Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Rhinox42 : (21 February 2020 - 01:19 PM)

Blugh, the english dub of BGC is atrocious.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I might need to update my software, or they face regional limitations, cause I found no evidence of either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 10:31 PM)

DUDE! Starcom and COPS are on Tubi too!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 09:29 PM)

Spiffy! The english dub of Bubblegum Crisis on Tubi. It's gotten so hard to find these oldies on modern streaming services.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:44 PM)

And now I know and now I know and now I know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:31 PM)

Oh, oh, people can you hear me? People can you hear me? People can you hear me?

@  Echowarrior : (20 February 2020 - 06:39 PM)

Let me go-o-o-o!

@  Telly : (20 February 2020 - 05:41 PM)

Galileo Galileo!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 05:36 PM)

Very very fright-ning me!

@  Sabrblade : (20 February 2020 - 04:02 PM)

*thunder and lightning*

@  ▲ndrusi : (20 February 2020 - 03:46 PM)

Ah, ah, ah!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 03:33 PM)

Already did. It didn't take long.

@  Dekafox : (19 February 2020 - 06:14 PM)

Count Zero?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 February 2020 - 03:53 PM)

Oh boy, here we go.

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:34 PM)

Or do Japan's cultural values vary depending on exactly who you're trying to shut down?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Could it be that, perhaps, these different cultural values might lead to a different approach seeming appropriate?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Hm. Back when we were arguing about the Legends comic, I seem to recall being repeatedly told that Japan had different cultural values than the US (and therefore anyone who had a problem with anything at all was wrong to voice that opinion ever).

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:23 AM)

Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, every single anime character is built to suit the audience's tastes so they buy more merch/do other things that allow $$$ to flow in the production committees direction, so the authenticity is certainly not for representation's sake.

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Both those anime air at midnight and are aimed at a very specific audience in a whole other media landscape. Major projects have press releases about almost everything, and there are groups just waiting to pat anybody on the back for doing what they want (GLAAD, HRC, etc)

@  B-Fox : (19 February 2020 - 03:16 AM)

It's funny that a friggin' anime about zombie idols and an anime about a school of anthropomorphic animals can have really positive trans characters WITHOUT a press release about their inclusion in the series prior to the episodes airing or having the creators announcing it on social media and patting themselves on the back for doing a thing.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2020 - 10:26 PM)

Vegan meat needs bacon

@  Paladin : (18 February 2020 - 08:43 PM)

vegan meat must taste delicious. they're grass-fed and regularly exercised....

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Vegans are better than kids if you don't talk to them. They'll keep the lawn trimmed anyway.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Do you want vegans? Because that's how you get vegans.

@  CORVUS : (18 February 2020 - 04:33 PM)

Hook up your sprinkler system to a canister of healthy organic carrot-juice. The kids won't be able to get off your lawn fast enough.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 03:59 PM)

Just use the hose.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 03:52 PM)

Ask bing. It'll be a FAR more effective answer.

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Google, how do I get those durned kids off my lawn?

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Please ignore.  Old man here apparently doesn't know the difference between the "Search" field and the "Shoutbox" field.

Also doesn't know how to delete from the shoutbox

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 07:33 AM)

Huhn. Penny arcade was right, the division 2 is literally 3 dollars...

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM)

Oh, Wicked Cool Toys got the Halo toy license. This is a big year for Jazwares

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 07:02 PM)

iTunes/Apple TV has the complete Cowboy Bebop series for just $5!

@  fourteenwings : (17 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

The Samsung Galaxy B-TOOM!

@  Paladin : (16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM)

business is booming.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2020 - 06:49 PM)

SAmsung has you covered. Exploding phones.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Modern problems require modern solutions.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Japan seems to have a tradition of murder things where cellphones facilitate the killing instead. Like King's Game and Doubt.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 05:17 PM)

Or there's just conveniently no reception, or all of their phones are dead at the same time. Or they're just stupid and forget about them.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 04:41 PM)

Now the slasher villain has to go and knock over the nearest cell tower before butchering horny teenagers.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 03:54 PM)

Think of all the horror and mystery movies that involve the bad guys cutting the phone line. Now think about how many people don't even have a land line to cut anymore.

@  Telly : (16 February 2020 - 03:47 PM)

its like that scene in commando. the bad guy has to get to a phone to call the big bad to tell him arnold isnt on the plane. that wouldnt happen today

@  Rycochet : (16 February 2020 - 03:18 PM)

Watching early episodes of the x-files will make you feel super old once you start to notice the techology they use, and the technology they lack.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 February 2020 - 01:00 PM)

This guy.

@  Roddie Luver : (15 February 2020 - 10:55 PM)

Hey

@  Kalidor : (14 February 2020 - 03:01 PM)

The ones that get me are the "Uploaded 12 years ago" ones

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 02:49 PM)

Makes you feel old, don't it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 February 2020 - 02:38 PM)

While browsing Youtube vids I read these comments: 'The X Files is such an underrated show' and another 'Brent Spiner is a underrated actor' I want to punch something.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:16 PM)

Besides: cupid freaks me out. "Find someone to love, or I'll SHOOT YOU".

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 12:11 PM)

It's just the day before Cheap Chocolate Day.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Meh, just more game time.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

883 replies to this topic

#841 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8108 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:09 PM

They could have spread the love story out too.

Without the creepy nine year old crushing on the 14 year old elected queen stuff.

Edited by Confuzor, 13 February 2020 - 06:10 PM.

#842 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34595 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:17 PM

There is nothing creepy about a 9-year-old crushing on a 14-year-old.

#843 Telly

Telly

Needs things explained to him sometimes...

• Retired Staff
  • 8378 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:54 PM

Attack of the Clones should have been Episode 1.  We could have used an entire movie between it and ROTS.

ive said that for years. only thing ep 1 accomplished was putting palpatine in power, which we didnt really need to see. he couldve started as the chancellor and over the 3 films quietly acquire more and more power until he declares himself emperor

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#844 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 39755 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:36 PM

I guess now's as good a time as any to talk about this stuff.

Padme Addresses the Senate

Oof. This scene gives me greater appreciation for the comparative gravitas of TPM's Senate scene. What happened here? There's enough missing compared to the script that I wonder if this scene was actually finished or if this was slapped together for a DVD extra. A better version of this scene could have been useful to explain what the film's early events are about.

Jedi Temple Analysis Room

Unimportant, but short and inoffensive. I'd keep it.

The Lost Twenty

This is unfinished and rough but HOLY CRAP they should have finished it and kept it. Dooku needed more explanation. Here it is.

Anakin's Nightmare

Not good, not necessary, but it was meant to be there. In a cut of the film with this scene in it, Padme doesn't just learn of Anakin's nightmares for the first time when he decides to ditch the mission and head to Tatooine. By that point she knows it's been a thing for a while and has a better idea how serious it is. This scene also introduces an otherwise unmentioned plot point that Anakin is losing his memory of Shmi.

Extended Arrival on Naboo

Not… bad? Their relationship needs help. I don't think this scene hurts.

Obi-Wan and Mace

Holy crap this one changes everything. Obi-Wan was completely aware of Anakin's feelings for Padme. More importantly, his heart is not in this. He agrees Anakin was too old to begin training and is against Anakin having this first solo assignment. So all of Anakin's whining about Obi-Wan holding him back… it's a little different when you know Anakin's actually on to something, isn't it?

Padme's Parents' House

I get why people feel this scene feels way too "normal". But it is actually the first normal home seen in Star Wars. We usually see little huts on Tatooine or lavish Coruscant apartments. It does feel weird but I don't know how fair that is. Past that, this stuff won't change anyone's minds about the romance in this movie, but Lucas at least planned on developing it more slowly than we saw in the final cut.

Padme's Bedroom

If there's any reason to keep the extra Naboo scenes, here it is. Padme's story about the aliens failing to adapt to life off their native planet is a commentary about Anakin. An intended plot thread of this movie is that Anakin is in some ways also failing to adapt to life off his home planet. This scene also rubs it in: "Home was always where my mom was." It still is. He hasn't felt home since he left Tatooine.  And with an earlier deleted scene establishing that his memory of Shmi is fading, he's losing his sense of what home is. Bottom line: Shmi's death is an even more world-shattering event than the final cut of the film makes it seem.

Dooku Interrogates Padme

I don't care what it did to the pacing. Every available scrap of Sir Christopher Lee footage should be in the movie. This scene is no exception. I just wish it were as long as the script version. Disney, if there's anything we're missing here, do something with it.

Anakin and Padme on Trial

Sir Christopher Lee's in this scene, so I'd include it. No exceptions.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#845 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8858 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 02:49 AM

Attack of the Clones should have been Episode 1.  We could have used an entire movie between it and ROTS.

ive said that for years. only thing ep 1 accomplished was putting palpatine in power, which we didnt really need to see. he couldve started as the chancellor and over the 3 films quietly acquire more and more power until he declares himself emperor

Yep.  Star Wars began in medias res back in 1977.  I see no reason why Episode 1 of the prequels couldn't have as well (although one could argue that it did, just boringly).

My head canon re-imagined version begins over Alderaan with Obi-Wan's and Darth's cruiser under attack by enemy forces and getting boarded.  Obi-Wan is captured, but Darth escapes in a fighter and heads to Tatooine to seek help from his master's old friend: Anakin Skywalker.

Edited by Pale Rider, 14 February 2020 - 03:10 AM.

#846 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 815 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:46 AM

What basically happened is that Lucas got it into his head that we needed to see a cherubic child Anakin in order to really feel his descent into darkness.

#847 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8858 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 02:16 PM

And wasted an entire movie as a result.

It's too bad Jar Jar was never revealed as a secret Sith that was just acting like a bumbling clown to ward off suspicion.  It would have paid off in much the same way as Yoda's transformation from a crazy old swamp hermit into a wise old Jedi Master did.

Edited by Pale Rider, 14 February 2020 - 02:17 PM.

#848 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34595 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:04 PM

I hadn't watched Hayden Christiansen in a long time before this.  Oy.  Is that how he talks in real life?

I guess now's as good a time as any to talk about this stuff.

Padme Addresses the Senate

Oof. This scene gives me greater appreciation for the comparative gravitas of TPM's Senate scene. What happened here? There's enough missing compared to the script that I wonder if this scene was actually finished or if this was slapped together for a DVD extra. A better version of this scene could have been useful to explain what the film's early events are about.

Jedi Temple Analysis Room

Unimportant, but short and inoffensive. I'd keep it.

The Lost Twenty

This is unfinished and rough but HOLY CRAP they should have finished it and kept it. Dooku needed more explanation. Here it is.

Anakin's Nightmare

Not good, not necessary, but it was meant to be there. In a cut of the film with this scene in it, Padme doesn't just learn of Anakin's nightmares for the first time when he decides to ditch the mission and head to Tatooine. By that point she knows it's been a thing for a while and has a better idea how serious it is. This scene also introduces an otherwise unmentioned plot point that Anakin is losing his memory of Shmi.

Extended Arrival on Naboo

Not… bad? Their relationship needs help. I don't think this scene hurts.

Obi-Wan and Mace

Holy crap this one changes everything. Obi-Wan was completely aware of Anakin's feelings for Padme. More importantly, his heart is not in this. He agrees Anakin was too old to begin training and is against Anakin having this first solo assignment. So all of Anakin's whining about Obi-Wan holding him back… it's a little different when you know Anakin's actually on to something, isn't it?

Padme's Parents' House

I get why people feel this scene feels way too "normal". But it is actually the first normal home seen in Star Wars. We usually see little huts on Tatooine or lavish Coruscant apartments. It does feel weird but I don't know how fair that is. Past that, this stuff won't change anyone's minds about the romance in this movie, but Lucas at least planned on developing it more slowly than we saw in the final cut.

Padme's Bedroom

If there's any reason to keep the extra Naboo scenes, here it is. Padme's story about the aliens failing to adapt to life off their native planet is a commentary about Anakin. An intended plot thread of this movie is that Anakin is in some ways also failing to adapt to life off his home planet. This scene also rubs it in: "Home was always where my mom was." It still is. He hasn't felt home since he left Tatooine.  And with an earlier deleted scene establishing that his memory of Shmi is fading, he's losing his sense of what home is. Bottom line: Shmi's death is an even more world-shattering event than the final cut of the film makes it seem.

Dooku Interrogates Padme

I don't care what it did to the pacing. Every available scrap of Sir Christopher Lee footage should be in the movie. This scene is no exception. I just wish it were as long as the script version. Disney, if there's anything we're missing here, do something with it.

Anakin and Padme on Trial

Sir Christopher Lee's in this scene, so I'd include it. No exceptions.

#849 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6289 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:06 PM

Yikes, what was that tongue thing about?

ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#850 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34595 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:24 PM

You don't flick your tongue when you call for order?

#851 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46955 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:30 PM

They could have spread the love story out too.

Without the creepy nine year old crushing on the 14 year old elected queen stuff.

I mean, I thought that age gap thing was weird and squicky too until I took a step back on it.

If Padme's meant to be 14 and Anakin 9...that's only a 5 year age difference between them. I know plenty of people in relationships now-a-days with far, far wider gaps than that.

As poorly handled as that relationship was, I at least am grateful everyone accepts it as genuine, hamfisted though it is. At least nobody I've seen is trying to argue that Anakin used his Force Powers to trick Padme into loving him.

Edited by Rust, 15 February 2020 - 10:32 PM.

#852 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52236 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:40 PM

The real disconnect is that they never recasting Amidala.

You go from Lloyd to Hayden while Portman stays the same.

That makes it come off worse than it actually is.

card-strongarm.jpg

#853 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10708 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 16 February 2020 - 02:07 AM

That was the least of the problems with their "relationship". Nothing Anakin did in AotC should've attracted Padme, a mature, confident and accomplished politician. He was a whiny man-baby that was constantly complaining about his job and his boss, and to top it off he commits mass murder.

It was just awful.

#854 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 66615 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:21 AM

Padme dying of heartbreak in episode 3 is also in complete contrary to her character throughout the rest of the films. Like she'd do that. I think they should have made it due to complications of childbirth. That would have been a lot more believable.

ACItEK8.png

#855 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46955 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:31 AM

There's also the fact in Return of the Jedi Leia states she has memories of her mother - and is a Princess, despite the fact her future adoptive father seemingly not being of a royal lineage.

Would have made more sense for Padme to go into hiding on Alderaan under Bail Organa's protection (Possibly even a marriage, as I don't think he was established as married pre-RotS anyway).

Edited by Rust, 16 February 2020 - 08:32 AM.

#856 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

Another Year, Another Evolution of the Dark Knight!

• Staff
  • 13963 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:27 PM

Wait, i think Bail Organa was of the Royal House of Alderaan?

fslookup.jpg

#857 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28901 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 01:11 PM

I find it hilarious that for all the things the Force is shown to do it's apparently impossible Leia has memories of Padme.

I always took it that one of Leia's Force talents was Padme imprinted on her in a way she didn't on Luke. Hence the twins are similar but different.

And if you're going to tell me that's more far fetched than teleportation powers...

#858 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34595 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 02:11 PM

Padme dying of heartbreak in episode 3 is also in complete contrary to her character throughout the rest of the films. Like she'd do that. I think they should have made it due to complications of childbirth. That would have been a lot more believable.

Or complications of what Anakin did to her. Which can actually be fixed by cutting a line of dialog.

There's also the fact in Return of the Jedi Leia states she has memories of her mother - and is a Princess, despite the fact her future adoptive father seemingly not being of a royal lineage.

Would have made more sense for Padme to go into hiding on Alderaan under Bail Organa's protection (Possibly even a marriage, as I don't think he was established as married pre-RotS anyway).

These words don't mean the same things in the Star Wars universe.  Queen, on Naboo, is an elected position in which a precocious child is put in charge of the whole planet for a term or two.  After which you are not Queen anymore and your children are not Princes and Princesses.  Leia was not born a princess.  She was adopted into the royal family of Alderaan.

Wait, i think Bail Organa was of the Royal House of Alderaan?

Well, I just looked it up and it turns out he married in.  His wife was the Queen of Alderaan.  

I find it hilarious that for all the things the Force is shown to do it's apparently impossible Leia has memories of Padme.

I always took it that one of Leia's Force talents was Padme imprinted on her in a way she didn't on Luke. Hence the twins are similar but different.

And if you're going to tell me that's more far fetched than teleportation powers...

It is so much easier to say Leia was mistaken.  Equally easy to say that her adopted mother died when she was 4.

Edited by Axaday, 17 February 2020 - 11:09 PM.

#859 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 39755 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:14 PM

The real disconnect is that they never recasting Amidala.

You go from Lloyd to Hayden while Portman stays the same.

That makes it come off worse than it actually is.

Chalk it up to aging in space being a funky thing.

That was the least of the problems with their "relationship". Nothing Anakin did in AotC should've attracted Padme, a mature, confident and accomplished politician. He was a whiny man-baby that was constantly complaining about his job and his boss, and to top it off he commits mass murder.

It was just awful.

Nothing at all? They're way more alike than they get credit for. Padme's repeatedly shown to be every bit as much of a crazy Leroy Jenkins as Anakin is. They enable each other back and forth through that whole movie. Mature, confident, and accomplished politician? Sure, but she's still kept from doing that job because every person in her whole life is more concerned for her safety than she is. Her guards are an eternal chorus of "Please no" and she does get tired of it. I think people forget because Anakin's whining has been so thoroughly memed into oblivion, but she actually starts it sometimes. When he whines back, he's speaking her language.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#860 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34595 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:02 PM

It was just awful.

I'm not gonna sit here and tell you I've seen girls fall for worse than DARTH VADER, but I have seen guys and girls fall for someone that was terrible and regret it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users