Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 03:43 AM)

8ass X÷ has hijacked this conversation.

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 03:37 AM)

Its Bass X0. I named myself after my three favourite Mega Man characters - Bass, X and Zero. I did consider going with Vile Bass X0, but that would have been going too far.

@  repowers : (11 June 2021 - 11:29 PM)

Bass XO has been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

@  Echowarrior : (11 June 2021 - 09:25 PM)

Do not taunt Bass XO.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 June 2021 - 09:02 PM)

Please consult a technician before using Bass XO. Do not operate Bass XO while consuming alcohol.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 June 2021 - 04:48 PM)

Nine out of ten doctors recommend Bass XO. The last doctor is on my list.

@  Dekafox : (11 June 2021 - 01:51 PM)

Bass XO is available at these fine retailers.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 June 2021 - 02:01 AM)

Bass XO is not to be confused with Bay Sexo.

@  Fenix Twilight : (10 June 2021 - 08:38 PM)

It's good to be back, after that outage I think I'll try to post more.

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 June 2021 - 12:16 PM)

I think Hasbro Pulse is broken. Dang Star Wars nerds!

@  tigerhawk : (10 June 2021 - 04:46 AM)

When I googled 'space bridge' I was disappointed. Maybe in a hundred years.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 June 2021 - 04:05 PM)

Bass XO is backward compatible with the Sega Master System.

@  Donocropolis : (09 June 2021 - 05:37 AM)

Bass XO has 9" long, dagger-like teeth and a 12,000 lb. bite force

@  repowers : (08 June 2021 - 07:26 PM)

Bass XO doesn't feel pain. He can't be reasoned with!

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 June 2021 - 02:57 PM)

Bass XO has no known weaknesses.

@  Nevermore : (08 June 2021 - 06:15 AM)

Base XO is definitely unstoppable.

@  Donocropolis : (07 June 2021 - 04:30 PM)

What about magnets? No one knows how they work or what they can do.

@  Bass X0 : (07 June 2021 - 02:22 PM)

Yes Cybershark, and now no force in the universe can stop us.

@  Cybersnark : (07 June 2021 - 10:03 AM)

Aaaan we're back!

@  Telly : (06 June 2021 - 09:07 PM)

its alive! AAAALIIIIIIVEEEEEE! *maniacal laugh*

@  repowers : (06 June 2021 - 02:18 PM)

WHAT!!! ALLSPARK!!! you IN LIVE!!!!!!

@  Donocropolis : (06 June 2021 - 01:53 PM)

Indeed. I was missing it.

@  Shockwave 75 : (06 June 2021 - 11:35 AM)

So glad the boards are back!

@  Echowarrior : (06 June 2021 - 07:45 AM)

It's alive! Alive!

@  wonko the sane? : (05 June 2021 - 08:32 PM)

Aw man, I missed this place...

@  Sabrblade : (05 June 2021 - 08:31 PM)

Now here in Manhattan, the spell is broken! And we live again!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (05 June 2021 - 08:16 PM)

Groovy.

@  Kaon : (05 June 2021 - 07:23 PM)

How is everyone

@  Kaon : (05 June 2021 - 06:42 PM)

test

@  tigerhawk : (24 May 2021 - 07:42 AM)

I'm making progress with tweezers. It's no great loss given Dai Atlas minor roles anyway, I really do prefer this mold for Titans Overlord and Sky Shadow,

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2021 - 09:57 PM)

Had that happen once. Drilled a 1 mmhole in the peg and superglued a rivet into it for something to pull on.

@  tigerhawk : (22 May 2021 - 09:44 PM)

pliers, superglue, heat, nothing has worked so far but I had to take yesterday off due to pfizer side effects.

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2021 - 07:04 AM)

is there enough plastic sticking out to yank it out with pliers?

@  tigerhawk : (21 May 2021 - 01:05 PM)

Oh great my Legends Dai Atlas fell and the gun snapped in two, the handle is stuck in the port on top of the vehicle mode.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2021 - 04:14 AM)

Also, our compound terms are legendary among foreigners, because we throw them together as a single word, with no spaces and usually without hyphens too.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2021 - 04:12 AM)

You can have straightforward sentences that are a literal word-replace translation of stuff like "I go to school", but once you throw in perfect tense and prepositions, you end up with insane constructions where the main verb is at the very end of a very long sentence, so you have to listen to the whole sentence until you have any clue what is going on.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2021 - 04:10 AM)

And I stand by that. German sentence structure can be utterly insane.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2021 - 04:10 AM)

Fun fact: When I was teaching German kids English, I kept telling them that English grammar and especially sentence structure is more logical than German.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 01:17 AM)

e.g. Lion-Eating Poet in the Stone Den was by a Chinese guy pointing out the weirdness in his own language, rather than the frustrations of somebody learning Chinese as their second. So English isn't the only case where native speakers might enocunter funky issues.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 May 2021 - 01:17 AM)

Then I shall concede, and retire.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 01:14 AM)

I'm not sure if that's even all that unique to English.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 May 2021 - 01:07 AM)

Which is why I specified those comparing learning it to learning other languages as a second language.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 01:04 AM)

And I don't think "ancedotal frustration" means much, considering that every language has complaints from people trying to learn it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 01:03 AM)

The fact that these stand out certainly makes Japanese "not a smoothie". And it's only consistent within more recent loanwords. Older ones stick out in a different way.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 May 2021 - 01:00 AM)

Even writing them generally in katakana is a consistent treatment, and gives someone learning the language a general expected approach. I'd say the anecdotal frustration with English by those learning it compared to learning other languages as a second language is a demonstration that this sort of consistency and organization was not a valued thing in the past few centuries of the language's development.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 12:28 AM)

Frankly, it just sounds like you think other languages seem a certain way because you don't look into them all that much.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 12:28 AM)

It's pretty pervasive in Japanese as well, with how these feature into everyday speech.. And I don't know what you even mean by "deep", since writing them in a particular character set basically calls attention to not just their derivative nature, but their relative recency as well.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 May 2021 - 12:25 AM)

Indeed, every language has those artifacts if you examine deeply enough, but in English they're not deep, and they're pervasive.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 May 2021 - 11:56 PM)

like Japanese using three different script types together, and more recent word borrowings tend to be in katakana.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 May 2021 - 11:51 PM)

I don't know what you mean by "cohesively". Borrowings are probably obvious if you know what to look for.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

970 replies to this topic

#301 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 14205 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:34 AM

Next saga: NO GURLZ

We already had two of those.

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#302 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 35497 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:38 AM

As I've said earlier in the thread, this was always meant to be Snoke's hook - as either a failed clone or some kind of meat puppet, controlled by the obvious and mentioned, but seemingly unimportant Black Kyber Crystal Ring he wears.

Again, this is Disney - not Lucas. They aren't going to spend millions of dollars after spending billions for the franchise just to wing the story. That's not to say they are telling the story well, but I have no doubt that the major beats of the narrative have been planned out in advance.

I take you at your word that you have previously made the same speculation.  I haven't paid close attention to this thread.  But it sounds like you are citing yourself as evidence for your point?

My read on the things I have seen with Disney Star Wars is that they thought Star War would be easier than it has been.  They changed Rogue One entirely in reshoots.  They fired the director of Solo who was making a slapstick movie and brought in another director to pick up the pieces.  They fired the director of Episode 9, I think before shooting, because they could see that it was being mishandled and asked JJ to come back after he had let the whole thing go.  Yes, you'd THINK they would've planned this trilogy out, but aside from what one would think I have seen no evidence of it.  There was a stark tonal difference between 7 and 8 and we know about at least one place where Rian Johnson asked JJ to change something in 7 to better fit with what he wanted to do.  Numerous plot questions were started by 7 that were totally ignored in 8.  The trilogy isn't over, sure, but that's an odd pattern for a planned trilogy to not develop so much of that material and instead create more questions.  Again, I've seen no definitive answer to the question either way, but every appearance to me was that Abrams made 7 to be familiar but also an open jumping off point and then handed it to Rian Johnson and his writers who decided which way he wanted to go with things.  I think Kennedy and Disney approved of what he did, but I don't think it was just fleshing out part 2 of a planned trilogy.  Look at Rian Johnson's answer when he was asked if Rey's parents were really nobodies?  (This is one of the controversial parts of 8 where I agree with Johnson)  He gave a measured response that it was his own intent in his movie that Ben was telling her the truth, but that he wasn't in charge of what comes next.  There's room for JJ to change that.  That's not what you say when you know the answer and need to be coy to avoid spoilers.  He actually said that if it turns out different from what was said in his movie, then someone changed it.

Edited by Axaday, 22 October 2019 - 08:41 AM.

#303 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49637 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:41 AM

Again, this is Dinsey - not Lucas. They aren't going to spend millions of dollars after spending billions for the franchise just to wing the story. That's not to say they are telling the story well, but I have no doubt that the major beats of the narrative have been planned out in advance.

At this point, I would say they are winging it, they know they screwed up badly with the Last Jedi, even if they will not publically admit it.

Hence why Episode IX has a 45% increase in pre-order ticket sales over Avengers: Endgame

Truly, The Last Jedi did so much damage to the franchise.

Edited by Rust, 22 October 2019 - 08:41 AM.

#304 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Administrator
  • 41262 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:45 AM

Personally, I like this trailer. It doesn't tell us much, but then again that is probably for the best.

I am wondering where those Imperial 1 Star Destroyers are merging from? It looks like they are breaking through ground, and with people riding horses on them, makes me think they are breaking free somewhere. Can't be on Endor with the death star 2 wreckage, so where could it be?

Welp pack it in folks.  Supermegaprime has spoken.

Ironbite-maybe Disney can reboot the series in like 20 years or so and finally get his seal of approval.

Next saga: NO GURLZ

Be nice guys.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#305 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 35497 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:57 AM

Personally, I like this trailer. It doesn't tell us much, but then again that is probably for the best.

I am wondering where those Imperial 1 Star Destroyers are merging from? It looks like they are breaking through ground, and with people riding horses on them, makes me think they are breaking free somewhere. Can't be on Endor with the death star 2 wreckage, so where could it be?

I thought it was water last night, but I just watched again and it DOES look more like dirt.  They could be anywhere, of course.  But what occurs to me just now is that this might not be Palpatine's Star Destroyer.  The Resistance may have repaired one on Jakku, right?

The big pieces of the Death Star would've fallen on the forest moon, right?  Will ewoks make an appearance?

I feel strange about the inclusion of the quick shot of Rey and Ben destroying a statue or somesuch together.  There's a broad feeling that Ben will probably turn good, but to actually show us that they'll be teamed up for part of the movie is a big revelation.

#306 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49637 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:02 AM

That's also the only part of the trailer we see Ben wearing his mask. Makes me wonder if that is Ben, or if it's some mental landscape. Just going by Rey's dialogue and the previous glimpse of "Sith Rey" (And the fact per TLJ, she instinctively reaches for the Dark Side when reaching for the Force, per Luke), Palps has to be looking to turn her to the Dark Side.

Edited by Rust, 22 October 2019 - 09:02 AM.

#307 The Predaking

The Predaking

• Administrator
  • 41262 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:51 AM

I thought it was water last night, but I just watched again and it DOES look more like dirt.  They could be anywhere, of course.  But what occurs to me just now is that this might not be Palpatine's Star Destroyer.  The Resistance may have repaired one on Jakku, right?

The big pieces of the Death Star would've fallen on the forest moon, right?  Will ewoks make an appearance?

I feel strange about the inclusion of the quick shot of Rey and Ben destroying a statue or somesuch together.  There's a broad feeling that Ben will probably turn good, but to actually show us that they'll be teamed up for part of the movie is a big revelation.

The only thing is that those are the Imperial 1 Star Destroyers that we saw in the last trailer. So, there has to be hundreds of them buried somewhere. I don't think that the resistance has them either.

Also, from the shot of Ray and Kylo, they are facing each other, so I am betting that the mask just gets destroyed while Ray and Kylo are fighting on his personal Resurgence class Star Destroyer.

#308 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 7142 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:24 AM

I was thinking ice. Looked like a big space iceberg in another scene.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#309 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5674 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:35 AM

Again, this is Dinsey - not Lucas. They aren't going to spend millions of dollars after spending billions for the franchise just to wing the story. That's not to say they are telling the story well, but I have no doubt that the major beats of the narrative have been planned out in advance.

At this point, I would say they are winging it, they know they screwed up badly with the Last Jedi, even if they will not publically admit it.

Hence why Episode IX has a 45% increase in pre-order ticket sales over Avengers: Endgame

I don't understand why people do this for ANY movie.  It's like preordering a game with digital distribution.

#310 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49637 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:51 AM

Currently have disposable income to purchase goods and services to be delivered at a later date NOW, so that you don't have to worry about setting aside disposable income five days before the nation's largest, agreed upon consumer holiday.

#311 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 35497 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:21 PM

Where I live I can be pretty sure I can get into any movie opening night.  Getting there early for Star Wars is a good idea so I won't have to sit in one of those side sections.  But in a lot of places there will be totally sold out showings for a few days by the time the movie comes out.

#312 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 69010 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:27 PM

I like to be able to choose my seats.  The theater I go to only has 7 theaters, and each theater is luxury seating.  So there isn't a lot of seats and the good ones go quick.

ACItEK8.png

#313 The Predaking

The Predaking

• Administrator
  • 41262 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:33 PM

Yeah, the reserved seating theaters, I can see per-ordering tickets.

I am just thinking that I might go see it with the family. Have to see what everyone's schedule is like.

Edited by The Predaking, 22 October 2019 - 12:34 PM.

#314 Daith

Daith

Is this the Way?...

• Supporter
  • 10059 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:29 PM

As far as the shot with Kylie and Rey destroying the statue did anyone else notice Rey has some sort of dagger in her other hand? That and Kylo doesnt seem to be actually hitting the statue himself.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#315 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6394 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:31 PM

Yup, ever since Cinemark went to fewer seats with assigned numbers, it's been a good idea to prebuy for any blockbuster opening nights. The extra charge is a pain, but getting there and not being able to get decent seats together would be worse.
ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#316 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14668 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:39 PM

I mean, I like "Last Jedi" but if you want to get specific Atom Tickets coverage has grown about 44% this year. They went from 46% to nearly 90% this year.

Yep.

#317 tec

tec

Suit up

• Supporter
  • 33901 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:57 PM

Im not sold on the trailer after thinking about for a bit the second trailer was way better

The horse thing bugs me all the fantastical beast like the Taun-Taun, have a Calvary of all weather Taun-Tauns or something ugh thats just lazy and its not a cool shot

My biggest grip with the series so far is attachment to theses new characters I don't care about them to worry about there safety.

The OG crew hell yeah I care about them each death has an impact on me it hurts to see them go...Because I care about them because I know them the og Trilogy had a way of showing who each characters are and why they matter as a whole though all three films

Finn's the closest to being a real character in the new set but Poe and Ray pfft

I will see it Ill finish the fight but the more I think about this series so far the new trilogy has left me wanting more something better

Edited by tec, 22 October 2019 - 02:34 PM.

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#318 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 3610 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:07 PM

I mean, I like "Last Jedi" but if you want to get specific Atom Tickets coverage has grown about 44% this year. They went from 46% to nearly 90% this year.

Solo: A Star Wars Story Is Breaking Pre-Sale Records
"Solo's pre-ticket sales are already double that of Black Panther."

#319 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 35497 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:33 PM

Im not sold on the trailer after thinking about for a bit the second trailer was way better

The horse thing bugs me all the fantastical beast like the Taun-Taun, have a Calvary of all weather Taun-Tauns or something ugh thats just lazy and its not a cool shot

My biggest grip with the series so for is attachment to theses new characters I don't care about them to worry about there safety.

The OG crew hell yeah I care about them each death has an impact on me it hurts to see them go...Because I care about them because I know them the og Trilogy had a way of showing who each characters are and why they matter as a whole though all three films

Finn's the closest to being a real character in the new set but Poe and Ray pfft

I will see it Ill finish the fight but the more I think about this series so far the new trilogy has left me wanting more something better

I think you need to give room for the fact that the original trilogy cast has been marinating in your mind since you were a kid.

#320 tec

tec

Suit up

• Supporter
  • 33901 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:43 PM

Maybe..

But as a kid how do you like movie at age 4/5? there is still something likeable about the characters that hook you and as far as I know the OG trilogy has aged fairly well so there still something there thats not in the new trilogy its missing and thats in the characters because I still like Han Leia and Chewy

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users