Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 03:27 PM)

1) I don't have Target. 2) can't go into my walmart. I'm surprised Hasbro won't sell the toys on Pulse

@  Bass X0 : (24 January 2020 - 02:43 PM)

I dreamt my phone was ringing and woke up to answer it.

@  Sabrblade : (24 January 2020 - 02:05 PM)

The Lightning Collection figures, the smaller normal-sized Beast Morphers Ranger/enemy/Beast-Bot figures, the role-play morpher and weapon toys, and the simplistic non-combining megazord toys have all been very easy to find at various Targets and Walmarts. It's only been the actual combining Beast Morphers zord toys (which are bizarrely being sold individually this time) that have been hard to find in stores.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 01:49 PM)

Thought I do question Hasbro's almost reluctance to have the toys available anywhere.

@  Paladin : (24 January 2020 - 01:44 PM)

i've been trying to sell mine for weeks...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 01:37 PM)

I hadn't opened mine yet, but from what I've seen, the general agreement is that the Beast Morpher zords are much better than Bandais.

@  ThunderWear : (24 January 2020 - 11:16 AM)

I'm guessing if they're going to do anything on the level of Legacy Zords, it's being discussed behind NDAs at Toy Fair

@  Rodimus Supreme : (24 January 2020 - 10:38 AM)

Lightning Collection is good, and they're taking their sweet time on making Zords that are better than Bandai's Zords.

@  ThunderWear : (24 January 2020 - 10:34 AM)

So, what's the general PR fandom consensus of the Hasbro run of PR so far? I pretty much stepped out of the community after I got the Bandai Legacy zords I wanted.

@  Paladin : (24 January 2020 - 08:46 AM)

that would require someone to BUY Hasbro PR toys...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 07:17 AM)

Well hopefully see some cool PR stuff. Wish BBTS sold Hasbro PR toys.

@  fourteenwings : (24 January 2020 - 07:01 AM)

February 22nd through 25th, I feel like it was earlier last year...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 06:32 AM)

When is NY TF?

@  fourteenwings : (23 January 2020 - 11:43 PM)

I don't know about Hasbro's general policy but I know everybody was on lockdown for Frozen II, which included both LEGO and Hasbro. Plus, I'm guessing everybody is holding off PR for NY Toy Fair? Overall, it's best to remember that Toy Fairs are for buyers, not fans.

@  fourteenwings : (23 January 2020 - 11:41 PM)

LEGO has been doing this for ages, including sending cease and desists when outlets get leaked images.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 10:42 PM)

And then they ended up selling off the brand, so I guess I wasn't the only one.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 10:41 PM)

Last time a toy brand I followed tightened down on toy fair and all the invited guests posted glowing reviews of what they saw, I ended up being disappointed as heck.

@  Steevy Maximus : (23 January 2020 - 10:34 PM)

JediNews UK basically said they got a walkthrough of Lego's showcase...but were legally bound to NOT talk about anything, much less take pics.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 10:24 PM)

I wondered why I had seen basically nothing newsworthy from the event

@  Steevy Maximus : (23 January 2020 - 10:14 PM)

Word is that Hasbro and Lego have their UK Toy Fair stuff on MAJOR lockdown. Full NDAs and everything.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 09:28 PM)

Seeing people say the $0.99 + $20 shipping item is cheaper than the $19.99 + free shipping item and getting tons of likes for it... I just don't know anymore.

@  Telly : (23 January 2020 - 09:11 PM)

if you havent already, y'all check your walmarts clearance aisle. i found siege six shot for $5. course, it could just be my walmart, but never hurts to look

@  Vexwing : (23 January 2020 - 07:20 PM)

Candlejack is going to need more ro

@  Patch : (23 January 2020 - 06:30 PM)

I thought you had to type out Candlejack's full name bef

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 January 2020 - 02:46 PM)

I typed in the wrong tab.

@  Paladin : (23 January 2020 - 02:32 PM)

must've been the works of Candleja

@  Telly : (23 January 2020 - 02:06 PM)

looks like maximus wiped himself out mid-sentence

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 January 2020 - 08:42 AM)

Disregard this.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 January 2020 - 06:58 PM)

Bold of you all to assume we won't wipe ourselves out in 50 years.

@  Benbot : (22 January 2020 - 04:27 PM)

There will be no UBI, people will just live in a ditch while they celebrate owning the libs.

@  Rycochet : (22 January 2020 - 03:24 PM)

In 50 years, retail will be dead because all stores are staffless fully automated operations controlled by Amazon. The UBI will be less than a fifth of what it actually costs to live after two decades of cuts and.a steadfast refusal to match inflation.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 January 2020 - 02:55 PM)

In fifty years retail will be a thing of the past through robots, printers and Universal Basic Income.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (21 January 2020 - 11:16 AM)

Big retailers just don't want money anymore, so let's not give them any,

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 04:12 PM)

This place is a madhouse, feels like being cloned.

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 January 2020 - 03:38 PM)

I took one step beyond the outer limits to the twilight zone.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 10:19 AM)

All retail is basically the same.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 January 2020 - 10:00 AM)

Walmart just needs to go bankrupt already.

@  ThunderWear : (20 January 2020 - 07:19 AM)

They didn't put the 35th anniversary stuff back out until after new year. I'm no retail expert, but I feel like having stock on the shelf is better than the back. Especially toys at christmas time.

@  ThunderWear : (20 January 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Yeah, my local walmart took away the 35th anniversary endcap weeks before Christmas and left the Transformer section empty well past Christmas.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 04:44 AM)

Mine only has the 35th Anniversary Voyagers. A whole lot of them.

@  Telly : (19 January 2020 - 11:35 PM)

just be happy your walmart even stocks voyagers. mine doesnt

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 January 2020 - 08:53 PM)

Figures that Walmart finally restocks Studio Voyagers...with Wave ONE

@  ThunderWear : (19 January 2020 - 09:27 AM)

I snagged Rainmakers for half off.  They make me want jolly ranchers.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 04:21 PM)

I was using my account on another comptuer, and oddly it seemed to default to $US rather than converting it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 January 2020 - 02:02 PM)

You should be able to set eBay to display in your local currency, although personally I like to know the actual currency the item is listed in so I know if I need to account for forex fees or not

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:34 AM)

I'd also like to take the opportunity to say I despise Ebay for showing the list prices in US money.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:23 AM)

Well there is an overpriced limited edition, but I don't want to pay that much money for it.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:21 AM)

Well great. The one Usagi Yojimbo volume I don't have and it's out of stock.

@  Rycochet : (17 January 2020 - 06:15 PM)

I both love and hate that the Alien franchise seems to have had more luck finding a niche as a line of children's toys than it has at producing worthwhile films.

@  Donocropolis : (17 January 2020 - 06:35 AM)

I've seen them on the shelves at Walmart. They're pretty great looking retro Aliens toys. https://www.walmart....-Vary/934039489

Photo

Darkhold: Pages from the Book of Sins collection?!

9 replies to this topic

#1 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7351 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:43 AM

Really shocked to see an upcoming collection of what was I think the fastest-axed Midnight Sons book?

https://www.amazon.c...ywords=Darkhold

https://www.comixolo...TGlzdC9zZXJpZXM

I loved the whole line but this book was the one that really stuck with me.

This is a collection, I suppose, that will suffer greatly from being involved in a bunch of crossovers that the trade has to live without, so there's at least a couple of issues here that will make bugger all sense without the Ghost Rider/Spirits Of Vengeance/etc issues around them. But even so, if you said to me "what comic runs would you like to see collected if you were king of the world", this would be in the top three.

Though I don't know how accurate this is, word on the street back then was that the sales declined after they revealed that the lead was a lesbian. Probably in 2018 we can cope with that.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#2 Telly

Telly

Like a tiny sandwich...

• Retired Staff
  • 8308 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:47 AM

i dont remember hearing anything about sales going down for that reason, but that of course means nothing. i did pick up the main book, but remember it just...wasnt very good, not to me anyway. i dont think i got more than a handful of issues. i even tried nightstalkers, but was meh to it as well. i DO remember really liking dcs house of secrets though. but it didnt last long either. and i was a big ghost rider fan (loved mark texerias art on it. was so sad when he left). i dont think mystical titles were selling very good in general aside from ghost rider and sandman related books. 

disclaimer: like i said, my memory has gotten worse as i get older, and stuff like darkhold wasnt in my field of interest,  so take everything i said with a dose of salt. and we didnt have much at this time aside from a couple magazines like wizard for news back then either, so news like that couldve easily been missed. though if it were a big enough deal, youd think wizard wouldve mentioned it but i dont remember them doing so

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#3 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7351 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 05:55 PM

Nighstalkers was easily the... least good book in the line, I think. I suspect my enjoyment of it suffered from not really knowing anything about these Tomb of Dracula characters. (Except that they were ToD characters, which was an Exciting Event for the industry, kind of the equivalent of Rom coming back - this beloved book that hadn't been seen in many years). 

Of course, to those who HAD read ToD, as I now have, Nighstalkers was, I think, basically terribly offensive and a really unworthy followup to one of the most beloved books of all time. 

Midnight Sons just came at the perfect time for me I think. I was a freshly-minted Angsty Teen, these Cool Horror Books were just so right for where I was at. All those crossovers with black covers... swoon. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#4 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8828 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:14 AM

The first issue of Darkhold, with the worm guy, was the most disturbing out of the Rise of the Midnight Sons books. It didn't have the best art but it was true horror.

For the collection, well, if it just ends with the final issue at ... #16, at the Siege of Darkness crossover, then it would be a shame not to include how Victoria Montessi's pregnancy got resolved.

I bought the final issue of Doctor Strange (#90, I think) just to see how it was dealt but even then, Victoria was still forever pregnant. I wasn't able to follow up how Cthon was finally removed.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#5 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3794 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:48 AM

wasn't midnight sons when they put Dr. Strange back under the mask he wore briefly in the...70's I think?

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#6 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8828 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:22 AM

Not during the Rise the Midnight Sons but in the middle of Siege of Darkness.  And it wasn't Dr. Strange but ... no spoiling... someone named Strange.  It's like Reign of the Supermen.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#7 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7351 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:13 PM

In addition to Darkhold 1-6, the collection also includes "Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme #90 And Material From Midnight Sons Unlimited #1-2 And Marvel Comics Presents (1988) #145."

http://marvunapp.com...ndix/monvic.htm

(Dr. Strange III#89, 90) - Chthon sent the Midwife to Earth. She made her way into the Tempo Building and freed Victoria from the stasis box, allowing her pregnancy to rapidly progress into labor. Strange sensed this and entered Chthon's realm in an effort to drive him back. Chthon easily overpowered Strange and forced him back to Earth, but not before  Strange could drive a wedge of his own greates power into Chthon. As the labor progressed on Earth, Strange tapped into Victoria's spirit, her inner "goodness", and used it to magnify the wedge within Chthon. The force of this magic was great enough that Chthon would risk his own life by coming to Earth. As a result, the labor (and apparently the pregnancy(?)) was terminated.

(Midnight Sons Unlimited#1/2) - Vicki, Sam, and Louise encountered Mercy, a criminal using another page of the Darkhold.

(Midnight Sons Unlimited#2/2) - Vicki, Sam, and Louise encountered Frank West who had utilized a Darkhold spell and became a victim of the Troids.

(Marvel Comics Presents#145/4, 146/3) - Shortly after this, Victoria at last learned her own true nature, as the spawn of Chthon, now pregnant with him (magic, ya know?) and preparing to deliver the demon into the mortal plane. These events pulled her away from Buchanon, and the Redeemers dissolved permanently.

The N'Garai attempted to abduct Vicki to the realm of Chthon, but she was saved by Dr. Strange.

And anyone who's a Vicki Montesi fan also needs to pick up the recent Carnage series. Such a bizarre place for her to resurface, but some good stuff.  

WsuGTl1.jpg

#8 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8828 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:01 AM

From my understanding of doc strange 90, Midwife ending up helping Strange and Montessi because her purpose was to do no harm. And, er, something like the, um, exit (which was, er, Victoria's um, thing) was something made of 'good' so Chthon, being a creature of evil, couldn't pass through it or be delivered without him being changed. So he retreated back inside.

I thought Montessi was still pregnant then. I didn't know that Chthon left her permanently after.

What happened to Montessi in Carnage?

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#9 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22355 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 30 August 2018 - 05:52 AM

Maybe they're actually gonna do something with the Darkhold Redeemers?

I mean, they already used it in the MCU in Agents of SHIELD. Maybe a new Midnight Sons book?

I still have a number of early Midnight Sons books, mostly the ones with the Darkhold envelope covers that had a crossover that involved Blade going nuts getting one of the pages and turned into a Demigorge and killed Blaze, Morbius and Danny Ketch.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#10 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7351 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 05:41 PM

What happened to Montessi in Carnage?

Carnage gets the book, and Vicki's part of a team of dudes who are chasing him.

WsuGTl1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users