Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 July 2020 - 08:03 AM)

And he's a big ball, but he's not the biggest ball of them all. (That'll be Pulse Unicron.)

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 07:37 AM)

Trypticon so scared my Primus figure he turned into a ball.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 July 2020 - 09:56 PM)

King Nine, however, will not return.

@  Bass X0 : (09 July 2020 - 05:05 PM)

Bass_X0 will return after these messages ^^^

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 July 2020 - 03:37 PM)

WHATAMIFIGHTINGFOOOOOOOOARRGH

@  -LittleAutob... : (09 July 2020 - 02:06 PM)

Okay?

@  Otaku : (09 July 2020 - 07:47 AM)

@TheMightyMollusk Ah, but the series itself has pronounced "Bass" both ways. ;)  Oh, 90s English Capcom video game voice acting...

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 July 2020 - 03:14 AM)

Looking at my Titan Returns collection I can see they realised they didn't have to paint the Titan Masters after wave one, lazy bums.

@  Maruten : (08 July 2020 - 09:13 PM)

No, I'm going with "fish".

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 July 2020 - 04:19 PM)

He stated that it's in reference to the Mega Man character, so it follows the series' tradition of music names.

@  Cybersnark : (08 July 2020 - 03:59 PM)

The real question is if it's "bass" as in music or "bass" as in the fish.

@  Otaku : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Well, at least now I know how to pronounce @Bass X0 's screen name. ^^'  Rather, I think I'd just forgotten.  In my defense, it really does look like an emoticon or maybe just "decoration", which is what a lot of folks add to their screen names online.  Usually because someone has the name they really want. XD

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Extremely unimpressed with your idea that someone making a negative observation you don't like means they "got triggered."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (08 July 2020 - 11:16 AM)

You know somebody asked "And this would be in relation to... what exactly?"

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Its because someone got triggered over my random musings instead of just ignoring them. If I read one of your comments that is of no relevance or interest to me, I don't feel the need to say so.

@  -LittleAutob... : (08 July 2020 - 10:56 AM)

All this over someone's username lol

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 08:34 AM)

Bazro.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (08 July 2020 - 06:34 AM)

It could be Bass 10-0

@  Nevermore : (08 July 2020 - 06:11 AM)

How do you pronounce yourself? "Bass Ex-O" or "Bass Ex-Zero"?

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 03:23 AM)

I did almost go with Vile Bass X0, because Vile is cool too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 July 2020 - 08:34 PM)

Bossk Saw

@  ▲ndrusi : (07 July 2020 - 04:16 PM)

Bass XD

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 03:43 PM)

And its not Bass XO, its Bass X0, as in Bass, X and Zero from the Mega Man series.

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:33 PM)

@Trpodeca :( :(

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Thats what a gray rock is? Then I'm not one.

@  Trpodeca : (07 July 2020 - 02:12 PM)

Man I just learnt about what seemed like a really cool show, only to realize it was a dream and it dosen't really exist.

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 01:02 PM)

Just something I read that I wanted to share. I heard "gray rock" mentioned in a video, so I looked it up and that was the definition.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 July 2020 - 12:20 PM)

It's a fancy way of saying "Ignore annoying people".

@  NotVeryKnightly : (07 July 2020 - 12:15 PM)

Bass XO has a habit of pasting random drivel here as if doing so were profound.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 July 2020 - 11:30 AM)

And this would be in relation to... what exactly?

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 11:25 AM)

"One strategy for dealing with a narcissist or sociopath is to act like a "gray rock," meaning that you become uninteresting and unresponsive. You don't feed their needs for drama or attention. You don't show emotion, say anything interesting, or disclose any personal information"

@  Nevermore : (06 July 2020 - 07:23 PM)

Oh wow. Studio Series Offroad Bumblebee is awesome. His articulation is amazing.

@  -LittleAutob... : (06 July 2020 - 11:18 AM)

Oof-

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 July 2020 - 01:10 AM)

I got Studio Series 39 Cogman yesterday and woke up to find he'd decapitated my titans returns figures.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 July 2020 - 10:19 PM)

If I had a sarcasm powered mouth.. ooohh waaaiiittt...

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 05:01 PM)

Heh

@  Bass X0 : (04 July 2020 - 02:56 PM)

"If I had sarcasm-powered legs, I'd do a happy dance...!"

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 July 2020 - 02:39 PM)

The real clones were the friends we made along the way.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 01:47 PM)

So the Emperor in episodes 1 through 6 was a clone?

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:47 AM)

(And the 0th anniversary of the last time I couldn't do math.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Today is the 24th anniversary of the day we fought off an alien invasion with the help of Will Smith.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 10:41 AM)

Oh the end of the Ottoman Empire of course.

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 10:14 AM)

*ahem* 4th of July....

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 08:14 AM)

Nothing of importance has happened before, and nothing of importance will happen again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 08:12 AM)

Nothing of importance happened today.

@  Telly : (03 July 2020 - 09:54 PM)

i want a "i survived 'rona and all i got was this lousy t-shirt"

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 July 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Slogan for 2021: "I Lived, Bitch."

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

They should make the next book in the Survivors series 'I SURVIVED CORONA VIRUS 2020'

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

YEEEE I'M A SURVIVOR-

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:59 AM)

Probably gonna assemble Devastator after work.

Photo

Any problems with Comixology?

16 replies to this topic

#1 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29173 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:49 AM

So I decided I'd like to be able to easily dip into and support modern comic releases. Trekking out to the local comic shop is a bit of a chore and I don't really have space to store books anyway so e-book releases seems the way forward, with Comixology being the one I hear the most about.

Thing is I've also heard it has some controversy around it. Anything I should be aware of before I sign up and hand over money?

#2 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18693 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:18 AM

I haven't had any issues (no pun intended) with it. But then, I also haven't bought a ton of comics through it, either.

Now, it is owned by Amazon and some might see that as kinda problematic in and of itself, but the controversies I can find seem pretty unremarkable. Not that I agree with their choices, but it seems like the kind of stuff one would expect from a major distributor of comics.  Controversial bans, conflicting business interests, the usual.

The Android app has a good navigation system and seems pretty user friendly overall, so that's good. I definitely feel like it's the better option when it comes to on-the-go comic viewing.

All that said, it is a digital distribution platform and those have their own, unique potential issues.  Like the possibility of a digital book being removed from your device without your consent.  Buy a physical book and it's yours, period.  Amazon can't retroactively decide you aren't allowed to have it.

But, if you're not to worried about that, then, yeah, Comixology seems like a pretty solid thing.

nzo8WYb.png

#3 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 17332 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 August 2018 - 10:07 AM

For a while, when I had no reliable comic shop, I used it more.  These days, I tend to stick to the "Digital First" directory, stuff I might not be able to get at all in print.  But I haven't gotten much from that category either.  I might use it a little more except for the "iOS version can't buy stuff because running through both the Apple Store and ComiXology reduces the publisher's cut too much" issue.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#4 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7616 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 07:24 PM

I've been using it extensively for many years and couldn't be happier, I've never had a single problem.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#5 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18839 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 05:34 AM

Yeah, it's been great for me. I've even rebought stuff I got from Humble Bundle because the ComiXology reading experience on mobile (where I do my reading) is just so much better.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#6 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7616 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:20 AM

Likewise!

Just a few years ago I couldn't imagine going fully digital and giving up the tactile joy of floppies, but now I can't imagine going back to paper.

Cheaper, more convenient - no travelling, no finding space for boxes. Setting myself free from the endless piles of physical books has been incredibly healthy for me.

And most publishers lets you download PDF backups so even if this all implodes, you may not lose much. Unless you only buy Marvel and DC.

(Not that a PDF is much fun compared to the wonders of Guided View.)

WsuGTl1.jpg

#7 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 8171 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:59 AM

Same here. I made the switch to digital just a few years ago, and I’ve never looked back.

Only problem with Comixology is the same one shared by all digital media; the feeling (unfounded or not) that you don’t own your possessions as much as you’re just renting them from someone for as long as (a) they exist, and (b) they allow you to.

With Amazon behind Comixology, I have no fear of that first one. The second one, YMMV, but I thnk the benefits outweigh the risk.

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/
And a fic thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/169332-do-no-harm-first-aid/

#8 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1852 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:49 AM

I really dislike the renting vs. owning aspect of digital comics, and I prefer having a physical book. Having said that, after way too many issues with my LCS and a severe lack of storage space, I ended up going digital for what comics I am still buying. Like everyone else has said, it's very well implemented and I've not yet run into any problems. The ability to download DRM-free PDFs of the comics I care about also greatly alleviated my main concerns, and was the tipping point for me to make the switch.

#9 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18839 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:42 AM

For me, I've used ComiXology sales to keep up on stuff I might not otherwise, be it cost or whatever. Case in point: IDW's Hasbro Universe, other Transformers, Ghostbusters, and TMNT comics, Plus Batman Beyond and Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows.

I'd love to own all of it physically, but I can't afford to and I don't have the space, but at a good discount, I can at least keep up. I find it a good trade-off versus potentially never reading a lot of stories I'd love to.

Other stuff, though -- Back to the Future, Sonic, and Power Rangers, some other odds and ends -- I still get physical.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

#10 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7616 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 05:48 PM

I love the regular prices because with international freight etc, buying a $3.99USD floppy off the shelf here will cost seven or eight bucks these days, more at some stores. On Comixology you only have to worry about the exchange rate so right now I'm looking at $5.50 for a $3.99 book.

But yes, the sales! They have ALWAYS got a bunch of stuff on sale, and it's worth watching them constantly because chances are if there's something you've been wanting to try out or catch up on, you'll get a ridiculous bargain sooner or later. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#11 Cattleprod

Cattleprod
  • Citizen
  • 2356 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:55 PM

In a recent sale I bought four volumes of Mark Waid's Flash for less than a physical copy of a single volume would be, and don't have to worry about finding storage space. Multiply that across various other series I buy on sale and it's been working out pretty good. I had a bunch of comics I stopped buying monthly that I told myself I'd eventually catch up with TPBs and they've been making it a lot easier. Even at 'full price' most of the digital collections end up costing less than half of what I'd pay for singles.

#12 Caldwin

Caldwin

Duality Personified

• Supporter
  • 25898 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 16 September 2018 - 05:09 PM

I had been getting some comics on Kindle. Out of curiosity, I just downloaded the ComiXology app. So, just like that I guess I have a 7-days-free trial for ComiXology Unlimited.

Nice it seems my Kindle comics automatically copied over to my ComiXology library. Still, a few questions.

1. Do I need to manually discontinue my Unlimited thing or am I going to automatically get charged to renew if I just let it go?

2. If I let this runout, I realize that means I won't be able to read the Unlimited books for free anymore. But will I be able to buy/subscribe to comics or will it be back to the Kindle app?

More than that, I guess I'll figure out in due time. But particularly that first question I"m wondering about.
PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#13 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18839 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 04:06 PM

For what it's worth, I've been using the app completely independent of Unlimited or Kindle. Never touched either one.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

#14 Caldwin

Caldwin

Duality Personified

• Supporter
  • 25898 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 04:44 PM

Well, I already see one advantage of Comixology over normal Comic Book Stores. My local store requires that you have at least 5 titles on your hold list before they give you a box. Here it looks like I can just have a single subscription if I so desire. Plus I'm guessing there's less of a chance of "oops, didn't see that on the list."

I'll probably let the Unlimited run out. I don't see very many of the free comics that really grab my attention. I did notice that while my Kindle purchases automatically make it into my Comixology library, it doesn't go the other way. *shrugs* I may still do my Manga through Kindle so I can get it on both apps. But since it often takes a while before new comics show up on Kindle, I may do normal comics through Comixology...if I can think of anything I actually feel like subscribing to at some point. Right now I'm just doing graphic novels.
PSN = Caldwin

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#15 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7616 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:26 PM

My local store requires that you have at least 5 titles on your hold list before they give you a box. 

That's barbaric! I've never heard of a store here doing that. 

I would love to be able to access Comixology Unlimited, but it's not available in Australia.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#16 Cattleprod

Cattleprod
  • Citizen
  • 2356 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 10:32 PM

Like, an individual box for each customer? That sounds really excessive. There's some people who let a backlog build up, but I think most customers come in weekly and those that don't are at least monthly. I have a pull list to avoid missing stuff on my weekly visits, not to let months of comics build up. There's a dozen or so other customers sharing 'my' box.

#17 Caldwin

Caldwin

Duality Personified

• Supporter
  • 25898 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 05:00 AM

Well, phrasing I suppose. Customers don't get an entire box to themselves.

But yeah, in order to have a pulllist, I would need to have at least 5 titles on that list. They used to be more flexible for me since I'd been going there for a while. But I I dropped out of the comics scene and when I went back, the person behind the counter was different...so :p
PSN = Caldwin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users