the case at all. Anakin and Luke's greatest foes have been their own darker sides, The Emperor's more of a personification of their sin than a direct enemy.

Plus plus, it's easy to take the cynical view and say Disney needed to secure that marketable "Skywalker" trademark after killing the family off to promote their own flagship character backfired spectacularly.

#970 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:39 AM

Ah yes the House of Skywalker, the family descended from slaves.

But what else should we expect from the man behind Batman VS Superman Dawn of Justice?

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#971 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

In whatever heinous realm that it squats...

• Citizen
  • 7021 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 12 April 2020 - 04:00 PM

There are lots of actual people descended from slaves. Just sayin'.

In need of BW Bonecrusher's missile, PM me if you have a spare.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users